Tfw you fell for the gentoo meme

>tfw you fell for the gentoo meme
this literally took 5 days of compilation

Attached: neofetch-2018-04-05-11-30-26-2392.png (1280x800, 333K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs#Per-package_choices_at_compile_time
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just install clover os

>chrome
Please fuck off decompile yourself.

Well no shit it took five days to compile Chrome and all the graphics toolkits on a fucking Atom processor you dunce.

You could have used chrome-bin to save yourself some time, or clang-bin, or gcc-bin. There are lots of huge packages that you can use binary versions of to save yourself some time.

I second this guy:

>KDE
>Well there's 4 days accounted for.

Attached: amazing-houses-you-wish-to-live-in-2.jpg (2000x2000, 1.15M)

I fucking tried (not OP) and it wouldn't even launch the GUI on my machine. Unoptimized trash.

no systemd and meme tier config, no thanks
it's chrome, not chromium. there is no way to compile chrome with 2GB of ram, it would swap all the time and finally crash. I had to go down to -j1 to compile llvm and qtwebkit or it would use too much ram and end up crashing.
indeed plasma-meta took about 4 days but I'm glad I did it, it's really nice

>5 days
What a fucking toaster your computer is hahahahaha. Pro tip: for super low-powered machines like yours, use cross-compilation with a more powerful machine. You'll be done in a few hours.

if you go with a WM, TUI applications and a stripped down kernel config the entire thing takes about 3 hours to install on a modern machine

>install gentoo
>literally takes 2 days to emerge a web browser
wtf is this garbage?

Attached: 1496681884304.jpg (588x575, 46K)

>wants a distro that compiles everything from source
>complains when he has to compile from source
???

Configuration in Gentoo is much easier than in other "do it yourself" distros, like Arch. Additionally, the lack of systemd is 100% of the reason that I switched to Gentoo. I'm not gonna say "pootering" or "sjw cuck," I think systemd is technically a disaster.

Also, for what it's worth, you can use a swapfile to compile. It's not as fast, but it enables you to compile much larger packages. You can see that here: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs#Per-package_choices_at_compile_time

If you want a recommendation for a good TWM, I use awesome and it's very lightweight, and configurable. No one else seems to like it, though.

emerge firefox-bin

have you looked at void / devuan?
devuan's sid repo is actually up to date with debian

Why there is always something that fails to build?
Right now it's sys-devel/clang-6.0.0-r1

Maybe it would have been worth it to tell me a while ago, but I've been using Gentoo for several years now and I'm well into it. The autism is kicking in and I probably would switch to a BSD before to an "easier" choice, because, you know, the autism.

swapfile ends up crashing the kernel, I'm not sure it's because the swap is on an encrypted partition or not but I don't mind using a binary version of the browser.
>awesome
it's ok but I rather have full DE than some duct tape meme wm

I hear that. I used MATE a lot and really enjoyed it, but found myself often frustrated by how un-keyboard-friendly it was. If I could have used my keyboard more, I would have stayed on MATE. That or LXDE, I don't mind. I guess I'm used to awesome, and knowing some Lua as a result is a nice side-effect.

It could be an encrypted partition, but the only way you can know for sure is to poke through dmesg when you get a kernel panic. We'd appreciate it if you'd did it, too--it might help someone in the future.

installed debian and every stuff i need
20min
stops larping 9/g/ag

Not op, but I plan on doing this. The computer I want to install this has Win10 installed and I want to dualboot Clover Os. I had a quick look at the install script. Is it sufficient to choose manual partitioning or will I run in a lot of problems due to Uefi ?

Upgrade your pentium II

Attached: jackie.png (1920x1080, 2.64M)

Bullshit, since it didn't take whole 24 hours with first generation Core Duo (don't remember microarch name).

I only tried it in vm. It was really easy. I recommend to use manual partitioning because automatic one somehow ruined everything.

>genkernel
you deserve it

>genkernel
are you retarded or what? this kernel wasn't even compiled on gentoo fucktard

>spending a week compiling
>same could be achieved in 15 minutes
>don't read the code you compile anyway
Compiling is for people who want to change something specific that's otherwise wrong. I know I wouldn't so I don't want to fall for compiling meme.

>same could be achieved in 15 minutes
usually you would be right but this cherrytrail tablet/laptop needs a very specific kernel to have working sound, most distros don't work correctly due to gpu driver issue (vesa, efifb is broken so you need intel drm) and pulseaudio which is required for proper sound doesn't work on distros such as debian or arch. the only two distros that work properly are void and gentoo but void tends to break a lot so gentoo was the last good option

>Atom
>2G RAM

Attached: 1448671079190.jpg (569x567, 114K)

Mom-tier PC senpai

>Intel Atom
Gee I wonder why!

tried clover in a vm, gave me kernel panic after rebooting. never happened before desu

You don't compile Chrome for Gentoo, the package is a binary only. You compile Chromium.