Opinions: Cancel or go with it? Got cold feet/buyer's remorse now

I jumped the gun last week and ordered an laptop with the upcoming Intel Core i7-8705G (Kaby Lake with the Vega graphics). I am getting serious buyer's remorse. I bought it to replace a computer that wasn't working, and because the wait is so long, I had plenty of time to think out the issue, take it apart, and replace some cheap parts in the laptop. My 6 year old laptop is working fine again, and has 16GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD, and a Core i5 processor. Won't burn down the barn, but it does fine for what it is.

It's a very long wait, giving me too much time to think, lots of new stuff announced like those six core core i7 8750H processors, and that it won't ship to the end of next week. I am very seriously thinking of seeing if I can call up and cancel it. It was about $1800 with 16GB of ram and 1 TB NVMe, 15" 4K screen, metallic ultrabook body .

I feel like there are now those six-core processors, I was able to fix the computer that wasn't working for me over the last week, and $2K is a lot of fucking money... a lot.

Opinions?

Attached: Spectre.png (573x430, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Dell-G5587-7866BLK-PUS-G5-5587-Processor/dp/B07CD3MRZF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/dell-g7-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-7588-laptop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If your laptop needed repair it might not last that much longer or it might last another 4 years . Up to you , I'm assuming that the new laptop will go down in price later on.

Who was in the wrong ?

What did he mean by this ?

Will you ever recover ?

This and more after these commercial messages.

Godspeed

I've been a MacFag for 15+ years, and my patience with Apple has gone to shit in the last year (iPhone 7 replaced three times for failed hardware), and this. A failed hard drive ribbon cable was all the issue was.

The SSD in here has 3000 hours on it, utilities state the life of the drive is good with no issues. However, even with TRIM enabled, I am only getting an average of 168 MB/s write speeds and 519 MB/s. Boot-up takes about a minute or so.

What I got was an HP Spectre x360 15" w/ 4K screen, Intel Core i7-8705G (3.1 GHz base speed quad-core with Radeon Vega graphics), 16GB DDR4 RAM, and a 1 TB (Samsung) NVMe.

I use Linux and Windows at work, so this new laptop I would probably partition it right out the gate with 80GB, maybe 100-150 GB dedicated to Mint Linux (I'll store most of my data on the Windows partition), and on the Windows partition, I will overwrite it with Windows 10 Education (apparently, it is the same as Enterprise, and is a perpetual license).

Use: light photo and video editing, as well as some work in VMs.

2k is just a month or two of saving, so buy another laptop later, keep the spectre as backup.

There's also the new Dell XPS15 which has a better screen.

What stuff with 6-core processors have you seen?

Not for me. I work in higher education, for a fraction of the pay (and will be that way for a long time, since they are very deep in the red). I took an additional course to teach in the Fall that should pay this back (if the class doesn't get cancelled).

If you don’t have the largest income, I’d recommend canceling the order.
For money matters, the only thing better than making more money is not spending it to begin with.

Amazon: amazon.com/Dell-G5587-7866BLK-PUS-G5-5587-Processor/dp/B07CD3MRZF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Dell on the cheap for the G7 (granted it is in an ultra cheap plastic laptop shell and the screen is probably complete shit)
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/dell-g7-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-7588-laptop

Also, there is an XPS 15: XPS 15 (model 9570) ups the ante to a 6-core, 12-thread Core i7-8750H. Part of Intel's new enthusiast-class “Coffee Lake H” series of chips, the Core i7-8750H is essentially a mobile version of Intel’s powerful Core i7-8700K chip.

Gigabyte and Asus also announced 6 core laptops this week as well

>not a rog laptop
Dropped

I don't game. I do some video and photo editing, and have a few VMs that I switch between.

Brought dell latitude 5470 yesterday ( ~ 900$ ) and I think I will return it in a few days. Haven't seen such shameful display in my life when it comes to colors. White looks like someone pissed on it. What are some laptops with good keyboard, decent battery life and a nice display ( 14' ) that won't ruin a man?

Then a $200 shittop is enough you consumerist nigger

Maybe I would game if I didn't sell my soul to work a million hours a week.

I mean, there will always be something bigger and better around the corner. You have to figure out whether you want a laptop at all, before you figure out whether you like the specs.

I'm in a similar shape as you, actually. I have a 6-year old MBPR (thankfully in better shape than yours - 256GB/16GB/i7), but I kind of want to get a Windows laptop so I can use more Windows functionality, including games.

I doubt I'm upgrading Apple again, just because they've gone full retard with all-in-one enclosures and focusing on thinness over anything else. I still regard my current machine as God-tier, but I just am kind of disappointed with the backwards stances the company's taking.

But on the other hand, I don't really "need" a new laptop, so it is kind of a waste. My ideal machine would be something like an X1 Carbon with 4k and a decent gfx card, but so much for that.

Just sell some bitcoin, I dont see the problem

I would rather choose a small screen 11 or 12.5 inch device and spend the rest on a Japanese EV2785 BK monitor which acts like a docking station with its build in usb-c port

I had a 1 TB Crucial in here, which I bought because I thought the 512 GB SSD may have failed because it was 5.25 years old and I been running it at about 80% full. I put the Crucial in here, and same symptoms. I ordered the new laptop, and then ordered a HD ribbon cable. I had stopped by Apple 3 times, and got really no help from them at all other than the third time, I got them to image the 1 TB with OS X 10.11.

The ribbon cable came on Tuesday, and my best friend and I hung out, we replaced the ribbon cable, and it started right up with no issue. I tested the Crucial and it was a fucking rocket ship. It booted in less than 5 seconds and was silly fast running two generation old OS (10.11). BlackMagic Speed test gave me 530+ MB/s write and 530+ MB/s Read.

Since I ordered the new computer, I wiped the drive, and returned it. I put the old SSD back in here and it is running decent, but nowhere near as nice as the Crucial at full speeds on an older and lighter version of OSX before they did the new APFS (I guess that stands for Ass Pussy Fucking System), since that's what they did to me after upgrading to 10.13.

I am thinking of canceling the order, rebuying the 1TB Crucial, having it imaged back to 10.11, restoring from a backup I made back in December before upgrading to 10.13. And copying in anything I did since then.

You suck at being a macfag.

Time machine backup, sell Mac for $500-$600, apply money to cost of new Mac, and next time don't wait 6 years to get a new Mac so that way you can sell your old one for closer to the price of the new one and only have to put out $200 ish each time you get a new one.

Just make sure to keep time machine backups on the regular with some form of redundancy so when you get your new Mac it's like using the exact same Mac that magically got a full hardware overhaul. Seriously, this is the big "macfag secret". Macfags aren't wealthy, we just buy a laptop with the slowest depreciation and sell it after 3-4 years for 80% of what we paid for it in order to buy the newest version with the *illusion* that we can drop $2k on a computer like it's no big thing. Because it isn't a big thing.... If $1800 of it comes from selling your old one first ;^)

>getting dell
>ever
just get your money back, and get something else get something nice and thin like a new samsung laptop or some shit.

I don't know that there is a machine with a display that's fourteen feet corner to corner that won't ruin a man. You find one, let me know. I'm picturing 8k resolution on a display that big and it would he sexy

The newer Macs suck compared to my Mid-2012. The ram is soldered in, and the storage is a proprietary PCIe slot and size, which no one else makes. To get what I want (16GB RAM and 1 TB storage), I am looking at close to $3K Apple prices, and the processor is an old generation dual core processor. As much as I like their OS, that is complete bullshit.

I ordered an HP Spectre X360 15", not a Dell.

Also add in that there are almost no ports on the newer Mac notebooks, which require an adapter to plug anything in.

in the end you're gonna buy it anyway goy

Attached: 73e4d4585e60c54cce50bf93ce5e50191c25ed6d_full.jpg (184x184, 12K)

>hp
why thats same tier as dell, but hey some hps are nice, i would say you have a 50/50 shot of your computer working for a long time.

keep it off your nuts dude, it can cause fertility problems and other urinary issues. Buy a laptop lap desk thats made out of metal or anything thick.

Thanks for telling me your experiences with SSD swap; I was considering it, but I'm probably just going to get a couple of 128 low-profile USB drives (if you thought 512 was limiting, 256 even moreso).

I think he was referring to your links with the G7 and the XPS15; I've personally had terrible experiences with Dells compared to HP and Lenovo.

Lenovo's my PC brand of choice, but they're kind of retarded in that they don't put a decent gfx card in anything except their retarded gaymer laptops that have terrible aesthetics and >1080p screens. I could live with WQHD, but 1080 in 2018 is ridiculous.

If you don't care about gfx cards as much as I do, I'd look into an X1 Carbon, or Thinkpad 25. They're both really nice-looking machines and Lenovo has ultimate reliability.

Other than that, I think HP Spectre x360's the best of a bad bunch, but I'm probably going to wait for something better to come along personally, and just create a small onboard partition for Windows.

I put a cancellation in. While I wanted it, I had a ton of trouble justifying the expense. I actually asked them what my options were, and because I got India's call center, they just automatically processed the cancellation. I am sad to have cancelled it, but it is what it is.

Honestly, the 2012 MBPR (I'm assuming that's what you have) is a beast of a machine. I make more than $2k/month takehome, and I still can't justify it when I have a perfectly good machine sitting right here.

Yes, it is...

Attached: lappy.png (255x134, 26K)

I kind of hate High Sierra though.

Yeah, I love mine. I think OSX in general has been in a slow decline since Snow Leopard, but I actually am not quite as upset with High Sierra as I was with Yosemite or El Capitan.

My only regret hardware-wise is that I didn't have the $500 to sink into a 512 instead of a 256, but I'm planning on hopefully fixing that with low-profile USB drives.

I might cough up the $260 again and rebuy the Crucial. It ran like a dream in this machine. I just hope that I don't get a bad one because it would look fucked that I bought and returned the same item twice.

Why did you return it in the first place? And where did you buy it/how hard was the installation?

Micro Center. The Crucial MX500 1000GB is ~$250.

About 10 extremely small screws on bottom of laptop. Remove cover, easy to take in and out.

Just check to see what your model is and videos on it. Apple very quickly changed their hard drives after my model and everything is impossible to remove or upgrade now in the latest models.

Does Jow Forums usually have a laptop general? I don't come here often and I didn't see one. My 2009 MacBook Pro has decided it wants to retire and I don't even see a place to lurk for info.
I can't start a new thread just for this.

Why do you guys need discrete graphics for if you own a desktop?

I only have my six year old 13" Macbook Pro. I don't have a desktop because I travel back and forth between two places that are 120 miles apart.

You did good man you can always rebuy if you need to, it’s sounds like you were having second thoughts so you did the right thing

Well there is the thinkpad general but be prepared for someone to recommend you buy an ancient used laptop for $200

HP is the biggest piece of shit bottom of the barrel computer company in the world.

Return that shit and get literally anything else.

Asus is a shit brand.

Honestly dude at this point I lost faith on all consumer tier laptops.

Basically every company has shit consumer support, they overheat, warranty problems.

I know Thinkpads, latitudes and elitebooks are not that sexy, but those things actually work and are reliable.

Cancel it and get something cheaper.

If you need it for work, why are they not providing you with one?

I have a dell xps13 9360 8gb ram 256gb nvme, probably around the same price point as the hp you ordered.

I've been really happy with mine. I think around this price point you get some really good machines with dell and hp. If you feel like your repaired machine might break again in the future, then just keep the order and maybe sell your old one second hand to make yourself feel better.

New laptops these days have really fucking good battery life too, which once you get used to is amazing.

it's a 16:9 laptop. It's worthless junk.
Wait for the Matebook X Pro

>Only $2k
;-)))

I travel a lot for werk, so a desktop is practically useless in my case.

The best computer is the one you have.