/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
>Most minimal
LFS

>Obscure minimal
FreeDOS, Plan 9

>Hipster minimal
Crux, Source Mage, GuixSD, Void, FreeBSD

>Autistic/sane minimal
OpenBSD, Gentoo, Alpine

>Most sane minimal
Debian (netinst), Arch Linux

>Minimal programs lists
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: 1522892308620.png (500x2000, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
pastebin.com/XBTXuip5
pastebin.com/ykhgkt8r
en.wikipedia
suckless.org/rocks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md
pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r
youtube.com/watch?v=PcoDTpwRzWY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I feel like this general is dead. Fuck my gay life

features are bloat
doing things is harmful
0 > 1

it's not dead it's minimal.

Two questions:

1) Is there any reason not to use btrfs at all times?

2) How do you keep package counts low? I feel like I can install any distro, and by the time I get i3 set up, and audio working, etc. I'm already at like 800-1000 packages.

package count doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Ram usage does.

The lower the ram usage the more minimal your system actually is.

Also use this infographic

Attached: minilo.png (700x2000, 164K)

Guess I'm doing good then. Got loads of shit going on and I'm under 3 gigs.

Attached: 2018-04-05-154445_615x95_scrot.png (615x95, 10K)

If I remember correctly not all distros read packages the same way. So sometimes packages will be bundled and give the appearance of less installed, depending on the distro you use.

1) It's relatively slow, both in terms of CPU and disk time. It doesn't have a lot to offer vs. ext4/xfs + LVM for single disk deployments unless you're a butterfuss power user, and it's a lot more unreliable.

2) Fuck package count.

Are you doing 3gigs without anything running? That's bad. You should be at 110mib with xorg and your wm running.

I literally said in that post that I have loads of shit running. It's mostly palemoon using up the RAM.

Feeling pretty comfy

Attached: minimal.png (1920x1080, 174K)

Stop creating this shit thread.

more like bloated botnet cucky

I might stop in june.
post ram usage with nothing running at all expect for terminal.

>Is there any reason not to use btrfs at all times?
Parity raid afaik is still fucked and will lead to corruption. I guess it would be fine for RAID10, but I don't know much about it.
>You should be at 110mib with xorg and your wm running.
not him, but mine is usually at 70mib or so with xorg and the wm

>not him, but mine is usually at 70mib or so with xorg and the wm

it depends on different computers and shit mane
but usually it's 60mib to 120mib

Any alternative to zsh that actually has features? If not, what's the best zsh plugin manager to use?

mksh
what features do you even need

read the op...
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>>Hipster minimal
>FreeBSD
Can we replace that deprecated bullshit with DragonflyBSD already?

Is there truly no terminal emulator better than urxvt?

>DWM/ST is SO MINIMAL!
>proceeds to install 20 packages to build it

why do you use this shit?

Have you tried termite?

Arch is bloat

Shoo shoo

If you don't already need dwm's build dependencies, you're the exact sort of person it excludes by design.

is it more /minimal/?

No but it's better.

I'm trying to set up a minimal gentoo
Base with x.org and i3 and all base meta packages for qt and gtk
I'm on arround 700 packages
most of them I don't know
Wanna manage software I use by myself
Portage is good but the whole system base is in danger by using it
which packages I could remove?

Arch Linux isn't bloated? Hmm well alright

It's time we put that meme in the ground. With the Arch Build System, you can split your packages and set your flags all the way you like them.

>you can split your packages and set your flags
What does this mean?

Means that epic memers don't have a leg to stand on. It was the last piece of "evidence" that Arch is bloated. Don't worry about though, splitting packages and setting USE flags is so autistic, you'd be on Gentoo if that was something you cared about.

He means manually creating your own arch packages using the build system for literally everything. At that point just use LFS for fuck's sake.

Is linux mint good?

good for granny and people coming directly from windows. Not minimal though.

No, use Debian with XFCE instead

>People coming directly from windows
Me, I'm tired of using windows, is linux mint a good choice?

Probably. Ask

Thanks

Mint has maximum just werks, but it only werks until the next major upgrade. Sometimes not even that long.

Attached: 1502732648112.png (660x734, 38K)

Ubuntu MATE is a better choice.

How come Slackware isn't on the minimal distro list? Was there a discussion about it? I haven't been on Jow Forums for awhile so im not sure if anything happened

Yeah it was a part of my distro list, uwu
but now I guess OOP (original op) or whoever made this is just doing whatever with it now. I really don't mind it too much, as it is at least inclusive of BSD, Crux, Source mage, and a few of the more obscure choices. It's not exactly as i'd like it, but i'm too tired of arguing about it to bother.
This was my OS list pastebin, complete with useful links for each choice
pastebin.com/XBTXuip5

what happened to the pastebin in the OP that explained how to set up ALSA and not use pulseaudio?

That's here. It keeps getting left out for some reason.
pastebin.com/ykhgkt8r

tell me one person in Jow Forums that actually needs to install libx11-dev, libxinerama-dev and libxft-dev for their day-to-day work

Thank you. Why does it keep getting left out.

i dunno >_<

Here's my full OP text. Hopefully someone will use it.

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
pastebin.com/XBTXuip5

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md (Guide to installing CRUX and Source Mage)

>Pastebins
Alternatives to Bloatware github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Name anything more minimal that doesnt require just as many if not more

literally any other window manager distributed as a binary in your distribution's package manager.

the "perfect amount" of configuration is through text files like literally everything else in the system.

dwm and st could be even more minimalistic with a text-based config file as you wouldn't need a bunch of headers, a C compiler, make, etc.

they go against their own minimalistic approach just so it makes things more elitist.

even if your workflow includes programming in C regularly you'll never ever need headers for xinerama, xft, xlib and friends.

nigger just bookmark it and fuck off.
fucking hell

Everything you say is true
...if your measurement of minimalism is disk space and package count.

>dwm and st could be even more minimalistic with a text-based config file as you wouldn't need a bunch of headers, a C compiler, make, etc.

>they go against their own minimalistic approach just so it makes things more elitist.

>elitist
I watched this interview and i know why.
Watch it and he explains everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=PcoDTpwRzWY

Am I allowed to use Openbox?

No, if you have entered this thread there is a death squad in place, which will "take care of you", if you ever decide to break these extremely vaguely defined rules about what "minimalism" is.

this.
install dwm or kill yourself

Take dwm and shove it up your ass

I have. It's so minimal you dont need to shove it

Just because dwm uses less ram than openbox does not mean it’s less minimal, I will keep using openbox, and keep participating in these threads

Openbox is bloat. im sorry for your loss of brain cells

No it’s not

try dwm, take the dwm pill user

Nah go FrankenWM. It's somehow even lighter than dwm.
Not that this matters at all (dwm is more than light enough), but it might appeal to your autism

As openbox is light enough

who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Attached: file.jpg (600x800, 124K)

>uzbl's webkit rendering engine has network support
fuck that, i want an html renderer that has zero network, css, and js support. networking would come from curl or wget and feed into the renderer. my own styling would be used for every website. if i need js i could pipe into an external js interpreter if that's possible/feasible

Add awesome wm to the list of DEs. It's light and simple to use due to sane defaults and intuitive shortcuts. You can use it without any configuration whatsoever.

I've installed Void but [[ -z $DISPLAY....]] in .bash_profile won't automatically startx on login. How does Void handle this?

Also, how do I enable suspend on lid close? If anything, are there any good online resources for void?

what DE/WM?

Attached: 35.jpg (739x800, 70K)

Never mind, I'm retarded. There's a forum. I don't really see how this is any lighter than Arch though. Does runit really make that much of a difference?

Put 'exec yourWM/DE' into .xinitrc and then execute startx on login. Or install a logon manager, like slim.

Suspend, sleep, etc. worked out of the box for me so can't help you there.

Also, I find the IRC channel to be a better place for support than the forum.

And yes, runit makes a big difference. My 2013 laptop boots in under 10s.

No u

>>proceeds to install 20 packages to build it
are you by any chance on a windows based disrribution ?

Of course not. The point is that if you don’t do any C development work, everything you need to build dwm/st is bloat. Actually, even if you’re a C developer chances are you’ll never need the headers needed to build dwm.

Is Xmonad bloat? I like the idea of programming my WM in Haskell.

Is there a way I can get the active window and the program bar to two different colors? As well as font color.

Attached: 1523011330805.png (1366x768, 33K)

It’s dwm, just read the source code.

Can we change the name to /fmg/ friendly minimalism general

>And yes, runit makes a big difference. My 2013 laptop boots in under 10s.
I also do notice runit is considerably lighter and faster than systemd. I don't have much experience with OpenRC distros, so I can't say how they compare, but runit is super comfy

^.^

I know it's dwm, I'm made the changes to the config. Looking back, I changed the foreground, but I can't tell what window I'm on unless I open a program because that's handled by the background.

>t. brainlet

How much RAM are you taking up? Might go to rofi for the aesthetics.

Does anybody else do this on Windows? Disabling animations make the entire OS miles faster to operate.

Attached: 1502231574715.jpg (228x240, 17K)

fucking get out

reeee

Someone knows ClamAV? I was thinking on using it on a container inside of a server, so I can download things safe there for shady places.

why does that pic make my dick hard

Because it includes systemd by default, i think it would be smart to replace Arch in the OP with Parabola. on top of being free, Parabola rolls with OpenRC. (though a systemd version is avaliable as well so we should also clarify the one we mean.) I would reccomend artix, the continuation of Arch OpenRC, but the current release is not very stable due to the youth of the distro.

>please add more meme distros cause i said so!

> /mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimautism General

>FreeDOS
>Minimal
Just rename this the brain minimalism general and get it over with

owo here
I would recommend if OPs include an Arch in their list (since they're probably gonna do it anyway), they should specify Parabola with OpenRC.

Antix is waaaaay older than Arch openRc. It's not a young distro you retard.

It uses a lot if RAM compared to other WM's

you must be thinking of something else, because artix was made to replace arch openrc and manjaro openrc

I3