Modern cars

Alright Jow Forums, help this ignorant user understand one thing:

My Kia Sportage 2017 Ex Tech's battery died after only 11 months. I jump started it, and it wasn't properly charging. As I drove to my cousin's parking, the lights would turn on and off, and as I was backing up to the parking, the steering wheel and the breaks were acting funny.

This made me think: Now that almost everything in modern cars are electronic, how safe are they really? and also, is there any truth to those conspiracy theories that ((((they)))) can remotely control our cars? Not driving them specifically, but to, say kill the brakes, or accelerate and taking the control away from the driver?

I'm starting to feel paranoid and think perhaps I should switch to an old but top-tier car. Like a 1990's Range Rover, or Land Cruiser.

Attached: 261034.jpg (620x414, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/
spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/military/darpa-invites-techies-to-turn-offtheshelf-products-into-weapons-in-new-improv-challenge
wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a26289/hackers-shut-down-tesla-model-s/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bumping

Onstar could disable cars back in the late 90's.
Electric power steering, the physical connection between the gas pedal and the throttle body is long gone. Electronic stability control can apply the brakes, even if you're not.
Not saying that it's something that actually happens, but a lot of the pieces are there to make it happen.

Congratulations you fried you car by jump starting it.

Hey OP
Wouldn't really worry about people taking control of the shitty $5 sensors they put in the car. They would have to plug something into your CAN bus to control anything (that's how mechanics reset the engine check light and all that shit). Driving an old car may give you less of a chance for failure of electronics but all the electronics are designed to limp home if they fail so you don't die because that would be bad for the engineers in charge.
Driving an old car with a solid metal body would be much more dangerous than driving a modern car. One accident could easily slam your head into the dash and kill you because the force is not distributed over the frame of the car. Modern cars are designed to have crumple zones that dissipate these forces in an accident. Currently a senior at a public university taking automotive mechanics and hydraulics classes on this stuff.

>I jump started it,
you shouldn't do that in modern cars

I called Kia 24hr service thing that is free, and they came and did it.

>you shouldn't do that in modern cars

I've never heard this before. Are you guys messing with me?

Thanks user. Wise words.

Yeah they can remote control your car. Seen the movie I.T (w/Perice Brosman)? They can do that shit now. Only a mater of time before someone uses this as a way to "hit" some bastard who's got a "contract" out on them. No finger prints, no dna. A criminal or hitman's dream. A self driving car recently ran over some poor fool in case you missed it.

that's what my mechanic told me (old friend from school, so no bs), like the other user said, it fries your car

Well, fortunately the warranty took care of it and it's all good now.

Just curious though: What do you do with a modern car when the battery dies?

You're full of shit. You can jump start anything. It's fine.

you use the motorcycle in your trunk

Don't listen to them user.

I knew they were trying to fool me...

Attached: 1355780052681.gif (260x192, 1.95M)

It's a fucking closed system ECU idiot. The only vulnerabilities are in your locks and remote start/stop. They can't cut out your brakes or fuck your electronic steering.

Yeah, cars that came with an Onstar system installed. It's not like Onstar could just randomly disable anyone's car.

I do work for dealerships and I spend all winter jump starting new cars. I bet they're very angry with me!

Same user, nevermind, I'm a retard

wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/

Why tf would Chrysler design a wireless accessible system that has any connection to the BUS

It's an example to show that the technology has existed for a long time already. Not sure exactly which other cars have the same capabilities. I'd assume luxury cars, or anything expensive enough to merit a remote immobilizer.

>wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/
What the fuck. That article exactly explains that my fear is real.

Anons were telling me this is imposibru tho.

Attached: 1209386_667673503257543_1206895282_n.jpg (500x333, 42K)

>Chrysler
>being smart
>any year

Remote immobilizer doesn't surprise me, that's included in quite few cars and is a vulnerability. But they were able to cut the brakes or change the steering angle, vital driving systems should be nowhere near a wireless system.

True.

any modern car with a CANBUS connected smart radio and the entire thing is vulnerable

Sounds like an alternate problem, get a multi meter and test it or see if there is a way to see your voltage output from the car itself.

spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/military/darpa-invites-techies-to-turn-offtheshelf-products-into-weapons-in-new-improv-challenge

Alternator*

>how safe are they really? and also, is there any truth to those conspiracy theories that ((((they)))) can remotely control our cars?

This is not a conspiracy theory. There are mainstream news coverage of this.
wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a26289/hackers-shut-down-tesla-model-s/