/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: STOMP.jpg (300x296, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Permissions
docs.kali.org/introduction/kali-linux-default-passwords
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/appman.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How much gnu could a gnuchuck chuck if a gnuchuck could chuck gnu?

how do i remove the tilda from my terminal (zsh)? But show path for any other directory

Why is he being so aggressive I’ve never seen her like this before

I want a GNU nigger

Install GuixSD

Stop.

Cinnamon or Xfce?

Xfce if you’re willing to make it look nice, cinnamon if you don’t want to bother

What are D bus and Consol kit

maybe do some kind of if then in your .zshrc that changes your PS1 based on the current directory?

>Installed CloverOS
>Everything is miles ahead of Arch
>Except for one thing
>Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-5.ucode failed with error -2
>Wifi works five minutes after boot
So the kernel is looking for iwlwifi-6000-5.ucode but the actual firmware it needs is iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode which is in /lib/firmware. I tried renaming *-4.ucode to *-5.ucode but then at boot it looks for iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode. I've downloaded iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode manually and put it in /lib/firmware but that doesn't help either. It seems like the other option I have is to recompile the kernel and explicitly mention iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode in /lib/firmware.
Is there some other way of fixing this problem that doesn't involve recompiling the kernel? If there isn't, is there a guide for retards out there (not the official gentoo docs) I can look at so that I do it properly?

Why are you using that distro in the first place

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus

It's lighter than Arch and doesn't use SystemD. No free firmware for my wifi card so I can't use Parabola.

why not just gentoo

Just use gentoo dude or void

A top Linux security programmer, Matthew Garrett, has discovered Linux in Symantec's Norton Core Router. It appears Symantec has violated the GPL by not releasing its router's source code.

Attached: 7BD89FF9-DE42-416E-A3A6-420E62E56E12.jpg (949x1024, 202K)

I just wanted to learn how to use Gentoo first while having a proper, functional operating system instead of working up from an unusable and buggy one. That's how I learned how to use Arch properly. Learn through Manjaro and switch off to a clean install of bare Arch

You learn how to use Gentoo by installing gentoo and reading the damn Gentoo handbook

Jow Forumsentlemen, I need some help. This is driving me crazy! I'm running Arch as my daily distribution, and I love it, but I have this problem: when I'm watching a video, it suddenly freezes and the audio keep going. This happens when I use aegisub. Video playback only works a few seconds. Also, when I play a video on Firefox, the same thing happens. Especially watching Crunchyroll videos, youtube and mpv works fine. Any ideas? My WM is i3. I am using mesa and xf86-video-intel as my video drivers. It does not seem to be a driver problem because I switched to xf86-video-vesa, but the same thing still happens.

how do i change the sensitivity of the thinkpad clit mouse in arch linux?

Attached: Cq88rkoWAAAaiKC.jpglarge.jpg (1561x2048, 319K)

Well I made the switch

Attached: 2018-04-06-003906_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 176K)

Depends on which driver you’re using

Check syslog at the time of the freeze

how do i check that?

echo 255 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/sensitivity

Here you go
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

Hey guys, I was here yesterday asking about pulling data from a possibly busted laptop, and it was suggested i use a USB SATA. I got the laptop to turn on, but now my battery indicator light is constantly flashing and nor recognizing the charger. Could my battery be junk, or is it more likely the port. Already tried another adapter

Attached: Tux.jpg (225x225, 6K)

When I plug in the charger it changes my available battery time from 2:08 at 38% to 10:02 at 38%. Format is hours:minutes. I assume this means its recognizing its plugged in, but it doesnt show that its charging

How can I do that?

man "D bus and console kit"

1) What a good tips for optimizing linux for low RAM amount usage?

2) Is it true that you leave 10-20 unmarked space while patritioning the SSD to make it live longer?

3) what tools are used in linux to see the health of SSD?

Attached: 1463521111795.png (890x747, 776K)

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

user i have no clue how to do that within a zshrc can you push me towards the right direction?

maybe an oh-my-zsh theme could do that

1- Have a lot of swap?

2- I'm pretty sure SSD's have over-provisioning built in.

3- smartctl from the smartmontools package

Isnt swap only used when memory becomes full?

yes, from what I saw even if you set your "swappiness" kernel variable to aggressive swapping it still won't use the pagefile/swap partition until there is memory left

Having a light system (no GUI or simple WM/DE, no unneeded services, no huge things running) can reduce your "really used RAM" usage but the kernel will still use your RAM for caching.

Today I launched my laptop with debian9 and KDE didn't load up. I have now only black-white console. What to do?

Every time I update my Ubuntu server via apt-get upgrade, it says this. What does it mean? Why is it a warning? What is it a warning for? Should I be worried?

Attached: Untitled.png (405x18, 1K)

How can i disable all logs on linux?
i dont want for example this
Last login: Fri Apr 6 10:19:50 2018 from XXX.XXX.XX.XX

Is it possible to give my user permanent bluetooth permissions so I don't have to run my bluetooth scripts with sudo?

Attached: thinking.png (960x656, 850K)

Is there a way I can get the active window and the program bar to two different colors? As well as font color.

Attached: 2018-04-06-064047_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 33K)

He's right you know. Can't let a good RAM go to waste :3

Attached: qwe_download.jpg (283x405, 71K)

> How can i disable all logs on linux?
You configure your system logger. And then applications, if you want ALL logs gone.

Yes, for example on Gentoo it is:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Permissions

newbie here
how to make DE(xfce4) run on arch linux with nvidia proprietary drivers?
it ran fine with vesa but now with nvidia there is black screen with a single cursor top left.
there were a few warning in Xorg.0.log file i took care of them the last warning to stay is:
hotplug is on device "smth.. smth"
drivers "mouse" & "kbd" will be disabled.

inb4: read wiki
i tried

How the fuck are you supposed to get Unity for Linux to work on Arch? Can someone help a brainlet out?

hope you talk about the game engine... not the DE

After ten years i am finally buying a new peesee
So i wonder, since the new hw will support the fancy shit, should i do the gpu passthrough dual monitor setup for linux and windows?

Currently i am using windows 10 with ubuntu subsystem and i can't really find any advantage to using gpu passthrough since the subsystem can do everything normal linux can and i don't even need a second monitor or second gpu

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 129K)

Yea, the game engine. I know they have a linux distribution, but I can only find instructions on installing it for ubuntu.

Ironically there seem to be a few tools on windwos to make a linux live USB which has some persistence storage, but I can't seem to find a straight-forwards guide on how to do that from within linux (I'm on ubuntu). Is is a seperate partition? is a sparse file injected into the image? how does it work?

By not using shitty niché distros but ones with actual official support

Yea, that's what it's lookin like I'll have to do. Ubuntu it is.

Is there any way to integrate Firefox with KDE's file dialogs in Fedora? I know this is possible on OpenSuse.

You mean Ubuntu still supports Unity?

Just like, install it.

Attached: unity.png (1920x1080, 164K)

they're talking about the unity game engine. Unity the DE was dropped a while back.

What is the default password on the kali usb install? I am new to this and decided to install kali on a usb for lolz and now I can't access it. I was never asked to make one before

docs.kali.org/introduction/kali-linux-default-passwords

thanks

>gpu dies so i'm forced to get a new one
>has vulkan support
>dxvk progressed at an alarming rate
never thought i'd be able to play NieR:Automata in Wine so soon
bummer FAR doesn't work, but at least Wine isn't susceptible to the fullscreen resolution issue (a Wine virtual desktop acts like a monitor with only one available resolution, so the game can't fuck it up)

Attached: 2018-04-07-004524_1920x1080_scrot.jpg (1920x1080, 1.88M)

do you want to install linux to a USB or use a live ISO and have a 2nd partition for persistent storage?

How do I set up a braille font for urxvt?

Attached: 2018-04-06-231605_1330x712_scrot.png (1330x712, 73K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Linux/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Linux operating system: the whole system is basically Linux with Linux added, or Linux/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux/Linux.

Hello, I'm installing Ubuntu for the first time to dual boot with Windows 10.

I have some 80 GIGS reserved from 1 single SSD to it.
Is 20-25G okay for / and rest to /home? I read that Swap is optional?

oh fugg how do I proceed misters

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-06 15-45-24.png (3840x2160, 761K)

Yes, 20GB should be enough.
Linux supports swap via swapfile so no need to dedicate a partition, you can create a swapfile anytime later if you decide to do something that requires that much RAM.

I'm a bit lost here since this Windows partitioning looks whacky as fuck

Do I just start splitting the 'free space' 80539mb to different pieces for / and home?

How do I open .jar on Linux?
I tried java -jar .jar but I got this error:
Error: Could not find or load main class .

I tried mark it as executable and double clicked it but all it did was open it like archive.

hi, tech brainlet here
How do I install Debian on PC if there is no Linux drivers for its motherboard?
It's an old Acer business workstation btw

Attached: 1481351934290.jpg (874x684, 79K)

Attached: 1467656340265.gif (480x238, 415K)

How do you know if it has no driver if you haven't installed it yet?

pls, help

there are only win 7 drivers on the Acer website

Make sure your installed JRE version is supported by the jar.

Of course they will only provide drivers for Windows since Linux might already have it on the kernel itself
Try the live ISO first and see if it works.

GUI editors are for retards. Learn to use a terminal you fucktards

oh, I will try it then
thanks

How do I know if it's supported or not?
my java -version returns this:
openjdk version "1.8.0_151"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2-b12)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)
But, strangely, my java --help returns error like this:
Unrecognized option: --help
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
Is it perhaps relevant to me not being able to execute jar file?

Can I just copy stuff from my Windows partition to my Ubuntu partition by using the default installed file manager?

Is there a way to put Mint on a thumb drive? I have a computer with Windows on it. In the past, I set up dual boot Windows and Mint, but I don't want to do that again. I just want to be able to plug in the thumb drive and use Mint. I guess I'll only be able to use it on the same hardware/computer too?

I recently installed Manjaro with architect iso, picking i3 as DE/WM

Editing the slim.conf doesn't seem to be working at all, like trying to have the numlock on at start time, or changing the theme.

I'm starting to wonder if it's using another login manager by default or if there is another conf file i'm missing other than /etc/slim.conf

It's driving me crazy

>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
>Try disroot, autistici or aktivix
Is ProtonMail not good? I hate Google and don't want to use Gmail.

Yes. Just mount the windows partition somewhere and then browse it like any other directory.

Threadly reminder.

Attached: 1467266980023s.jpg (240x246, 10K)

Usually yes. In most filemanagers you can find not mounted partitions on the sidebar. Just click on them. It might ask for root/sudo password.

Attached: 1471540327011.png (1094x4290, 1.29M)

It would give you an error if it was incompatible.

I'm thinking what you have might just be a jar that isn't, you know, runnable, at least not with a default main class.

>Xfce if you’re willing to make it look nice,

This requires 5 minutes tops.

1) Google "[your distro here] Arc theme"
2) Type "sudo dnf install arc-theme" or similar according to step 1
3) Change your appearance style and window manager style to one of the Arc variants you just installed in the settings menu.
4) Download a mouse cursor pack from somewhere if a black cursor bothers you.
5) Right click panel, Panel preferences, Appearance, solid color, #000000, then Items, Window Buttons, Appearance, Show flat buttons, check

Job done.

Related docs:
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/appman.html

If a jar doesn't define an entry point to run it as program, then it's just not runnable. A lot of libraries contained in jar obviously don't have anything runnable.

It looks like this. It allows me to browse Windows file system without sudo passwords or anything.

How fucked will Windows 10 turn out if I cut and paste 60 gigs of saved documents from there to Ubuntu?

I mean, what's the chance I fucking kill my Windows? Probably very high. I don't really care if I can extract everything I need to just by cut-paste operation lol.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-06 20-20-22.png (1780x1176, 138K)

>How fucked will Windows 10 turn out if I cut and paste 60 gigs of saved documents from there to Ubuntu?
Not really, unless you move the wrong folders.

But why would you move the Windows folder or "system volume information" or such if you move your documents?

Basically if you just move your document files, it should be just fine.

I have the same errors when I was trying to make Minecraft work yesterday.
The main thing I realized that it won't work on jre8-openjdk but will work on jre8.

is there a way to
- remove Ubuntu Dock
- add favorite programs to the task bar
sorta like in XFCE but without XFCE installation

Uh, no clue if this applies to your situation, but there are docks/task bars like DockBarX, Docky, Avant Window Navigator, GLX-Dock, Plank...

fugg guys
i lost my mouse?
it just vanished from my ubuntu and i only have screen keyboard left lmao

dell xps 9560

Hello all. I am a burgeoning autist, and I have, what I consider, a stupid question. I've installed firejail and it's accompanying gui, and I thought instead of launching the gui, maybe I could edit the command in the browser launcher so as not to pull up the gui each time. I went ahead and did it (firejail firefox %u) and I'm actually using firefox from that command now. My question is, am I actually using firejailed firefox atm? Is there a way I could check from the terminal? Sorry in advance if this seems even too brainlet a question for the friendly thread.