Why are "gaming" laptops so fucking ugly...

Why are "gaming" laptops so fucking ugly? Is it not possible to pack the same performance into a frame that doesn't look like an 80's sci-fi hologram projector?

Attached: alienware-m17x-special-edition-gaming-laptop-01[1].jpg (500x383, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P51/p/22TP2WPWP51?menu-id=P51
blog.ichibanelectronic.com/laptops/xiaomi-takes-aim-at-razer-with-its-first-gaming-laptop/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A friend of mine works at Alienware in marketing - Alienware in Q4 '18 is putting out a product that looks like the old area 51 laptops to compete with the Razr blade.

I agree, shit looks awful. I'm getting really sick of gaymen crap. Enough with the fucking RGB. Enough with inflated prices. Enough with the manchildren buying them.

Who buys ''gaming'' laptops? Children. So you should realise that they are designing them with that demographic in mind.

Eh I slightly beg to differ. I travel a lot and like to game laying in bed. I agree, the appeal is casuals/women/children, but I have a fairly legitimate reason to want power in a small form factor. But when I return home...

Attached: 29695129_2067222356822966_3985811113332703232_o.jpg (4032x3024, 731K)

simple
gaymers want their laptops to look like a musclecar

>Windows

Attached: 1395822406230.gif (320x240, 147K)

It really is terrible. And it is infesting everything.

I recently moved in to a new place and was looking into new monitor, keyboard and mouse, new pc case etc.

Anything that offers at least a bit more than general 5$ casual shit immediately gets "gamer" tagged on it with fucking lights and shitty decals that scream gaming.

I don't want a monitor with red stripes and neons blinking on the bottom. I just want a 144hz monitor.

I don't need wasd to be red and my keys to blink rgb colours, i am fine with a simple black keyboard. It is so incredibly annoying

because they're made for underaged gaymers

It's completely possible to get a high performance laptop that doesn't scream "i go to overwatch and fortnite tournaments"
www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P51/p/22TP2WPWP51?menu-id=P51

Are you retarded, there's tons of 144hz monitors with sleek design and tons of keyboards, mech or not, that don't have any rgb or special colored key apps.

this. bought an asus
looked grey on the website
arrived with BIGASS logo and black and red
I love it to death but wish my work / game computer was bit more discreet

Xiaomi actually does a good job with the gaming laptop that is being released next week - both from points of hardware and looks.

No logo no shit, you can actually bring it to work.

blog.ichibanelectronic.com/laptops/xiaomi-takes-aim-at-razer-with-its-first-gaming-laptop/

Attached: xiaomi-mi-gaming-laptop-15-6-5.jpg (970x613, 43K)

Even entirely possible under $1000 nowadays, and especially considering cooling situations have gotten 1000x better on laptops in the past 3 years, the 1060 outperforms a 980m easily now

Attached: image.jpg (1125x2436, 704K)

Good luck RMAing that shit.

Because of edgy kids

I thought that thread was about aesthetics in gaming laptops and not about RMAing? And there China does a better job than the kiddie focussed markets in the rest of the world.

Good thing the world is not about you.

Dells are complete utter shit for gayming.
Temperatures with 6th generation+ intels are holy awful. Specially the i7. Even high end gaming laptops overheat like crazy. Only MSI has perfect cooling capability for those.
The main problem, in my opinion, with buying a laptop with a 1060 or 1070 is that they introduced the Max-Q design which actually cuts down on a 20-30% power of the cards in order to save up heating, space and money. The worst fucking part is that most of the time they don't even say it in the specs of the laptop, so they rip you off.

Nice blog

Attached: IMG_20180406_092450.jpg (1080x1920, 336K)

With temps, what are you even talking about? Every site thats reviewed the 7577 has not gotten their gpu+cpu over 80c and mine even idles quite low (~25-30c) considering its a laptop
I will slightly agree with you on the max q part, however the dell actually overclocks it up to close the original 1060 spec because the thermals are good

Oh well, there is no way you could open those stuff and put electrical tape on them? I did that with my router due the fact it had like 4 or 5 green lights blinking all the time.

Electric tape and problems weren't.

Looks good to me.
I have lenovo y70-50 (or is it y50-70?...) which is 'gamerish' red black thing. Most powerful thing I could get for that price, looks good, backlit keyboard, good screen, light, battery serves good enough, works great. (body is bit shit...). What I am saying is - 1. Just because you don't like looks of something doesn't make it bad. 2. OP is fucking idiot and a fag.

Yes its anecdotal evidence, but this is 5 minutes after playing some Arma 3 on it

Attached: This speccy.png (825x656, 127K)

Attached: asus_rog_GL752VS__27504_zoom.jpg (800x400, 21K)

Try extensive tests that put the system on high stress to test a system's cooling capability. I use sources such as notebookcheck and notebookreview .com. (Then you can also see it on forums, specially if you have a 1070 or a 1080, not a maxQ design).
Laptops force your I7 to not reach turbo mode most of the time so that it keeps temps in check.

>i5
>maxQ

Google: 1070 i7 gayming laptops

It was the only website google gave me with a picture of the lid. Just pic another, dude

I dont disagree with you that some laptops (especially ones using higher end graphics cards) can easily overheat, especially if theyre using subpar cooling
However this dell can EASILY push 60+ fps @1080p on ultra with 99% of games, which while on the go which is all I need

Yes there are. But not tons. Especially not when compared to the in your face gamer ones that flood the market.

I don't think your statement's right about pushing ultra on 99% of games.
Maybe the ones you've tried.
I am a fan of gayming laptops to be honest. I've used them as my main station for over 10 years now, and I was planning on getting a new one with an I7 7820HK + 1080. But even the lower 6700hq + 1070 laptops suffered from horrible overheating according to almost every high stress tests I've seen in in-depth reviews online. People had to undervolt their CPUs and mod their laptops' cooling systems... And delidding was kinda the only real option if you wanted to fully use those systems.

Now, I was considering on getting a custom laptop with a coffee lake 8700K + 1080 from one of those Clevo sellers. Then I found out that the 8700K won't reach turbo mode most of the time due to temperatures... and will stay at like 3.4k GHz. I don't want that, since I wanna play on highest settings on every game I throw at it and at 120+ FPS if possible.
That's hardly achievable with modern laptops, I can't even imagine how they'll fare when they release new games for the upcoming years...

Plus you've got the new Coffee Lake that's not in laptops as of yet and the upcoming new nvidias (eventually...). So I've decided to actually get a small form factor PC with a mini ITX board that I can carry in my luggage.
Better cooling, cheaper, higher specs, upgradeability, overclocking...

So buy mobile workstations instead, equal or better hardware, and no bullshit looks

>gaymers want their laptops to look like a musclecar

I'd rather my laptop look like a locomotive

All Ive needed is something I can take to work and play on downtime and this dell has been perfect. Yeah, maybe a gaming laptop isnt right for you and the mini itx is probably better for you in the long run.
And saying 99% of games is pushing it a little, its probably more around 90%. But still, Im not playing Witcher 3 at work (which honestly even with hairworks on, runs at 40-50fps on ultra @1080p), Im playing Doom which easily pushes 90-100fps on ultra or battlefield 1 which stays over 70fps on ultra
There are tons of videos online of what the i5 7300hq and 1060 max q can do @1080p, and for a $800 machine this this is a beast

Yeah, same idea here, with my Precision M6800.
My only gripe is that it came with the red frame instead of the gray, but it was an open box return, and so I got it for half price.
But even with the red, it still looks professional.

That laptop's good for mobility and gaming on the go, true. But I was looking at 17'' laptops to begin with. I want raw power, and I've never owned a system with really high specs in the past... But honestly I'm lazy to research and pick up the case that I'm gonna use since I want very specific things that are hard to find (small case with slots for 240mm water cooling...).
I wish I could just get a laptop and be done with it, but I'd sacrifice too much performance and upgradeability.

On my downtime at work I think I should read, watch videos, maybe try to learn webdeveloping... Idk. I mostly work at night now in a hotel, lel.

Because that's what marketing teams think kids want. They want them to look intimidating so it will make up for any lack of performance. Kind of like that network card they had marketed toward gamers (which I think was only 10/100)

Surface book 2 is comfy af

Attached: IMG_20180219_125441-01.jpg (3313x2304, 1.55M)

Or financially responsible adults who want better performance than a workstation for the same price.

Gaming laptops excel at games, not being workstations, there's a world of difference between the two.

What makes a gaming machine?
Four things, basically:
1) A fast primary disk.
2) A decent CPU
3) A high end DirectX optimized GPU
4) 8 to 16GB of RAM

A mobile workstation has a slight overlap in requirements, but one will quickly run into problems if trying to do serious photo, video, or audio editing on a gaming machine.

Go to ebay, punch in "M6800 K5100M", there you will find a 17" industrial grade monster.

>Go to ebay, punch in "M6800 K5100M", there you will find a 17" industrial grade monster.

He wants to do "gaming on the go", not a workstation GPU or DDR3 memes.

>DDR3 memes
But everything newer than Core 2s have had DDR3 or better

>people in my lecture with light up alienware fagtops
embarrassing

Attached: b54227c848bef6a052cdc7b18e2633fb-480-80.jpg (480x270, 14K)

He needs better.

>goo goo gah gah! gimme gimme gaymin laptop mommy!! waaaaa!!!

seriously, fuck off. gaming laptops and custom built desktops are way better built then the shit they sell at Wal-Mart for the same price.

my "gayming" laptop was more bang for buck then the HP shit they sell at Wal-Mart. it's only advantage was it had 16 gb instead of 8 gb of RAM. damn thing had shitty onboard graphics and cost the same as my 800 dollar gayming laptop. mine has a 4gb gtx 1050 in it!

I guess I can be an old fuck like you and browse Facebook all day with a shitty Wal-Mart hp laptop.

Windows is a great OS with the greatest software support of any platform. Changing the volume using the terminal doesn't make you superior, nerd.

>lincux
Enjoy your command console turbonerd. I'll be here enjoying Win10 LTSB.

Gaming laptops are shit, get a vivobook or even a thinkpad, more bang for your buck, and you wont be a manlet.

>he says, using his 10 year old virgin machine

The MSI GS65 looks pretty clean if you don't make the keyboard backlight rainbow coloured

try some Asus ROG models. Elegant as fuck with brushed aluminium and slim design.

>Elegant as fuck with brushed aluminium and slim design.
wow

Only visual difference with office version was color .

Attached: 31911.jpg (800x640, 49K)

>gaming laptops and custom built desktops are way better built then the shit they sell at Wal-Mart for the same price.
Why do people who get upset about this always make such absurd comparisons?
>I guess I can be an old fuck like you and browse Facebook all day with a shitty Wal-Mart hp laptop.
What is wrong with you? You've crafted this ridiculous narrative in your head and you're venting hard it seems. Why do you think the competition for you Gamerâ„¢ computer is a HP laptop carried by a certain shop? Who is browsing facebook? Did your dad buy the HP laptop and does he browse facebook all day? You really need to calm down, because you are far madder than someone should be online.

Why do you hate terminal emulators? Every OS uses them, even Wangblows.

That looks elegant to you?

the fucking logo and rounded corners makes it look like ass

Thinkpadfags, please

I don't own a memepad, those are just as cringe

Get a fucking vivobook you cunt

Next time I will get something new it will be either XPS13, Cardbon or Surface

>those are just as cringe
Explain, without saying they're a meme on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1520059216998.jpg (880x850, 70K)

>Republic of Gaymers

id rathebe stuck with a thinkpad for gaymen than living with that fugly logo and homosexual brand name

standard badge mid end asus is where its at

Attached: Asus-FX503.jpg (1920x1080, 702K)

Ancient machines that make you look either poor or weird in public, mostly poor.
Also the pajeets have gotten in on the meme, and I encountered dozens of them sitting in dunkin donuts in NYC on their t420s looking smug while they post on reddit with windows 10 and edge.
It's like the bizzaro version of a white hipster chick with her macbook.

>Ancient machines that make you look either poor or weird in public, mostly poor.
I don't think anyone would really notice, they're pretty discreet looking.
>It's like the bizzaro version of a white hipster chick with her macbook.
Why are non-whites so obsessed with whites?

Oh they do.
See, just because your autistic ass doesn't think you look weird in public with your cargo pants, messenger bag and memepad, doesn't mean other people don't notice.

>Oh they do.
How so?
>See, just because your autistic ass doesn't think you look weird in public with your cargo pants, messenger bag and memepad, doesn't mean other people don't notice.
I really want to know why it is that people keep doing this. When you get upset you seem to start giving out about something totally unrelated and it doesn't make any sense. What do cargo trousers have to do with this? Did someone offend you by wearing them? First you were offended about whites having Apple shit, and now you're upset about trousers. But this has nothing to do with why Thinkpads are bad laptops, which you haven't addressed at all beyond the superficial.

Dat price doe. Even dell or acer are cheaper.

because a hipster looking white chick with a cuckbook is just as bad as a dirty pajeet with a memepad.
Also it sounds like I triggered you, what, do you wear cargo pants? kek
And I already said why they're bad machines, slow, power hungry, loud as fuck, heavy, ugly, absolutely garbage panels, and the keyboard is no where near as good as you faggots claim it is.

>because a hipster looking white chick with a cuckbook is just as bad as a dirty pajeet with a memepad.
Why are non-whites so obsessed with whites? All you ever do is whinge about us.
>Also it sounds like I triggered you, what, do you wear cargo pants? kek
I just want to know why you're suddenly whinging about trousers and white people when I asked you why Thinkpads are bad. You seem like you're upset about something beyond what I asked, so you started attacking that idea. I don't even know what you might be referring to as cargo ''pants'', since Americans probably call a lot of things that.
>slow
Explain.
>power hungry
In what way?
>loud as fuck
What in particular?
>heavy
What? Not even a T400 is particularly heavy.
>ugly
I said beyond the superficial.
>absolutely garbage panels
Beyond the American idiosyncrasies I can agree, the stock display on many models is bad, and ages poorly.
>and the keyboard is no where near as good as you faggots claim it is
They are very good relative to chiclet keys,and I would say they are on par with a good desktop keyboard.

Are you mentally ill my man?
Go look up the specs and see what I mean.
Also it's spelled "whine", clearly you're the non-white here

>Go look up the specs and see what I mean.
So you can't explain what you mean? I expected as much.
>Also it's spelled "whine", clearly you're the non-white here
Says the goblin.

I already stated my point, if you want evidence, go look up your favorite memepad and validate what I'm saying.
It's not my fault you're some 3rd world shit that can old afford decades old used laptops

>I already stated my point
You made vague allusions to a point and then continued to whinge about white people and trousers. You have no point.
>It's not my fault you're some 3rd world shit that can old afford decades old used laptops
Name a good new laptop that doesn't make you look poor.

this. everyone else uses a thinkpad.

idk about you but the rgb stuff is comfy. the pulsating glow has a calming effect.

no one uses a thinkpad except neets on Jow Forums.

>dunkin donuts in NYC on their t420s looking smug
omfg this timeline is the best timeline

What's the alternative?

Latitude, Precision, EliteBook.

Specific models? EliteBooks are garbage, though. And any of the new Latitudes and Precisions have awful thermals. All three have terrible keyboards and soldered components.

For me it's too maximalist. I have my desktop in a boring ass Chenbro 4u server chassis, coming from a sci-fi plastique battle armor case..
best aesthetic decision ever.

Actually second best.

best being googly eyes

>stop liking what I don't like
Just don't buy it, retard.

None of them have soldered components actually.
Latitudes even have separate NIC PCBs still.

Why not just an xps 13 with a graphics dock?
You wont look like an autist outdoors when you're not playing games and you can connect it to the dock when you're back home and ready to play the newest AAA trash

Ultrabooks and ultrabook imitators (modern thinkpad) are the worst value. They throttle more, have a higher premium for components you get, and have higher failure rates (probably related to heat build up).

Slim laptops were a mistake

> Yes there are
Problem fixed you retard

I have one because I play vidya at my friends' places and I was tired of lugging my desktop, mouse, keyboard, and monitor over there.
It's pretty nice, actually. I just had a carrying bag and monitor, and I was all set

Attached: 81MP6n4rYDL._SX355_.jpg (355x234, 9K)

>when I return home...
when you return home what? come back to desktop aesthetic equivalent of gaymen lapotp?

>because I play vidya
How does that contradict that post?

I was just gonna post my gl702. It looks ok, got a great deal for it. Did a lan party once, I like the idea of my life being relatively portable.

Because I have a job and don't want to waste 30 mins getting a desktop ready while a laptop can be ready instantly.

I'm liking it so far. I got one with a 1070 for $1200, making it cheaper than the desktop variants you can build at the time when mining was at an all time high

Attached: you-filthy-casual-meme.jpg (500x529, 81K)

There's nothing worth playing at a lan party that doesn't run on integrated graphics
you memed yourself good job