ITT: can't into UI design

Post your favorite (or least favorite) UI cock-ups, inconsistencies, or general fuckeries.
Starting off subtly with pic related: Chrome's bookmarks bar. Alright, the icon points to the right, so you'd assume pressing it scrolls the bookmarks to the right? Of course not, it opens a drop-down menu!

Attached: developersdevelopersdevelopers.jpg (239x242, 31K)

Attached: windows 10 menu styles.jpg (800x637, 97K)

There needs to be an updated version, since the newest update fucks it up again
Also, now everything has a different inconsistent transparency effect

Everything about Windows 10.

Attached: 1501515288072.png (1366x768, 368K)

it just needs to ship

fuken hell

Posting more Windows 10 aids

Attached: 1500839464525.jpg (2302x1016, 283K)

Microsoft doesn't give a shit anymore.

Attached: 1492270109837.jpg (523x702, 41K)

Attached: 1503689887370.webm (232x192, 124K)

Attached: 1496917310745.png (2288x924, 106K)

It's like they employed one pajeet per hover effect

I need to switch from w10, how could I work on that

kek
Btw pic related stands for pretty much all versions of Windows since XP.
To another version of Windows or Linux?

Attached: 1492170489227.png (2560x1440, 512K)

Linux

But most of those are on the mobility center, which is just a legacy app, since it's been replaced by the tile bullshit in the notification panel.

There are more legitimate places to shit on W10 design than that.

Another thing about this
It isn't flush with the end of the window. so you have to micro move to click it

What awful web browser are you using?

If you don't wanna get your hands dirty as much you can always choose distros like Debian or Kubuntu which are pretty user friendly. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu as it's a bloated piece of shit. If you're willing to get your hands dirty you can always choose Arch or some other Arch based distros. YMMV on Manjaro though, some say it's good while others say it's a broken mess.
Myself I use Arch with KDE and it runs well. Never encountered issues nor did it ever break on me.

Attached: 1496251485724.png (382x203, 31K)

>we need to compete with Mac's popular artistic design
>hold my beer

Attached: 1488146696140.gif (1024x768, 372K)

It's Chrome from what I can tell, I didn't make the webm myself.

Attached: 1517901805770.png (1000x607, 555K)

Thanks m8, will think about Arch

>That image
Always makes me think of pic related.

I've never had that issue with Chrome, ever.

Attached: Capture.jpg (260x172, 21K)

I recommend using a graphical installer or some Arch based distro like Antergos which uses a graphical installer. If you want an almost pure Arch install with a graphical installer use Anarchy Linux. The graphical installers usually do a lot of the dirty work for you, which is why I recommend them.

I know that on my sister's laptop Chrome always starts up as a black empty window and stays like that for at least 5 seconds until it goes to normal. I have no idea why though.

Attached: 1492256017671.webm (614x482, 600K)

On my PC Chrome is just a white window for like a minute before it shows up. I've found that making it smaller causes it to show up faster.

Attached: 1517894509925.jpg (800x600, 225K)

>unironically using Chrome

Weird, I've seen it happen only on Windows 10. None of the other Windows versions do it and Linux sure as hell doesn't do that, so idk why it's just Windows 10.

Attached: 1501128804038.webm (482x160, 119K)

Nice, Antergos looks clean. Thanks for help

I'm using Inox, is that okay?
No problem, I hope you have no issues with Linux.

Attached: 1493700581915.gif (1200x800, 666K)

not that user but can confirm Antergos is great. Dual booting it on my laptop atm

How does Antergos compare to something like Anarchy Linux? What are the differences?

They're both Arch derivatives. The biggest difference is what the developers choose to include with the distro. I don't know much about Anarchy, but Antergos has a great visual installer and makes getting started very easy and customizable. Anarchy may be great too, but it's closer to pure arch so it's probably more limited in features.

Anarchy has a lot of options for pre-installing packages and it installs a lot of libraries and dependencies for you. The graphical installer is ironically done in a terminal emulator though. It still is a graphical installer but it's not the "standard" installer like pic related.

Attached: 1500467051120.jpg (1024x686, 118K)

then the choice is probably 98% preference like most linux flavors

Did anyone else get pissed of about the new Firefox update that enabled auto hide on the downloads button?

on latest ff, download button always there

holy shud Batman! I hadn't used windows ten since I took a CPT 101 "this is how to word process and use access databases" class... I never realized how terrible that is

Install alt drag you fucking idiot

so retarded it hurts

Linux Mint's default text editor fucking up one of the most basic features of a text editor really inspires me with confidence that Mint is the distro of the future.

Attached: Untitled.webm (700x578, 2.37M)

Based late 90s early 2000s designs
We need to go back

Towards the end it just gets ridiculous lol

KDE

GOD DAMN INDIANS, they fuck up everything

your webm shows that there's a click on the "Word wrap"

>IIT GNU loosers doesn't understand that windows has lots of easter eggs of older versions
Autists!

Attached: 1515027125107.png (657x527, 225K)

If you look deep enough there are some 98 icons

Attached: linux mint wordwrap fail 2.webm (700x578, 2.15M)

Am I retarded? What exactly is the issue here?

I personally think W10 looks nice compared to earlier windows.

It's an inconsistant mess and Microsoft should fucking fix it.

Because they're making it slower to get people to use edge. Same as they did opengl for a decade+

I'm going to try that when I'm home. If it doesn't work I'm switching to xubuntu

This is essentially WhatTheFuckEver: the Button. Having so much unrelated functionality piled together under a single button results in an icon that doesn't look like or mean anything. It manages to be worse than burger menu because it looks like it is trying to mean something, and burger menus are result of designers just giving up on life.

Attached: Capture.png (75x55, 3K)

>Alright, the icon points to the right, so you'd assume pressing it scrolls the bookmarks to the right? Of course not, it opens a drop-down menu!
Nigga how picrel are you?
That icon's meant "too much shit in the toolbar, show me a dropdown of the rest" for at least 20 years.

Attached: wac.jpg (120x90, 3K)

I want to kill whomever started that gay fucking trend of just using icons without any text tags you can read by hovering over. How the fuck should I know what your gay arrow or shit is supposed to do? Use words nigga, words.

Text labels as button was just as bad. How am I suppose to know I can click that shit?

Designers are now allergic to text because that requires translating.

keyword "hover", genius

Still requires translating. Have fun with your international release.

Attached: 1.webm (1244x808, 910K)

The entire default KDE Desktop and KDE software in general

This actual worthless shit, and I get angry very quickly when looking at it

Why not make it an arrow down?

Pretty much anything that isn't Apple. Everyone else allows for clusterfucks UI.

and break multi-decade UI conventions, risking to confuse more users?

Post the one with apple and the cool voice over

Literally just all linux distro

It probably only wraps on word boundry so you don't end up with a word that cut in ha
lf

So, I'm saving this image file in Firefox on Ubuntu, and when the save dialog pops up the filename is highlighted. You'd assume that would mean that if you started to type you'd rename the file, but no — it searches the folder instead! Wtf?!

Attached: ff.png (709x521, 38K)

I fucking hate that shit, like if you type a letter it highlights the first relevant occurrence starting with this letter but if you hit the letter twice it goes full retard I. e. hit f and it highlights your France folder but hit f a second time and instead of highliting your "fucking fagots" text file it will look for "ff".

if only there was a way to move a word from one language to another

We gotta have some sort of technical dictionary in OS at this point and let software point there instead of hiring poojets to copy and paste texts.

>word wrap
>word
Try giving it whitespace (in your case - space) here and there.

Too many damn arrows.

Attached: FF59.png (91x95, 1K)

kys

I'm pretty sure all Linux file managers do this. It's fucking annoying.

Windows also does this

>using titlebars
>using bookmarks toolbar

'merica

>not using bookmarks toolbar
Other than allowing this shitpost, what advantage does not using it give you?

Those are all in W10.

Viewing all windows shit UI in this thread, I'm suddenly reminded of the top gear episode where James interviews some lady who along 2 other people did all road sign designs for Britain. Just goes to show you can't just keep doing shitty by massive committee, sometimes just best to shove to have a few competent people sit down and decide how everything is going to look

More screen space to use for actually reading web pages

It's on the same level as address bar and other shit. How the fuck does it take away screen space?

looking at your pic, you reminded me. I fucking HATE gtk/gnome shit in general

Attached: 2018-04-06-234319_330x94_scrot.png (330x94, 6K)

Like litterally everything in windows server Group Policy Object editor.

critics btfo
mint best distro

I miss the days when developers had balls and did things they thought was best and not what the customer thinks is best. In the tech world the customer is wrong most of the time