Reminder

80 columns of text is all you really need.

Attached: 7f0302d1eb3b070a1af4c4d0a28dcac9.jpg (500x365, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The real number is 72, because your emails should line wrap properly even for the few mutt users still wandering the dark depths of the unix underbelly of the world. It also helps that you can have two windows side by side with a nice comfortable text size side by side at 1920x1080.

Unless your font is gigantic you should be able to fit three windows side-by-side with 80 columns each

I do like gigantic text. It helps my old man eyes.

Computer resolutions should be worked out by the amount of 80x25 sets of 10pt bitmap monospaced fonts can appear.

For example, a 1x1 is 80x25, 1X2 is 80x50, etc.

You make not like to hear this, but it is true.

did god tell you what the ordained resolution was?

The god ordained resolution is 640x480, 16 colors.

>80
>not 72

Where are you guys getting this 72 meme from?

Attached: Untitled.png (722x440, 10K)

If it's good enough for Linus, why isn't it good enough for you?

Attached: 1505304240979.png (783x1133, 110K)

>have to stick to the 80char width limit or we lose marks for the assessment

Attached: unnamed.png (277x385, 101K)

Good. Only retard undergrads or python users (same thing, I know) have trouble keeping things to a reasonable level of indentation.

Just
set cc=81
hi ColorColumn ctermbg=red

It's really not that hard...

>python users
Wrong.
python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length

True, but most of the python programmers I've encountered aren't even aware that exists. It's usually something along the lines of "it's just a research prototype and doesn't have to be readable" or "it's just a quick script, feel free to reimplement it yourself". Basically, I feel sorry for any python programmers who actually care about style consistency, they're a vast minority

Is it worth updating to 4K yet? Have windows and Linux ironed out all the scaling bugs yet?

No, for some reason buying a monitor of a high resolution then making it look like a smaller resolution still makes it look like a smaller resolution.

For clarification, your terminal should display 80 columns and any text you write should have 72 columns at most.

If you set your terminal to a 72 column display you won’t be able to read 72 column text with mutt, git log, diff, nano, or anything that adds things around your text. That’s the point.

>word-wrapping is a property of the text
hard-wrapped text is almost universally just a bad idea unless you can guarantee the circumstances in which it's displayed

What circumstance will someone on a computer be unable to read 80/72 columns of text?

A 640x480 monitor with vertical splitscreen multiplayer programming

I want at least 90-100.

in case they live in 1988

Most 8bits had less didn't they?

>Linus
Has no relevance.

>not glorious 132 column, which predates even the machine in OP's post

80-column modes were common from at least 1985. Really bad composite modes wouldn't do well with it, but practically even with a TV modulator most of us would be just fine, any RGB monitor would be pretty crisp, and someone with a mono monitor would have gloriously sharp text.