>Last consumer laptop to have such ratio so most modern specs
>Great I/O
>Great hardware for Linux
>Magnesium, invulnerable build
>Great keyboard and keytravel
>Thin bezel, no webcam, thinklight
>No touchpad, great wrest for typing
>12.1"
I spent so long looking for a laptop just like this, and the x60 is perfect and I finally had the budget to order it. It's coming by the 10th and I'm using it for programming, messaging, and browsing this board. Planning on a Debian w/ Xfce install on it. Just wanna post this to celebrate and looking for advice on what I should do first when it comes and if I made a good choice.

Attached: 01-LaptopSolo.jpg (800x600, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Acer-Celeron-Storage-Windows-A114-31-C4HH/dp/B0746NCNSG/
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-kit.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Magnesium, invulnerable build
Except for all those plastic elements that snap or crack.

Still very rugged, and even party metallic is amazing and I like it for texture. If anything cracks or there are scratches I can just use Plastidip.

But you don't even own it yet.

Where'd you get an x60? Been dying to find on e but all I find on eBay is shit. I did get lucky and bought 2 x220s which I use for pentesting

how is the battery life?

I've had x60s. It was literally piece of shit.
>Core Duo 1.6GHz 3GB RAM
>shits itself in every use case
Buy some normal, modern laptop, not this shitty meme

>Last consumer laptop to have such ratio so most modern specs

except for the X61 and T61.

Attached: treeBum.gif (480x480, 2.89M)

I have a core duo laptop from '06 that I still use daily for programming and day to day
>openBSD
>i3, lynx, evince, mpv for anime/movies, qbittorrent, vim, cmus, git and SSH for some I/O with my server
What else could you possibly need?

Why do you think 12 inch is a good point? It feels like people nowadays prefer bigger screen size.

Libreboot it.

>core 2 duo shit from 80's
No, thanks.

Attached: 43535.jpg (210x230, 7K)

I like smaller laptops, and it's a 4:3 anyway.

did you get the IBM one? Mine came with the dock and everything

creating shitty little windows xp programs is really satisfying on this tiny shit

It's not from the 80's don't even say that as a joke, it's a programming machine and the processor is dual core and is as fast if not faster than many modern laptops. It's good for compiling.

I did get it off of Ebay, last one to not be broken in some way that ships to my country.
>65428124
It's a great machine for my usecase and no modern laptop has the IO, Ratio, and Keyboard.
>65428170
Those are much harder to find, they were very limited and are much more expensive. Not even what I want.
>65428828
Nice
>65428955
Thanks, that seems like a good idea!
>65428994
I got one w/ the IBM branding and all, it's a Lenovo IBM since they were made during that time so some have IBM logo and some only have Lenovo and I was psyched getting one w/ IBM branding.

I made a goof typing the post numbers damn sorry

>core 2 solo shit from the 30's

libreboot it to attain true gnu/zen. no hardware flash required.

>garbage panel where you can literally see individual pixels and colors are so shit it might as well be monochrome
>stuck on 32bit OS
>garbage I/O unless you still fucking use parallel ports, only USB 2.0
>will break in half after any falls, especially the shitty hinges on this model
>shit keyboard, this is literally a meme
I'm sick and tired of you shitty memepad hipsters shilling your absolute garbage on here

wtff is that gif

Attached: lhtb0byg26l01.jpg (800x679, 100K)

What's the oldest thickbads that accepts 8 or 16gb ram?

I-is that an Intel Core Duo? CPU that debuted in 2006? Literally 12 years ago? Wow, such an amazing purchase. It even has a TFT panel that smudges even if you use your mouse pointer! With a 1024x768 resolution. Truly amazing, user. Thank you for sharing your garbage bin contents. It's been noted.

How much did you pay for it? I'm going to die from laughter if you say a number that is above 50$

>Faster than many modern laptops
Even the 200$ and lower new laptop market has cpus that are way faster than that thing. You are delusional.

$200 laptop - let’s say HP Stream 11-Y010NR. It has a Celeron N3060.

It benches the same as a C2D T5500. It’s still better than the x60s but “way faster”? Lmao. That’s not saying much my guy.

Try using a T5500 on an encrypted disk. No hardware AES acceleration. Real life isn't about benchmarks, user.

You forgot the CCFL tubes

Again with this absolutely retarded argument
The newer CPU has much more modern instructions for video codecs, encryption, iGPU hardware acceleration etc.

At least is better than amd low cost shitty processors.

Again, it's much slower than even the shittiest celeron in a chromebook.
You fell for the meme

Just wait until you open the box, and the thinkpadsmell(tm) hits you.

No i have used the two and the core 2 duo is faster maybe you're confusing the core 2 duo with a core duo wich is only 32bit, also depens on the the model number of each processor.

Op try atom processor. It is modern and fast.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L7400 is the FASTEST CPU you can get on an X60s, a fucking 65nm monstrosity that's been gimped for "battery life"
A fucking 4w atom is over twice as fast.

Attached: thinkniggers.png (1381x2182, 328K)

And here, in case you bought the fastest available T60. Still slower than a fucking chink tablet

Attached: thinkniggersT60.png (1381x2182, 330K)

Ignore these assholes - my x61t and x61 are my small portable laptops, and I've put them both through hell and they are fine. I prefer them for the trackpoint only style and being small enough to put into a bag for onsites.
32GB ssd in both, and win10 and Debian on then and they run fucking fine despite what dicklicks will tell you.
"BUT MUH PERFORMANCE MUH BENCHYMARKS MUH NEWER SHIT THAT WON'T GET USED"
It's a laptop, if you want performance get a fucking desktop

I’m sure all that mattered when I was fucking your mom up the ass last night, fag.

The problem with X60's is that they're limited to 3 GB of RAM thanks to the chipset, even on 64 bit models
And the 64 bit C2D models are pretty uncommon, this matters now that plenty of distros are dropping 32 bit support and even patches like the meltdown mitigations take way longer to land on 32 bit kernels
You're better off with a X61 if you can live without easy libreboot
The panel is better than the one in T420's and of acceptable resolution for the size
T61 and the other *1 models
Fast enough for anything that you would do on such small thing and the panel still stands to any of the garbage bin panels on budget laptops
It's fast enough for AES, and if you have a SSD just using the drive self encryption is way better in almost any case
>passmark
And even then is still faster in single thread tasks than the Atom, and the ULV one is almost equal

>The panel is better than the one in T420's and of acceptable resolution for the size
>CCFL 1024x786
>better than anything
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
The absolute state of thinkretards.
And it isn't faster than an atom, try loading a 1080p video and watch it fucking CHUG. Even higher quality 720p videos will drop frames
I own a latitude from that era and it can't even watch a youtube video without being choppy.

>The absolute state of thinkretards.
The amount of mental gymnastics that some idiots do to justify their shitty purchases

t. x220 owner

your shitbox isn't as bad but it's still trash compared to a new quad core xps 13.

My T-60 will take a 64 bit CPU, still limited to 3gb of RAM though.
Works fine for Internet stuff, just won't do 1080p videos for some reason.

I only keep it around for the comfy 7 row keyboard which is still superior to the low travel keyboards in XPS laptops.

>1080p videos for some reason
Gee I fucking wonder
I bet you can't even open a PDF file either.
Absolutely useless machines
They're all shitty scissor switch you dumb faggot. If you want to do "serious" typing you get an TKL mechanical keyboard like everyone else.

So you have NEVER used one, right? Or anything from the early C2D era at the very last? Are you old enough to post here?
It can decode 1080p Hi10p perfectly fine at 70+ fps on my T2400 X60, the bottleneck is the absolute shit tier 1995 tech iGP, the 945G series where an abomination specially when underclocked like it was on laptops
720p worked perfectly fine with Display Sync and ICC color management for me with my Hi10p chink cartoons, literally not a single dropped frame, the only problem I had was using Sofalizer with 5.1 channel audio while watching Hi10p 720 videos on mpv, but downsampling to two channels worked fine, of course I used a parametric equalizer with like 8 bands for all of my mpv videos
It can even decode 1080p VP9 at 40+ FPS, though it's useless when you're bottlenecked by the iGP, fast CPUs are a meme if you aren't retarded
It's the iGP, you can try using GMA Booster in Windows, my desktop 945G machines could barely do 1080p back when I still used it
Keep shitposting underage /v/edditor

Big PDF file*

>It can decode 1080p Hi10p perfectly fine at 70+ fps on my T2400 X60
Nigger you fucking what?
I literally own:
>T60
>T61
>T500
>X201
>T420
>T530
>8470px2
>E6440
Either you're clinically retarded and somehow can't notice, or you're lying out of your small dickhole.
It can't do 1080p. On any OS with any player.
I tried everything. Those older memepads are fucking useless for any kind of productivity.
Even if you can live with a shitty 32bit OS, it takes fucking 5 minutes to get libreoffice opened (yes, on an SSD) for the first time, and opening up any document that's either longer than 3 pages or contains any kind of attachment brings these sad things to their knees.
Good luck trying to search in a PDF file too.
But thats ok, keep watching your shitty 720p cartoons with a smug little smile on your greasy face
>hehe my X60 is so much better than stacy's macbook

Decoding isn't rendering dumb retard, read the entire post or learn basic reading comprehension first
It's clear you're retarded if you fucked up your installs enough to be unable to open LibreOffice within a minute on literally anything

stock debian.
I don't believe you about the decoding or the rendering.
You faggots defend these things like a fucking religion and I really don't understand why

Benchmark your T60 using FFMpeg with the null renderer, any build made since 2015 (possibly older) has one of the fastest h264 decoders out there, that's how I got 70+ FPS on 1080p hi10p

>null renderer
Not real life.
But what's the fucking point? You can't do any actual video editing on these, or even play back your video.
1080p is fucking 2012 shit dude, these things are done. Maybe it's cute to watch some Seinfeld on the 4:3 screen or something, but other than that they're worthless.
Actually I have a dell 4:3 monitor that serves that purpose well, and I don't even need to take a drastic performance downgrade to use it.

3:2 is superior to 4:3 in every way. Should have gotten a Huawei or surface.

You will never be able to understand our relationship

Attached: sick.webm (480x640, 1.93M)

>[RSI AND CARPEL TUNNEL INTENSIFIES]

I mean we can pick all day:
amazon.com/Acer-Celeron-Storage-Windows-A114-31-C4HH/dp/B0746NCNSG/

Has a quad core N3450. Blows the t5500 out of the water using less power and has better instructions and support.

You fell for a shitty meme. The laptop you have is only for nostalgia purpose and not for actual usage in any real world setting.

the "null" part is just what it outputs to (in this case nothing because you're not trying to fucking transcode just benchmark decoding speed)
whatever fps you get is what you should get in playback and if you don't something's wrong

The glass trackpad on my elitebook is so much better than wearing down my finger joints on those shitty nubs.
Especially on KDE where you can tune it to be perfectly suited for your preferences

That's how you benchmark decoding you absolute retard, which you claim the T2400 or even the T5500 can't
why the fuck would you do video editing on a 12" laptop, are you seriously retarded or just grasping at straws?

Is the emmc storage replaceable somehow?
These are usually great machines (especially with a 1080p screen) but they absolutely fucking cripple these things with the storage space being that low.

not on that model unfortunately. I own that one and with arch or any linux derivative it works great. I use network storage + sd card expansion. The emmc storage is fast enough for linux. Plays 1080P HEVC 10bit just fine or anything below that. Battery life is actually legit 9H+.

>tfw when core duo
>tfw no 64 bit
why

people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-kit.shtml

Mine has an LED 1440x1050 AFFS panel.
Well, had. I upgraded the mobo so it's an X62 now.

I bought a t7200 for$5 and it has 64 bit

I bought a t2400, it doesnt even hit 2ghz
shit

Attached: 1498803029293.jpg (500x293, 25K)

i have a x60s

i love the size and 4:3 but i just cant use a 1024x768 screen in fucking 2018

X61 is better
> t. X61 owner

Attached: boner 4.jpg (236x700, 33K)

Where can I find one that isn't completely beat to shit?

In your unrealistic dreams and expectations

Attached: p3pfxgBI2B1uos522o1.gif (500x375, 2.27M)

>>Great keyboard and keytravel
from this I can tell this is bullshit, the x series pre-x200 had shit key travel, as the keyboard was cramped

Ahahaha, found one on gumtree (australian craigslist) for $40, from a guy that knew jack shit about computers, and I absolutely love it. Almost felt bad, then remembered that's what these computers are actually worth to normies.

What are you talking about. Sure they are a little mushier than the newer models. But they are still way better than the modern chicshit that's so popular these days.

The keys themselves may be great, but definitely not the key travel, which is smaller than normal because of the small length of the x60.

Just whipped out my x60 to test this. Yeah, your right, key travel is a bit smaller than on my x200, and x220t. But honestly wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. Still very comfortable to type on.

The position and size of the escape key however does bother me a little. The keyboard on the xx20 series layout was king. Perfect keyboard for me would be
xx00 series keyboard, and size
xx20 series layout