What are your honest opinions about gnome?

What are your honest opinions about gnome?

Attached: 1522468877558.jpg (2048x1536, 389K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/KeyboardShortcuts
docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-utils/krusader/key_bindings.html
lifewire.com/how-to-change-the-linux-mint-cinnamon-keyboard-shortcuts-4064754
help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/keyboard-shortcuts-set.html.en
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm just glad it's not unity

gnome2 was godly
gnome3 is a disaster

Boated garbage built on top of antiquited garbage. Every single GUI toolkit on Linux is a fucking disaster.

It's way ahead of its competition. However, by competition I mean a couple of node-based desktops.

It's the worst thing happened in the last 10 years in the Linux on desktop ecosystem. And ubuntu 18.04 using it by default is a tragedy.

/tpbp

>Tablet interface wannabe
>LMaOOOoO huge buttons
>Ugly and huge window bars without too panel integration
Honestly, the only two viable choices are Cinnamon and Unity nowadays. One is unstable, the other is discontinued, so pick your poison

KDE looks pretty good.

You look pretty good.

KDE is the reason I still have some hope on Linux on desktop.

On one hand, I think that Gnome looks great and I agree with most of the devs decisions. But goddammit, I hate the fact that they don't give us the option to choose. My hatred for these assholes are the only reason I don't use gnome.

If you install linux for pointlessly flashy windows manager graphics, you're barking up the wrong tree

It's really a good thing for the normies who try it out. It will run much better on old hardware than unity, so they won't think it's a shit and get rid of it immediately.

Why are you so against it? Have you actually tried it yet on buntu 17?

>making fun of huge buttons

...have you even seen unity?

t. desktop ricing brainlet

Too bloated for me, I even have faster boot on windo$e than on gnome,
Personally i like XFCE best

>It will run much better on old hardware than unity
You can't be serious. Gnome is slow and bloated.

Gnome 3 has less features than KDE 3

BITCH DONT PUT UR FILTHY FEET UP ON MY

O I L D R U M S

I have, and Unity Tweak Tools is a quick workaround to a default size that's not that huge anyway.
Now, have you seen the gnome dashboard?

Gnome2 was pretty good.
Gnome3 wasn't on release and it's continually had features removed rather than added since then, so it hasn't got any better.
Unity was like a Gnome3 that wasn't completely awful.
I'm on KDE now but it's unstable.

I'll likely move back to LXDE or maybe to LXQt.

This.

It's either KDE/Plasma, Budgie (waiting for the QT rework) or MATE, if you want a lightweight DE without all the modern looks.

GNOME is a no go for me.

You're forgetting LXDE/LXQt.

Yeah, if you need something even more lightweight than MATE that looks even worse.

I never used it myself, but I saw some people here commenting that LXQt is still quite crude/buggy. I can't confirm nor deny.

I like the workflow but can't get over the memory leak and the jerky animations. If they fixed that i could happily use it forever

It has more features than Gnome3...
Also Nothing buggy about it, atleast, [spoiler]it works on my machine[/spoiler]

I want to kiss her feet.

gnome 3 is great because it integrates with polkit and systemd and uses wayland
i also love systemd because writing unit files is awesome

I unironically look forward to gnome os

>gnome os
I think you have the wrong idea about what's happening.
GNOME dies eventually, systemd will replace it.

She looks like Elliot Rodger

delet

i prefer XFCE

it's fine if you have a 30'' monitor
on low resolution screens, or even high res screens under 15'' it's all but unusable.
usability aside, it has tons of high quality themes, but unfortunately the underlying gnomey rounded corners and thicc panels and floating popup menues don't ever go away entirely.
cinnamon has a more sensible default, but the same gnomieness shits the bed in terms of aesthetics.

kde 5.12 has wonderful aesthetics but still has memory leaks, buggy crash prone applications, graphic glitches, and high court usage out the ass.
lxde is ded, lxqt is a wip, and even openbox itself has gotten slow and bloated over the years
mate (like kde) has unbearable 10 second lag opening up any program, and the vala appmenu and hud strives crash all the time.
mate panel is a bitch to configure compared to xfce, and I loathe the webkitgtk mate-welcome and other shit with a passion.

tde and xfce are god tier

I like it.
>fast
>good extension support
>good theme support
>programs that use Qt look ok

Not a lot to complain desu

Attached: soyboy gnome.png (1200x800, 39K)

KEY BINDINGS ARE NOT EASILY REBINDABLE WITH A GUI TOOL LIKE IN CINNAMON OR PLASMA AND ARE NOT SHARED BETWEEN APPLICATIONS

my single most giantic complain about gnome/gtk is this.

and no i won't write an extension for it, most gtk apps don't have rebindable keybinding in general and only recently got an overview dialog to VIEW them, not rebind them!

you can change some of them via dconf but that seems to be gone now!

Also: THEIR DEFAULTS ARE HORRID
wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/KeyboardShortcuts

just look at plamsa and how much more fucking sane they are:
docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-utils/krusader/key_bindings.html

or cinnamon: lifewire.com/how-to-change-the-linux-mint-cinnamon-keyboard-shortcuts-4064754

cinnamons default keybindings are such an improvement on windows that when you use real windows you just notice how shitty inconsistent that piece of shit is!

gnomes no-config shit is beyond me.

also their settings app are wore then googles android these day in general even with tweak tool.

extensions are no substitute and sane defaults are a must, so no thanks gnome i will never use you unless you change

i found

help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/keyboard-shortcuts-set.html.en

although they still suck and there are only a few of them

GNOME its unironically the only worthy Linux DE