>2018
>lots of shitty ARM boards
>not a decent ARM board with PCIe, SATA 3.0, USB 3.0 and server features
Why?

Attached: grill.jpg (640x640, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3106852/amd-turns-back-to-x86-for-server-reboot-as-it-downgrades-arm.html
linuxgizmos.com/january-2018-catalog-of-hacker-friendly-sbcs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ARM is for toys.

Servers are x86, also

>all current implementations of X are shit
>in fact there are no good implementations of X at all
I wonder what conclusion one could make from this.

>servers are x86
Get a load of this nub.

Only Raspberry Pi Foundation can make good boards, because they have decent QA and a large community. If they don't start making $50 - $100 boards, there won't be any decent ARM boards. And they aren't going to do that anytime soon.
You can try Odroid and BeagleBoard but they're shit. If you need more power than an Rpi 3, get a used mobo with an old i3/i5 off ebay. If you care about power consumption and want a new mobo, get Ryzen 2200G and any B350 mobo.

Seen any Sun Sparc servers lately? Yeah, me neither

They're pretty much all X86, Xeons mostly

ODROID has those on a few boards

The problem is that no one wants to admit that these boards are good for simple tasks, and no one wants to base a distro/OS/whatever around those simple tasks. There's no reason that a student can't use it as a tool for word processing, other than that there's no word processors these days that aren't bloated to fuck and unusable on hardware 10x as powerful as what things like Word Perfect ran on perfectly.

The issue is the software, not the hardware.

>not a decent ARM board with PCIe, SATA 3.0, USB 3.0 and server features
If you look hard enough you'll find them just don't expect them to be cheap.
Pic related

Attached: 20170108023905_src.jpg (1000x1000, 367K)

is that a boy?

Who knows? But maybe just use x86_64 if you need everything on one board.

There is still plenty you can do just fine with cheap ARM boards, even if it maybe does not cover your own use case.

Pine64 Pro?

Webservers maybe.
Real work is done on POWER.

Ah yes, pic related. Perfectly adequate torrent box / mini NAS - or if you want, a storage node in a distributed filesystem or the thing that records your surveillance video or something else.

Attached: odroid_hc2.jpg (667x375, 110K)

No, she's a girl.

dose "she" has a dick?

No, she's an authentic girl.

I'm not sure if I want a NAS based in a SATA-to-USB Bridge and no redundancy.

the dont ever post it here because its not technololgy

If you can into Linux, they'll do the vast majority of things you want done just fine.

> SATA-to-USB Bridge
Even if you do that, you don't have to fuck it up like a RPi maymay does.

Pic related runs samba at ~GBE speeds; there's not even really anything much more that you could want until you either install 10GBE or start lining up those 1GBE ports and drives.

> no redundancy
This can be the backup drive, or one drive in a distributed filesystem, or just conventionally sync'd with rsync / syncthing.

Apart from that, there's even a somewhat obvious use case at home for a non-redundant low power computer / drive combo that torrents or takes data 24/7 but then flushes to a more power-consuming array once a day or such.

Attached: odroid_hc2_2.jpg (900x882, 472K)

Rsync why? Just use Unison and get another drive on literally any device and you'll never have issues

MOAARRR PICS

Sure. I'd probably prefer syncthing, but you have essentially all options on these.

The vast majority of the related Linux software works on ARM and hardware-wise you got a good amount of processing power [without it constantly thermally throttling to death like a passively cooled RPi] and 2GB RAM.

Rpi doesn't thermally throttle. Running at Max they're still half the tdp of the chip

Wish she (Is that actually a she?) Didn't wear that bra. See through cloths are the bes

Uh-huh.

> Rpi doesn't thermally throttle.
The current RPi certainly do. I recall v2 did, too.

Looks like a good girl(male) but not good girl(female)

>"girls" with dicks are technology

Attached: 1521214555974.gif (300x168, 1.62M)

who is she?

this OP, i need to know

this.

Just bought an Asus N3050T for $50, I'm getting 100+ MB/s transfer rates over the network and it stays below 1A@12V even with two drives.

Bare Rpi2 and rpi3 do thermally throttle, especially if you load the GPU too. A small heatsink solves that, though.

>she

Embrace minimalism. I'm running an ARM laptop right now, I'm happy because I'm living the fanless, bloat-free, botnet-free life. I have no desire for a jet engine botnet gayming rig.

Because ARM is absolute dogshit at anything more intensive than angry birds. Ask AMD, they know this all too well. Overall terrible IPC and even worse performance/watt. By the time you made an ARM chip to compete with xeons from WW2 you have 1,000 cores and a TDP of 9001.

pcworld.com/article/3106852/amd-turns-back-to-x86-for-server-reboot-as-it-downgrades-arm.html

Attached: 1522030427005.png (842x792, 82K)

>POWER
Everybody except government and a few megacorps got real sick of IBMs pricing decades ago.

Attached: 1522868119954.png (750x731, 531K)

well they're the only ones that can even into technology, so it makes sense
crazier than the regular variety tho

>best response
>no replies
EVERY TIME

pathetic samefag, hardware is dogshit else we'd see servers dump x86 en masse.

>samefag

You right, there's loads of other options! I'm running pic related, they're so good! Still holds up today, totally! Apple engineers are proven gods!

Attached: Shitty_Overpriced_Server.jpg (259x194, 11K)

Why the fuck won't the Raspberry Pi fags make a board with USB 3.0 at least? It can't cost that much to implement and I'd pay like $10 more for it. There are already addon boards for SATA but they're connected over USB which is the main bottleneck, making them pointless for anything except mechanical disks. I'm tired of having only USB 2.0 or a fucking mSD slot for a boot disk.

Somebody explain this shit to me right now. Raspberry Pis are some of the most free hardware platforms out there outside of PowerPC Macs, Libreboot laptops, and the Talos II. And it's cheaper and more secure than used Macs or ThinkPads since it's only $40 not vulnerable to spectre/meltdown, and it's faster than most PPC MacBooks.

Why can't they make a deluxe edition for use as a mini desktop?

Attached: 1491979133944.png (852x1256, 55K)

>Apple engineers are proven gods!
All of their good engineers and designers left between 2008 and 2014. Now the company is run by faggots and they push out chinkphones and soldered together laptops that throttle down to 800MHz.

Attached: 1488638231320.png (1024x640, 69K)

ARM has pretty much always said, and to this day still does, that their CPUs are not for that. And they do not seem to have any intend to make a RISC that tries - and fails - to compete with x86, which is the only sane option in this scenario. And it would be ludicrous for them to develop a new CISC architecture to compete against x86. I might be wrong, but i judge that to be immeasurable unlikely, but they might have an engineer, that gets a godlike epiphany and does any of these things. But i really, really doubt that. But then again, they didn't even think themselves that RISC would be viable.

you ... you didn't get the sarcasm in that? With all the teenager styled exclamation marks? I actually added the last sentence, to make sure that nobody would misunderstand my sarcasm, even people without the ability to comprehend such things.

What if not all computers were for the same thing?

Redundancy is overrated in cheap home storage. High availability is not necessary, and a home NAS is almost never the only storage location for critical user data meaning even catastrophic disk failure isn't that big of a deal.

Uhh... X is bad?

>>not a decent ARM board with PCIe, SATA 3.0, USB 3.0 and server features
We're getting there

Attached: n8LGoSp.jpg (4160x3120, 822K)

Then you use audrino controllers for embedded stuff and celery/atoms for everything else.

That's literally worse than the opteron amd housefires lmao.

>That's literally worse than the opteron amd housefires lmao.
???????????????????????????????????

>PCIe on an SBC
Pretty sweet. Are there any others or should I just pick this one up?

>8 2GHz A57s vs some chink trash A53s

I'm not jumping on that right away, their original board SUCKED, it was badly designed, came without a distro, so if you managed to boot something, half the features didn't work. And worst of all, they underestimated the production price, so they couldn't pay for QC of the boards or anything, lots of people got non functioning boards, including me, and they didn't care to refund, or replace my board.

I need several, REALLY good reviews before i'm touching anything by them ever again.

Attached: PINEA64_LTS_board.jpg (600x600, 66K)

Super specialization takes time and dedication. Professionals don't want to deal with specialization or risk being pigeonholed. Hobbyists won't stick around past the initial excitement.

Word processing is its own little slice of hell with it usually devolving into the feature vs bloat holy war.

A SBC would be fine as a document processor though, using something small and light like groff.

Look at this:
He's completely true, there's a reason that the only deeply specialized and dedicated hardware available on the open computer market, is for crypto currencies.

It really is more efficient and easier, to take a known, available and common platform, and get the best out of it. Had the Nazi German High Command realized this, and stopped interfering in Germany's brilliant engineers, they'll probably either had one the war, or succeeded in beating most of the world and only stopped when the manpower most literally ran out.

So to make sure Godwins law is applied, stop being Hitler! Jokes aside, i hope you get my point.

please someone screen cap this so we can laugh our asses off years from now just like we do with phrases like Gates' "640k should be enough"

Its 2 a73 cores and 4 A53 :)

So it's literally worse than just 8 A53s lmao

Better for single threaded tasks

What makes you figure that? Literally double the IPC

Attached: 79519.png (650x400, 28K)

Check this out linuxgizmos.com/january-2018-catalog-of-hacker-friendly-sbcs/

enjoy that massive throttling

big.little is fucking dogshit because you'll engage both modules for a millisecond before it shuts down the efficient cores and throttles the shit out of the performance ones.

Im using rock64 boards that shipped early this year to interface with a couple different ettus boards in low swap deployments... RPI is a meme. Some orangepi and pine boards blow them away, and the qc on those is getting better every generation.