JavaScript-Free Interactive Content

I saw a thread on here a few days back that discussed the possibility of building a live, interactive forum without using any JavaScript whatsoever.
Assuming we completely throw out the idea of compatibility with any browsers that aren't bleeding-edge, how feasible would it be to do this using a shitload of heavily server-side-scripted iframes and CSS3 transitions/transformations to make everything look smooth and modern?
Should I just give up while I'm in the planning stage and use JavaScript libs like a soy?

Attached: iu.jpg (810x530, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

csszengarden.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_enhancement
asm32.info/fossil/repo/asmbb/index
board.asm32.info/
github.com/atomiks/30-seconds-of-css
css-tricks.com/
github.com/CSS-Tricks
medium.com/statuscode/the-14-most-popular-css-links-of-2016-so-far-96a6e64378d5
github.com/LeaVerou/play.csssecrets.io
github.com/oskargustafsson/nojs
keithclark.co.uk/
keithclark.co.uk/labs/css-fps/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Call it javachan

>the possibility of building a live, interactive forum without using any JavaScript whatsoever.
I'm pretty sure in the early 2000s it was pretty standard that forums, hell most websites, did not require javascript. I think Jow Forums for a few years didn't have any javascript.
Getting everything to look 'smooth and modern' is a mere aesthetic challenge which I am sure does not require cuckscript. I've seen static web pages that look more modern that most web sites.

If OP wants a javescript free site he'll have to look into web 1.0 designs

you can't refresh the page without javascript so the live part is pretty impossible

Let's say we have a CuckBook feed type of scenario. Every so often (let's say 10 seconds), there is a hidden iframe that gets refreshed and populated with the newest posts. This, in turn, to allow for smooth additions of new posts, generates another hidden iframe that will, after another ten seconds, generate new posts (with yet another hidden iframe). How performance-heavy is this? Is there a better way of achieving this without this nested iframes scenario? Of course, this will require a significant amount of server-side scripting, but that's not the challenge, really.

>i do not want to use the tool designed to solve the problem i have
wow

muh security

the only thing you need javascript for is the google captcha thing and the floating reply box.

if you don't know this basic shit I doubt you're in a position to build this.

Why would you want to? The point of not using JavaScript would be not require a web browser to be an "application platform", but rather just the document viewer that God intended it to be, so if you aren't going to allow it to be that, then there should be no reason for you to not use JavaScript.

csszengarden.com/

You won't implement smooth addition of new posts without JS. You can just refresh the whole thing, not add anything to anything.

And muh security is not an argument. If you're willing to disable JS in your browser, effectively breaking every site, smooth post addition on some forum is the last thing you're looking for.

>stop hating anything that isn't the status quo!

>Assuming we completely throw out the idea of compatibility with any browsers
FULLSTOP
That would be an interesting idea.
Even if CSS has the ability, using it for more than styling is still cancer, just like JS. That's the problem with the modern web stack, it's not just JS that's crap.
>Should I just give up while I'm in the planning stage and use JavaScript libs like a soy?
You might as well. Just use as little as possible and load it from the same server in the same request.

Your idea is being shat on for an entirely different reason than challenging the status quo.

if you were in the thread you would've seen that there's already an imageboard that works without javascript. I can't remember the name though.

also you can't auto-refresh without js.

>make everything look smooth and modern
this is cancer

Oh my god, these people ACTUALLY don't know how to auto-refresh an iframe. Fucking JS-cucked script-babbies.

>This, in turn, to allow for smooth additions of new posts, generates another hidden iframe that will, after another ten seconds, generate new posts (with yet another hidden iframe).
Horrible idea. You're effectively leaking iframes on the client side, so your website will be an ever worse memory hog than jQuery-ridden garbage.

>

I literally wrote that refreshing is all you'll be able to do. It's not enough.

>also you can't auto-refresh without js.
Wow, what the modern webdev actually believes?

>downloading the entire page again is better than running 2 lines of javascript with no dependencies because muh security

I will actually kill for a javascript free website but OP's plan of doing a bunch of stuff server side just to archive the same things javascript does sounds bonkers

I'm not a web developer
anyway, what's the point? I doubt it'll work with w3m/lynx

Sure, that seems reasonable. I think it requires the same number of packets to exchange JSON compared to retrieving a page of text.

You don't have to kill, you can write a website that does not use JS easily. It won't have any of interactive stuff, but if you don't want Js you probably don't want any of that either.

It literally is.

With JS you'd only be downloading new posts, not all of them including displayed already; and with JS you don't have to poll either, you can open HTTP connection and wait for the server to write to you when it has something. This is a horrendous idea.

Pray tell how you would check for updates and insert them into the DOM with literally two lines of JS with no dependencies, or I'm going to hold you full of shit.

Long requests with partial rendering would probably work, but your server would end up with a lot of active connections.

If that's your reply, then you didn't read . It's still a bad idea, however, because , but that's a different reason.

I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding. The new iframe will only download the absolute basic content whenever a new post is available to display, and remove the auto-refresh meta tag , and spawn a new blank iframe which effectively pings the server for new content every so often.

Couldn't we do this with php? Since you seem dead set on not using js...

I think this is a bad idea. Progressive enhancement is the answer. It is very easy to make JavaScript free content. It is also very easy to add features for those who do have JS. License it under a free license. Boom, everybody's happy.

If you truly want to code for browsers who don't have JS, you would want to make sure it looks fine without CSS3, too. If they don't have JS, they certainly don't have CSS3. Don't try to make it interactive. That's a fool's errand.

Oh. So iframe inside an iframe inside an iframe, adding one for for every update.
Yeah, that can be done, though polling is still bad. Plus, right, client-side might not be able to handle 999999 nested iframes well.

You don't have to poll with JS.

>you can open HTTP connection and wait for the server to write to you when it has something

var ws = new WebSocket("ws://imageboard.localdomain");
ws.onmessage = function (e) { document.body.appendChild(new DOMParser().parseFromString(e.data, "text/html")); };

what next

Then that said, you don't have to poll with iframes either. HTTP long polls look like a good solution, albeit with a few server-side challenges.

All of this considered, I've got another concern -- memory usage. Is it going to be fucking ridiculous? Far more so than JS? Less so? I recognize that interactive content is a memory hog in general, so don't even start bitching about that aspect. There are plenty of JS-free forums already, just none that are interactive and modern-looking.

Holy shit this thread is full of dumb fucking niggers. My boss once gave me a lecture once on how downloading small amounts of HTML is preferable to writing a json controller and merely shaving off bytes in order to refresh a form, for reasons pointed out here . Goddamn spoonfed babby toddler modern cuck botnet shilling web devs. Jesus.

good job using every buzzword in your arsenal

>some JS is bad therefore all JS is bad
You guys are fucking idiots. Just release the JS under a free license.

this thread is full of people who don't realize that what they actually want is a browser with a tiny subset of javascript available, instead thinking they're better off with hacks

There is a clientside timeout for non-js requests that you can't control so I don't think that's an option.

Damn my dudes, like just get laid lmao

>Yeah, that can be done, though polling is still bad.
You wouldn't have to poll; you could just have a long-running request on the server.
>us, right, client-side might not be able to handle 999999 nested iframes well.
Yes, that's what I said.

use webasm

>You wouldn't have to poll; you could just have a long-running request on the server.
You don't control the timeout clientside with iframe refresh the way you control it with js, not possible.

Clients don't usually have a timeout at all.

All browsers always have a timeout.

you could let the server manage the UI part, and simply return "200 OK" + the HTML page OR "304 Not Modified"

you wouldn't even need an iframe inside an iframe, you could just add the meta refresh to the page, though I have no idea what the browsers do if the server returns 304...

php you fuck. just learn php, and mysql or mariadb.

people really believe that doing the UI server-side would take much more processing power than any other webapp...

I doubt it'd take much effort, though there are things that, obviously, you can't do that without JS, but you can build a usable website without it, I've done that.
there is also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_enhancement
for those who want a dynamic UI

you can do this with almost any language, that's not even the point of this thread
Go is one of the most performant languages out there, so I'd suggest learning it, though

I'm made a content manager, with login, register, user comments without js
I'm not really good with css but it looks nice and is compatible on all browsers

And of course I have also wrote an Api so anyone can simply implement jscript
I'll release it this summer

lol

I've never noticed my browser timing out ever on an indefinitely running request.

>you wouldn't even need an iframe inside an iframe, you could just add the meta refresh to the page, though I have no idea what the browsers do if the server returns 304...
The point was of course to not have to re-transfer the entire page, but merely to add the new parts to it.

I looked into Go, but its like a server unto its own so you need to add another layer nginx above it if you want it to coexist with other things like php. I am considering moving the core of my website to go and leaving the less important pages to php, but it will require a more complicated server setup. PHP is a nice mix of speed with ease of development with ease of implementation on a server.

I guess keeping the whole page in-memory in the server application, and then re-transferring the page, would be the simplest way and even faster and better than adding parts

The internet should not be dynamic.

Marry me

This. The internet was made to exchange information and documents, not post your status 24/7

Its perfectly fine for server side scripts that create dynamic pages which are still essentially static pages as they appear to the client.

>referring to the world wide web as "the internet"

The problem is that no user interaction (comments, posts) is good unless it's face to face or direct such as email

>these people ACTUALLY don't know how to auto-refresh an iframe.

Indeed I don't.

I never, ever use iframes because I don't live in the 1990's.
So inform us: how do you refresh an iframe without using javascript?

Automatically reloading the page is bad because it could potentially interrupt the user.
But look at Twitter for example: when a new tweet comes in it just displays a new box "click here to view new tweets". That much is perfectly fine.

You shouldn't use iframes if your intention is to show up in search engine results.

If you want a live feed of something, then fine you're going to need some sort of client side script to accomplish it. Too bad most of this time its geared towards advertisements and intrusive useless garbage the user does not care about.

The internet also wasn't made for people sitting at home.
Only employees of big corporations, the military, and universities were meant to use the internet.

So the point of this no-JS project is to get views from Google? Something tells me that is false.

no but im just sayin

>iframe abuse

Please just use ajax and stop shitting up a website with ishits. There is a reason why ajax exists.

Cricinfo still did that last I checked.

Anti-JS fanatics are the worst kind of people. Using JS isn't going to make your website a slow pajeet piece of shit with 100+ dependencies and frameworks loaded each time. Nor does it ever have to involve horrible shit like Node.js.

so, why is this approach so unpopular nowadays?

JavaScript could be replaced by HTML5 + CSS3 on more than 99% of existing websites.

What's the point? The browser is still running JS in the background. See

you niggers need to use webasm if you really want something cutting edge. Take a look at asmBB. Uses no dependencies and the stylesheet is even bigger than the page
Here is the source code:
asm32.info/fossil/repo/asmbb/index

And here is an example of a forum written with it: board.asm32.info/

LOOK HOW FAST IT IS

>not a billion scripts being loaded from all over the internet

man, it's surreal.

>heavily server-side-scripted iframes and CSS3 transitions/transformations

Who is going to pay for it? This is what all these cucks on Jow Forums don't understand. These companies are using javascript on their websites because they don't want to spend more money than they have to on server resources. Do you really want to go back to slow loading websites and rate limiting? Remember those "The website is really busy right now!" messages in the early 2000's ?

You are retard.

Unless the point is a fun challenge or to get it to work in a text based browser, there is no point.

not that user, but
>website with no JS at all
>server application written in languages other than JS
where is the JS, you tard

Or to have a site that isn't web 2.0 garbage that will not work if not modified every month because somewhere, something changed. I had to make a responsive website using pure HTML and CSS when I was in college, JavaScript was literally forbidden.

You can refresh with a tag

>because something somwhere changed
What? Why would your own code break if you didn't change it?
>JavaScript was literally forbidden.
Good for you.

> make everything look smooth and modern?
Why, it would be cooler if it looked like an old web 1.0 site. Plus it would keep out normies. Just use a cgi script.

html5 for graphics but i don't know how you're going to make asynchronous requests to the server without having something pretty much like javascr*pt

I honestly don't see the point. But more power to you I guess.

remove java

Were you too lazy to type "javascript" or are you retarded? Anyway, it is incredibly easy to do what op wants, but there is no reason to do html5 shit without JS.

In the olden days Jow Forums did not have a auto refresh feature. You had to refresh the page manually. That's where F5 memes came from.

its actually weird going back and using the site in a vanilla browser window with no 4chanx, no threadwatcher, no catalog, and manually updating the page from time to time
its a different kind of experience

CSS "Modern" looks should be easy, basically just give everything transitions and a small transformation effect

Consider that a Chan style board doesn't exactly need to look modern, and really the only difference between modern design and "web 1.0" design is more whitespace and flat colors and being round

Attached: Woll_Smoth_original.jpg (300x400, 38K)

Wait, you mean a forum or a futaba board? Because the latter can be done with static HTML, you just APPEND each new post to its thread's file. It's how 2ch worked, at least early on.

Anyway, I'm curious about JS-free site design, but haven't started researching yet because I have too much on my plate.

is right, you don't know the power of CSS: cripplechan .net/css/

Try searching for "nojs" on Google, Twitter and everywhere else. Here are some resources:
github.com/atomiks/30-seconds-of-css
css-tricks.com/ (mind the outdated articles)
github.com/CSS-Tricks (ditto)
medium.com/statuscode/the-14-most-popular-css-links-of-2016-so-far-96a6e64378d5
github.com/LeaVerou/play.csssecrets.io
github.com/oskargustafsson/nojs
keithclark.co.uk/

I mean look at this shit from the last link, a fucking 3D engine built with nothing but HTML and CSS. Motherfucking miracles: keithclark.co.uk/labs/css-fps/

Attached: Miracles...recognize.gif (224x126, 945K)

niice

Pointless.

This does not use webasm, dumbass!

This uses x86 asm in backend you nigger.