Daily reminder that CLI is ancient

People who uses a command line instead of a GUI are hipsters and script-kiddies.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (496x310, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cyberking.strikingly.com/
github.com/nicolargo/glances
youtu.be/hShY6xZWVGE
9front.org
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can your GUI be automated yet?

>hipsters and script-kiddies.
hipsters use gui
script-kiddies use gui

yeah with one click

How do I set values the GUI doesn't allow with the GUI? How do I quickly configure options without navigating through a maze of submenus? etc.

CLI is superior but only if you know all the commands. I prefer using my the CLI for my proxy, YouTube downloader, etc., because I almost never need to look up anything. Ctrl+Alt+T, execute the program/command, and I'm done. It's way faster this way.

As a different example, I use ffmpeg in the terminal to convert media because it's so powerful compared to GUI converters. However, I always have to look up the relevant arguments again, and it's a pain in the ass, so maybe someday I'll code a simple GUI with all the relevant arguments.

I believe GUIs can be done well, but tend to be ruined by artists, merchants, and other "experts".

gui was the downfall of computers
touch screen is salt in the wound

>People who use a command line
... are stirring with a magic wand in the holy grail, achieve directly formidable results, learn a lot in the process and all these powerful tools are gratis

be careful what you ask for. you'll get some solution that involves moving and clicking your mouse programmatically.

>>CLI is faster than GUI if you know what you're doing in most cases
>CLI is ancient, you should use bloated GUIs that look a so fancy but allow for less options most of the time

Can't you just use CTRL + ALT + Function key to switch between both?

Attached: normie.png (956x203, 5K)

>I don't understand how or why to use it, therefore it's useless
What's it like being retarded?

Attached: 1339550542740.jpg (1000x670, 138K)

CLI is cursive for computers.

CLI is just faster. Not that I think you will agree.

Attached: screenshot-wide.png (848x500, 549K)

PS: That one is glances, has more IO statistics than htop and stuff.

Was about to ask, its nice.is it high resolution timers? I had atop back a while ago and it use to miss short lived processes

Well in a laggy OS like Ghahnoo/looonux of course launching and using a CLI programs will feel faster, its the same reason you fags use i3 instead any of the other laggy DEs available out there

At least CLI remains consistent, as opposed to Windows GUI.
Metro has been out since 2013 and they still haven't finished moving all the settings over...

3/10 made me reply

>GUI fags
okay user first click the power tool button, next slide the power level to 54%, next set your audio source to your mic by clicking on the recording buttons. okay great now simply confirm and hit play

>CLI fags
okay user run this: audioprogram -v 54 -a DEFAULT_AUDIO -o file.mp3

Both interfaces have their uses. A master knows which interface is the best tool for the job in question.

Only retards argue over which is superior.

heh fuck you man, white people don't mind it

mutt is unironically the best email client

GNU/Linux is faster than winshit on all fronts, nice try though faggot.

Demonstrably false: it's not faster to 2% market share.

Attached: 1516189909152.jpg (210x210, 27K)

Depends entirely on 1) how fast you type, and 2) how shitty your GUI is. The latter is why *nix users swear by CLIs.

And windows is the opposite- the windows CLI is dogshit so the GUI is what people develop

Windows wouldn't be as fast even if you're playing five games and compiling a kernel while mining crypto with GNU/Linux. It never has been as fast and it most likely never will be as fast. Windows is developed by Pajeets who have no idea what they are doing and the end result is a horrible hack.

making a good gui is a lot harder and more time consuming than vomiting some text on a screen

One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.
“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”
Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.
“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.
Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.
“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.
Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.
“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.
Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.
As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.
At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

I can’t stand the CLI. It’s convenient for small tasks but the fact that making a typo is so fucking annoying to correct is infuriating. I use GUIs as much as I can

tab completion is your friend as is ^foo^bar

Last I checked hipsters were poser fags who judged stuff by how they look to others instead of using each tool according to what it's mostly useful for. So OP seems to just be shooting his own foot here.
Bet he even posted that on a fucking Mac. Wouldn't be too surprised if even sittting on his butt-plug.

Just imagine how bad this retard failed at setting up a Linux install that it came out slower than fucking Windows.

show me bitch

Attached: 31dc8d89f93caf7eca83f2b2e8707a40.jpg (992x1403, 196K)

Daily reminder that OP is always a faggot.

..always!

>reading books is too hard I watch the movie

This is true and I am one of them

Hello. Are you in need of a Private Investigator or a Hacker, I recommend you try Patrick Grey He helped me with my problems. My wife had been cheating on me and I wanted proof, he gave me all i wanted. He hacked her Facebook, Gmail and her Phone conversations, his findings were shocking but they helped me realize the kind of person I was with. Contact him via [email protected] or his website cyberking.strikingly.com/

Attached: me3.jpg (1280x720, 59K)

>dependencies include python3-bottle (a webserver) and python3-websockets
why?

Hm. I'm not even sure applications would need explicit support...? Do they really? I thought it's something you enable in the kernel to affect its accounting.

Optional dependencies. It only needs python and psutil, but it supports more:
github.com/nicolargo/glances

fuck this gay ass topic
this is a cli environment thread
who tmux+vim here?
ive been using tmux and vim for just over 2 years and i gotta say i love it a lot
i currently use a lot of terminal tools for work but i do edit 90% of my text in a vim buffer but im thinking of switching to emacs
is there an equivalent to having a terminal buffer running screen or something?

Attached: comfyleaf.jpg (750x663, 97K)

> who tmux+vim here?
Sure.

> is there an equivalent to having a terminal buffer running screen or something?
Wat? Just stick with tmux.

I use vim and terminator for multiplexing. I know its not as pure but its pretty comfy

That's a GUI though.

inb4 what's the difference between a CLI and a TUI.

user, I know Windows market share is dropping like a rock, but it's not dropping THAT fast. It's still going to be a while before it reaches 2%.

>tmux+vim
>CLI

You can join those other guys.

Yes, that's the whole point of using a GUI

Attached: 5c0c553262452842b04068bd5abd99e1356c8d14b65535c884dd4e9cb8a83d7b.png (1366x768, 1.01M)

Attached: get_out.jpg (560x510, 106K)

I work mostly with CLI, but create desktop launchers for most of my scripts with the arguments I use most frequently.

>Script kiddies

Funny you should say that, since it is possible to script command lines. How's that work with your GUI?

And that's why GNU/Linux will never be mainstream on desktop side.

But CLI is also a GUI

The "mainstream" of [extremely computer-undereducated] personal computer users moved on to Android/Linux except where they couldn't due to specific software. If that was moved to Android too, they'd be just on Android.

Linux is still good for the people that can and/or need to sysadmin a computer to get what they want, just not for the "mainstream".

I fucking wish that were true, I don't want developers working on grandma-tier modifications, but microsoft is doing so poorly with windows I fear the normalfags are coming

my 72 year old dad is about to switch to either mint or ubuntu next month, it is happening

Attached: t-smurflet.png (812x760, 151K)

Go fuck yourself spam bot.

For years now, more and more normalfags have been going full smartphone zombie, so you're squabbling over chunks that are getting smaller and smaller.

Von Neumann architecture is ancient, do something about it, faggot.

DBUS

First one is easier

daily reminder windows=right click, double click

cli has a use. TUI (e.g. your pic)? i unironically agree. control codes were a mistake

Attached: rob pike disappoint.jpg (500x335, 19K)

*Block you path*

Attached: cmus.png (1130x666, 1.01M)

based

Attached: glances.png (1920x1080, 326K)

/thread

htop masterrace here - tried glances- ugly as fuck.

>Daily reminder that faggatory is ancient

Enjoy your RSI from repeated dragging and clicking.

>not using sound voice interface
youtu.be/hShY6xZWVGE

Hipsters...

>tfw using cli on Mac more than I use a gui
It's just faster to type in a window that is already open than it is to hit the applications button and take my fingers off the home row and scroll through applications to find the one I want and click the icon, then click a bunch of other stuff to make something happen. Like using filezilla, for example. In the time it takes to open it, connect to a server over sftp, navigate to the file I want, navigate to where I want it stored locally and download it, I could've done that with a dozen files using scp in cli.

>field tech for Fortune 500 company
>dispatched to the ghetto because some nog office can't open the cash drawer
>have to track down the head nog and have her stand by while I troubleshoot through the proprietary software so she can enter the right credentials and I can get to the 'open drawer' button
>oh wait no I can just run cmd and echo>com1
>drawer pops open and I make it out of the ghetto without getting robbed
Yeah CLI sure is retarded.

OS X's mainstream and has the same problem, moron

Why do lincucks feel the need to use the CLI over GUI then complain that normies won't use linux?

Dude Plan 9 solved this in the 90's pretty soundly. Still works great and you get all the power of the unix-like shell without the bullshit. Rio is awesome.

9front.org

Attached: 9decisions.png (500x667, 219K)

What's so great about sam/acme over vi/nano/emacs?

This is actually a really fun conversation to have irl.

I think the biggest difference to notice is that sam/acme aren't tied to a terminal emulator, but can still take advantage of the system encapsulating them.

Acme lets you pipe to/from in/out of windows and shell programs using mouse chording and text manipulation. A cool video demo here: youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M

Sam is another beast that is aimed less towards a tiling wm and text manipulation model and takes more of an ed(1) on steroids approach. It's like an alternate evolution of vi. The sam regex lang is pretty powerful and is a superset of the ed(1) regex lang. Sam lets you edit files remotely and split the operation of the GUI and headless layers over networks or otherwise.

The greatest benefits come from the 9 system being so powerful in regards to filesystem abstractions even to/from other OS's. I do all my dev work on 9 boxes plugged into other OS's because the interop is so braindead. Makes my life a lot nicer imo.

Attached: bT561.jpg (551x551, 105K)

I've never done that

are all freetards this delusional?

lincucks is for cuckolds who want to work harder for free so yes

bait thread but i'll respond anyways
CLI can do everything a GUI can do and more with more efficiency, speed, and customization including automation and the ability to literally customize every single aspect of the experience.
2/10 bait
i can type in one command and have most of my usual work automated. if you want a DE, there's plenty out there you can tailor to your liking.
underrated
install suicide linux and realize how good the default CLI is
exactly. why waste time and energy clicking on things and trying to navigate everywhere when you could do one line in the CLI
based
install *BSD

>install *BSD
Cuck license

gaanuu faggots furiously defend their CLI while larping as hax0rs, because every linux desktop enviorement and gui utility is a shitty trainwreck

Attached: 1500123218019.png (870x870, 19K)

That's because linux is for cucks. No games, no relevant software, and nobody of note outside of research uses it

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 it 8/8

Just today I had to rename a bunch of music I torrented using regex. Please tell me how a GUI with a text input field and a button would have made it any more convenient than using the rename command line utility.

Typical power of the command line:
$ find ./ -type f -name "*ED*.mkv" -exec mpv --shuffle --no-video --force-window=immediate {} +
Find all mkv files in a given directory tree matching "ED" in the filename, pass them to a video player, and make the video player randomize their playback and disable video to play audio-only. This takes no effort thanks to builtin intuitive documentation via the man command. Now do this with a GUI.

Imagine using an OS that doesn't easily allow for GUI automation and has API hooks for script automation? How is "can your GUI be automated?" even an argument at this point?

Attached: 1340353298885.jpg (247x232, 20K)

>CLI is ancient
That's a foolish thing to say.

I try. 9 helps keep the GNU depression at bay.

Will gladly answer all inquiries.

Attached: rio.fm.png (1055x915, 465K)

Why do shells have to be so tightly coupled to terminal emulators? You can have terminal emulators and a shell be separate. If you want curses you could run the virtual terminal layer. Otherwise you just enjoy the power of a shell without the limiting aspects of an emulator between you and the system.

Attached: lainrio.png (1440x900, 29K)

> use vim ... intend to use emacs
I'm calling bait.