/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: r09Aibd.jpg (549x511, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/BMkxGG
pcpartpicker.com/list/NBkxGG
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xZDtgw
youtube.com/watch?v=d04ysw9qH8Y
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JFRD29
pcpartpicker.com/product/njp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8grb
youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQEHNYE7M
youtube.com/watch?v=7FBzL7JLifw
youtube.com/watch?v=9voQqU73-Mg
youtu.be/fJCHx7mZEKo
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
pcpartpicker.com/list/ttjmq4
pcpartpicker.com/list/jTsw6s
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/HCsw6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I posted this in another thread, gonna post it here too

Which issue with my PC should I fix first?

>I have two RAM sticks, one is some shitty offbrand trash and the other is a decent Kingston DIMM
>My 400W no-name PSU already exploded once and I'm pretty sure the replacement will too. It also doesn't have a PCI power connector so I have to use a 2x Molex to 6 pin PCI to power my 1060, this also means I have a DVD drive that I can't use due to a lack of power connectors
>The chipset on my motherboard is directly under my GPU and overheats (and crashes the system) if I connect both my SATA SSD and HDD at the same time into the motherboard
>My CPU (AMD A8-6600K) is bottlenecking my GPU massively and it's a slow 100W housefire with which the stock cooler can barely keep up
>My mouse's side buttons, rapid fire button and middle mouse button are all fucked up and either don't click or 2/3/4/5/6/7-click
>My monitor is a shitty TN panel from 2008 which only uses VGA and occasionally flashes white

I'm already looking into a new PSU as recommended and I'd like some advice on what to do after that

Honestly consider an entirely new PC.

Well it's obvious you don't play games. What do you do? Browse the internet? Get a laptop.

I do, actually. I use my PC for internet browsing, gaming and some heavier tasks like 3ds Max, Sony Vegas and Photoshop. The PSU exploded while playing GTA V.

Yeah, I've wanted that for a long time. Sadly shit's expensive in eastern Europe.

Thoughts? Building it for someone. They specifically chose the case and keyboard.

Attached: intel build5.png (1071x951, 117K)

what is your budget?

>2x Molex to 6 pin PCI to power my 1060
dude that sounds like total ASS, and considering what you said before i wouldnt be surprised if your psu exploded again taking other parts with it.
>I'd like some advice on what to do after that
definitely the cpu bottleneck but that would be almost a revamp of the entire system

>intel
>no hyperthreading
its shit fix that first

>Intel
Do you hate them? That thing will be out of date within 2 years.

Right now it's about 400-500$. It'll probably rise in the future.

Yeah, I'd like a CPU upgrade, the i5 8400 is much cheaper than I thought it would be but that would mean I have to buy expensive RAM and an expensive motherboard

>That thing will be out of date within 2 years.
I highly doubt that's the case

literally get an r5 1600 and a cheap b350 board

I'm this user from previous thread. From Jow Forums's advice I vouch for this

pcpartpicker.com/list/BMkxGG

Games already tap out 4 core 4 thread CPUs no problem, and many games coming out now LOVE having 8 or more threads.
A 6 core 6 thread CPU is going to be out of date pretty fucking quick. The R5 1600/2600 at least has room to grow.

it already is

Attached: bf1 stutter.png (1602x869, 2.95M)

imblying the game isn't ever the issue

That's a good point. What CPU then? i7 8700?

Is there a way to monitor temps with the raven ridge processors in the system tray or in-game? Every application that can monitor from the tray hasn't been updated as far as I can tell :/

Either an i7 8700, or better yet, an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 (2600 launches next week), on an AMD B350, B450, X370, or X470 motherboard.

Attached: Lisa-Su-Ryzen-CPU.jpg (1920x1080, 387K)

$30 overbudget but you'd fix everything
pcpartpicker.com/list/NBkxGG

fine play games from 20 years ago so that the cpu will never utilize 100%

Waiting for the 2600x to come out later this month, the i7 is overpriced

I've heard many horror stories on Jow Forums about the motherboards being shitty, RAM speeds affecting the CPU performance heavily and other issues people have with Ryzens. Are these still true or were they just Intel shills posting?

I haven't upgraded since 2012 ... had an i7 3770 that was at 3.5GHz with auto overclock. I was thinking of the following build:
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xZDtgw

Anyway I can bring the price down to $3000?

Attached: 1407658187450.jpg (800x532, 182K)

>pci wifi card

Why would you even do that.
The pc is stationary and so is the wifi source. Just use a damn cable.
If cable is not possible at some point I'd still use ethernet and wire a reapeater as a bridge as close I can get to the router.

I don't have a ryzen system (yet) but to me that sounds like a load of bollocks.

What I do know is that you have to be careful in selecting compatible RAM, and making sure your motherboard comes pre-updated to support raven ridge, or else it doesn't even POST

>Yeah, I've wanted that for a long time. Sadly shit's expensive in eastern Europe.
Find a second hand seller for a gaming rig. Preferably something made in the past year. Also see if there's any for sale around college campuses. Do you have refurbished resales over there?

Don't get the 8700K
Don't get an AIO
Buy your memory in one kit instead of two
Don't get the 960 evo
Get the 860 evo instead of 850
Don't buy such an expensive PSU for a single GPU system
Why are you spending so much for a DVD player you can get them for basically free

There are some motherboards to avoid like the Pro4 or the Gaming Plus, faster RAM is optimal even for Intel but you can live with 2400MHz
youtube.com/watch?v=d04ysw9qH8Y

shitty motherboards only happen with budget A320 and cheap B350 boards. Intel has the same issue, but it's not as big because nothing outside an Intel Z series motherboard supports overclocking. On AMD, B and X boards support overclocking, so it gets more pronounced. Just make sure it has an actual name following the chipset and isn't an MSI B350M Gaming Pro, and it'll be fine.

Ram speed does affect Ryzen. Always has, always will because of HOW the architecture works. Ideal ram speed is 3000 (ran as 2933mhz in uefi) or 3200 mhz, which isn't much more expensive than the DDR4 standard 2400 mhz

All other issues were early teething issues. The platform has matured a LOT.

You almost HAVE to buy RAM that is on the QVL (Qualified Vendors List). Too risky not to.

Not my money, not my machine. I offered but they wanted to do this instead (for now).

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JFRD29
here

I trust G.Skill more, get this one and you'll be fine
pcpartpicker.com/product/njp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8grb

>Why are you spending so much for a DVD player you can get them for basically free

Thanks user. It's Australia everythings double the price down here.

All right guys could I have some advise here, a friend of mine is upgrading his pc so he is willing to sell me his one year old card (gtx 1080 X 8gb) for £400. My dilemma here is I know used cards could possibly get as high as over £600 on ebay (and over 700~900 for brand new one) however at same time the whole bitcoin crap is slowly getting less profitable for miners so there is a chance same card could star getting sold in massive amounts in next few months so there is a chance I could get one in even cheaper price that what he is giving me now.
Should I get this one or wait few months for the mines to start bailing by selling their rigs and lowering the value of cards ?

Attached: e49445c635e977a5149b79770d70446b.256p[1].jpg (256x256, 11K)

>I haven't upgraded since 2012
boy. Things have changed. In 2017, AMD launched Ryzen, a new CPU architecture that BTFO Intel out of fucking nowhere. It forced Intel to bring in the launch dates for X299 and Coffee Lake by 6 months.
Consider AMD Ryzen. There's actual competition now. AMD still hasn't given up on the MOAR CORES! Philosophy, but now it's 8 cores, 16 threads at the top end of the mainstream socket.
youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQEHNYE7M
youtube.com/watch?v=7FBzL7JLifw

AMD also hammered Intel by launching their first HEDT platform since AGP cards were a thing. Using the TR4 socket, AMD Threadripper gives Intel proper competition because AMD can undercut Intel on pricing in a way Intel can't fight against.
youtube.com/watch?v=9voQqU73-Mg

AMD's new architecture is scalable, which is what makes it so brilliant. Threadripper is literally 4 Ryzen dies on one PCB interconnected with 2 dies disabled

>M.2 vs SATA
Is it really worth it to switch to an M.2 SSD? Are they noticeably faster?

Should I upgrade my computer now instead of waiting until next year just in case we tariff the shit out of tech products from china or some other trade war shenanigans?

does your friend mine?
is his warranty still valid?
I would rather have a card not used for mining and one with a warranty is a bonus

Every used system has one of them though and it isn't like DVD standards have changed ever
That's not even a good deal. £350 would be closer to the MSRP in the USA, and it's been used for a year. Don't expect good deals later but know that this isn't even great on its own.
M.2 is a form factor, not a speed rating.

A lot of the shit is from Taiwan

Not with the latest BIOS updates. Almost any RAM will work

Keep most of your current rig and just get a new graphics card + monitor and an SSD if you don't have one

Get the i5 8400 + a B360 with cooling on the VRMs
The unlocked i5 is a really bad deal considering the minimal performance gains and drawbacks of overclocking
Get a better SSD
Get a monitor with HDR10

Depends on how much cash you have and what games you want to play, but I'd suggest
>mouse
>CPU+mobo+RAM
>monitor
unless the monitor is unworkable

Depending on how much you spent on the 1060, you might want to sell it while you can get a butt ton of money for it and just get the mouse + R3 2200G+mobo+RAM + monitor with the money and go without a dedicated graphics card until the Fall

Its just shills

there are different kinds of M.2 SSDs.

M.2 NGFF use SATA and you won't see a major performance diff between it and 2.5" SSDs.

NVMe on the other hand uses PCI-e lanes which drastically improves throughput. We're talking theoretical 32Gb/s bandwidth.

Thanks for the advice, I'm seriously considering a Ryzen for my PC. I'm thinking of either a R5 1600 or a i5 8400 (though the 1600 might be a better buy even though it's more expensive.) A shop here also has an i5 7640X on a huge discount (less than 200$) but I think it's a bad idea because I'll have to buy a 2066 board.

Good priced 2nd hand anything here is tough to find. Most listings for gaming PCs are things like a 3000 series Intel CPU and a 680 for 2000$ (and people buy this because they don't know better.)

>Do you have refurbished resales over there?
Only for business-class stuff like Dell Optiplexes (and I can't even salvage a good CPU out of them because everyone just orders a Core2Duo variant of these and the extra money goes missing for some reason.)

the rare earth metals used to make the shit comes virtually exclusively from china though.

youtu.be/fJCHx7mZEKo
related

>£350 would be closer to the MSRP in the USA
he isn't going to find anything like that
in the states you would be lucky finding a card for $650 which is around £460

>does your friend mine?
No, but he is using for gaming on highest setting so I guess it could be in similar state as mining card.
>is his warranty still valid?
Pretty sure it's not valid anymore (he got it as present or something)
>£350 would be closer to the MSRP
I wish i could pick up a new one at that price but like I said everything here is crazy expensive right now and Im not sure if my current crappy card will survive the to the next year.

gaming wouldn't be similar to mining
mining is under constant load and sometimes under real shitty conditions
the no warranty thing is kind of shitty though
might want to wait if your current card is good enough
or buy it for 400 then sell it for a profit
your buddy may get angry at you doing that though

When is new Ryzen coming out? The one thing I'm waiting on to buy a new pc and sell my current one.

april 19

>Don't get the 8700K
What would you recommend? I can consider the Ryzen 7 with an ASUS ROB MOBO but there's no built in wifi on those boards.

>Don't get an AIO
What's that?

>Buy your memory in one kit instead of two
Done
>Don't get the 960 evo
What's a good alternative? I want an NVME drive and heard the samsung EVO 960 was bawse.
>Get the 860 evo instead of 850
Done
>Don't buy such an expensive PSU for a single GPU system
I've reduced it based on: outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
Btw if I try to overclock the i7 coffeelake, won't it need more power draw? Is 750W enough for the system?
>Why are you spending so much for a DVD player you can get them for basically free

Thanks user. Here's my modified list, saved a tonne on RAM based on your tip.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ttjmq4

Attached: 1522496802717.png (756x542, 256K)

The monitor and mouse are still workable but they're just annoying as hell. I can't sell the 1060 and if I did I couldn't break even on it, got it for 400$ and it still retails for the same price. The R3 2200G sounds good though.

Why does Threadripper use 4 Ryzen dies with 2 disabled? Why not just use 2 dies on one PCB?

I'm keen on Ryzen 7 1800x actually. I heard it's tough to overclock it to 4GHZ. Is it still possible?
Also, I'm partial to Asus motherboards. Can you recommend one that has onboard wifi?

Attached: aM3A1AJlEHp3VBuPnQMTtl2mgde0dTsO4eYU0Poq4FU.jpg (773x768, 144K)

it will go to 4ghz no problem

>Why does Threadripper use 4 Ryzen dies with 2 disabled? Why not just use 2 dies on one PCB?
likely cuts down on cost to manufacture
ryzen 3/5/7 are the same way
all are 2 dies stuck together with various amounts of cores disabled due to not being high enough quality

>

Attached: 1506507630702.png (992x1043, 614K)

Makes sense, thanks for the explaination user.

Should have used a KSG, r9k style.

What's the deal with AMD SMT? Do all Ryzen CPUs support it? Is there a list somewhere to see which ones do/do not support SMT?

according to the sillicon lottery you can 67% of 1800x chips can get to 4.0ghz at 1.4v
it seems like most people have better luck though
1800x has the best binned chips so they are the most likely to hit 4.0
saying that if you care about the money you spend you could get a 1700 and overclock it very well
you could also get a 1600 and overclock it quite a bit if you don't need 16 threads

I gave my build another try. Here it is: pcpartpicker.com/list/jTsw6s

I don't know if I can afford threadripper but all those cores looks enticing. If I can save elsewhere, then I can consider it.

Attached: differences.png (550x354, 72K)

>1400x
>1300
>1200x
>no 1600
fucking what

Threadrippers are made at the same production line as the Epyc server chips. Threadrippers just have two 8-core chips enabled instead of the 4 found in Epyc

>Makes sense, thanks for the explaination user.
He's close, but off with his explanation.

! Ryzen die has 2 CPU complexes or CCXs as AMD calls them. Each CCX has 4 cores/8 threads. So 1 die has essentially 2 CPUs working in tandem. The 2 CCXs communicate through a special data bus AMD calls the "Infinity Fabric". The Infinity Fabric runs at the bus speed of the ram, which is why ram speed affects Ryzen performance. It has a direct effect on how the CPU communicates with itself.
Pic related is a die shot of Ryzen.

Threadripper uses 2 disabled dies to help with support of the heat spreader.

EPYC is a server version of Threadripper with all 4 dies activated. and many added security features.

All Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7, and Ryzen Threadripper CPUs support SMT.

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-Die-Shot.jpg (1432x646, 382K)

Whats a good NVME card? Is the Samsung 960 EVO any good?

It would be pretty nice if you could enable the disabled 8 core chips, kinda like what you can do to those 3-core AMD processors.

1600 is same as the 1600x with a lower base and boost clock
the chart is good enough for his question

I don't own NVMe personally, but a 960 EVO will do nicely.

My ONLY complaint is the DVD drive. If you're going for an optical drive these days, make sure it can at least play blu ray.

All processors aside from the R3 lineup have SMT. But I think that the 2 core mobile APU has it enabled.

So my old processor (the one currently in my PC) is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. I am looking to replace it (already have a new motherboard ASRock B250 Pro4) as it is bottlenecking the hecking heck out of my GPU (GTX970). I was looking at the i5-7500. I cannot tell what the differences are between the old (AMD) and new (Intel) processors, they are both quad core and 3.4GHz. Someone please show me what I'm missing.

Also, I just saw that the i5-7500 shouldn't be bought and I should go with a Coffee Lake CPU, which one for a similar (or lower) pricepoint?

Thanks, friends.

Attached: i5 7500.jpg (1280x960, 69K)

Would this be good for learning programming and shitposting on /gee/?
>AMD A10 quad-core 3.9ghz
>16GB RAM (doesn't specify speed)
>1TB
>Radeon R5
>380 murican dollarydoos
its a prebuilt because im an impatient fuck who cant wait for parts along with being a brainlet

>Kaby Lake.
Kid. bad news. Dead socket. and even if you use it, it's already outdated. 6 cores is the minimum right now and your motherboard can't support it. B250 doesn't support Coffee Lake (neither does Z270, or H270) so you need a new motherboard anyways.

Go for AMD Ryzen. More cores and threads for the price and it's competitive

which A10?

>Use case : 165 hz vidya \w 8700k CPU/ 1080 Ti SLI's

What i need is a good 16gb RAM that can OC with tight timings to 4000 Mhz+

Budged : unlimited $

X370 Taichi has Wi-Fi, the Crosshair has a skew with wireless also.
AIOs are cheap liquid coolers that are more expensive than vapor chamber towers but perform about the same
The 960 EVO is only good if you have a real use for it, not just "I want super fast speeds lol"
You aren't going to exceed 750W with 6 cores and one GPU.

>i5-7500
i3-8350k seems to be better in just about every way at a lower price
you may want to wait for the new chipsets or go with ryzen though

no. Keep looking though

>upgrading video card
>decided on 1060
>now can't pick from MSI or Gigabyte

You will never convince me that these aren't the exact same card.

Are you saying the latest BIOS updates for B360 boards will allow for RAM higher than 2666 MHz? I still say it's a good idea to purchase from the QVL.

Thanks, I was confused how to phrase my original question. I understand the terminology a bit better now after looking up some more information. I noticed the 960 Evo is $200 for the 500 GB, the mobo in pic related supports, is there any reason NOT to go for the nvme ssd?

I also might completely change my mind after the new Ryzen comes out. Not in a rush.

Attached: intel build6.jpg (624x764, 108K)

I don't know about Gigabyte but i bought MSI this year and it's very good. I dislike cringy illuminated logo, but it's quiet since cooler starts working only at 60C+ and i had no problems with it so far. Plus Afterburner is nice.

pick the one with the bigger cooler or better warranty

Hey anons. What is the best budget ATX motherboard for Raven Ridge?

>~$100
>B350 chipset

The REASON people say don't buy MSI or Gigabyte is because they signed Nvidia's anti-competition, anti-consumer GPP program.

The problem with NVMe drives is that very few consumers have any reason to pay more for them, unlike SSDs in general. The higher bandwidth means nothing for most applications.

No problem, I got a 1200 before the 2200g was released and a 1050 for $100 a couple of months ago and at stock all the games that I've tried are GPU limited

Attached: RE7-Very High.png (1920x1080, 2.02M)

Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4

I understand the disappointment in my purchases, but the least you could do is actually provide a solution. The MOBO is bought, that is something I am going to have to deal with.

The other dude just said that Coffee Lake won't work with my MOBO. I could probably return it, what motherboard should I go for? I'm looking for a blue/white color scheme and about $100 or less.

I don't really have any interest in overclocking, would a non-K sku be better or does it not really matter?

Attached: i3 8350K.jpg (1280x960, 84K)

>The MOBO is bought, that is something I am going to have to deal with.
Get an i7 7700 then

>I could probably return it, what motherboard should I go for? I'm looking for a blue/white color scheme and about $100 or less.
MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic (ATX)
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic (mATX)

I've updated my parts lists to factor in an i7
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/HCsw6s

Yeah. The person I'm building it for does video editing and it's painfully slow on their current laptop. She will also be doing games and streaming, as well as recording. I don't know how much an improvement an NVMe drive would be.

I'm just going to ignore the fact that you all aren't really reading what I'm saying and keep asking questions anyway.

Is there a real difference between the quality and such of AMD and Intel? I have a bad taste in my mouth after an AMD GPU crapped out on me in the past.

>Is there a real difference between the quality and such of AMD and Intel?
no

The B350-F Rog Strix is optimal, to spend less the GA-AB350-Gaming 3 or Fatal1ty AB350 K4 and Tuf B350M-Plus or GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 for a mATX build. B350 PC Mate or Prime B350-Plus are acceptable for a small overclock

Video editing is one application that could benefit, so I think you have a good case there. If she does very heavy writes as well I would suggest the 960 PRO instead.