Tfw you never have to upgrade ever again

>tfw you never have to upgrade ever again

Attached: intel-core-i5-2500k-quad-core-socket-1155-vishvapc-1512-19-vishvapc@1.jpg (988x972, 174K)

>actually believing this
People said that about their Pentium 4's.

at least upgrade to a xeon nibba

>he bought the 2500k instead of 2600k

i feel sorry for you

Attached: 2018-04-06-200448_287x13_selection.png (287x13, 789)

>meltdown

i'm still running a core2 quad, no complaints

>he bought the 2600k instead of 2300

i feel sorry for you

Attached: 1521410637547.png (1290x725, 592K)

>[email protected]

Give me a reason intel/amd.

Attached: i7-4770k.jpg (1920x1080, 251K)

bleh .. i have an i5 4670k .. some ocing ./ . but dammit i think i need to upgrade.

Wanna trade?
I have a 6700k lying about unused and no clue what to do with it.

Buy an x5470 and enjoy 4k+ smoothness for £35

My q6600 did serve me well.

No one ever said that about Pentium4.

this will end with the PS5 and the twobone get non-poverty CPUs finally, and ported games can no longer squeak by with 4 hardware threads, bumping the "no upgrade nebber ebber" chip to the 2600K or more likely the 3770K.

Never obsolete

Enjoy your no NVMe M.2 and outdated architecture. I have my old 2600k in a professorial frame with the rest in storage waiting for when the nukes drop.

Enjoy being limited by sixteen PCIe 2.0 lanes, no native USB 3.0/TB3 support, no native NVMe support or M.2 Express and being stuck on DDR3.

Core2Duo E8600 calling in. Comfy.

thats a quality piece right there

>and being stuck on DDR3.
Not that bad, considering current DDR4 prices.

all you need in a laptop

Attached: 1508293807357.png (326x20, 5K)

>not spending hundreds of dollars on RGB DDR4

What are you poor?

I know this feel

Attached: on2mrrla82gz.jpg (3024x3024, 1019K)

upgrade your DE to KDE and then you'll actually be set

that's not mine i just posted a pic of an x230

i use windows like a normal person

Nigga, a 4.5ghz+ 2600k blows the 2500k out of the water.

DDR3 prices are just as bad, famo

This. C2D runs like a dream after all these years. Why the fuck would a non-gaymer upgrade?

Yea, keep telling yourself that. I'm not saying you can't still get work done on it (I still have several Core 2s) but it's not going to compete against the latest chips by a longshot.

compete how exactly

if you can do what you do with what you have why upgrade

this: P4s were known for being shit

used DDR3 are much cheaper than used DDR4, for obvious reasons

Modern chips are completely overkill for the average user.

>People said that about their Pentium 4

I don't think so.

No, people said that about their fire hydrant when they got a new one AFTER their Pentium 4

>im still running modded q6600

Attached: gk87yzr5s9ux.jpg (248x310, 11K)

i still play VNs on an atom 110

>FUCKING FOOT
>CHINKPAD
Kek

Also on an i5-2500k, never overclocked either.

Who needs all that fancy-shmancy PCIe 3.0, DDR3L/DDR4, M.2 form factor, NVMe boot, anyway? I like to make the most out of what I've got.

6 years going strong, and here is to another glorious 6 years!

Attached: cheers_me_dears.jpg (786x1023, 102K)

i'll be fucked if my motherboard fails on me. the only 1155 mobos i can find are on ebay for like £50+ used :(

I imagine the battery life of these isn't great.

You are correct. My battery is very old tho

>This. C2D runs like a dream after all these years. Why the fuck would a non-gaymer upgrade?
Video/audio editing, compiling code, etc, etc. I used a C2D a while back though, and with a ssd it would be probably fine for basic computing.

Why would a non-gamer, non-workstation-user want to upgrade?

>compiling code
because you would really need an [email protected] silicon lottery golden egg chip to get reasonable compilation times?

Yeah, but you're far more likely to already have a decent amount of it, if you're bought any in the last 10 years. I have 18GB on my desktop (3-channel DDR3), if I upgraded right now to a Ryzen platform I would have to justify to myself blowing >$150 on just 16GB of RAM. I'm not paying to downgrade my memory capacity, fuck that.

That's absolute consumerist nonsense. Old chips just werk. Circlejerks about 5% differences between new chips is absolutely moronic considering a damn 2500 is actually still really nice and a core 2 quad's only real downside is the power/perf is bad enough that an upgrade is definitely justified just for electricity cost over time.

t. 2600k owner not even considering upgrading because my chip does everything just fine, and will for the foreseeable future.

I still run a P4. It works great. Why replace what ain't broke?

Who else 4790K here?

Attached: images.jpg (384x384, 14K)

>tfw poorfag with 4670k @4.5ghz

compiling.

MyPoozen 7 @3.8GHz rapes my old 2600K @ 4.2GHz

literally none of that matters. SATA SSDs are fine and no Single GPU profits from PCIe 3.0. Every motherboard back then already had USB 3.0 chips, why the fuck would I care if it’s native or not.

>tfw 3550 owner still strong

Attached: 1521826520746.jpg (334x349, 34K)

>MyPoozen 7 @3.8GHz rapes my old 2600K @ 4.2GHz
Lol sure it does Pewds. I mean you have so much encoding to get done after all.

>tfw just got a 4770

normal is defined by the individual. you're just low IQ

spectre not getting bios patch.

>not getting a ryzen 1700 for 100$, overclocking it to 4ghz and multitasking for 10 years to come
I feel sorry for you

>bought phenom ii 1090t for $30
undervolted 3.2 GHz at 1.225V
how did i do?

I sold my 2600k at 4.9 only to upgrade the mobo

I’m working on my master’s thesis, an application jn the medical sector written in C++. I’m a brainlet and need to recompile this shit every 5 minutes. Poozen greatly helped reduce compile times.

Why do you care? Its just a component to a computer.

/thread

4970k reporting in. Motherboard just broke, but CPU going strong.

I smoked pot instead of getting the 2600k or 2700k

no regrets at all

A lot changed between 2000 and 2007.
Not a fucking shit has changed between 2011 and 2018.

DDR3 holds back an aggressively overclocked Sandy-Bridge, Haswell and Ivy Brdige chip.

DDR4 is the main reason why Skylake got a noticeable bump over Haswell and its older siblings in most applications.

>Implying first generation third-party controllers USB 3.0 weren't riddled with stupid issue that still persist today

>Implying that will never be a killer app in the foreseeable future that will punish I/O throughput of older SSD SATA and HDDs or applications begin to need more than four threads for optimal operation

>being this jealous

>ME
meh

you made a bad call getting a 2500k over a 2600k

HT is a hoax in 2nd gen and 2mb of cache less is irrelevant

I'll probably upgrade from my i5 3470 to Zen 2 just for fun.

>Every motherboard back then already had USB 3.0 chips, why the fuck would I care if it’s native or not.
Because those old third party controllers were utter trash and slow as shit. They don't even work properly with some newer peripherals (especially VR headsets).

Pic related: Serves me well. I play only older games (1996- 2k4) and only real core pushing task is occasional video encoding job. God help us if the shit that is newer MS Windows/Office ever requires 32GB ram to run. I still run Office 2k7.

Attached: desktop phenom logo update copy.jpg (894x588, 169K)

USB 3 is native.

don't cheap out on the motherboard, dumbfuck. you get what you pay for.

Whatever processor I use I always use it with Windows 10 as it allows me the unleash the full potential of my hardware. Get Windows 10 and experience the true power of your processor.

SHUT UP

Attached: 1492855909643.png (1228x1502, 944K)

Actually today I decided to start saving up for new parts.
I keep getting some retarded and random video issues, I already RMA'd one graphics card and I can't do that again with this one since I'll definitely get a shittier one because of those ridiculous price increases lately.
It's pissing me off, I can't tell if it's windows or if hardware is fucked. Linux seems to give better results but not even KDE can fix tearing with their own compositor so I gave up.
Not sure why it says 4GB when it's the 8GB one

Attached: Speccy64_2018-04-07_16-27-03.jpg (552x508, 50K)

Only "upgrades" I'll have to do is storage wise for my server and desktop as hdds die or I hit capacity limit. Everything else not at all cause fuck man really what's the big deal between say office 2k7 and 2016 other than the whole "online cloud bullshit"? Nothing far as I can tell. Do I really need "cloud integration", fuck no, I don't even use half the shit that's baked into office 2k7 as it is. Same goes with going from Windows 7 - Ten, won't do me a bit of good. Won't change the stuff I do now, Won't make my life better, so what would be the point.

>Have a i5 2500 / GTX950
>All basic stuff feels quick and snappy
>Enough for all the games I play
>Can playback 4k video content, not that that matters since everything I enjoy still caps out at 1080p
>Do 3D modeling in Blender and Cycles takes a goddamn eternity to render

I want an upgradddddddddeeeeeee

> Runs a 3570K which is basically a slightly-tweaked SB die-shrink with PCIe 3.0 controller.

> Idiots are still calling them jelly when they point out the flaws in SB/IB platforms.

i broke my stock cooler (long story, but essentially, i'm a retard) 4 years into owning my 4670k.

i picked up a 212 evo and overclocked to 4.4ghz, and now its comparable in performance to the current i5, meaning i can get another 4 years out of it

>no hyperthreading

im sorry you didn't get the 2600k

This is like not upgrading from a Galaxy S2 or iphone 4

>have 2500k and enjoy it for years
>chip degraded out of any overclock back to stock values
>really limits me in Blender, Zbrush and even 2d painting
>be a poor shitholer
>just got a good by local standards job
>still gotta collect a couple paychecks before I can finally could afford a whole new ryzen system

6 years laters we're still at the same number of cores, still at the same clocks speed
Give me one reason to upgrade from a 2500K ?
I use it to do machine learning

>Give me one reason to upgrade from a 2500K ?
try intense 3d for example

i thought that im the only one here that still uses it because i have not seen these threads in a while.

Attached: fetch.png (543x278, 30K)

Attached: 8D894AA1-C567-463E-9800-EF477D5A975A.jpg (2250x3000, 523K)

HT and that +2MB cache won't help gayman, but they're not useless features for many workloads. Software rendering and encoding for example. Lots of anons who never do anything useful with their time will say those are things nobody does, but for people who do actual work, shaving 15 min off an hour long render or encode was a godsend.

Nice. That chip could probably be doing 4GHz, but of course you pay the power usage for it.

delid 3770k master race

More likely it's your mobo shitting the bed than CPU itself.

>being a corelet in the current year

So a recent processor will perform better even if it has the same numer of cores, the same cache, the same clockspeed ? Is it magic ?

It's instructions per clock.

Maybe check your monitor/cables/inputs.

well one of the major issues was pic related. Before that I had an asus 770 card which would cause my computer to randomly reset. RMA'd it and got a 1070, now I only experience this ocassionally, it makes the screen go black and fucks up almost every program that's opened.
Tried to do some ghosting tests on that UFO site and it couldn't sync up properly because of performance issues and stuttering so I don't know what to think anymore. Worked fine in KDE when I booted it up on a livecd.
I'm just going to replace everything, reinstall completely and hope it'll work. If not I'm RMAing this piece of shit again, hopefully the warranty will still be valid by then

Attached: mmc_2018-04-07_17-56-50.jpg (884x636, 100K)

*ahem*

Attached: 19-103-674-03.jpg (640x480, 18K)

And its another 2500k thread.

Yes, we get it that your cpu is outdated and should be in museum. but you dont have to brag about it

Attached: 1514932224256.gif (1221x768, 699K)

>buy i7 3770k for like $99 when it was new via intel accom at my work
>16gb ram just in case i want to do vms or some shit
>decent video card, can still play games at med/high at 1080p

I just want a reason to upgrade. My computer is still good enough and I don't have a reason.

feels bad man