/spg/ - Smartphone General

スクールデイズ - Love Triangle edition.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Recent News:
>Apple Pay support added for more banks in North America and Europe
phonearena.com/news/Apple-Pay-support-added-more-banks-North-America-Europe_id103881

>Sony Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact hit the store shelves in Europe
phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-XZ2-XZ2-Compact-hit-the-store-shelves-Europe_id103880

>Facebook Messenger will allow you to retract messages after Mark Zuckerberg was caught doing it
xda-developers.com/facebook-messenger-unsend-messages/

>Google Chrome is getting a full-scale Material Design 2 revamp on its birthday
xda-developers.com/google-chrome-material-design-2-android-p/

Previous →

Attached: 1509679231549.jpg (850x638, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want
>stock android
>4GB+ ram
>relatively large
>quality/luxury build
>can run custom ROMs
chink phones are fine. any recommendation?

my mommy has a nexus 6p and it's falling apart

what's a good comparable phone to that that's new and less expensive?

i don't have time to research too much, please help

since it didn't get any answers last thread:
I'm a total smartphone noob, got a free Galaxy S3 Neo and want to install a custom rom. I have no bloody idea which one is decent for this phone considering it's age/power. Somebody said Lineage, but apparently it has issues draining the battery super fast so I'm staying away for now.
Any recommendations on what to get for this phone for somebody who has NO clue when it comes to mobile hard/software?

Attached: snapshot_11.41_[2016.07.29_02.35.09].png (1920x1080, 3.79M)

What about the Essential PH-1?

why buy any other phone but samsung?

Attached: galaxys.jpg (1200x851, 330K)

Nokia 8 sirocco? Not sure about the ROMs tho

>less expensive?

what did you pay for it? the 350 GSM arena says it costs now or a lot more when it was new?

ever since i used my s6, s7e and s8+ they've all just became slow over time, touchwiz is seriously as bad as people made it out to be.

pixel 2xl is so much smoother, glad i swapped.

Maybe check the forum for your phone on xda-developers... there's a couple of roms in there.

I am looking for rootable phones that are supported by either LineageOS or CopperheadOS.

I like Google Pixel 2 but it doesn't have expandable storage. Is that a huge deal?

I also like Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Which one is better?

I did, there is a whole load of them. Problem is like I said that I've never owned a smartphone and thus I'm not experienced enough to pick one out. Clicking trough there all I see is a laundry list of issues on work in progress systems, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend one.

I have a 128 gb card in my phone to run titanium backup off of and it's entirely full of mp3 320s

do you want a giant record/movie player? if you do a 128 or 256 card in the sd slot is the way to go

i think it was like $550 new

i think she'd like a different phone though, this one had a few build quality issues

Is a new note 4 a good buy if I can get if for cheap?

>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

america, tmobile, same features as nexus 6p, under $300 USD, same size as nexus 6p

So my OP1 finally bit the dust. Had a nasty drop and one massive crack later the touch screen went unresponsive. I attempted a repair and in the process fucked the softball battery because of the adhesive, and the ribbon for the sleep/wake button. The back housing and frame are fucked from previous drops to the point of needing critical replacement. Those last parts seem near impossible to find so im abandoning ship.
So my questions are
Where should I sell this motherboard+components mess?

And what now? OP5ts are out of stock and the 6 wont drop till June at least. Do I buy a Mi Mix 2? Do I wait for the OP6? Do I buy a non chinkphone?!? If so is there a reccomended pastebin?

pls help posting from a cracked dirty galaxy s3

Attached: 20180406_212509.jpg (3264x2448, 1.99M)

Price really isn't an issue, I like the phablet size of the OP1 but don't care about size. I live in USA and im not commited to a phone carrier. Im an eas y sell really

I bought a Pixel XL new for ~450USD but I live in Australia, Oneplus 5T is around 480. Tell me how retarded I am also should I try to cancel the purchase and buy something else? I was going to go with Nokia 6 but locked bootloader

You're fine

OnePlus 5T looks good but shit camera and it phones home to China apparently? Google phone phones to Google but still

Should I bite the bullet with this one? now it's a lot cheaper in my country because of the s9

Attached: 6798_27_1.jpg (2081x2516, 327K)

Complete android noob here. I've owned only iphones, never android. But I've always jailbreak my iphone. Should I look for android phones that are rootable? Like picking Samsung Galaxy S7 over S8?

How safe is it to buy used phones these days, as in, how long will they last? It seems like ever since batteries became "nonremovable," they die quicker.

>have s8 us unlocked
>the last model to officially get the oreo update for fuck all reasons holy shit its been a year
>download and install update
>bootloops
>haven't touched the os, entirely stock no root or anything
>try everything, finally give up hope and do a factory reset
>it doesn't fix anything

Attached: 1480887778739.jpg (600x456, 29K)

So I somehow fried my U11 battery with a bad USB C cable and now it won't charge. Any recommendations for a phone around $200? I'm in the US.

If this helps any, I'm using a M9 as a backup and noticed how much I missed dual front facing speakers. So I'd like something with those.

There is no point in buying a smartphone now when we're on the edge of every phone out there adopting fingerprint sensors on the screen and it's not wise to buy the first iteration of new tech. Then there is the fact that there a couple of 120hz phones out there, which could also become a standard soon. Otherwise you're literally buying expensive outdated tech.

What if I just want something cooler than my note 3? I can't find anything other than note 8 with better processor n ram.

So, what will be the last android version that the s8 is gonna get? Does it change with Treble?

probably P and really late

Quick fa/g/s

Xiaomi Redmi 4x
or
Samsung J5 Pro
or
Motorola Moto G 5S

Attached: 1522691058635.png (1111x597, 520K)

Why the fuck is the pixel so fucking expensive, holy shit?

Because it's top tier and jewgle can't miss them juicy top tier shekels

>see t mobile has some lit deal on the moto z2 force
>durr you have to get the $70 unlimited plan xd
is there something I'm missing here or are cell providers just this jewish now
I've had this lg g3 since it was new, totally out of the loop on these companies and their practices

Phones without dogshit battery? I currently have a Note 8 and the battery barely gets me through the day. Something with at least 4GB of RAM. All I do on my phone is browse the web, use Clover, listen to music and an occasional phone call.

>is there something I'm missing here or are cell providers just this jewish now
>now

the lg g3 is 4 years old mate I'm very out of the loop
when I got this phone it was like $50 on upgrade, providers simply do not do those promos anymore from what I can see

You don't need 4gb of ram for smooth usage of a phone, 3 will do perfectly fine. As for battery life, xiaomi phones have god tier batteries. I have a redmi 4 pro that I only charge once every 3 days. It can do 11~12 hours of SOT.

What do you think of the samsng s7? They are about $200 and have OLED.

Pretty nice so far. Battery starts to underperform at 2 years of age, but if all you do is call moderately, it will hold charge for the entire day still. Under moderate use, it will also hold charge for at least 12 hours.

I have a sprint note 8, and I'm looking at moving to a place where the only coverage is Verizon. If I do, I'll need to trade my phone in to verizon to get a verizon phone. Under these circumstances, would I be better off getting another note or is there something better?
I love the s pen but could survive without it.

Can't decide between LG G6 and moto x4. Mainly because the moto x4 has Android One which means it will for sure get updates and stuff as opposed to the LG G6 not to mention the near stock android. Thoughts?

Attached: MotoX4_LaydownCombo_SuperBlkDv_cropped.0.jpg (1200x800, 63K)

Forgot to add that I think curved screens are a shot meme that needs to die. They have no purpose for existing other than getting repair centers more business.

something good for android development?
was just gonna pick up a basic samshit

LG is fucking garbage, they can't ever be fucked to fix things they know are broken (look up LG G4 bootloop) and their customer support is absolutely useless. Great phones though as long as they work

OP5T

Huawei Mate SE

Xiaomi

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

holy smokes samsung left qualcom in the dust with its exynos 9810

www.techrankup.com/smartphones-ranking-geekbench-4-single.php

Exynos is better only on paper, Samsung gimped it too hard in the S9:
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/

>Ever since we first heard about the Exynos 9810 we had very large expectations and we knew there would be some tangible differences between Exynos and Snapdragon variants. The expectations couldn’t be more shattered than the results we got. While the Snapdragon 845 variant of the Galaxy S9 performed largely as advertised and as we had been told to expect by Qualcomm, the Exynos 9810 failed to live up to its hype in real-world scenarios. Effectively, the Exynos 9810 variant and as evidenced by all the data we collected, is the slower variant of the two. The root cause here has been identified as the extremely conservative scheduler and DVFS mechanisms which essentially nullify any advantage the new M3 cores have in synthetic benchmarks.

>In 3D benchmarks, the Exynos 9810 posted very healthy efficiency improvements and even sometimes managed to catch up to last year’s Adreno 540. Qualcomm’s new Adreno 630 raises the bar in terms of peak performance, however the promises of increased efficiency have not materialised in the commercial hardware as the performance boost comes at a cost of increased power. Effectively, when looking at sustained workloads, the Snapdragon 845 isn’t any faster than the Snapdragon 835 in its GPU department. Fortunately for Qualcomm, they’re still in the lead and this is not a deal-breaker for the Galaxy S9.

>While the performance advantage of the Snapdragon 845 variant over the Exynos 9810 variant is something we could live with, the battery life results of the Exynos is definitely a deal-breaker. I’m not sure of the root cause here and whether it’s something that can be fixed by software, but showcasing such a battery runtime regression over its predecessor is universally something that we can all agree on as not acceptable for a flagship device.

Should I buy the S9 or S9+?

Any Ausfags recommend best place to buy outright or buy on a plan? Telstra is overpriced as shit

Attached: s9_leak.jpg (1000x664, 24K)

Get the S9+ unless the size is an issue, you get the dual camera, more RAM and better battery life

I'd suggest anything that comes with stock Android if you're interested in development.

How about phone case? Any recommendations?

Attached: scooch_galaxy_s9-720x720.jpg (720x480, 23K)

This is infuriating. Clover constantly segfaults and overchan always prompts for captcha even after I've logged in. Help!

Because exynos variant is crap and the Chikwuei with Kirin even worse.

I'm still running iOS 10 on my iPhone 7. Should I update to 11 already? I'm getting mixed feedback on it.

Autist here.

What's the best looking phone that comes in red?

Requirements;

Good battery (highest concern)
smaller size
android
comes in red

that's literally it.

Attached: 13804.jpg (906x1280, 100K)

Mi A1, Oneplus 5T

Attached: 21985-26043-1_570_855_0_100_campaign-asia-content-IMG_2637-l.jpg (660x440, 41K)

>Mi A1, Oneplus 5T
thanks
what phone is that?

Huawei Enjoy 7 Plus KFC edition

And where's the MCdonald edition?

Xz1 compact Red is 322 on Amazon.it

So I just got my S8 yesterday, been holding out to get one for ages as it had everything I wanted. The one thing I absolutely hate and didn't realise about the device though, the speaker, what the fuck were they thinking with a single speaker on the bottom, the moment you rotate the phone to watch something the sound is fucking awful and your finger covers the speaker, it's literally worse than the S3 I just upgraded from.

Should have got the S9, it's got stereo speakers

I DON'T FUCKING KNOW WHAT TO BUY

I'm thinking of buying the Sharp S2. The standard model has the Snapdragon 630, 64GB storage and 4GB RAM. the upgraded model has the 660, 128GB storage and 6GB RAM. It costs $100 USD extra - will it be worth it over the base model?

All the android phones that come in red looks gay.
Why can't Android smartphone manufacturers use the red color of the iPhones that Apple uses. That deeper and shiny red looks amazing.

plz tell me it is gonna be real
I fucking love the look of this

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-Mix-2s.jpg (800x800, 35K)

Yes get the 660 version, it's much much better

Thanks.

The phone came out already and sorry to disappoint you but it does NOT look like that. Look it up.

just moved up to the essential from an iphone 5s and i fucking love it aside from the camera but I haven't tried it with gcam yet. Are there any apps I should have now that i'm back on android?

Clover Dev (best Jow Forums browser)
Newpipe / YouTube Vanced (ad-free youtube, can play videos in the background)
Mobdro (free live TV)
Terrarium TV (free TV shows and movies)
Popcorn time (same as above)
Showbox (same as above)
DNS66 / Blokada (root-free adblock)
Adaway (adblock, needs root)
Tachiyomi (FOSS manga reader)
MiXplorer (a great file explorer)
Mikandi (app store for "adult" apps)
Fildo (stream and download music)
Akhyou! (Stream anime)
AnYme (same as above)
A custom launcher if ricing is your thing (Nova Launcher is very good)
TuneInRadio (internet radio)
Flud (best android torrent client IMO)
VLC (media player)

Best file browser for Android?

Purely for headphone audio quality, do I go for HTC U11, LG V20/30, Axon 7 or something?

Attached: 1522867703032.jpg (1080x782, 121K)

LG V30

holy shit thank you

Quick please
What should I buy?
Samsung S8
Or
Moto Z2 Play
As far as I can see they are kind of similar in specs, unless I'm retarded. Those are the only options I have right now.

Should I Redmi 5 Plus?

a phone like Mi Mix but with good battery when?
all flagships have gimped screens and shit batteries
REEEEEEEEEEEE
I just want high screen to body ratio phone with good battery. fuck the 'thin' meme, without it we would have such phones by now
also, who cares about meme shit like 4k, fingerprint, face unlock, newest power-hungry SoC (not like you couldn't shitpost on 410 and who's gonna compile on a fucking phone?)

636 vs 625 power usage?
Can't find shit about it.
Only thing I worry about when it comes to Meme 5.

No, Redmi Note 5

Well, there is the Mi Max 2 with a 5300 mAH battery.

Attached: xiaomi-mi-max-2-matte-black.jpg (660x607, 63K)

>all flagships
Do you need really need a flagship?
A lot of phones have big batteries now, the nokia 7 plus comes with a 3800 mAh battery, the moto E4 comes with a 5000 mAh battery, the Redmi note 5 etc

Not really, but so far only the more expensive phones are bezelless.

10 minutes ago my Mi5 started to trigger google assistant and close apps randomly and it unlocks while being blocked. Is it rip?

A bit too big and anyway still has shitty big bottom bezel (which is the most important one to remove, as it makes it harder to reach the very top of the screen).
Mi Max 3 (rumors) looks perfect though, if only it was 6"-6.3".

>so far only the more expensive phones
Not really tho, the Redmi Note 5 and Nokia 7 plus have a 18:9 screen. The redmi is at 150€ and the nokia 7 plus will come out in a week at 400€

>Mi Max 3
Yeah, I am waiting to see what they'll come up with for that phone. If it's good, I just may upgrade to it.

Fuck the stock android and get the S9

Xiaomeme redmi note 5

Use it to drown yourself faggot

This.

Samsung is the best.
Put your sister to the test

Get a S9

If under $100 then yes

Just get the S9 you poorlet

>Just get the S9 you poorlet
The dude is complaining about the battery and you're advising him to get a S9?

The bezels, especially the bottom one are still too big, Nokia seems to have gimped sides of the screen.
What I want is a perfect rectangle with 1-2mm bezels (bezels can be curved so the phone isn't complete brick) for more durability and good battery (every SoC and camera is good enough unless you gayyme or are a wannabe photographer/instagram slut so other shit doesn' matter). Slap a case with raised front and you have literal perfection.
Until a time such a phone appears, I'm keeping my Redmeme.

>What I want is a perfect rectangle with 1-2mm bezels
Like the upcoming vivo apex?

cont
The sad part is that right now you have to choose between good battery or bezelless (and that most bezelless have gimped screens: curved side edges, notches, curved corners).

>The dude is complaining about the battery and you're advising him to get a S9?

As far as i know all s9 come with a new battery