/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
>Most minimal
LFS

>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS

>Hipster minimal
Crux, Void, FreeBSD, GuixSD,
Source Mage

>Autistic/sane minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD

>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Minimal programs lists
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: lul.jpg (1752x1690, 221K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
github.com/pimutils/khal
wiki.9gridchan.org/public_grid/index.html
drawterm.9front.org/
github.com/9fans/plan9port
calcurse.org/
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Openbox

second for dwm

Third for posting from a raspberry pi

post a pic

>choosing an os
except debian and ubuntu have to tried in live first unless you want to install [if debian's installer doesn't fail] to find out it doesn't work right or is buggy

That makes no sense, ESL please go.

esl is minimal

it's kinda comfy I guess

Attached: scrot.jpg (1920x1080, 451K)

what makes no sense? it's plain engles

Welp i installed crux after 5th attempt. Then went on to install xorg and it took a fucking eternity to install. Back to debian i go.

Do people use sid here or just stable? Also firefox ESR or nightly?

sid is the best actually, and nightly is also very good

Does anyone know any minimal calendar apps ?

>github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
cal

khal
github.com/pimutils/khal
or calcurse if you need one with notifications.

>Debian
>sane
Not until it uses standard defaults instead of its special snowflake garbage.

>arch kali
worst byte I've ever seen

>linux fags
>having a life

Best joke I've heard today.

Not really a calendar app but org-mode can do that and some apps make it possible to use the same calendar on your phone.

Attached: os.png (1914x1690, 287K)

Am I """minimal"""" enough kids

Attached: Capture-2018-04-07-18:00:07.png (1024x768, 61K)

Does using gentoo even make sense when there are distros like arch?

>install alpine
>turns out its repos is full of gnu shit
>everything I try to install depends somehow in gnu shit
why did you lie to me

>alpine
>gnu shit
What are you, the living meme?

>icons
filthy hoarder

Plan 9 minimalism is by design and feels very comfy.

Anyone interested in a fun adventure in distributed systems should check out the /grid/: wiki.9gridchan.org/public_grid/index.html

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 2.09.00 PM.png (1416x1133, 104K)

cal(1) is the only correct answer posted.

Attached: 51JVOrBeFyL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 38K)

>memory: 680 MB of 923 MB used
t-thanks, web browsers...

as minimal as win10

Nobody ever said that alpine can't run any GNU related software, it just uses musl instead of glibc and busybox instead of some GNU tools.

Attached: 1509681058243.jpg (797x799, 43K)

Your screen resolution is certainly minimal xD

yes, especially since there are distros like arch
use a bsd then

Is it hard to Debian netinst am noob

like windows xp basically

I already use Mint, I've installed mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Elementary and even Debian xfce but never netinst, I wanna know if it's harder to install, never installed arch either

Not terribly. You get either a GUI or Ncurses installer, and you just go through it. When you get to the step where it asks what DE, uncheck everything. Your install should finish and leave you at a TTY after reboot, where you can then do whatever you want (Install X or Sway, configure shit, etc)

it's easy

This gives me confidence!

Great! I hope you’ll give it a go soon!
Also, do u like kittens? UwU

Attached: 15A78ABC-AEBF-49DB-A04D-39D9D8004E1C.jpg (736x744, 49K)

is there a list of resources to get common TUI software working with xterm/urxvt "meta key sets 8th bit" instead of sending meta as escape sequence? the delay between keystrokes in some programs has annoyed me forever and i want to send single characters for meta- keys or for the ESC key

on a similar note, i've noticed urxvt doesn't support CSI sequences directly, you have to prefix a sequence with "ESC [" for them to work. nowadays we're eight-bit safe; why are we still using legacy hacks for this shit?

KEK

Attached: stranger.png (622x71, 10K)

anyone use netBSD? Is it good as a minimal distro?

never mind, ignore my post, it most likely wouldn't work right with UTF-8

I love you!

the only thing out of my post that could still work is swapping "ESC+[" with "CSI" because that's within the control code range, and utf-8 was specifically designed to be backwards-compatible with that. but sending characters like "meta-A" wouldn't work because that's in the unreserved UTF-8 bytespace

so, would my second request be feasible still? does anyone know how to get a terminal emulator to accept the high-bit control codes correctly? or are we stuck with prepending escape characters to everything?

>anyone use netBSD?
Dude, fuck off

I hear it’s used on ancient hardware like VAX and shit, so yeah it should be pretty lightweight.

> The minimal configuration for a NetBSD/i386 system requires 4M of RAM and about 40M of disk space. For a full installation (including source and X11), at least 8M of RAM and 200M of disk space are recommended.
It's probably the most lightweight operating system that can run most modern linux targeting software.

who /nixos/ here?

Attached: nixos.png (635x514, 72K)

Right here

Attached: nixos.png (610x224, 8K)

Attached: 1523079017975.jpg (1752x1690, 217K)

0/10

There's one retard who seems to spend about 12 hours a day spouting a fantasy about Alpine being 'anti-GNU Linux'. It isn't, just bash+coreutils and glibc don't fit the profile they want for their minimal install.

I see you browse r/linux.

Attached: 1492389053726.jpg (419x480, 52K)

>(((Systemd)))

>minimalism thread
>complex OP

just choose win7 you nerds lololol

OP here, please fist me and feed me purple dildos, I love it, you fucking normies

heh, stay salty

>4k packages
2.7k packages

fucking hell

pic related is a 9/10

Attached: cuck.png (1920x1080, 317K)

>2734 is 2.7k
>4979 gets rounded to 4
I think your brain is minimalistic

>fisting
>dildos
OwO!!

choke on ur mac coffee faggot
die die

You’re such a meanie, mister..

Attached: 0FBDCE2E-375E-49DC-B31D-94796F267C73.jpg (480x480, 39K)

It counts unused packages that need to be garbage collected too. Upgrading and garbage collection are two different steps and sometimes nixos users put it off so they keep old generations around in case they want to rollback.
It'd be like doing an upgrade on your machine where none of the old libraries or software is removed and each version counts as a separate package.

Is there any way to reliably access this using tools on linux just to try it out first?
A while back I tried connecting using tools I can't remember now (things like diod and 9fs I think) but couldn't really get it.

Plan 9 is retarded

That isn't true in my case though.
Pretty sure it package count jumped like 2000 because of texlive-full
Whereas in a distro like arch, texlive-full would be 1-3 packages max, I'm pretty sure nix considers each additional LaTeX macro as a completely new package

Explain.

Yeah neofetch needs to rethink how they count packages on nixos. I think all it does right now is list the number of directories in /nix/store

u use it and explain

no u

They built an operating system that had no backwards compatibility for any software written before it and expected for it to be a success.

It doesn't really matter, we can be more minimal than everyone else WITH more packges ;)

gas the nixos users

Arch Linux and Openbox, the prefect combo

nixos user here. I don't think I would call it "minimal" but it depends on your definition.

Some people might consider it bloat instead. Although in my opinion you can't really be a true fan of computers and programming without also finding the concept of declarative package management to be really cool. Although that still might not excuse it as bloat for some people, for me it does.
It's too elegant and satisfies my autism way too much to not be acceptable levels of bloat.

I still would prefer guixsd though. I really hate that nixos uses systemd right now. Nix of course would make it really easy to have and maintain a non-systemd option, but at the moment it just doesn't seem like anyone's putting in the work to get there.

i've been getting into fucker of trouble with AMDGPU or ati, linux is such a clusterfuck, better than windows still a clusterfuck

arch linux and dwm is the best

>dwm
No. I don't want to f*cking recompile the damn thing every time I reconfigure it.

>recompile the damn thing every time I reconfigure it.

takes 2 seconds. also im on debian so it's in the repos. i like vanilla dwm, it's comfy

How often do you reconfigure it?
And I think there was a patch where it would it read the config from X resources.

daily reminder that there's are only 2 top wm's

Attached: chart.png (700x2000, 173K)

i3 is shit.
manual tiling sucks

>not including bspwm
what are you even doing with your life? t. i3fag

>bspwm
more like bloatspwm
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

backwards compatibility is bloat
besides, it's a research OS and for that it has been a relative success

>at the moment it just doesn't seem like anyone's putting in the work to get there
you know you could start working on that and getting people interested

another issue i have with nixos is the config. do i really have to learn yet another config syntax to manage my system and its programs?

OP here, I got really sore and had to ask the ER for help, maybe getting 3 dildos at once in my asshole wasn't the right choice, it wasn't even minimal
Guess I'll try choking on one to recover now and spend some time on omegle while self-fisting

If you want something above simply looking from month + [29-31], try calcurse.

forgot scrot.

Attached: 2018-04-09-000720_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 24K)

There's drawterm, which has a manual page now!
drawterm.9front.org/

If you're using stock labs plan 9 there's srv(1) and a handful of other programs in plan9port that let you jack into plan 9 boxes. 9front has since secured their connections and can't be accessed from unix outside of drawterm. Patches are a work in progress.

github.com/9fans/plan9port

There's APE. Not sure what exactly you're on about here. All software gets ported to a platform other than the one it was written on if you want to use it on a new platform.

Why not DOS failed at backwards compatibility with UNIX v6? You probably boot Windows at home or at work, you either installed a compatibility layer (APE on 9) or you port the software. This is a non-argument.

It probably takes less time to recompile than to crawl through settings and restart services. I think you'll survive. Not like you're being asked to recompile gcc.

>calcurse.org/
why isn't this site https
DROPPED

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros

>Most minimal
LFS
>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS
>Hipster minimal
Crux, Void, FreeBSD, GuixSD,
Source Mage
>Autistic/sane minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD
>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.