Time to retire x264

Time to retire x264
tomshardware.com/news/av1-video-codec-released-aom,36771.html

Attached: IMG_20180407_140033.jpg (450x227, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/12572/the-intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Call me when every device on the planet has hardware decoders for your flavor of the month trash, until then x264 isn't giving going anywhere.

>flavor of the month trash
What even lead you to this trump tier meme opinion? Even CableLabs is a member of AOM. This is a big deal. The chips will be EVERYWHERE.

I'll believe it when I see it.

H264 saturation isn't even as much as people believe.

Wutg
With power horses like A 11 even software decoder should be nice enough. Fucking mass consumed YouTube won't switch like they actually do have v9 acceleration hardware but thing like Netflix x265 will. Anyways, the point I was thinking of making was make x264 obselete over at torrent/piracy

People still use fucking xvid, x264 ain't going anywhere

It won't unless they get a usable encoder. Nobody's going to spend 6 months encoding a single movie to save a few megs.

It's better though and I have integrity enough to not watch movies on my phone.. Can't say about TVs though.

Ouf, good point

but you get to buy a new pc to watch the same shit you already watched just with a new codec mang
you gotta buy more stuff or else the chinese win

Are you unironically retarded? AV1 is the first codec that has a real chance of freeing us from MPEG's tyranny.

>software decoder
>What is battery life?

Attached: 18(12).jpg (600x343, 48K)

>H264 saturation isn't even as much as people believe.
H.264 is quite literally everywhere. Everything uses it, unless it's some ancient tech like DVDs.

DVDs don't use H.264.

Hardware decoders are coming very soon...
Have some fucking patience, it's only just been finalized!

Read my post again, without smoking anything this time.

Attached: 1464183983787.jpg (250x241, 7K)

Yeah, I realized I was a fucking retard the second I hit post.

Absolutely nobody uses ASP anymore, or indeed anything that goes in AVI.

You're probably downloading really old releases...

>Hardware decoders are coming very soon...
which won't make them rips and remuxes with x264 look any better but hey you gotta do what you gotta do
buy more stuff

>very soon
2020 at the earliest

dumb frogposter

2020 is less than 2 years away, user.

I don't get what you're babbling about... nobody is going to re-encode H.264 shit, they're gonna go back to the source and use AV1 from the start.

What was dumb about my post?

>What was dumb about my post?
The poster.

Even if that were true, I asked what not who.

Nvidia and Intel will have AV1 hardware decoders up to 8K

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES meanwhile still have no VP9 hardware decoder

anandtech.com/show/12572/the-intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked

>The Vega GPU can't decode VP9 Profile 2 - so no YouTube HDR support - and more importantly it doesn't support the Protected Audio Video Path technology required for UHD Blu-ray playback. The latter unfortunately came as a bit of a surprise to even some at Intel, as the company was claiming as recently as CES 2018 that the Hades Canyon platform would support UHD Blu-ray playback.

>no VP9 hardware decoder
shame if true
>doesn't support the Protected Audio Video Path
good
digital restrictions management should be opposed at every possible point