Alternatives to LineageOS

Now that LineageOS completely fucked up their reputation as a stable, dependable OS, which custom non-botnet rom does Jow Forums recommend?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2018/04/05/dont-freak-lineageos-bad-late-april-fools-joke-latest-builds/
review.lineageos.org/#/q/loscoins
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lineage OS microg

All android variations are botnet.

none, i dont' want to trip knox

>Now that LineageOS completely fucked up their reputation as a stable
Care to explain?

What is wrong with it? I have it on my Nexus 4 and it works perfectly.

Horse racing

>Horse racing
What is this supposed to mean?

quick search shows this
androidpolice.com/2018/04/05/dont-freak-lineageos-bad-late-april-fools-joke-latest-builds/

>Now that LineageOS completely fucked up their reputation as a stable, dependable OS
They didn't. Stop making up drama.

They thought it's funny to have an April fools prank that permanently shows a non-swipe-able message warning the user he might be running unlicensed/insecure software, also installing a pseudo-"crypto-coin wallet".

For my phone, the build arrived today, not exactly making it an April fools joke, not that this would have belong on the fucking operating system level anyway.

I can now either mess around in recovery mode disabling the message, or wait a week for the next build, if the build is ready next week. If not, it's two weeks, three weeks?

So now I'm thinking, if these über-autists think it's fun to go into airplane mode randomly with "the halloween-build", i.e. all builds weeks prior and past halloween?

I can't have that. I have to have my phone working and not be subject to "pranks". I can deal with not having all the apps that are only available through the Google Play store, but not being able to depend on the operating system itself is a deal breaker to me.

Dirty Unicorns, Resurrection Remix, AICP, AOKP, whatever other ROM for your phone that doesn't have gapps dependency.

What level of trustworthiness one requires is subjective. For me, LineageOS is unusable at this point. It's a joke-operating system, to have fun on old devices you don't need anyway, but not for production phoness

Get over it you drama queen.

Look, if you want a joke-os, fine. You're probably unemployed anyway, so you can't miss any important calls anyway, no employees are going to be confused by stupid messages and so on.

But not everybody is a leech on society like you.

Flash the presious version.

If I have to second guess the upgrade process, then there is no upgrade process.

The "joke" didn't have any fucking impact on the functionality of the phone you stupid fucking nigger. So you wouldn't have missed shit.

I agree it was a dumb joke fucking with the OS. But you're being a fucking drama queen.

Imagine being so triggered over an April's fool joke

Dude, you're thinking of replacing a OS because of a April 1 joke.

Second guess? This is such a obvious and easy thing to do. Chances are you still have the previous version downloaded.

It's only this one build. Normally Nightlies could break everything. When stable versions release stick with those.

Fork it and fuck up.

I haven't updated my phone this week so I missed that, I agree with you that this was very fucking unprofessional.
The commits were also merged on April 2 and reverted on April 6.
What a bunch of fucking faggots.
review.lineageos.org/#/q/loscoins

>people fine with randoms playing practical jokes on your phone

Well that's gay, hope whoever approved it gets kicked out of the project

>For me, LineageOS is unusable
for u
thankfully not all people are autists
/thread

>The "joke" didn't have any fucking impact on the functionality of the phone you stupid fucking nigger. So you wouldn't have missed shit.

The "joke" shows, that they don't care, or are unable to care about (probably due to autism) about the trustworthiness and reputation of the LineageOS project.

What degree of interference with the operating system must I expect?

If the answer is anything above zero, then you fucked up. Because now it's only a matter of _subjective_ taste, what prank awaits next year, or Halloween,... Will it be "only annoying"? I don't know that, you don't know that.

It's a fine joke-operating system, maybe for some DIY projects with old android phones you've got laying around. But I won't have it on a device I actually need any longer.

>I feel people are being way too harsh here. You're all complaining about a totally free bit of software that hard working devs have laboured for many hours over, through passion for the Android community alone. You understand and accept there's risks when downloading and flashing the software.

top kek

can you believe there are people who think like this

April Fools jokes shouldn't be a thing at all. Especially not ones that make you think you got a malware infection.

unfortunately there isn't really another good option unless and until those Purism people get the Librem phone out the door, which won't be this year.

Then you're a fucking spastic and should fuck off and use Android or iOS. Fucking whinging fanny.

They probably are 15 years old faggots.
Android ROM scene is fucking worse than reddit and that says it all really.
The issue here is that while being complete utter shit Lineageos is still the best ROM by far.

Autists like you are the reason, why projects like LineageOS never have any real success.

You're the one whinging like a bitch about a fucking April fools prank.

If you don't like it, fork it and fuck up. Otherwise shut your fucking hole and deal with it.

>brag about custom roms
>literally inject anything they want onto your phone
>message still there even after root access disabling it

lmao free as

>OP's thread is literally made to find alternatives
>GO USE AN ALTERNATIVE U FUCKING SPASTIC

the absolute state

>If you don't like it, fork it and fuck up.

This is not you get a broader user base. But you can't understand that, because your income isn't dependent on happy customers. Welfare is payed out, even if you're an anti-social, unemphatic asshole.

lmao check ur fuckin blood pressure nerd

Nobody cares your stumblebum.

>Have a retarded tradition of (unfunny, seriously, I've never encountered a single funny one) "pranks" on april 1, which are both unfunny (grade-school humor, along the lines of "HURRR DURRR I TROLL U U MAD????") and tiresomely predictable (since it's always on april 1)

Why are Americans perpetual children? No other country in the world has this stupid "tradition".

Can I still play FGO and other games if I install Lineage OS?

lmao this

cool your beans you mad cunt

Fucking SJW nerd... We won't be able to have fun anymore asshole.

April 1st would be cool if people were actually funny. But a lot of people overestimate how funny they are.

>April Fool's day
>American

Obsessed

Hey geniuses, how about not flashing the build from April 1st, as LineageOS developers have been known to do this before? You know, as there isn't an obligation to do so, nor are the updates automatic. But wait, then you wouldn't have something to complain about.

Good idea. Train your userbase to second guess upgrades. Great way to make sure vulnerabilities aren't patched you're creating the Windows 95 of Android.

There isn't anything to second guess, a minute of research would confirm the practice which you're in no way obligated to participate in. Also, security updates aren't released every week.

>There isn't anything to second guess

> a minute of research

Starfish level IQ right there.

Here's how you want users to behave: "Oh, an upgrade. I'll make it right away. *click*" This is extraordinarily difficult to achieve. Microsoft has to practically force its users to do upgrades.

You do not want to screw with this, if you're developing an operating system. Unless, it's only meant as a joke anyway, which LineageOS apparently is.

Too many pajeets

>security updates aren't released every week.
Not to mention that you are still not in any way forced to update on any custom ROMs. I'm also fairly certain the user base which is capable of installing custom ROMs doesn't click wherever and wonder just what went wrong.

HAHAHAHA APRIL FOOLS NIGGER

It wasn't released on April first

Okay, you are simply incapable of understanding software development and how to bring your product to market. It's alright. Hint: don't make your users lives harder on purpose.

If you want to stay with the Jow Forums demographic forever, then we're at one of my initial points: LineageOS is a nice joke-OS, but not for serious stuff.

No one's saying they were forced to upgrade, but doing shit like this does make you lose some trust in the OS. I never google my Linux updates because they almost always work fine or a small component breaks. If Red Hat started making April's Fools jokes like these, I'd start googling the updates and that's not something you want to instill in your users. Which is the reason I reserve macOS upgrades for days where I have little to do at work: they almost always break something.

The only particularly annoying thing about this whole thing is that now i'll have that "Davy Jones' locker" message stuck on my tray until the next build comes out. sure, april fools, haha, okay can i have my phone back to normal now please? next time you do this shit at least have the courtesy to allow removing it without reflashing your whole system, which is what you'd be forced to do if your phone actually did get this kind of malware.

i think it's good to be reminded that something like this could and probably does happen for real. ultimately you're at the developers' mercy, hoping they provide you with software that doesn't fuck you over. it's a matter of whether you trust the devs enough to be using their software in the first place. Lineage devs just reminded their users (though not in the most elegant way) that their "joke" could easily be a real thing.

wow odd nothing like this happened on my iphone on april fools

get what you pay for, scrubs

how fucking stupid do you have to be to make your own projects look worse than they are?

imagine flashing this for somebody else, that person updates as regular and gets thrown a "you got ripped off lol" in his or her face. what do you think will happen next?

this has to be one of the stupidest things somebody has done to themselves, ever

Imagine if Debian started making squeaky clown noises every time you launched something from the terminal as an April fools joke. I bet the retarded redditors in here would still be like
>hurrr stop being dramatic can't you have fun btw I'm 12 how do I post an image?
It's un-fucking believable that anyone would think and OS level prank is acceptable on device you use professionally. The only reason people aren't moving in droves to another distro is that there isn't one on android.

>neighbor rakes leaves for you
>for free
>you appreciate it
>one day takes a shit on your doorstep
>just an april fools prank bro
>you shoulda known

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

I use Nitrogen OS because it was the best Oreo ROM for my rn3p when I wanted to switch to Oreo.

This. This thread is full of soyboys who never do anything actually productive with their devices and think getting mad at useless pranks is SJW tier. It's not.

It's not about the money. I couldn't care less about that. (not bragging) It's about running exclusively open source software, restoring/protecting privacy and security.

This is what disappoints me so much about this: you basically get the deal between the shit sandwich of being spied on by Apple/Google/three letter agencies and autistic children.

Hopefully one day something like the RHEL or the Debian of Android will come along.

>protecting privacy and security

HAHAHAH are you kidding me

did you not just see what they did

>non removable notification pushed to all phones that can't be turned off even using a root manager

>HAHAHAH are you kidding me
>did you not just see what they did
>>non removable notification pushed to all phones that can't be turned off even using a root manager

Exactly. That's why it's so disappointing. When you thought there's an alternative to the botnet, but there isn't.

I just read that one year they permenantly changed everyone's ringtone to the sound of a goat (probably the sound of one getting fucked in the ass).
>hey guys I'm late for the meetin-
>baaahhh gyaaaa eeeyooooo
>oh sh-shit sorry that's ringtone on my super secure open source version of android that I use to avoid Google.
>It becomes unusable in a professional setting once a year as a prank...
>don't worry though the social shame it puts me through once a year is totally better than having to deal with Google or Apple

>production phoness
I wonder what level of autism is needed to take something so seriously.

My crDroid doesn't have that problem. It's from December, since I don't enjoy LARPing as a beta tester for pajeets that make it.

>I wonder what having a Job and Life is like?
The same people telling people to lighten up are the same NEETs who recommend this crap after you point out android is a botnet
>whatdya mean you can't use android without google I use lineage OS
ok but I work in a professional setting is lineage OS suitable?
>it's free and open source retard of course
hey it seems to tell me I had a virus as a prank wtf is this shit software I almost got in big trouble waiting time at work trying to fix this
>ahahahaha the OS pranked you !!!!
>imagine taking a FOSS operating system seriously LOL use google

How the fuck didn't users know about this, there was a FUCKING LOSCOIN FOLDER IN THE VENDOR FOLDER OF LINEAGE

April fools jokes should be illegal for tech companies due to how cringy and soy they are. Fucking faggots. I hope people sue and the soyboys responsible get fired.

>instead of letting your phone run the weekly update as usual and getting on with your life YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN READING THE RELEASE NOTES AND CHECKING VENDOR FOLDERS AND FOLLOWING DEVS ON REDDIT AND IRC LMAO

April fools jokes are never funny. They are Reddit tier soy-fed faggotry and should be illegal due to how gay they are. The same way homosexuality should be illegal.

reddit ones were trash

went to 1 and they just made the page upside down...for the whole fucking day

This wholeheartedly. If Microsoft or any self-respecting Linux distro avoid pulling April Fool's pranks on people's machines then why can't LineageOS try to do the same?

>imagine flashing this for somebody else, that person updates as regular and gets thrown a "you got ripped off lol" in his or her face. what do you think will happen next?

Exactly. I can't recommend, much less install, this with a good conscience now.

This is exactly on point.

Although I literally lol'ed at this, it's also sad and hurts the reputation of open source and security/privacy conscience as a whole.

It's a joke on the word "stable".

why do people update their phones? i've never updated mine and it's been running without problems so far

>LineageOS is a nice joke-OS, but not for serious stuff.
We heard you the first time. You still haven't made a cognizant point.

Non-Joke-OS:

Although I understand there are always risks with running software, especially software that's in active development, I can trust that the developers do their best to uphold the quality and security of the OS and don't misuse this trust and power. They are beholden to an OBJECTIVE standard of minimizing risk and intrusion. Because of that, I can rely that any unforeseen behavior, security warnings and other out of order occurrences are unintended and trying to get rid of them is not a waste of time and resources.

Joke-OS:

What happens to the OS is subjected to the SUBJECTIVE taste in what's funny. Security warnings lose their meaning, because they were used to play prank on people. Whenever the system behaves in an unexpected way, I'm potentially wasting my time and money researching it, because it might actually be intentionally put in by the developers.

Can you see the difference? If not, then probably because you have no understanding of what it means to waste time and money, because as an unemployed NEED, you've more time on your hands than anyone could ever wish to waste and no money anyways.

>trying to reason with 15 year old redditor who thinks installing a different OS on his phone is like putting spinning rims on a car
You're wasting your time user

>I'm also fairly certain the user base which is capable of installing custom ROMs doesn't click wherever and wonder just what went wrong.
Why didn't you comment on this? Because it wouldn't have spawned walls of unnecessary text?

I'm sure you two will also reveal to us where I'm from, my name as well as my date of birth.

Everything has already been asked and answered.

If you're fine with your project only feeding into the Jow Forums-demographic, that's also totally fine.

But guess what that means? Joke-OS.

>no one pointing out the reddit spacing
Sage and hide boys.

I don't get the point of flashing custom roms
just stop being a fucking sperg and use the shit the phone came with
in any case phones are not useful for anything else than calls and messages, taking pics, and shitty web browsing

>If you're fine with your project only feeding into the Jow Forums-demographic, that's also totally fine.
Whatever that classification might be, do you honestly believe majority of Android users even know what custom ROMs and would attempt to install one? What would your solution be?

While I appreciate where you're coming from, most phones come with bloat, using a custom rom and slim your phone down by quite a bit. Removing twitter, instagram, facebook etc.

This ain't for everyone, but I'd say for the peeps of Jow Forums, it should be standard.

you can remove bloat with titanium backup without having a kernel compiled by some random pajeet

Just installed the 20180604 update and now i get a permanent notification saying "Ye be on the way to Davy Jones' locker, me hearties"
how do i get rid of it?

there's also a new Wallet app, it appears to be some sort of new shitcoin that i definitely don't want on my phone

Here's the analogy with Linux on the desktop:

I've been using it for the last 16+ years, since kernel 2.4. It was a PITA and I only very rarely installed it on non-techy (non-Jow Forums-demographic) peoples machines, if they asked me for help. Because after an upgrade, some important things probably got fucked up and it takes a few hours to repair them again.

Now we're at a point, especially with Linuxmint, where I can install Linux on any old laptop of friends and relatives and it works 100% out of the box. Upgrades don't break stuff and the support is so long, that the laptop physically breaks before it runs out.

Now back to LineageOS: We're in the early days. Only enthusiasts are going to bother with it. But, I might want to put it onto my moms old phone.

But now I won't. Because on top of all the crap that breaks anyway, I also have to deal with the pranks of soy-boy man-children.

And to be honest, even when you're an enthusiast (Jow Forums-demographic), why does that justify receiving an intentionally shittier version of the software? I don't quite see that. We're not talking about super-experimental features, where you as a user are on the fore-front of development, feeding back information to weed out bugs. It's simply annoying as fuck.

iOS.

>sue
foss don't have warranties

Imagine if Apple did something like this.

Apples pricing is the prank itself

I know right, paying the same amount of money as a flagship Android phone for software that lasts~5 years.
What a joke! everyone knows software only lasts 2 weeks at most!!!

it either this, the very outdated 5.0.1 official rom, or several "you tell me :)"-tier roms
lineage may have proven to not be completely serious, but they're still the most serious option available

ok kid

I know right, spending hours every day making sure your phone is actually working is an Adult responsibility!