/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=_CxYEOpWchY

>Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=2rr1ohi76TU

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: greatest watches on the planet.jpg (1200x795, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fdfpyPPR4Q8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: really really nice black bay.jpg (450x600, 57K)

>tfw worshipping my lord and savior
Jesus Christ

Just giving up my character flaws to my higher power

Attached: F197D801-B2CB-494E-B390-E1051CD85307.jpg (4032x3024, 2.38M)

Thoughts on my bro's watch?

Attached: daydate.jpg (2576x3006, 832K)

so we're just letting the tudor guy win?

Xth for CASIO GANG

Attached: haute_horology.jpg (5575x3717, 3.99M)

KEK
Don't those people mind you take pics of your watch?

Nah

>gold watches
Based fucking niggers.

>tfw turtle saturday

Attached: DSC_0011b.jpg (1000x1500, 344K)

Tfw you are feeling the most warm and comfortable possible, you slowly open yours eyes and look upon him.
You are in his care.
"Is it time to wake up yet?" -You ask.
"No, you still have time" - He responds
You are falling back to a gentle sleep, feeling relaxed.
Suddenly he alarms you and asks:
"How do you know the crown is screwed all the way in?"
In this moment you realize it was him all a long.
Windyknob.
You rest on his strong wide arms while looking at the timepiece on his wrist.
You notice a peculiar red line on his timepiece, you see the meaning of it.
You start falling back asleep, he kisses you on your forehead.
"Rest well my nubile 19 year old girlfriend".
You are at peace.

youtube.com/watch?v=fdfpyPPR4Q8
Thoughts on the tgv intro on this vid?

Attached: tgvtgv.jpg (800x800, 218K)

What's up with that date wheel?

>tfw to intelligent to buy solar watches

Attached: 1484093104729.png (1200x1731, 170K)

Nice bro, I’ll read this to her , thanks

^_^

Attached: 91E84374-F798-4323-875B-E24F0A31055F.jpg (4032x3024, 2.65M)

>tfw to intelligent to buy genuine watches

Attached: brain.jpg (640x1039, 180K)

tfw no dual wielding watches gf

does /wt/ like glashutte original?

Attached: gDrE1jt.jpg (2560x1920, 303K)

How long until the shitposting phase stops?

>phase

Perfect collection

Attached: 1522934752965.jpg (1169x545, 141K)

Glashütte is german for cuck shed.

Not really. They're nice enough, but they don't have anything very interesting about them.

I would agree but I'd switch the Datejust for an Explorer.

Attached: Explorer.jpg (490x490, 37K)

Don't those three watches overlap too much? People usually choose a dress watch and a very casual watch at least.

Do you guys unanimously prefer the 36mm Explorer? I have the 36mm SNK809 and just feel it's so small.

Attached: seiko-5-black-dial-black-canvas-automatic-men_s-watch-snk809_6.jpg (900x900, 120K)

This JLC is my perfect everyday watch.

Attached: JLC MAster DAte.jpg (1200x800, 115K)

PANOMATICLUNAR PANAROMADATUM MONDPHASE

This and
This

Whats the minimum I can spend on a stainless Milanese strap without it rusting to shit?
Any recommendations?

They've always struck me as being the Tudor of Lange. I know they're not, but their design lines are too similar and yet the quality just isn't good enough. I hate how their proportions are off, all the time, as if you had a French watchmaker try to make a Lange based only on your memory of seeing one 10 years ago.

Attached: Real-world.jpg (225x300, 11K)

overlaping means you know the style you like. and they all fit fine in both casual and formal.

Attached: swatch_mutt.png (998x560, 501K)

I like the silver cuck ring.

Wouldn't you get bored though?

Attached: Cosmo 1962 interior.jpg (2670x1780, 487K)

i have the same snk, and i cant imagine a rolex so small. But ive never even seen one irl so

>Horology...

>The final frontier. These are the voyages of The Urban Gentry. Its continuing mission, to explore strange new watches. To seek out cool vintage pieces with pure class. To boldly go where no watch channel has gone before.

he's become self aware, i think

when will photographers have the common sense to set the date to the 3rd in these 3 o clock date function watches

it's like buying the same pair of shoes in 8 different colours though.

the whole point of a collection is that you can explore different options.

i wear 34 and 35 milimetre dress watches.

When i first got them, they felt small but 34mm feels like a perfect size at this point (i suppose wrist size has an effect on this, but i'm just below 7" so not extremely bitch-wristed)

Why would they do that? That could be an element of confusion.

well it rustles my autism

not privately owned. i'm not buying haute horlogerie from someone who's under the cuck umbrella

But what if you're an autist who only likes very few, very specific styles of watches though? Because I pretty much only like functional tool watch designs, 1960s style dress watches, and angular steel sports watches, and in the later two genres strongly prefer angular baton indices and dauphine hands or index/stick/baton hands.

Pic very related.

Attached: 16200_SBGW253_376-0822.jpg (1888x1830, 3.3M)

So who are you buying from?

I can't tell the difference between a fake tudor and a real one

Don't tell me what to do.

Attached: 1474455211991.jpg (800x1200, 89K)

No one can, user.

Attached: ADJUSTED.jpg (1298x974, 213K)

Is your gf actually into watches?

so no Lange or VC either, then, right?

I'm absolutely in love with this 18 carat, rose gold tone Casio Ana-Digi timepiece purchased from the beautiful river of Amazon. Made with acrylic infused plastic that even my fingernail cant scratch, I've spoiled myself with this gorgeous timepiece. The quartz calibre has been crowned as the most successful watch movement ever produced, completely handmade by the most skilled watchmakers. It is also my very first day double time watch and it will be interesting to see if it becomes an important feature that Will depend on over time. I hope you all enjoy this watch as much as I do.

Attached: 123123123.jpg (853x1280, 284K)

i don't have any interest in either of those. if i was going to drop 10k+ on a piece i'd get a chronometre bleu

to THIS

Attached: 489126.jpg (569x913, 123K)

fair enough, it just doesn't make much sense to me, since my planned collection (degree student) ranges from 1930s gruens to 60s dress watches, to modern divers

not sure what point you're trying to make but moody bitch looks better in the first one

I have a snk and it probably sits on my first the most comfortably out of sports watches so yeah, I'd like a 36mm explorer.

Just did the first pass polish on my snk and it looks great. They should ship like this.

Attached: image.jpg (1481x1558, 1.97M)

Still a Seiko.

Still looks like shit.

You're still gay.

Walk me through your process.

>Is your gf actually into watches?
She’s into them enough I guess

Attached: 14AD2D35-8A26-4AF9-A9D2-7E8FD489E1B8.jpg (4032x3024, 3.14M)

I used my drill but a rotary tool is better (such as a Dremel). All you need is some polishing compound and a felt polisher bit.
I'm considering taking this further and replacing the dial and hands but that will need a hand remover, case back remover and preferably a crystal press so I can put in a sapphire crystal.

Attached: BB36 SNK809.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

Quick wrist check, feels great to be wearing more cash on my arm than most people on /wt/ make in six months.

Attached: damn.jpg (750x733, 73K)

OC

If it hits too close at home, it's time to find a better hobby.

Attached: watch_enthusiast.png (1920x1080, 1.57M)

Wew, only the natos.

> Most people on wt make less than 20k per year
Yeah, okay friend.

That's dog shit. Most people here are wristlets, not fatties.

Yes, they do. I bought this with only a week's pay.

You jealous, faggot?

You’re not wearing cash on your arm,you exchange your cash for shiny piece of jewelry

Just realised how scratched my crystal is on this watch. I've hardly worn it as well!

Do you seriously never get drunk? How tragic.

Attached: 1463408428206.jpg (604x603, 70K)

only natos and lack of quartz (just because i haven't bought the one i want yet)

If you have the money to spare for a watch of this calibre, then props to you. But in my case the thousands you spend on watches I spend on; misc home bills, fuelling and maintaining my car, university fees, groceries and a mortgage over the horizon

Is getting drunk cool or something?

If I get a Black Bay 36 instead of an Explorer am I just going to look like I couldn't afford an Explorer? I like the BB's looks more really, but it's also true that I can't afford an Explorer. :-)

Attached: 36blue.png (900x1200, 181K)

hardlex is the dogshit cousin of mineral glass, which is also fucking awful

if it's not acrylic or sapphire, then this is the reality

Why the fuck are you feeding transparently obvious bait (You)s?

Yeah, this was more aimed that a middle aged normie than a Jow Forums poster, most people here seem to have their shit together somewhat.

No, it's pleasurable provided you're not doing it daily.

the one in the image isn't even real

>Do you seriously never get drunk?
I seriously never get drunk

>anymore

Attached: 1522290642006.jpg (4032x3024, 2.4M)

I really like the BB36 and BB41. People here give it shit but I personally think it looks like a great tool watch and it's under £2000.
I feel like it's just dissimilar enough from the Explorer with the different hands and no numerals.

Attached: m79500-0001-fb1.png (900x1200, 214K)

You know how the saying goes, never trust a man that doesn't drink.

On a serious note, there are far better ways of not drinking/not drinking to excess than AA.

Attached: 1463453178503.png (974x715, 56K)

>On a serious note, there are far better ways of not drinking/not drinking to excess than AA.
like what

Christ almighty, this photo is the most depressing photo in existence.

Listen kid, don't try and give me life advice until you can afford a $8K watch like I can.

Sheer willpower, seeing as that's all AA is anyway with some psudo religious bullshit interspliced.

Attached: 35E8AAE6-DC10-4E78-8A05-B4EE0C3942D2.jpg (4032x3024, 3.92M)

Some people cannot "drink normally" and if they need to quit, the need to do whatever works for them

Replacing booze with fairy tails does not seems like a good trade to me.

>to me
As I said, they need to do whatever works for them

How do you like my NOMOS collection?

Who made you the total authority on these matters? I reject your stance.

>Sheer willpower, seeing as that's all AA is anyway with some psudo religious bullshit interspliced.
That never worked for me. I am an atheist and don't believe all that higher power bullshit but I go to meetings to remind myself not to drink and make friends who understand, it's the only place I know to go to make friends with people who want to stop drinking. Now I unironically have a dozen friends I could call any time of the day if I need to talk. If there were some atheist group in town with hundreds of people who attend who wanted to be sober buddies to me I would go there, but there's not. All my friends are cool and don't care about god at all

Yes

Attached: Nomos.png (800x1639, 1.55M)

On the topic of booze, I really wish people would stop buying me shit beer.

Attached: IMG_20180407_162207.jpg (3120x4160, 2.31M)

That's understandable, I rely on my friends for the same reason. If I stayed in 24/7, I'd be drinking myself to death out of sheer boredom. I can't stand AA though.

I also collect chips representing years I have not lived lived ha ha

Attached: F26D92DA-23AF-48F5-92B8-123CF549F6BF.jpg (4032x3024, 2.75M)

I am a sober alcoholic. I do not really like AA (at least the groups near me), but I understand that it's what some people need. I will definitely go with others to meetings if they need help, though

Attached: DSC_0005abc.jpg (1500x1000, 289K)