Why was this a thing?

Why was this a thing?

x2 cards and SLI/xfire where the dumbest shit ever

Attached: file.png (700x289, 260K)

Marketing. Was there ever a x4 slot card?

not that im aware

Crazy coolers thread?

I used to have one of these. 2.5 slot but still the fattest card I've owned.

Had to RMA it and got a 980ti instead. Want to upgrade but any upgrade is way too expensive right now. Thought about buying a used 980ti for SLI, dunno if my 850w psu would be enough. And SLI is shit anyways.

Attached: pressshot.jpg (506x300, 32K)

HAHAHAHAHHA

is that some sort of 290x2?

idk maybe get another 980ti yeah

gpu market is garbage right now

Pascall is 2 years old and Ampere will be shit same single core crap with higher clocks

Wait for MCM and hardware mining locks

AMD dumped vega so they will be fast tracking Navi, if it isnt more GCN shit it might be ok

>tfw had a 3-slot 680 for about four years
Shit was comfy, got replaced by a 1070 juuust before the prices spiked

Wat
R9 290
Powercolor PCS+ cooler
Loud as a motherfucker. But all flagship cards on air are these days.

Would be fun to try SLI and all, but nah. I'll wait for MCM like you said.

oh shit i had a 390x pcs+

fan controller dead so i put two 12cm case fans on it, quiet as good temps

Y'all need to get a job. I rock two 1080tis in SLI and never have a stutter. Try harder, social security income shitters.

Attached: 1318729895551.jpg (1050x1023, 263K)

>1080ti sli
Oh wow u wasted 2k + on gpu's to play weaboo games at 8k im so impressed
single 1080 oc here it runs stuff fine

>(sniffles) You're a weaboo gamar. Muh single-card solution)

Cry some more.

Attached: 1318724937889.jpg (604x452, 32K)

>Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC edition
>2x SLI
>the noise
>the power (performance)
>the power (draw)
I miss them.

x2 cards are fine and sensible, you posted an x3 card dumbass.. count the fucking brackets in the back.

Wtf are you on about w/ the x2 rants dumbass.... Modern mobos are spaced x2 for a reason. I have 3 x2 cards and 2 x1 cards on an ATX mobo. Lets see if you can do math retard.. and yes, I am using the max amount of PCIE lanes the mobo offers.. none are covered by the x2

the fuck you even need 1080ti sli for anyway?

if you legit are playing 4k good for you
i meant dual GPU cards like the amd x2 cards moron i always buy dual or triple slot cards

>or triple slot cards
buy a console instead gaymer fag.
Also, i like how you'll admit you buy triple slot meme cards but have a beef w/ dual die GPU boards.

Because dual die boards where retarded

Why do you think nvidia or AMD bothered making them for the past 6+ years?

Fucktard

Until MCM gpus come out and instantly date sli/dual cards theres no point wasting money investing in ancient pascal

>I rock two 1080tis in SLI and never have a stutter.
Probably because only like 3 games even work with SLI anymore

Attached: 1456895761419.jpg (900x810, 55K)

>buy a console instead gaymer fag.
That statement doesn't even make any sense. He clearly wants more than 30 FPS. Also there is nothing wrong with triple slot coolers. I for one like having a cool and quiet setup.

> Why do you think nvidia or AMD bothered making them for the past 6+ years?
What's the thread about then nostalgia fag?
It's where the performance was 6+ years ago.
> muh pure gaymen rig w/ one pci-e card.

Not him but why did crossfire and sli support get dumped?

Was it because it was too good?

eg two 1080tis will barely be slower than a 2080ti and last longer?

Fuck having to go through inspector manually
>6 years
>nostalgia
gtfo youngfag miner tard
> muh pure gaymen rig w/ one pci-e card.
Whats wrong with this exactly?
ive had 5+ boards over the years that have had sli/xfire support (b350 still has crossfire support) yet i have NEVER used it.

dual+ card support has always been patchy and now amd/nvidia have officially given up, it just didnt scale well and the performance increases where negligable as well as stupid power/perf

one card is enough... it's as simple as that.
1080ti and call it a day.
> Muh Freesync infinity Hz
> Muh 4k
> muh high fps is a meme.
Your brain literally blurs and obscures detail at high FPS

Nice. Wish my 980ti was quiet.
Just because people don't invest in computer hardware doesn't mean they're unemployed you autist.

It always puzzles me when gaymen talk about quiet. The only time the fans are spooled up is during gaming sessions. During which, when you either have headphones on or audio blaring, wtf do you hear in regards to fan noise? You don't hear shit. 'Quiet' is literally a fucking meme used by tards who want to spend extra money on cooling

>x2 cards and SLI/xfire where the dumbest shit ever
Spotted the underage.

Scan-Line Interleave was the best shit ever. Holy balls was 1024x768 nice compared to 800x600.

I play in 4k with my 980ti. 1080ti SLI is overkill for that as well except for maybe in one or two games.

>Your brain literally blurs and obscures detail at high FPS
What retarded shit. Games specifically use blur to stop you from having headache (also mask low FPS on consoles) because your brain won't blur a screen like it would when looking out the window of a moving car.

Attached: 1491793467424.jpg (600x600, 35K)

Well, games never scalated very well, DirectX up to 11 is a clusterfuck to deal with multi gpu and New APIs have multi gpu embeded alreadly so no need to that.

and usually if you get mid range SLI cards it will never perform as good as a single high end. And a high end SLI never is as good as the next gen high end single card. (980ti SLI vs 1080ti) so basically it never, ever, was viable in any way, cost, efficiency, heat. All it did is give you a fancy number on firestrike.

I don't use headphones to all games.
And I can hear the fans through them sometimes anyway.

My 6950 was completely quiet at 100% load. Those were the times.