Discuss emacs

Discuss emacs
What's the best and least intimidating way to learn it?

Attached: emacs-tag_cover_photo_cover_photo.png (1600x800, 646K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/eintr.html
youtube.com/channel/UCDEtZ7AKmwS0_GNJog01D2g/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

install spacemacs

>What's the best and least intimidating way to learn it?
open emacs. read the built in tutorial.
search on the net how to add repositories.
You are good to go.

>add repositories
packages*

C-x c -- Closes a document
C-x s -- Saves a document
C-x C-f -- Opens a document
C-x -- Switch buffer
C-x k -- Kill buffer
C-x 2/3 -- Split buffer horizontally/vertically
C-x 0 -- Single buffer mode
C-x h -- Highlight all

C-n -- Down one character (next line)
C-p -- Up one character (previous line)
C-f -- Forward one character
C-b -- Backward one character
M-f -- Forward one word
M-b -- Backward one word

C-v -- Down one buffer length
M-v -- Up one buffer length

C-e -- Go to end of line
C-a -- Go to front of line

C-space -- Start/stop highlighting
C-w -- Cut
M-w -- Copy
C-y -- Paste (yank)

C-g -- Quit buffer command

There, that's 99% of emacs. C-arrow keys also skips over words if your terminal supports it, which I use over the defaults.

this book is pretty gud. gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/eintr.html

also, you can rudimentary learn emacs, but if you understand the absolute basics of emacs lisp your understanding of emacs will jump substantially.

>install spacemacs
this

I gave emacs an honest try and I read Micky Petersen's Mastering Emacs book and that book only exposed how obsolete and deprecated the core of emacs is and how it needs to be rebuilt. Spacemacs fixes emacs while leaving the emacs core untouched. The way Spacemacs incorporates vim command mode is absolutely brilliant so you get the best of both vim and emacs.

Im sure emacs was an incredible design back in the days before graphical operating systems and so emacs turned the console into a graphical environment. But emacs just doesnt play well with modern graphical environments

The spacemacs "layers" trades away customizability, which is the whole point of emacs.

>The spacemacs "layers" trades away customizability, which is the whole point of emacs.
exactly wrong, trying to customize emacs can only be done by rewriting emacs lisp code that is built into emacs which is why almost no one except for the wizards ever tries to customize emacs at anywhere near the same level as vim, Spacemacs fixes all that and makes emacs as customizeable as vim

Emacs lisp s a lot saner than vimscripts.
I write elisp to configure stuff and it is no wizardry. Also emacs comes with a package manager, and there are other better starter packs instead of spacemacs.

if he reads eintr he will be able to edit his configs by the end for sure.

typical patronizing discourse that you would expect from any emacs user:

>Emacs lisp s a lot saner than vimscripts.
which isnt saying much, anything is better than vimscripts

>I write elisp to configure stuff and it is no wizardry.
typical emacs user 'advice'

>Also emacs comes with a package manager
wonders never cease

>and there are other better starter packs instead of spacemacs.
emacs users can never change, they can never see anything better, they are lemming mentality at its worst

>which is why almost no one except for the wizards ever tries to customize emacs at anywhere near the same level as vim
say what? nigga, have you even seen the emacs package repositories out there? Emacs has been getting heavily customized since fucking forever. And every single vim plugin developer had always bitched about vimscript and praised emacs for it's use of lisp (vim people usually just dislike it's keybindings and kitchen-sink approach).

Attached: serveimage (49).jpg (508x592, 24K)

Who team /ivy/ here?

>actual lemming mentality at its worst

What are you doing in this thread?
Go fire up vscode and let it hog all your resources.

>Go fire up vscode and let it hog all your resources.
look whos talking
E.M.A.C.S.
Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping
(said back when 1mb RAM was considered a lot of RAM)

>Spacemacs fixes emacs
But Spacemacs is just a configuration for Emacs. You can just install regular Emacs, download a bunch of packages, set up the config file and have exactly the same thing. I'm not sure if it actually makes it easier to get into Emacs because you have like a bazillion of packages out of the box and you have no idea how to use any of them.

I dare to disagree.

C-h -- help
M-x -- execute command
M-: -- execute ELisp code
M-x apropos -- search for stuff
C-g -- cancel (command)

This is 99% of Emacs.

Don't install any emacs distribution such as spacemacs/prelude/doom. Build your own.

>What's the best and least intimidating way to learn it?
...just start using it and google any things you can't figure out.

Ivy is one of the best Emacs packages, alongside magit. When I remember how I used to use git in the console, I feel shame. I laugh at people who run git from console now.

Stuff like Helm and Ivy scare me. I installed Helm about a year ago and still have no idea what it's capable of.

IMO ivy is better than helm. It's more elegant.

Double this. I use it every day now.

Do you want to learn emacs or learn to use emacs? I'd recommend the latter, unless you're really into lisp and actually want to write your own modules.
Spacemacs or DOOM emacs are both really good ways to get started. I basically use emacs like vim with an actual wrapper of functionality around it. Vim has a lot going for it, and it's still my go-to for quick edits and server work, but anyone who's actually used emacs for anything bigger (and not in a "lol ironic it's so shit compared to vim" way) will know what I mean. Evil mode is objectively better than default emacs editing bindings, so make sure you install that (it's included in both Spacemacs and DOOM emacs). Both Spacemacs and DOOM are -leader bound, which is a really nice way of approaching and binding what would normally be a mess of M-x commands, so I'd also highly recommend trying it out for a bit. For example, instead of C-x b to switch buffer (which is a clunky keybind, try it), you use b b. All the other buffer actions are located in b.
I used Spacemacs for a long time, and while I have to give it credit for popularizing their particular map of leader, it's also a very large starter. So large that I swapped to DOOM, which is a bit truer to the emacs spirit, imo, and significantly lighter (and faster). There used to be (still is?) as Spacemacs minimal edition, but you have to know what you're doing to restore the parts of the functionality that it strips out if you still want them.

Attached: file.png (638x162, 31K)

Still a beginner myself, but I pick one little dumbass chore at a time in my workflow and replace Emacs in that task. Example: One thing I often need to do is rename a pdf I’ve scanned to some folder, so I use emacs to change the file name. It’s a stupid little task, but to do it, you learn several little commands and reinforce your muscle memory of routine commands. It’s inefficient as hell at first, but does get faster and easier. M-x dired was my starting point; it let’s you poke around directories and move, change file names, etc.

can emacs lisp be my first language ever

Yeah, and honestly it's not a bad choice for learning programming (considering people learned BASIC as their first). Having a persistent malleable environment to play around in is pretty nice for learning.

It's more of a DSL, not for general purpose (inb4 huhu emacs is an OS)

Yeah, why not? I wrote a podcast manager in it last week.

Just be aware that you can't run your program outside Emacs though.

Utter brainlet asking seriously:
a) What is a buffer?
b) What is an editing mode?

A buffer is a container for your document (think of it like an open tab in Notepad++). An editing mode is a specific mode for editing a particular type of file that might do things like syntax highlighting, etc.

Think of a buffer like a tab in a web browser. It's a workspace containing a specific file or program you are working on. Modes change the way a buffer behaves, for example you use Python mode to get python-specific syntax highlighting and other features that make editing and evaluating python code easier. A buffer can only have one major mode, but many minor modes (which affect behaviors such as auto completion that are generally not task-specific)

too much effort. i'd rather use vs code

a.) A big region of memory. Sometimes they contain a file, sometimes a directory. You can think of buffers as emacs' way of referring to everything file-like in a uniform manner.
b.) Just to add on :
An editing mode is composed of
- one major-mode, and
- multiple minor-modes.
The major-mode is like a specific "application" of emacs.
Some example major-modes include
- eww (web browsing)
- org-mode (personal organisation)
- dired (directory browsing)
- normal (just regular text editing)
- lisp (text editing with lisp syntax highlighting)
The minor-modes are sort of like plugins, they do nifty things like autosave or brace expansion. They're not as important for beginners until you really wanna trick your emacs out.

K Bye

I want to make emacs my oS!!!!!!

I already have. I'm using EXWM (Emacs as a Window Manager) on top of Slackware. I never leave it

I'm trapped on windows machine and it's a mess .
I want to learn to program. I want to never leave emacs.

Download a Linux based livecd and reboot into that, or install vmware and install a linux based virtual machine and play around.

i downloaded windows for emacs is that not good?

>windows for emacs
M-x windows-nt-mode?

It's fine, though you'll find some issues particularly with spaces in filenames and things like that.

is there a good tutorial for learning emacs lisp for complete dummies like me?
I really am genuine that I want to extend emacs lisp to cover all my use cases on windows.

how do i do things? how do i push it in

Help! How do I open a interpreter or compiler of emacs lisp using emacs! oh man my dad!

Isn't spacemacs bloated though? How customizable is it? Sorry I'm a brainlet.

Attached: 1521789022135.jpg (720x736, 32K)

just use it for editing text. straight up begin typing text documents in it. when you need to learn something, (copy and paste, page up/down, centering text based on cursor) look it up.

I use it as my text editor and for programming, don't give a shit about emacs lisp or any of the packages or customizability, as long as it highlights syntax I'm good

It's much more comfy even for quick edits than vim because I don't have to break my wrist to press Esc if I want to save and exit, also far easier to open multiple files in a single terminal window than using tmux or whatever

Honestly, besides bloat, there's objectively no reason to pick vim over emacs

why don't you just use a normal editor like notepad++ or whatever?

Its a text editor. If you can't figure it out you should kill yourself and donate your organs to other people that could use them.

You need to add repositories for all but MELPA

You are embarking down an arduous road. You can (probably) make it work, but it won't be easy.

If you're on windows get emacs-w64, it has fixes that you'll need. Also, don't use someone elses config. Start with vanilla and add from there.

C-u C-h i eintr

should I choose emacs or vim?

Do you just want to edit some text files? Vim has you covered. Do you want to have a massively adaptable workspace with possibilities as wide as your imagination? Emacs has you covered.

emacs it is then

I will point out that it relies heavily on YOUR imagination. Part of the reason I only use it for personal stuff is that it's hard to grok.

First of all, you should do the included tutorial.
You should NOT install spacemacs or another pre-made complete config package.

Follow some other "emacs config" tutorial to build a basic configuration, that should give you enough introduction into how to configure emacs to be able to build your own personal config on top of that. (I recommend "uncle dave" on yidtube)

Also, you shouldn't put all kinds of shit into your config that you might or might not possibly need one day. Only put in what you actually need, when you need it (or when you know for certain that you'll need it at some point).

As for evil mode, I don't think you should immediately install evil mode, even if you come from vim. If you absolutely can not live with the default emacs behavior even after trying it for a while, go ahead and use evil mode.

> Actually pressing ESC
> Not just ctrl + [

Attached: 1516296609692.png (657x539, 110K)

youtube.com/channel/UCDEtZ7AKmwS0_GNJog01D2g/videos

This desu.
Waiting for the next stable to hurry the fuck up for stable rtags support.