How do I get over my intimidation and fucking use this scary program already?

How do I get over my intimidation and fucking use this scary program already?

Attached: Anki-icon.svg.png (1200x1200, 131K)

By using the program and getting used to it silly

Attached: 35B7AB5B-FB35-4F96-A8F4-C26268709641.jpg (456x808, 188K)

wahhh, but every time I even glance at it I get overwhelmed. I want so bad to study things at home and retain them. Please tell me how you got used to Anki?

You make decks
Decks have cards
Cards have a front and a back part
You tell anki how many cards you want to learn each day
Anki shows you the front
You try to remember the back
You ask anki to show you the back
You score your answer
If you want you can add media to the cards, too

What exactly don't you understand?

The feature creep stuns something in my brain. It makes me freeze up and lose all energy. Then I take a nap.

holy shit

How dysfunctional do you have to be to not be able to use a fucking flash card application?

you can't learn japanese user

you will learn the kana, maybe make it to 50 kanji, then give the fuck up

You Can't Learn Japanese

What is there to be scared about
It's literally just pressing numbers on your keyboard, then doing it again tomorrow

Use the mobile app.

Attached: 1517964145860.jpg (640x480, 16K)

Suck it faggots, I'm at 2500 vocabulary. I can learn Japanese

Don't listen to them OP. Let this shit humble you. Let anki break you down. But even as it makes you feel like a piece of crap, keep coming back to it. With enough time and patience, you will learn Japanese

>2500 vocabulary.
What is that -- two months and three weeks in?

I'll get there...one day.

Attached: [email protected] (683x2995, 469K)

>two months and three weeks in?
Nah, I was slower early on. It's 7mo for me. But I picked up the pace a lot recently, and as long as I hit my 1yr goal of 6k, ill be fine. If not, I'll be seeing a lot more of "you cannot learn Japanese" in the future

Wow, how do you have so many mature cards? Mine are mostly learn at this point

Same happened to me. Anki is too complicated to use and assumes I already know the kana

Because I hardly ever do new cards and just grind the ones I've already seen forever, that's why I've only just managed half the deck in 4 years

To be fair, you only really need half the deck. You can get the rest from reading and listening. As long as you keep going user, you will make it

cellphone version

Idk, none of those programs work for me. Only paper cards really work.

frankly kana is the easiest part.

hiragana and katakana are simple (although sometimes i forget the katakana).

Try nihongomaster website, unless you are a poorfag and $20 a month is too much.

Are you guys for real? I learned Chinese when I lived in chongchong just through anki. What's so hard about it?

I did this, but didn't give up.
I found out what made the language interesting/to learn personally and that was enough for me.

Would it be great to know another language? I guess.
Would it be great to know Japanese specifically? No, I'll get by.

And also what worked for me was Tae Kim and an Anki deck that followed it.

I was previously getting hung up on Tae Kim where I wanted to work on it in semi-bulk but getting stuck on the kanji. So I was drilling maybe a half a week to a week ahead of Tae Kim to avoid that stalling problem.

>tfw both 2.0 and 2.1 are glitchy as fuck for me
I just want fucking audio to work properly.

Just don't listen to idiots competing like or and do be afraid to be slow. The important is not to go fast but doing little every day.

Attached: 59c22e7ea9330.jpg (1920x1200, 476K)

*don't be afraid

Thanks to 2.1 I was finally been able to run LaTeX mhchem package.

if you are not going to learn anything useful like how to clean a shitter or load trash cans for the rest of us, then neck yourself

Anki auto import is totally broken on the latest 2.0 release for some mysterious reason. I said fuck it and ported the script to python3 and 2.1 and now it works, but audio is glitchy as hell. Anybody know how to debug portaudio?

Mine looks like yours.

well you make the cards then you use it. people like you that refuse solutions then reply with some made up reason as to why you cant are the worst. you should honestly just delete the app and give up

Why are you guys talking like the only thing anki is good for is Japanese? I used anki to memorize mental math, and GNU coreutils, bash, awk, and more.

do you really think the people of Jow Forums are going to learn something useful rather than dicking round for a month with japanese then giving up?

>for a month with japanese then giving up?
Speak for yourself.

Attached: 777.jpg (253x54, 10K)

Japanese is the only memorization I need help from anki with. Everything else is either not important to me or I pick it up after a while naturally anyway.

>implying i want to learn japanese
good on you for committing to it though.

Thank you, you're really sweet. I just have no life and I hate myself -- I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I've stuck with it. I'm sorry if I sounded mean ;_;

try doing language exchanges and make some japanese friends. it will improve your japanese and maybe you will gain some confidence out of it or something. its ok user

Attached: 14690878_327755784257170_8258625019318972582_n.jpg (960x960, 170K)

I got like 300 kanji before giving up

It's nothing compared to the autism that is Supermemo

Attached: dCSuP58.png (379x261, 178K)

>have 700 physical flashcards made from a month worth of Japanese study
>friend tells me about Anki
>decide to check it out
>start inputting my cards to Anki
>realize how many hours it'll take to do just that
>can't even use Anki at work anyway since phones are forbidden

Only downside to physical cards is they can't auto-sort by what needs work, but oh well.

what deck did you use?

not the guy you replied to but I have learned Mandarin before and used anki. The best thing you can do is make your own deck because the cards will be relevant to you, though if you don't want to do that I recommend Spoon Fed Chinese

thanks

Le recommend me some Japanese vocabulary decks, there's a lot of them

Fact: Yuru Yuri posters are the WORST posters on Jow Forums.

pick up the genki books and use the corresponding deck. then move onto the core 10k deck.

The deck you make yourself from mining ポケットモンスター 赤 緑

Just don't make the mistake I made and jump from mining this to Black+White. The Kanji option is nice but the vocab takes a huge leap in difficulty right along with it. I'm not convinced any Japanese kid understands half the shit going on in BW, where RGB/Y are much easier.

Attached: maxresdefault (16).jpg (1024x768, 143K)

Italian living in Japan for almost two years here, keep choking on dicks mediocre faggots.

Anyway, what the fuck are flash cards in the first place? I see 'murricans talking about how great they are for memorization, but I've never used them.

You're not white, shitskin

Italian here, also lived in Japan for 2 years, studied and worked there.
I majored in japanese. N1 level. Forgot a lot since then though.
let me guess, american?

>forget the subject you went to college for
people actually do this?

if you don't use something your brain decides you don't need the information anymore and you forget.

what made you give up user?

Particularly when I've just finished making a deck and have to study like 20 new cards twice over, I find that I need regular breaks. In fact, I'm on Jow Forums because I'm taking a break from making a deck.

Make an anki set about using anki

Oh shit, I actually figured it out. Anki 2.1, for some reason, actually reads your mpv configuration file. So since I had keep-open set to true, it would only play audio for the first file and then keep the background process open forever. Now it finally works properly, thank god.

You remember what you use and forget the rest. Like anything though it's only partially forgotten: if you ever need to relearn it it's quicker than learning it for the first time and it takes you longer to forget afterwards.