Just bought this for 10 buck.s what do i do with it

Just bought this for 10 buck.s what do i do with it

Attached: 20180407_202815.jpg (4032x3024, 3.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Firmware
pfsense.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>see if it works
and/or
>install OpenBSD

Stick it in your pooper.

look for prototype vidja on it

Throw in it the trash. Like, seriously, why did you buy this deprecated piece of hardware?

give it to your wife... then it will be your wife's sun.

I was reading the specs of this workstation, it used to be a beast back then.

I wonder what it would be like to buy cheap top of the line hardware from the late 90s and set up an office with the software that they used back then. It would be like working at the most successful company in the world (back then). Super high definition CRT screens, robust workstations, thinkpad laptops, maybe even servers. The only problem is that you won’t have access to modern day software but I wonder up to what point that would be an actual hindrance

Put your dick in it.

Open it and check for cockroaches.

t. guy who has bought old hardware and found dead cockroaches (and one living millipede) inside several times before

can it run Crysis?

Attached: 33 - yRX21HD.png (756x715, 889K)

what a genius

Linux or *BSD f@m and update us later when you get it running for internet points.

It would still be shit.
You might be loading deprecated software quickly for that era, but the software itself was not as effective.

Op here with an update
>no coakroaches
>no hard drive either
>maxed out ram (2gb)
Gonna need to order an ide hard drive, anyone have advice on buying one?

Will it run java without JVM?

Attached: neckbeard thumbs up.webm (1280x720, 165K)

Christ, I thought Jow Forums was supposed to be more intelligent than other boards. Are you 12?

>UltraSPARC IIe
>beast

doubtful

Play old games on it

UltraSPARC III or III Cu actually depending on the model, one of the best workstation microprocessors at that time

Stick it in your butt. For an authentic enterprise experience, don't use lube.

Uhh just buy a refurbished one on eBay? If you get bored of the server you can install it in a PS2.

based

So i purchased a hard drive for it, so how would i go about installing an os. Could i usw the usb boot method, or am i going to have to brun a boot disc

Attached: 1460772801164.gif (500x281, 1012K)

does that even have USB ports.

i'm fairly certain you need to burn it to disk

Its got 4, also superisngly no ps/2

the cheapest sun server I can find on the internet is >$100

is it SPARC or SPARC64?
either way it is immune to all of the spectre/meltdown bullshit

install openbsd
if it has an ipxe shell you can boot one of the cdxx.iso (mirror.yandex.ru/openbsd/ has many versions)

then for extra internet points use it as your workstation

Gut it and build a sleeper. That's a pretty good looking case.

How'd you buy this, you got a time machine and travelled back to the year 1993?

lmao its a fucking shame OP is a fucking idiot and has no idea what he has his hands on... My old man worked for oracle around they time they bought Sun, he had so much cool shit like this that got ruined in a housefire

Surplus auction from my univeristy

it runs plan9 I think.
It's also probably cianigger proof

Attached: 1471851030292.jpg (640x519, 29K)

What university? My uni had some Sun machines with nice Sun CRT's and kb+mouse, they were apparently taking them out of comission along a shitload of 4:3 Dell monitors and shitty P4 and C2D Dell desktops
But unfortunately no one has ever said anything about an auction

Virginia tech, they have like monthly auctions for a bunch of stuff. When i was there i got a pentium2 gateway laptop for 10. I was disappointed though because they were selling a pallet of computers and they had a power mac (pre g3) that i would have liked.

Burn a CD, or set up an NFS server.

>UltraSPARC IIe
Good news is it’s SPARC64- barely.
OpenBSD is still actively supporting sparc64, and will soon be built under clang/llvm- should be one of the first architectures after amd64 & x86 to get the compiler transition from gcc4.
Debian testing also has a build for sparc64, not just a sparc32 that will work (cough gentoo) and may see a Stable release in Debian 10. Linux/sparc64 4.14 or whatever did have a bug and my friend and I had to grab a repo archive from 2017 December to keep the boot from hanging.
Modern SPARC is great though. Just get a T3-1 on ebay. T2 processors from 2007 are not vulnerable to Spectre btw. In both cases they idle at around 300 watts with max cores and more than 16GB RAM.

>have sun hardware
>run BSD on it
lol

>Blade 100
A fucking 100...

Come back when you at least have a 1000 and then we'll talk what cool shit you can do.

Attached: 1489220790694.png (380x549, 165K)

>I was reading the specs of this workstation, it used to be a beast back then.
It was the budget value version of the whole lineup of the time. It's LITERARY the shitties of the Blades.

>run linux on your unix hardware
>t. youtube autist

spend 5 days compiling gentoo

>Its got 4, also superisngly no ps/2
The state of Jow Forums in 2018.

The state of fucking Jow Forums in 2018.

Post pic inside, unless it has at least a SunPCi it's totally worthless.

>T3-1
>not a T3-2 or T3-4
What are you, a cuck?

Just a humbledude with 110VAC.

Lol yeah my bad, I actually googled sunblade 1 and it autocompleted to 1000 so I read those specs. Didn’t realize it was the 100

I've never tried a non-x86 computer (besides phones), how are they? Are most locked down or can you install any OS that supports the CPU's architecture?

They are a... computer, just running an other ISA instead of x86.
Just a computer, like a computer is. There are locked down x86 systems too, that has nothing to do with it and OS support depends well, on the OS, not the hardware itself.

Well yeah, they're computers, but what good is that if they have some obscure locked-down bootloader that can only boot their proprietary OS?
x86 has UEFI and before that it had the original BIOS from the IBM PC standard. That gives a unified system with which any x86-compatible operating system can work.

>but what good is that if they have some obscure locked-down bootloader that can only boot their proprietary OS?
Why should they? Do you actually think anything that's not x86 is locked down? Why should they only boot their proprietary OS? I think you're thinking way too much about Samsung, LG, etc Android phones.
Just look at something like Debian binary packages and their precompile architectures available. You think they compile them for fun? No, those are just examples of non-x86 ISA that actually runs Debian.

>x86 has UEFI and before that it had the original BIOS from the IBM PC standard.
You think BIOS/EFI/UEFI are the only ones?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Firmware
There are plenty of systems that have even more basic firmware as the OS itself manages everything.

>That gives a unified system with which any x86-compatible operating system can work.
This is false though.

>You think BIOS/EFI/UEFI are the only ones?
there are even x86 systems that don't use those but things like coreboot

Of course. There are x86 systems that also use OpenFirmware also. I.e. OLPC.

Learn Forth, play with OpenFirmware, compare it with the crappy Intel's UEFI, try not to cry, cry a lot.

This

No need to be jealous, old Sun hardware is only a couple hundred bucks usually, you can buy one too.

jealous of what exactly

Install gentoo.

But what would be the point? I could install Gentoo on my laptop too. Aren't there things I could do with that, that I can't with my bolk standard laptop?

Install gentoo
Run a tor node or bridge
Run a website
Batch process some csv files

I bought one of these for a desktop new when they came out.
All I did was browse the web on it...

Attached: Heil Multipass.png (960x541, 658K)

The real state of Jow Forums in 2018

Sun put out a standard for preboot environments in the 80s called OpenBoot which was adopted by many non-x86 PCI vendors under the name “OpenFirmware”. The openness is in its standards, as it has at least an IEEE draft, IEEE 1275 I believe. Can’t remember if it was ratified.
If you boot OpenBSD on it, you’ll see the ofwboot loader obsd brings up the IEEE standard before loading the kernel.
Like many cards in x86 have BIOS/UEFI loaders (like GPUs, Host Bus Adapters, RAID cards) in order to do preboot stuff, cards under OpenBoot need fcode. There are unfortunately a limited number of GPUs with fcode on them but they do exist. I use Fibre Channel for running a SAN, and my Sun-branded Qlogic QLE2462s have both fcode and bios loaders.

pfsense.org/

try and find a sucker willing to pay $11 for it #capitalism

and it's written in forth!

Attached: 2349.png (576x453, 210K)