What is the linux kernel?

What is the linux kernel?

Attached: 1515079225023.png (558x614, 3K)

A small piece of GNU/Linux OS that handles hardware interactions.

Fuck you.
I hate you.
You don't have any friends.
No one likes you.
You're a piece of fucking garbage.
Why don't you just kill yourself already?
Everyone would be so much happier without you.
Just please save yourself and everyone around you from the misery of your existence.

core of the OS to manage the relationship b/t hardware and software

linux uses a kernal by microsoft desu

The kernel is the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system.

ok but how do I use this knowledge to design a kernel?

Attached: nag.jpg (804x931, 320K)

these people both seem like assholes

>tfw reddit keeps falling for this

A bloated piece of shit

calm down lad

Attached: sun.jpg (536x345, 23K)

An operating system.

Yo Dawg, I herd you like Linux, so I put a Linux into your Linux so you can Linux lwhile you Linux.

this.

Attached: 3457375713.jpg (689x600, 59K)

no

Unironically, the vast majority of Linux installations these days end up in a hypervisor, or in a business grade server where HPE/Dell/etc give you their own drivers even if they are in the kernel.

I keep hearing new kernel updates are >50% drivers, which is a whole lot of shit noone will ever use.

Go away.

a popular system core, used with gnu and android systems

Bloated

this

A kind of Ubuntu, I think

Whoa bro I'm feeling a lot of negativity, is everything ok?

a Linux kernel is an addition to the GNU operating system

Any other answer than this is wrong

Sorry

It's the bubble blower.
Everything you load on linux gets a bubble blown by the kernel.
And if the program try to blow the bubble? the kernel gets his rifle and shots the program dead, because while bubble blowing is his job, assassination is his hobby.

The Linux equivalent of NTOSKRNL.EXE.

Isn't that the whole OS?
I thought the OS's job in general is to handle hardware interactions and provide an interface for the user (software) to interact with it

>what is userland

explain it like i'm 5

RMS forces everything to be completely F R E E and O P E N. So you can take anything he made and release it under whatever name you want. That's literally the philosophy of him and his institution or whatever.
>Your stuff must be public but I will go apeshit if you touch mine
Wow sounds like communism at it's best.

That's a huge oversimplification.
There are varies software licenses that protect your intellectual property, but allow other people to use and modify your software.
As an example, Google uses the Linux kernel to create the Android operating system. But they don't go and re-name the Linux kernel and pretend they made it.