When will ARM become more supported on desktop computer? Is ARM really more safe than x86 and others...

When will ARM become more supported on desktop computer? Is ARM really more safe than x86 and others? And what about OpenRISC?

Attached: snapdragon820.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 30K)

Why? If x86 was to be replaced, i would want to have another CISC.

RISC is great, my raspberry pis are great, but i would want a RISC PC, i would always be a downgrade.

>Being this retarded
Do you know that Intel CPUs are already RISC internally right? They translate x86 instructions to their propietary RISC instructions because its so much better

What are you trying to achieve? If you're going to trolled, get something that'll piss him of.

the only x86 cpus that could arguably be called RISC, are Ryzen pro. Which are 100% CISC to the consumer, but the memory security part has a dedicated, non-accessible ARM processor. Which is a perfect idea on how to try to get the memory encrypted safely. Intel would probably have integrated such an idea in an integrated design, AMD went for a easier, a possibly much safer route. There's less to go wrong when it's differentiated from the main CPU, and not an entirely new design by AMD.

>b-b-but modern x86 are RISC inside
>cut and paste time, because you faggots have been memeing this lie for 20 years:
No they're not, they're microcoded and micro-operational, which aren't RISC ideas. The reality is that both CISC and RISC processor groups ended up converging onto the same microarchitectural principles - things like pipelining for superscalar operation, out-of-order execution, speculative execution, branch prediction, simultaneous multithreading, etc. - to improve performance. All modern RISC architectures (including PowerPC and ARM designs) break their 'RISC' instructions into simpler micro-ops internally too - just like a modern x86 does. Remember, RISC basically means only two things: fixed instruction length, and register-to-register (load-and-store) operation. A lot of other stuff - like the things listed previously - has been erroneously assigned as being 'RISC', because most people - like you, user - don't know enough about microprocessor design not to confuse ISA with microarchitecture.

>Being this retarded
The idea of 'twice as many instructions, where every instruction does half as much work' hits clock frequency, memory access, instruction fetch, and thermal walls much sooner than CISC.

This is why, ironically enough, all workstation-grade RISC CPUs were utterly destroyed by Itanium - a VLIW architecture. RISC can only function at the low end, inside small power or form factor envelopes. They don't scale up at all.

Don't believe me? Show me an ARM that outperforms x86 by 50% (which RISC could do in the 90s). I'll wait.

>When will ARM become more supported on desktop computer?
Never.
DT is rightful x86 clay.
>Is ARM really more safe than x86 and others?
Define "more safe".
>And what about OpenRISC?
Dead.

This (these?).

Too many young'uns don't understand enough about how computers work to make any sort of sensible arguments. They parrot pie-in-the-sky ideas that some faggot who wrote a paper in the 60s, or a compiler in the 70s, or a kernel in the 80s - and have done nothing useful since - like it's the second coming. Not just RISC: the microkernel true believers, the UNIX true believers... they're all the fucking same: all completely wrong, their ideas have been tested and found wanting. But because their preferred deity has been touting it for decades on end, IT'S HAPPENING.

ANY DAY NOW.

HONEST.

ANY DAY NOW...

okay grandpa

ARM is quite well-supported on Linux. Use an ARM computer if you want.

>When will ARM become more supported on desktop computer?
20 years ago when It dominated the market.
> Is ARM really more safe than x86 and others?
ARM is susceptible to Specter and Meltdown and recent AMD vulnerabilities are all on the ARM Security chip, in Ryzen, if anything they are the opposite.
> And what about OpenRISC?
nVidias attempt to get into CPU market while Intel and AMD tolerate PCIe slots.

If this ever happen, it will be the end of computers as you know it, because the retarded normalfags will make android win, and shit like running linux will be a lot harder, because unlike on x86, android don't have a standard way to boot shit.
Google is creating an standard for that, but the vendors don't exactly have to support it, or may "support" it in a halfassed way.

>20 years ago when It dominated the market.
user that's like 1998 and x86 was already the king back then, and that was before the Athlon.

I would contend it wasn't quite king yet in '98... but it definitely the at the prince stage, with a whole lot of feudal wannabes at its feet that hadn't quite been killed off yet.

Well, yeah, x86 became king with amd64&Opteron.
HPC, the last bastion of gimmicky ISAs, fell that day.

Around 2020/2021 or so, when Apple release the ARM-based desktop line they're working on.

No.

Dead. RISC-V is more what you're looking for.

Wasn't it confirmed that Apple is still going to use x86?

It became Prince with PPro (banishing all other arches to the margins), it became King when Itanium hunted them to extinction for it, and it became GOD when AMD64 slew Itanium with a mere wave of its hand.

No.
Apple will be moving MacToys to in-house ARM cores.

>ARM
>Not DEC Alpha
Greatest RISC arch of all time

Attached: 2818668_orig.jpg (609x390, 72K)

Alpha had some great ideas, but the ISA itself was shit and DEC was totally incompetent at selling their stuff to anyone.

>but the ISA itself was shit
No.

>and DEC was totally incompetent at selling their stuff to anyone.
FUCK YES. I couldn't believe this was the same DEC that brought us PDPs and VMS.

How come? I remember Alphas pretty much beat everything else on the market at the time.

Easy, they fired Ken Olsen.

I mock myself for my newfaggy miss here.

Attached: 1517528096588.gif (500x384, 290K)

>No.
Yes.
>FUCK YES. I couldn't believe this was the same DEC that brought us PDPs and VMS.
Well good shit that the relevant Alpha dudes went to AMD.

>Easy, they fired Ken Olsen.
Forgot about that. +1

>Well good shit that the relevant Alpha dudes went to AMD.
Thought that quite a few of them left after Hector Ruiz ruined AMD and ended up at Apple?

>Thought that quite a few of them left after Hector Ruiz ruined AMD and ended up at Apple
Well duh it's the same Ruinz that sold off Imageon to Qualcomm for peanuts.
The current Apple team is mostly ex-Haswell and ex-Atom dudes though.

AMD got Keller back for Zen though, so it wasn't a total loss.

Keller was doing K12, not Zen.

>1998 was 20 years ago

Attached: why.jpg (550x366, 60K)

it was, burger

Hmm... Shittypedia says nothing about him being involved with the K12, but has his name plastered all over the Zen article. Excavation time...

Zen's lead architect is Mike Clark.
Keller was doing K12 because reasons.
It's yet to be used anywhere, period.

>The current Apple team is mostly ex-Haswell and ex-Atom dudes though.
Interesting. Is that why Intel is going to shit recently? All of their best engineers got poached by Apple.

Opensource Mali Drivers when. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

As soon as that one guy dies/retires/gets fired.
Remember, it’s literally one person in upper management preventing the release.

>Is that why Intel is going to shit recently?
You bet!
Intel has been hemorraging quality engineers like nothing else.
Their current product stack uses like ~2015 IP.
Compare that to AMD that desperately tried to strap something new to each release.

From what i have seen from the Windows on ARM, it's a "No"

>Intel has been hemorraging quality engineers like nothing else.
Serves Brian Krzanich right for being a cost cutting idiot.

ARM still sucks at complex computations compared to x86, this is why x86 will continue to dominate desktops.

Intel's marketing department is just woeful now.
Fucking beancounters.

Who cares about the marketing, if they don't have good engineers they're totally fucked given that a new arch usually takes about 4 years to develop.

ARM is not going to support desktop computers, it's going to blow them out of the water

>2015 ip
>15W 5GHz quad core mobile parts
Yeah lol k.

The joos are still there and they can probably tape some more shit onto P6.
shoo shoo pakesh

ARM was never a dominating architecture. x86 was already the dominating one 20 years ago, and the one that had the closest position before it was m68k.

Microsoft already tried that, and they're going to try it again with Windows 10 S.
People are going to get butthurt when none of their desktop applications work.

What's the point in using Windows if you lose backwards compatibility? 90% of all Windows software is proprietary enterprise abandonware last updated in 2006.

>Use an ARM computer if you want.
Where can I buy an ATX-standard motherboard that takes ARM?

If only DEC/Compaq had been more competent we could have had Alpha as a decent competitor.

the fuck is this dumb tripshit still doing here?

Ease of use. It's basically an alternative to Android.