/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/5XrUEbBK

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread: →

Attached: 1507717241123.jpg (1920x1080, 534K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/trd6H
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 2203A8E9-A187-43E3-8733-B403CC10B96D.jpg (1343x1714, 601K)

Any of you fags tried making your own headphones or IEMs?

Attached: 1508669556432.gif (480x264, 1.54M)

why do that when the sennheiser hd 600, which is the best headphone in the universe, exists?

garbage

I've looked into making my own IEMs but really don't have the time. I think modifying over ear headphones would be easiest given you have a way to measure them. I know many people into this, they enjoy it.

how can headphones be garbage when you like headphones and they at least have the benefit of being headphones if not particularly good at it

Closest I've done is mod headphones and make custom tips for iems

Need to find a way of making diy drivers, so that headphones can be truly diy

>how can headphones be garbage when you like headphones and they at least have the benefit of being headphones if not particularly good at it

>takes a piss on your drink
how can a drink be garbage when you like drinks and it has the benefit of being a drink even if not a particularly tasty one

why is love exclusive as opposed to inclusive
free yourself from the tyranny of the mind

Are T50RP a meme?

Yes, but a good one

Good by definition is separating the wheat from the chaff. Beauty over ugly. Tasty over vomit inducing. High quality sound over mud.

Evil is rejecting the righteous, natural hierarchy and claiming all things to be equal. It's tyranny of the Ugly. Contemporary art. Blue haired screeching feminists. Shit in a box. Wherever the ideology spreads, it destroys civilization at its roots.

Attached: thumb_large.jpg (756x800, 109K)

Those feet are terribly drawn but I'll suck them because of foot starvation. Thank you OP. You like to tease us with those amazing headphone taste?

I'm very much into this hobby, know every headphone like it's a pokemon card. Yet the t50rp is one I've never heard and don't really know anything about. It's an orthodynamic headphone yet it doesn't have the characteristic linear bass that you would find in hifiman or audeze. Apparently the driver isn't very well designed but has potential because of the modding scene.
I think people should give modding the cheap monoprice a shot, they're just as accessible as t50rp's are.

why op making so many arrows?

subjectivity is a miracle
mankind's hopes and dreams can't be evil and good is oppression
pic related is you by the way

Attached: 1488724265565.jpg (996x560, 51K)

Attached: thinner.jpg (687x1030, 98K)

that would be the "nothing has value so both are equals" approach
my way of seeing it is: you, as a man, have authority to choose and not necessarily be a slave of order
but if we're going to post fat women in my 2d feet general let's stop shitposting at once

Attached: 1519814862361.jpg (418x500, 49K)

It's nice to see that the Meze are no longer in canpicker's selection. I can't remember, is this someone on /hpg/'s site?

Show us your favorite 2d headphones with feet on them

Elegant.

Attached: DT880PRO-black.jpg (946x631, 70K)

>Apparently the driver isn't very well designed
They're 150 bucks or something for technology that usually costs 500 bucks and upwards, you gotta make some compromises.

Pure Filth

Attached: 95E9E172-897A-405E-997B-26D6078983F6.jpg (2750x3666, 1.82M)

>dynamic
>planar magnetic
>electrostatic
[urge to own one of each intensifies]

Skip planars.

Definitely try planars. They make all the dynamic's Ive heard sound incompetent in terms of bass. Linear bass is the way it should be done.
Idk about electrostatics, seem like a meme.
Most dynamics are shit unless you're trying to be cheap and live on just a hd600 or something.

>Idk about electrostatics, seem like a meme.

>talking up planars in the same post

Planars are the bastard child that have the drawbacks of both dynamics and electrostatics and the only thing you gain over dynamics is that flat weakass bass. They all have wonky treble response and unnatural timbre.
>Most dynamics are shit unless you're trying to be cheap and live on just a hd600 or something.
HE400S cost as much as a HD600, although they're shit both as a planar and as a headphone in general.

Well yeah the he400s isn't very good you gotta get an he500, he6, lcd2, etc. The good ones.

What planars u recommend?

Is a technology good if its cheapest examples aren't good?

Jow Forums I keep breaking my $20-50 IEMs every few months. So far I've been through Soundmagic E10s, MEE Audio M6 pros, first harmonics IEB6 and the KZ ZS6. Some of them sounded pretty shit, but I've been told they're all tough. All of them had their internal wiring fail, even the ones with removable cables.

Pls shill me the toughest IEM tanks you know, I'm sick of having to faff with warranty all the time.

HE500 or lcd2f if you don't mind used. Sunadar/LCD2c(call audeze they'll sell them for $600 if you know how to ask) if you want new.
What about the campfire audio comet? It's made of chrome or something, detachable mmxc cable, only $200.
At $100 I think theres the new fiio f9/f9 pro also made of metal.
If you wanna be a real nigga treat yourself to some etymotic er4xr or massdrop+ iems both around $350

yikes

You are yiking too soon.

Attached: bestheadphoneintheworld.jpg (499x379, 26K)

You can get 6 dollar earbuds that sound great. What's your end game here with such a provocative question?

How are you breaking them? It seems you are the one who is broken.

Planars cant compete with estats. Sorry, it's just the truth.

You have very low standards. I've yet to hear any ear bud or iem that sounds great and I've spent hundreds.

Ve monk.

Use them about 6-8 hours/day and move around a lot. Also tend to take them in and out all the time. Not gonna lie I'm not gentle with them any means, but I don't think I do anything crazy. They're not used for any sports, just walking between places and at the desk/in bed. I somehow manage to loosen the connection inside the buds every time - I wish it were a broken cable, at least that would be an easy fix.

Thanks

I was only wondering because just above there's been one guy trashing planars because of the 'entry level' HE400, and one guy defending planars because "you need to try the better ones".

I wear these to the gym where I squat lmao4pl8s

Ok I apologize for calling you broken. Add some glue putty to your next pair as a strengthening thing maybe. Or heat shrink tape, something, take steps to see if you can figure out why.
Try not to tightly wrap them always leave slack at the end that goes into the IEM's and jack, that's what I'd do anyway.
Sounds like a phenomenon really.

Ah, Some people like blowing money, I bet the ones who are so flippant about people being poor sell everything they've got to buy the more expensive version of everything.
Some guy in here has sold all his worldly furniture just so he can have a hundred dollar volume pot and some fresh tubes.
His body is suffering from carpet burns and joint problems, many such cases...

Attached: 203295.jpg (704x600, 54K)

what was the best IEM of 2017?

Why? For a collection?

I've spent thousands on in-ears to realize that linearity is trivial, so convolution/equalization is also trivial (and thus perfectible). Cheap shits sound nice if you can grab some decent tips and an EQ.
Comfort and ruggedness of the earpiece and cable are something else.

Why not? Are there seriously people who continually discuss headphones but are content owning a single pair of them?

But ve monk is 5 bucks!

i can barely 3pl8 teach me ur ways..

I'm not particularly enthusiastic at this point. I don't do this regularly.
I don't consider or care for headphones as products so much as figure out ways to do it better. This means looking for unsolved problems, design targets that cannot yet be met with general know-how.
As far as I am concerned, headphones exist that are *as good as they need to be*. Of course, you can push linear bounds, improve sensitivity, directivity, and so on, but these do not seem to be interesting or worthwhile problems compared to spatialization-related signal processing or even loudspeaker designs.

I recognize your butcher blocks.

Boos

Attached: C58AB6BA-4920-419E-8A69-3B139592E159.jpg (3024x4032, 2.26M)

Boos

Attached: 50F79BEA-E18B-4ACB-97DF-EBBF6B14AC42.jpg (3933x1655, 1.23M)

How does the HD600's bass, including subbass, match up to the HD 579? Planning on a upgrade

Heheh where from?

I hope those fingerboards output 192k 24-bit

>pretending you can sense beyond 44.1 kHz

Attached: 1520186686994.jpg (720x736, 32K)

Only the highest of fidelity

Attached: 88EE1328-0CF1-4020-8651-F93596495B25.jpg (4032x3024, 3.13M)

Yep. Ive got one in my kitchen; they're super nice.

>Wear these:
>Wear yoga pants.
>Blast britnery.

Anyone knows the difference between superlux 662 and 662 evo? Both are ~30€

Looking for cheap closed headphones for public transport / work, and since I'm very happy with my 668b I figured I'd try a closed back superlux

not me but i was impressed by this
imgur.com/a/trd6H

Takstar Pro 82

now this but unironically

Maybe look into IEMs for public use, they are a lot more portable, isolate better, and won't get hot in the summer

You keeping all this shit on your carpet?

>IEMs
sound like shit and feel like shit in comparison

I have IEMs but a headphone sounds better and has the advantage of showing people you don't wanna be disturbed, which is a big plus at work

Pro 82 is quite expensive here, 50€ + delivery while hd 662 is 29-33€, and I'd like to keep it low

Along with a new addition I recently built, and there is a Woo WA6se on the way.

Attached: D5DC3606-A4BF-4055-8262-28B4AC9A07E7.jpg (4032x1942, 1.57M)

>This faggot gets banned for spam and goes right back to spamming

will velour pads still make my ears hot?

You'll never know until you try.

what headphones and velour pads?

fidelio x2 pads

don't know where to ask this but I need audio faggot help

I'm running powered speakers from my pc to a dac to a preamp to the speakers. The speakers output horrible noise when receiving a signal through the pc, be it from the dac or 3.5mm. This doesn't happen with my laptop, dap or any other device, the fuck is happening?

Best headphone ever
>prove me wrong

Attached: senn_hd800.jpg (1920x1080, 384K)

That's not Orpheus.

>>prove me wrong
Just look at the frequency graph

>Best dynamic headphone ever

Not the HD600, the best headphones in the world.

Get up a tab for IKEA before ordering new warble machines.

Anyone have Taction Kannons?

That'd be the HD 650, with hand picked, driver matched drivers to +/-1db!

>hand picked
You don't trully beleive this, right?

>Trully
Sorry, I don't think I speak your language

What’s a Fender JASS bass?

HD800s exist

I have modded HD555s held together by superglue and electrical tape. Been using them for over 6 years, what should I upgrade to?

Gorilla Glue and Duct Tape

It's pretty dumb to be hating on planars outright. Going from either of mine to the hd650 makes the hd650 sound simply bad in some songs. It implies that you've never heard them.
>inb4 well it's not the hd600! The pinnacle of dynamic driver technology and pure distilled fidelity!

Attached: wish-i-just-bought-clear.jpg (1485x836, 703K)

>showing people you don't wanna be disturbed
I feel you
>Pro 82 is quite expensive here
For only an extra 17€ it's worth it, trust me

doubt it, and if they do they'll do it less so in comparison to leather

I checked, it's retardedly expensive anywhere decent and I'd rather avoid ordering it from aliexpress/gearbest

Any suggestions for another headphone or seller? It's like 90+€ on any eurppean amazon

on a scale of 0 to 10
0 is no headphones at all
10 is pleather pads
where does velour stand

you could check ebay, if you go for a well reviewed one on ali you should be fine

Tbh I just want a cheap headphone for work & public transport, I'd rather avoid paying 60€ for it and wait 4 weeks to receive (if I actually get it)

Is the 662 (f/b/ / evo) that bad? It's not like I'd be using it on good equipment, only phone and desktop computer at work, and the superlux are cheap and readily available from reputable european sellers

Nah, setup is how I planned. If I wanted rack I’d build a flexy. i only have single xlr and single rca outputs from my source so this layout is far more convenient.

Attached: 81914AE5-4ABF-4912-BAC7-97D42218F43B.jpg (2772x3698, 2.08M)

I honestly can't tell you.. it depends on so many factors like humidity and temperature. In an average room you won't experience problems with either. Velour is better than pleather for ventilation though