Are you hoarding old PC parts?

Are you hoarding old PC parts?

Attached: pc-parts-white-background-29209568.jpg (800x533, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/78866/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1800-1M-Cache-up-to-2_58-GHz
asrock.com/MB/Intel/D1800B-ITX/index.asp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No

I never throw out anything anymore unless it's verifiably broken. I've had too many instances where I've needed or wanted a something-or-other and thought I had it only to find that I'd gotten rid of it somewhere along the line.

I do not throw away things that still work.

I wish I was, but I live in a small apartment so I don't really have much in the ways of storage. I do have my parents' old vista pre-built HP set in the closet, they were gonna toss it but I held onto it thinking I'd set it up for a ghetto home server but the parts are crap and I don't have the time/patience to really check what's still good to go.

Rethink your life.

Are you ever gonna reuse those parts again?

You never know. And what do you mean by rethink your life you fucking retard?

he means that he wants you to stop having fun and live as he does so that he won't feel as bad about his life, by way of making you share his misery

I'm not mentally ill so I dump my old electronics innawoods like a normal person

I sold off parts that I don't perceive myself using in the future, or throw them away. If you "never know" you need to re-evaluate your knowledge of yourself, and also your perception of time, things are moving on, new gadgets are invented every day and most importantly, you will get old an die. There are times when I needed stuff I sold off or threw away but that's 1% chance.

There is a market for old useless crap, so I turn it into money, who knows what they do with it.

PC parts? A little.
Computer hardware? Yes.

I have my two previous computers just sitting around doing nothing, I know they're worth diddly squat now but can't be bothered to take them to the dump. I don't have any use for them so they just sit there.

I have a couple of 7900GTs in my cupboard back from when I fell for the SLI meme. I think one of them started playing up. Other than that, an old soundcard I don't even remember what it is and a bunch of hard disks.

Attached: mossthrow.gif (213x118, 497K)

Not hoarding but I've kept all my old CPU's, graphics cards and mobile phones.
I like to look at how technology progressed - I have 24 years of tech history in my attic.

I just threw out a Mac G4 yesterday, after moving it for the millionth time in the last ten years. Feels good to be rid of it, though I still felt compelled to keep the ram from it.

Old parts are so hard to sell. They sit on ebay for 6 months or more and your margin is like $2. Better to throw them away.

I use to sell them if they are worth anything. Unlike my old Phenom parts, which brought me through years until 2013. I keep them as a trophy, knowing they aren't worth more than 10 €.
My Phenom, yes. I'm actually using it right now. I used it as a HTPC when I didn't have the money for a 2nd PC, it still works. I have 1000 € in my drawer but AMD don't want me to use them until 19th April...

Attached: 1522513811485.jpg (2880x1620, 897K)

I have about 2 tb worth of small, spare drives, at least 4 spare GPUs, a spare phenom, a couple spare motherboards, and a small box full of sound cards/TV tuners/network cards from throughout my life. I still use a lot of my spare parts on occasion, so I keep em around. I definitely wouldn't have the fucking GPU passthrough VM meme setup I have right now if I'd chucked out my spare AMD GPU.

I like fucking with my tech, and trying new stuff. I built a nice little Q3A server a few months ago on a whim and got all my friends in on it for a while. Once we got bored, I tore it back down. I'm going to set up a file server this week with mostly the same parts, so I can share some shit with my mates and get a nice NAS going.

It's fun you angry jaded shits. I probably should throw out my zip drive though.

Attached: 1517189740695.jpg (125x62, 2K)

I kept my MOBO and CPU and RAM since I just build a new PC and I want to be able to use a PC in case the new rig has problems.
Other than safety I don't keep shit.

I'm going through a dumpster dive phase at the moment so hoarding lots of crap. I have like 30 of these MATX boards I could sell but some have minor faults or intermittent problems so I can't be assed to deal with the inevitable complaints from retards who don't read the descriptions. Got some heavy servers too that will probably have to be broken down because they take up too much space.

Attached: STP80268.jpg (1024x986, 374K)

If we undergo an apocalyptic scenario, user will have a ready supply of reusable parts and metals.

Those are M-ITX boards with built-in Intel Celeron J1800 CPUs and coolers.
I'll link you to ASRock's and Intel's websites on the products.

ark.intel.com/products/78866/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1800-1M-Cache-up-to-2_58-GHz

asrock.com/MB/Intel/D1800B-ITX/index.asp

>Are you hoarding old PC parts?
absolutely yes.

Attached: theolddygoldy.jpg (6648x2972, 3.25M)

What if it snows and I am stuck inside. I'd finally be able to go through all my parts and maybe build that Beowolf cluster

Prolly my fav hoarded item I have.

Attached: IMG_20180408_092005.jpg (720x1280, 232K)

HD7750
GTX 770
MSI GTX980
16GB DDR3 x2 sticks
FX4300
FX8350
is what i have, dont know how much i could sell them for

I've got some yeah.

I also have an early 2000s build and a late 2000s build still together and working. Don't think I'll ever really use them again though, aside from nostalgia.

Going to be upgrading my current 2012 build this year as well, so there's going to be yet another system laying around in my closet doing nothing.

Wat do? I kinda want to sell them or donate them, but idk.

Attached: 1429581406506.jpg (332x512, 32K)

yes, and when i have enough i build a shitbox out of it

If you guys have old part laying around, and nothing do on a random weekend, here's what you do:

> 1. Gather your old components / old system that you don't care about anymore and aren't going to sell
> 2. Assemble / make sure everything is working
> 3. Wipe HDD
steps 4 - 5 can optionally be skipped
> 4. Install an easymode Linux distro (not gentoo)
> 5. Make sure all drivers are installed / system is running nicely
and finally...
> 6. DONATE it somewhere.

Google around your city. In lots of cities, there are computer donation places that will take your old computer and/or components and put them to good use or resell them to places/people that need them.
Plus some places also do cool things for the community like provide basic tech courses and meetups, etc etc.

Then you can feel good knowing your beloved old PC and components are living and breathing again, instead of sitting in a dump somewhere covered in Peggy's leftover rotting lasagna from 3 months ago.

Attached: 1518888012477.jpg (600x908, 75K)

im still holding my first computer
Q6600
8800GTX
680i sli mobo
8 gigs ocz ram

i hoarded my memory sticks after i bought some low cl ones and a few years later they burnt, so I'm Happy I'm a horder.

it's good to hoard pc parts so you can test to see what exactly got fucked.

i'd prefer to
>6. Sell it as a gayming anti-mining machine

>Donate it
Fuck off, nobody except welfare queens ever get that crap. Schools only get computers straight from OEMs for support reasons.

Not always, it really depends on the place you give it to.

Either way, leaving it sitting in your closet taking up space is cool i guess....
If you're going to get rid of electronics, at LEAST take them to a place that recycles them for. Throwing them in the trash is just contributing to pollution and climate change.

I have an old MPC that I'm gunna put in the trashcan just for you, hippie

Gay

>climate change.
This is why I throw all my old computer shit in the trash. It's too fucking cold in New England. Maybe if I throw enough shit away things will warm up.

Enjoy being a brainlet who can't comprehend how climate change works and the science behind it.

Attached: 1517972116925.png (645x729, 75K)

misery loves company afterall

I hoard mini-pcs. I have a bunch of MIPS/ARM/x86 mini-pcs, supposedly was going to use them for commercial projects, but.. here I am, wasting my time

Attached: poo.jpg (450x450, 49K)

I'd toss you a few bucks to make a low power file server with one of those

I cleaned out my basement and just rebuilt 2 of my old systems into a cheap cases
FX8350
8GB DDR3
1TB hard drive
HD7770

second system
FX4130
6GB DDR3
250GB
Geforce 210

was hoping to sell them, but I'm in the same boat, what to price it at?

I also have 3 modded 771/775 xeon systems floating around

>Having that amount of ram laying about in one's basement used or unsold, especially in regards to today's ram prices.

Attached: ehh.jpg (912x720, 90K)

I would keep one low power machine in a faraday cage in case of an EMP strike. ideally something like along with a moddible router, an SDR, tv tuner, wifi cards, and a bunch of USB drives and hard drives.

at the end of the world you will be the only shitposter

Granted, but I got a majority of them for free when people toss machines.

The climate has been changing for a while, m8. Only 18,000 years ago, my house would have been underneath 300 feet of glacial ice. Shit happens. Things change. Stop crying.

If you're really concerned about the environment, you would advocate for the only things that would make a real difference: depopulation of Africa and preventing China and India from industrializing.

Yes
Eventually I accumulate enough to make another PC
This is a 2.2ghz northwood pentium 4 with 2gb of ram, a 160gb hdd and a GeForce 6200
It’s also on one of the few mini itx 478 boards
Inside this 20$ case with a billion random fans

And as I buy more random shit I like I’ll make more stuff. I recently got a GTX 465 and a 4870x2 for cheap

Attached: FD2FB889-2A2B-4A87-9FBF-D2A737EC4339.jpg (4032x3024, 1.79M)

How much would you want for the 4130 system?

Looks over at ultra wide 160 scsi cable... uh maybe?

I don't buy things I don't need, but I also won't throw away something that works. I sell what I no longer need.

Attached: 040268fe9a82a817b951c0cdd1578640.gif (640x480, 1018K)

problem with many old parts is energy efficiency.

you should price the total cost of running your old shitbox before locking it in a closet somewhere.

Not always, really the average older PC isn’t too power hungry compared to modern PCs.
A core2duo is still 65w like a modern i5
HDDs are still 7-15w
Maybe GPUs but something like an 8800gtx still draws significantly less power than a 1080ti

My shitty P4 box above only draws 130w from the wall.

130w at $0.12/kWh is $137/yr

if you just need a lightweight Nextcloud server or something, then getting an SBC like an ODROID-HC1 for $60 would be better, considering that it only eats 6-10w

honestly, I was only looking for around $150ish since CL is selling core 2 duos for $100 and other FX based systems are listed between $200 and $500

Got a few things:
2001 Dell Dimension L800CXE; Fully intact w/Zip 100,10/100 Nic, 56k modem, 3dFX Voodoo 3 2000,CD-RW,Floppy, 60GB HDD, 256mb ram,Celeron 800,SB Live Value, Win 98SE. Still got the original speakers & support docs/Driver CDs. OEM Psu is dead though. Back then Dell screwed up the ATX wiring so you can't just get any aftermarket atx psu. If you try, you'll only fry the psu or components.

2004/5 ish computer build; Opteron-185/2GB Ram, 6800GT, 80GB HDD, DVD-Rom,Floppy, SB Audigy Gamer 2 ZS, Creative 5.1 Speakers, Samsung Sync Master 17" Monitor, Solid steel white atx mid tower case from PC Power & Cooling (Got two of them). Mobo is ASRock 939 Dual Sata II. Still works today.

2003 build; Intel Celeron 1.4ghz, 512/1GB ram (Dunno which), 20GB hdd, SB Audigy, (Missing Graphics card). PC Power & Cooling White ATX Case. Think either mobo or psu is dead/almost dead.

Misc: Opteron 170/4GB ram & Micro ATX Geforce 6150 mobo; ATI Radeon 32mb SDR pci, ATI Xpert 98, Radeon 9600XT (Sapphire),Athlon x2 6000 (Still in box), Foxconn AM2+ ATX board w/4GB DDR2, Athlon 64 3800 S939, Athlon II Tri-core 3.0ghz, Spare parts: Phenom II x4 955, 16GB (8gb x2) DDR3, Geforce GT 740. ASRock 980DE3 AM3+ Board

Also got a working HP Prolianit N40L Microserver just sitting in a box w/5.25 to 3.5 drive hot swap adapter.

Why aren't you hoarding PC parts?

This
So many boxes, but I always have that molex splitter or mini HDMI

I think I’m hoarding, guys.

I have all of this working old shit, but no motivation to go through, test, and resell each. Don’t want to throw it out either, because it would feel wasteful.

Please help

Attached: 653A66C2-4BAA-4E39-93E5-244B16D1F798.jpg (638x544, 61K)

Adapters for standard ATX PSU to Dell mobo (and the reverse) used to be standard articles of commerce as people routed around Dell's annoying fuckery. They probably still have them on ebay, considering they're still selling ATX-to-AT adapters.

I am hoaring your mom right now OP. Does that count?

>Are you hoarding old PC parts?
Hoarding.. no, but I have my old phenom ii, and fx 8300 systems unused, and a trinitron that I can't bring myself to throw away, or the stack of at keyboards that I have for no reason, and a couple of 1080p monitors that I don't use at all.