/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1500820224076.png (1024x1024, 917K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/TGhnHh
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/NWRjyX
youtube.com/watch?v=k2TzgRgdkHg
tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-860-evo-ssd-review,5446-3.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/4CsRJ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/pwtV6s
pcpartpicker.com/list/xTwMZR
pcpartpicker.com/product/Y6Crxr/fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tg
amazon.ca/dp/B01F9UC20Q/?tag=pcp0f-20
amazon.ca/dp/B079GN819B/?tag=pcp0f-20
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157820&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/pGcQZR
pcpartpicker.com/list/PKcQZR
pcpartpicker.com/list/fLFw6s
pcpartpicker.com/list/q4ZnHh
youtube.com/watch?v=uGXVMJztK4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reposting here from the previous thread.

user, what do you think?
Need a small PC for games and to serve as a desktop in future.

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/TGhnHh

Current thoughts:

- Case: Seems to be a good balance between size and space.

- CPU: 8400 is much cheaper than 8600 and I don't think I want to fiddle with overclocking

- Cooler and fans: People agree that Noctuas are overpriced, but don't agree on what is a good replacement. This case fits up to 145mm tall cooler, and some people go with Cryorig H7, but I'm not convinced it is a good idea. I think, I'd go with a good cooler with a 92mm fan. I actually want Scythe Byakko if I can find one, since Scythe seems to consistently do better than Noctua, but it is not on Pcpartpicker. As for the case fans, I don't know what is a good replacement.

- Motherboard. One problem is that it has no hdmi 2.0, which is fine, because I'll have a discrete GPU anyway. Another thing is that it has no M.2 cover, and I don't know if it is good or not. The M.2 slot is just next to the GPU, won't it have problems with overheating? Otherwise, every motherboard has a few bad reviews (being DOA, for example), so I'm not convinced I should pay more for something else.

- RAM. People seem to claim that 3000 memory is what I should go for, so I picked a more popular one. May replace it with a similar one if it is cheaper on the day of purchase.

- SSD. I want a 500Gb SSD, since 256 is quite easy to fill. In the list I put 960 evo, but I'm not sure yet. It is 50 Euro more than 860 evo, and people report that it can be 1.5-2 times faster. I guess, that makes 960 worth it.

- GPU. I picked a cheaper 1060 6GB with 2 fans, since people seem to complain about 1-fan cards spinning their fans too hard. May replace it with a similar one if it is cheaper on the day of purchase.

- Power. That's pretty much the cheapest modular PSU that has all good reviews. I could pay 30 more Euro for a Gold one, but I don't think I should.

Attached: Untitled.png (762x813, 90K)

I've been an AMD fag in the past, is the i5 8400 still going to be better than the upcoming R5 2600 / R5 2600x for gaming purposes?

>2.8 Ghz 8400 over 3.2 Ghz Ryzen 5 1600
>1060 6GB over superior RX 580

put it this way. the 6c/6t 8400 is already tapped out in some games. It may be slightly better for gaming right now, but it won't stay that way for long

Yes but not by much and if you have a GTX 1060 / RX 580 or play at >1080p you'll be graphics limited with either CPU. The R5 is a finewine bet with its higher multithreaded performance

Attached: OC 1600 vs 8400.png (1920x1080, 909K)

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/NWRjyX
>cooler
noctua is an overkill for a locked cpu. pick only if you really want more silence, although in that case getting a quieter gtx 1060 would be a better idea
>ram
i picked better and cheaper 2x8gb. i dont know why your pick is so expensive, especially when corsair lpx is pretty bad
>ssd
960 will be faster sure, but imo it's not worth it. in real world performance (loading games, boot times) the difference between normal sata ssd and m.2 isn't that big. either get mx500 500gb or spend some more for 1tb (imo 500gb ssd + 2tb hdd is the sweet spot)
>psu
picked much better psu for 10€ more

from leaked reviews so far yes 8400 is still going to be better.

>what are boost clocks
8400 still is better at gayming in most titles than overclocked ryzen
rx 580 is more expensive (thanks miners) and only marginally better (some titles favour nvidia, some amd).

>buy this worse cpu, it will be better few years from now!
been hearing this since bulldozer.

>the 6c/6t 8400 is already tapped out in some games
No

Attached: Untitled1.png (3056x1080, 1.05M)

Attached: rDaYNp9J6HrySLF9atz2XJ-650-80.png (600x800, 176K)

>rx 580 is more expensive (thanks miners)
Boohoo. $30
>only marginally better (some titles favour nvidia, some amd).
yea, not in real world tests. RX 580 kicks the 1060's ass in all but like 2 games now.
#finewinetechnology
youtube.com/watch?v=k2TzgRgdkHg

>Boohoo. $30
not in the eu retard.
>literally-who youtuber as a source
classic

Attached: Average.png (1295x1331, 50K)

b-b-b-b-based intel poster

Maybe I should restate my original question,

I am looking for 1080p gaming at 144hz and not really much else. An user recommended the i5-8400 and a gtx 1070ti or 1080.

I've been an AMD fag in the past because of cheaper prices and ease of upgrading, so am wondering if the i5-8400 will be good enough until at least 2020 as compared to the new r5 2600

>>literally-who youtuber as a source
>classic
The guy has been on Gamers Nexus. he's legit

>so am wondering if the i5-8400 will be good enough until at least 2020 as compared to the new r5 2600
no. 2600 would be better cuz more threads.

Cool, thanks for the feedback

> i picked better and cheaper 2x8gb
Thanks, I guess I forgot to sort the RAM by price or something.

> getting a quieter gtx 1060 would be a better idea
How do I understand which one is quieter?

> Bequiet cooler
Aren't Bequiets in general considered an overprice? Not this particular model, but in general? I've read so many reviews with them not performing to the expectations.

> Crucial mx500
Do you have a strong opinion about this one vs. Samsung 860 Evo? Their 500Gb versions cost pretty much the same.

> picked much better psu for 10€ more
Lol, I'm quite sure yesterday the 520 Bronze PSU that i selected was cheaper. I guess, now the Gold one makes more sense.

>meanwhile amd is making YET ANOTHER refresh of polaris
inb4 amdrones making excuses

Attached: HMx8iMT.png (1488x945, 66K)

Awesome. Just what I wanted. Hopefully a 560X to tackle the 1050Ti, and a 580X to bridge the gap between the 580/1060 and Vega 56/1070

>How do I understand which one is quieter?
you'd need to check reviews for different gtx 1060 models. i think zotac amp would be quieter than msi ocv1.
>Do you have a strong opinion about this one vs. Samsung 860 Evo?
they perform pretty much the same, in real world you wouldn't notice a difference. just pick the cheaper one
source: tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-860-evo-ssd-review,5446-3.html
>Aren't Bequiets in general considered an overprice?
not really, be quiet! pure rock (not the slim one) has one of the best price/perf ratio, though there might be a better choice than that. i dont know much about coolers for itx builds.

yeah and a free space heater included, how nice of them.
amd is just really desperate to get some more gpu sales before nvidia's next gen which will fuck them over until navi

>before nvidia's next gen which will fuck them over until navi
inb4 The 1100 series is just a 5% improvement over Pascal

>I am looking for 1080p gaming at 144hz with the i5-8400 and a gtx 1070ti or 1080
The i5 is better for that right now

>am wondering if the i5-8400 will be good enough until at least 2020
Yes, new consoles won't come out until 2019 and games won't take advantage of the new hardware until a year or so later

nvidia is not intel, the last few gens were quite a big jumps. now they're switching over to gddr6, so even if we won't get gtx2060 = gtx1080 in terms of performance i'd still presume that it will be better than 1070.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4CsRJ8

I've never had a decent setup for gaming, and I'm hoping to play most things in 1080 at a decent frame rate. I'm sure there are some areas where i could cut costs, and I want it to look nice when put together.

Attached: itriedtomakeathing.png (1131x792, 82K)

I personally won't go for AIO liquid cooling. Not worth a risk of it leaking and killing some expensive component.

Pascal isn't bandwidth limited. Either they make the shaders beefier, put more, or clock them significantly higher.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pwtV6s
- no reason to get overkill AIO and non-cheapest z370 mobo for a locked 8400.
- picket better and cheaper ram, rgb is gay
- 960 will be faster than mx500 but it's not really noticeable in gaming and real world applications
- bigger hdd
- much better gpu
- better psu
overall my build is going to perform ~35% better while costing less

My hope is
>GTX 2060 = GTX 1070
>GTX 2070 = GTX 1080Ti
Although since AMD is stuck at just above GTX 1080 perf it might be GTX 2080 = GTX 1080Ti

are aios a meme?

Thanks, I wasn't really sure about it myself. How often do people have issues with them?

pcpartpicker.com/list/xTwMZR

My friend tells me I now need case fans although my tower does have one internally. I was told here I should do a cheaper motherboard than a Z370, I found this but don't know if the rest of my build will go with it well.

I was looking at the gpd pocket because I wanted a small Windows laptop that I could carry around with me . Is there something better within the price range or cheaper that I should consider ? I would be using it mainly for light midi editing and music composition.

Attached: 415GywvbS3L._SY400_.jpg (400x400, 20K)

I think pretty much every AIO has reviews where it fails after a few months. You don't really see this with air coolers.

Gofundme,com/SerapimsComp

This actually does look a lot better, thanks.

This is /ourcase/ right?

pcpartpicker.com/product/Y6Crxr/fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tg

Wanted to know if /pcbg/ heard bad things about it.

Opinions on which of these monitors is a better choice?

amazon.ca/dp/B01F9UC20Q/?tag=pcp0f-20

amazon.ca/dp/B079GN819B/?tag=pcp0f-20

Using an i586k and 1070

I'd say yes

Be aware that that mobo might not be able to handle an i7 8700 at its boost clocks. Hardware Unboxed has a recent video showing that a low end MSI B360 supply enough power without thermal throttling originating from the VRMs.

I'm trying to find the cheapest mobo that could handle an upgrade to an i7 and I think it might be the ASRock Pro4
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157820&ignorebbr=1

Both are pretty crap, especially the 1080p one

pcpartpicker.com/list/pGcQZR
- although you can get a cheaper mobo, z370 mobos can use faster ram (3200mhz+), while b360/h310 can use only 2666mhz. b360s are still overpriced due to being just released, so $20 more for a better mobo is worth it
- picked cheaper 3200mhz ram
- msi 1060 gaming x is a good card but it's still overpriced compared to budget 1060s. certainly not worth $40 difference

>My friend tells me I now need case fans although my tower does have one internally
they're nice for better airflow (and therefore lower temps) but you don't need them, especially if you're not overclocking

Any advice on a decent monitor if I go into the low $500 range? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy an expensive screen?

Does anyone know of any of stands with wheels that will work with a full tower? I have one that I used for my mini tower , it is wiode enoguh for a full tower but not long enough

Attached: 71MNGaCsOFL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1335, 137K)

Fractal design cases are known to be flimsy.

>2.8 Ghz 8400 over 3.2 Ghz Ryzen 5 1600
valid, amd is better here

RX 580 would be better if they werent all bought up by miners

Literally according to those two images coffee lake and kaby lake stutter more than the 1800x, what are you even trying to prove here dumbass

For light gaming and video editing workstation, what would give better performance, a Ryzen 2400g APU with 16gb RAM or a Ryzen 1300 with 8gb RAM and gtx 1030 graphics card? Prices would be the same where I am.

Attached: HfctlxM.jpg (564x752, 54K)

>>what are boost clocks
>muh single core boost clocks will surely make up for the fact the other 5 cores are running under 3 Ghz

How does Intel always manage to be the best in the game? How can we stop them, bros?

more ram is better

This what I just got. Although I haven't done my build yet. It's pretty and I think everything will fit and have seen it a lot around these threads.

A Z370 is what I originaly had planned and with that series (B360/H310.) being so new I was scared to get one really, so I'll keep with that thanks. Appreciated the RAM change too.

I was between the Windforce and the Gaming X it came down to the hearing the MSI quieter and more of the status quo card but since I'm spending more on the mobo now I'll save that elsewhere w/ the GPU. Is my Hyper 212 still necessary/appropriate?

Attached: 1469562944717.jpg (480x360, 26K)

Hi guys.
I very rarely visit Jow Forums, so please forgive me if this post seems like shitpost.

I have decided to get myself a great gaming desktop. I've been dealing with laptops for a while now because I had to move around and always have my computer on me but I want a good reliable gaming desktop. Something that will at least last me 3 years.

Now I'm in this thread to ask you guys what the advantages of building your own PC is. I'm usually someone who pays for ease of life. So in general I'd rather buy a pre built PC and have some warranty and stuff. But I'm finding it hard deciding on a brand and PC.
So I am considering all options and building your own is one of them. So I'm wondering what are the advantages or building your own PC over just buying one.

I'm actually using a TV as a monitor. Is this just stupid and awful of me? I don't really have it in the budget to get one.

The response time is shit.

building your own is cheaper, you can get better parts since pre builts usually have shit mobos, ram, and psus, you have the manufacturer warranties, and more customization over software

when you build your own
>you know exactly what components go into your pc
>you have control over everything that goes into your pc, no having to deal with trash components or manufacturer bloatware
>you can put the best combinations of components into your pc (prebuilts usually cheap out on the mobo or the psu)
>if you're not a lazy/impatient fuck and can wait for bargains or sales it's still cheaper than buying prebuilt even with inflated gpu prices
>building a pc is fun

But is the time I commit and spend finding these deals on prices worth it?
How much do I actually save?

yes.
hundreds of dollars.

The thing is that I'd want one sooner than later as my laptop is being difficult.
If it's in the 500$ range then as I said I usually pay for ease of life. So I'm fine not saving the 500$ if it means I don't have to build the PC.

I don't get the psu thing. So I'll look into that.

from your responses here i can tell you don't want to and don't need to build your own pc.
Just buy prebuilt

That's exactly it. I don't want or need to build one. But I will if I end up with a superior product. But if it's all the same with just a price change then yea I won't bother.

if you have a bunch of disposable income and don't need good parts then go for it
just don't get a ryzen system since it will run like shit with the low end mobos and ram pre builts will give you

well it's what we've been telling you. You can get superior components and save hundreds on it, but you said you're willing to overpay by $500 to get it sooner then it depends on what's more important to you, getting it quicker or getting better stuff for a lower price?

Check out the MSI Optix

>valid, amd is better here
It's not valid at all. The i5 8400 has a 3.8GHz all core boost.

There's no stuttering shown in those graphs at all, idiot

Put Zen in consoles, happening in 2019 or so

>warranty
All the individual components have warranties
Custom build means just that: custom, tailored to your needs or wants

I FINALLY RECEIVED MY COMPONENTS AFTER 5 MONTHS OF WAITING

Attached: 1497056524681.jpg (952x960, 41K)

Is it worth sticking to 2x4gb ram for now and buy another 2x4 later when prices drop? Will they ever fucking drop?

pcpartpicker.com/list/PKcQZR

I put off building my own for years. And I'm overjoyed that I finally did build my own. It really is so very worth it, especially w/r/t to how much I saved and how my mine was more powerful or well balanced compared to the prebuilds. Even if a prebuild had a much stronger GPU or something it will have garbage at every level besides that and cost you more.

I am or I was basically illiterate with computers to lots of the terms and numbers thrown around here so I know it can be daunting and the prebuild seems easier and better but don't do it. This place is pretty damn helpful as far as Jow Forums goes and reddits PC building subreddits even more so.

Cool, yea I'm also hesitant because I just don't know this stuff so I'll have to do a lot of research.

Umm thanks for this. What exactly am I looking at? It's indeed a list of parts. Not hating, I'm just not sure what to do with this info. I'd assume I'd need more than 8GB memory for a gaming PC.

he made a budget gaming PC
he thinks you meant your budget is $500 and not that you are willing to spend $500 for making your life easier

Ah ok.

Thank you very much dude. But I'm actually willing to spend up to 3000$ for this. I just want to make something Great that will last me some time.

>But I'm actually willing to spend up to 3000$ for this.
oh boy. I get to have fun. :D

Still need some input/ideas on my planned build, and whether I can improve on it somehow.

>Current specs

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core CPU
Motherboard: MSI - B250M Pro-VD MiniATX LGA 1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video CardCase: Antec - Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Coolermaster - B500 v2 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

>Planned specs

pic related

Attached: 471973dac24e786fa2e6ac5130a94d56.png (1158x624, 63K)

Disregard the EVGA PSU, it'll be the same Coolermaster 500w.

get faster ram

Personally I'd just get a used i7 7700 and a GTX 1060. The swap to an R5 won't help you if you're still using that 1050Ti

8 cores/16 threads: pcpartpicker.com/list/fLFw6s

16 cores/32 threads:
pcpartpicker.com/list/q4ZnHh

>Kaby Lake
>i7 7700
>used
>GTX 1060 when I play nothing but CSGO

Opinion discarded.

Looking at getting an AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100. I don't play games but need a card to get more than 1 monitor going, do you think this thing will be loud?

Garbage price/perf, troll. 1800X is pointless unless you're video editing or streaming. That Vega 64 is the same price as a 1080Ti, which is significantly better. And all that money spent and you don't even have an m.2 SSD in the build

>Starts at £130
>2GB VRAM

Trash

Get a 1050Ti if you want a budget GPU, it's the best option.

>That Vega 64 is the same price as a 1080Ti, which is significantly better
but 1080Ti won't outperform Vega 64 for all time. Fine Wine my friend.
youtube.com/watch?v=uGXVMJztK4w

There exists an 8TB internal HD for less than 200$???

Thank you for these builds. I'll use them to do research. My first step should be researching RAM. My basic understanding of it being that the more memory you have the more your computer can handle multitasking and I often dual monitor.

But once again, thanks. I'm not used to getting helpful stuff from this website.

but yea, obviously I should do my own research.

>not providing your planned use in the first post
Garbage mind

Anyway if all you play is CSGO you don't get an AMD CPU, idiot. The i7 is for the socket you already have, so it's cheap and effective unlike your idiotic original proposal

I don't care to watch that nigger, but there's no way that Vega 64 will improve enough over time to match the 1080Ti on average. The gap is simply too large. In some specific games or engines it will (like idTech), but that's the exception, not the rule.

> need a card to get more than 1 monitor going
> Radeon Pro WX
Any GPU with a DisplayPort will do. I run three monitors on a HD6930, for example.

AMD graphics cards do improve over time, and it tends to be in line with their teraflops of compute performance.
Vega 64 has more teraflops of compute performance than a 1080 Ti. It WILL eventually outperform a 1080Ti
Vega 56 has more teraflops than the 1080.
The RX 580 has slightly less teraflops than a 1070.

Basic home usage. Maybe a bit of meme artwork, photo/video editing, maybe in the future some games.
Any suggestions? Ausfag, so prices are a bit shit.
Already have hard drives and what not. CPU & iGPU both beat my current, so I thought I might as well ignore a dedicated video card for now.
Power supply because I wanted a modular unit.
I have no intention to overclock, so just sticking to stock cooler for now.

I just feel as though I'm missing something.

Attached: I'm gay.png (995x753, 123K)

>I just feel as though I'm missing something.
storage. Like a hard drive and an SSD? Good luck installing windows without it.

As I said, I already have hard drives and what not. Probably could've said it better. Sorry, I've been up all night because I've had a shit ton of house work to deal with.

Should be good to go then. My only complaint is an mATX motherboard will look awkward in an ATX case.

I'm looking for something that will last me years, I don't want to limit myself with an i7 that's already outdated for a socket which is superseded by Coffee Lake.

AM4 Mobo + 1600 may get lower frames in CSGO, but it'll still be in the region of 200-300fps and the extra cores will be good for general use, rendering video, whatever. Plus the overclocking ability and not having to waste another $100 to get a K meme cpu.

The RX 580 will never, ever, ever be even close to as good as a 1070. You're delusional on all points

You'll want to OC the iGP if you play any games, but you can on the stock cooler. You can also get the 2200G

>that ram pricing
holy shit, thank god i got my pc in 2015

>The RX 580 will never, ever, ever be even close to as good as a 1070. You're delusional on all points
history disagrees with you. The GCN architecture both Polaris and Vega use has been KNOWN for that kind of shit. Watch the fucking video. GCN has been a thing since the HD 7000 series. There's historical precedent here.

Fuck, I didn't realise that.
Yeah, not a clue what's a good, cheaper board. MSI PC Mate? ASrock Pro4? Trying to keep it on the cheaper side because it isn't intended as anything super high end.
Yeah, might consider that in the future, the overclock, that is.
Mainly considering the 2400G because I'm currently on an i5 3330, so I didn't think it made much sense keeping the same core & thread count. I don't know, I might be tired. Or retarded.
Australia's typically always had shit pricing. My brother spent $360 on a 3200MHz 2x8GB kit only a few months ago, so I suppose it's coming down? Oh well, I've come to terms with the pricing here for the most part.

You're looking at the problem the wrong way

>history disagrees with you
History does not disagree with me, delusional retard. I had a 280X and I currently have an RX 470, I'm just not stupid enough to think that the RX 580 will improve by 40% over time.

>I had a 280X and I currently have an RX 470,
So you made a side-grade?

I'd look at the Asrock AB350 Pro 4. So long as you're not overclocking, it's fine. There's no LLC on the Pro 4. You have to step up to the Fatal1ty version for thay

Looking at it the wrong way how?
I'm on a G4560 and want to upgrade to the best CPU I can within my self-specified budget.
300euros is what I'm aiming for + the cost of the motherboard. If a 1600 gets me over 200fps in CSGO, that's what I'll get. 12 threads will be more than enough for everything else.

>So you made a side-grade?
No, the R9 280X is about like a GTX 4GB 960 and the RX 470 is about like a GTX 970. It's a whole tier upgrade, although I sold my 280X for $200 and bought the 470 for the same money, so I got it for free

>the best CPU I can within my self-specified budget.
That would be the i7 7700, for CSGO and most other games . Even if they have the same perf, you spend $200 on a 7700 and nearly $300 on a new mobo and an R5, so clearly the 7700 is a better deal

I hear the Hyper 212 EVO is hard to install for a first time builder. Is there a cooler that's easier for around the same price out there?