Are OLED TV's worth it or is it just a meme?

Are OLED TV's worth it or is it just a meme?

Attached: LED vs OLED.png (917x551, 546K)

they burn in

To the point of being unusable or just not worth the usual price tag these things get?

the latter

>Burn-in
>3 year lifespan
The only benefit is 0sec motion blur/pixel lag but that is irrelevant for TVs

For normal TV use? Not really. On a PC? Good chance yeah. Reviews have already done real world test cases and burn in isn't a big deal if you're just watching TV

This. The only thing people need are better VA panels (better viewing angles and color accuracy). Perhaps QLED can help with this. Perhaps Samsung or LG quit their 900:1 contrast crap and develop IPS (PLS) with 2000:1 contrast ratio. The first company to release a IPS tv/monitor with good contrast ratio and VA levels of black reproduction will outsell Organic Shitled

of course it isn't a big deal if you limit the use cases for it, but that's also why i am of the opinion that it's not worth it at the current prices

lol enjoy your 4 year lifespan

I mostly use my TV to play videojaimes, will UI elements get burn in the screen?

They look amazing but you can't use it as a monitor because burn in.

absolutely

Depends on whether you can live with whites turning yellow after a few years and with some permanent blots from burn-in. If you change your TV every 3 years and don't care about the money, it's worth it. But it's planned obsolescence.

What about phones with OLED screens?

Most people don't use their TVs to use a PC

They're smaller and burn in is easier to mitigate

But yes, they burn in too if you give them the chance. Especially noticeable if you use your phone for directions/maps for multiple hours a day, every day, at 75-100% brightness.
Eventually those static UI elements from the map app, or from the status bar, will burn in permanently.

oled looks good as a screen on devices

Attached: E39D413E-A334-4D33-B9D0-3D597C03E0B9.jpg (3264x2448, 977K)

Well I'm playing with the thought of getting myself the 55" LG 55EG9A7V, which goes for about 1,200,- EUR right now. So it is kinda cheap but not to the point where I can just say fuck it I'm getting this. I'm playing to hook it to my PC through HDMI and use it for movies and as a regular TV for about 3h/day. Close to no gaming shall be done on this one with the exception of watching streams sometimes. Based on this thread and various reviews I found online it should be okay, right? The image retention, particularly the permanent kind, should happen only with lots of static imagery which I can't see happening with movies. Decisions decisions.

You'll find that people often leave their TV guide on. I hope you like watching TV with some generic Verizon FIOS menu permanently overlayed on top of your content.

It isn't really a big deal with static UI elements burn in, since they're usually tiny.

I think it just depends on whether you're a color fag or not

Just grab a sony x900e on sale and wait a few more years for oled to improve.

If 1200 euro don't matter to you, get it.

*burns in*

I've been using an LG OLED TV for a year now, I can't go back now. Dad bought some top end Samsung and wanted me to see, first thing I noticed was the back light, then the grey black and finally the shitty colour.
OLED will ruin you, but it's worth it.