How the fuck do windows users manage to look after their home networks without SSH/SFTP...

How the fuck do windows users manage to look after their home networks without SSH/SFTP? Do they just copy files on memory sticks like cave men and go from one machine to the other? Do they use optical media? Buggy remote desktops? I just finished putting a bunch of torrents I downloaded on my Debian desktop to one of the several 2TB HDDs attached to my Mac Mini I have hooked up to my TV. I did this with a few commands while sitting on my sofa using my laptop running Xubuntu. Could I do something like that with Windows? Not trolling, genuinely wondering.

Attached: Connecting-Securely-to-AWS-EC2-Server-SSH-SFTP.png (848x422, 7K)

Samba, I'm guessing.

WSL

I'm not sure what file transfer has to do with "looking after" a home network, but yeah that's what SMB/CIFS is for

They actually just use RDP. Yes, for everything.

It's right there in the network tab of the file explorer. You see all your devices and drag&drop or better yet stream whatever you want. It's been working that way for the last 20 years. Can't get any simpler than that.

Absolutely disgusting.

Windows Remote Desktop, aka yuck

samba

theres command prompt or powershell or use linux subsystem in windows to have ssh/sftp

>be windows user
>want to administrate remotely
>RDP into the computer and then boot up powershell

Seriously what the fuck

Now you can do less retarded remote administration by setting up a domain, but this is a level of retard in itself if you just have a small network

samba, syncthing bitch

Oh and the remote administration is done retardedly; it's done by sending commands along with the fucking NTLM hash of the fucking domain admin

WHY

While SMB/CIFS does suck, that is what we use most of the time. I daily W7 and have a c:\shared folder with public read access on my laptop. If I go to someone's house, it makes things a bit quicker to share.

>it's done by sending commands along with the fucking NTLM hash of the fucking domain admin

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (800x800, 142K)

>windows laptop/desktop to linux server
i just use ftp, drag and drop

>windows laptop/desktop to windows server
SMB/NFS, drag and drop

>linux laptop/desktop to windows server
im not retarded enough to use linux as my daily driver

Could you use Samba to get and put files on a Mac, like in the OP example?

>windows laptop/desktop to linux server
A samba share is my main file share for my networks.

>windows laptop/desktop to windows server
I'm not retarded enough to use windows as a server

>linux laptop/desktop to windows server
I'm not retarded enough to use windows as a server

So using OPs example, you have a Windows laptop, and want to move a file from a different Windows computer on your network to a Mac, also on your network. Could you do that?

Using SMB or FTP

Wait, windows has native FTP support? I know it doesn't have SFTP, as that's based on SSH, but I didn't know it came with FTP.

I used to use USB sticks and copy them over like a cave man, now we have a NAS so we can share shit on there. I've tried sharing a folder and mapping it in the past and it doesn't fucking work.

user, you can't possibly be so ignorant to assume SSH/SFTP software doesn't exist on Windows, can you? You are aware that software can be installed on computers, even if it doesn't appear there out of the box, right?

windows network folders. just drag and drop. no need for silly commands.

he has a mac so you have to assume he's retarded

Yes, its an optional feature you need to turn on.

I can't vouch for it though, I only tested it a bit fairly early on in Win7's life and have not touched it since.

Attached: Screenshot (259).png (415x368, 14K)

RDP.
>hurr it's sucks
There are alternative options such as (((Teamviewer))), Splashtop, or heck even Steam in-home streaming (with VPN).
Samba or Webdav if you just want to copy file remotely.

>people seriously recommending that Flash-tier security hole called Samba

Lmao

Give it a long password and a weird user name and it should be fine. If unknown people are on your network, you've got bigger problems.

Is Teamviewer better than RDP?

Shared drives? How is this confusing so many people.

2 things

1: normal windows users dont need to worry about this shit to share files. As long as you're both on the same network and discoverable, you can share folders directly off your hard drive.

2: Use Filezilla for windows FTP client/server

linux tard trying so hard to pat himself on the back because he finally figured out an archaic solution to a simple problem. Not to mention, mac users can airdrop files to anyone nearby without even needing to be on the same network. Its fast as fuck and better than LAN based sharing because files are sent directly to the other machine instead of having to go through the router.

Try doing that on your unix machine ;)

yes. had FTP client since Windows 3.1 for workgroups, and FTP server since Windows NT Server. FTP server was optional for Windows clients since Windows 2000 Workstation

pscp you fucking retard

Attached: nosb.png (838x707, 651K)

I just dragon drop files lmao

You do realize nothing is stopping you from from running an ssh server on windows.

Also you can literally open other computers filesystems in your network and drag and drop your files.

You can do remote execution of powershell commands in powershell. There are very few things it won't let you do remotely.

SMB, CIFS, NFS, ISCSI

fucking retard, no one uses FTP to share files

Putty my dude

>he's not aware of local network storage protocols
Wew lad. Why in the actual fuck are you using SFTP on your own network?