USB 1.0

>USB 1.0
>USB 1.1
>USB 2.0
>USB 3.0
>USB 3.1 (retroactively Gen 1)
>USB 3.1 Gen 2
>USB 3.2

Attached: 1404869896857.jpg (500x667, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10719/usbif-publishes-audio-over-usb-typec-specifications
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

USB 2.0 masterace

I have to agree

>USB 1.1-3.2 effectively have 4 pins
>Size hasn't changed
>Only colour and speed have changed
>Literally any other USB variant has grown a tumor of extra contacts, size, and port shape
How did we manage this? How did we manage to make USB type B, B mini, and 3.0 Micro have more pins and changed port shape/size yet USB A has had absolutely no changes what so ever.

Like I can understand if we did some shit different but how did everything except C and A get so fucked up in the process

the U should be removed, it's just a lie at this point

>USB A has had absolutely no changes what so ever

Attached: pin.png (388x188, 29K)

funny, the connector stayed the same. just a different cable in some cases

>Mini-USB
>Micro-USB
>USB Type C
It's frightening how often online retailers get Mini and Micro confused. I refuse to take their word for it unless I see the port in a picture.

No major physical changes like the rest

USB C has been handled fucking awfully, there's so many proprietary implementations of it, like the Switch and Mac ones. Heck, even Android smartphones can have completely different wiring, one USB C to 3.5mm audio jack adapter won't work with another manufacturer's.

Why are non-Type C devices getting produced?

It is massively superior to micro mini and even type A in terms of secure and reliable connection

If you weren't a fucking autistic brainlet you'd check the pinout of those ports.
2.0 mini/micro have a pin extra for explicit master/slave assignment.
3.0 micro has the same extra pins as standard 3.0 A has over 2.0 A. The shape is actually that of a 2.0 micro A and B combined.
Fucking idiot gtfo of my Jow Forums

Attached: 1491153747565.jpg (960x960, 119K)

I don't get it. USB 2.0 was good for 99% of things even after a decade when it came out. USB 3.0 would've been the same way but for some reason they seem to be shitting out new USB versions every year despite almost nothing going to really be able to take advantage of them.

>USB 1.1-3.2 effectively have 4 pins
Actually there is extra pins in USB3 but they where able to keep the type A connector mostly the same as the large design allowed to to accommodate the extra pins while allowing older devices to still plug in. With small connectors like micro you can't reliably add extra pins to the same physical connector that also allows for backwards compatibility

You wouldn't believe how many brainlets I've encountered that thought the USB 3.0 micro ports on their Samsung phones were some proprietary connector and that they couldn't use 2.0 micro cables with them.

It's actually pretty impressive they all remained compatible over such a ling time and speed range.

If it were Apple you'd have a different connector every generation.

>The shape is actually that of a 2.0 micro A and B combined.

Ehm, no.

>Propose an universal serial connector standard
>Bloat it with a zillion different connectors supposedly to avoid connecting a printer or similar wrong

They are, though.
You can use both micro A and B cables on a 3.0 micro connector.

Attached: 220px-Types-usb_th1.svg.png (220x231, 7K)

Analog audio isn't part of the USB-C standard.
It's a hack some manufacturers added later because they desperately wanted to copy Apple in removing the headphone jack.

So it's only natural different manufacturers came up with different solutions.
It's the same with audio over DVI.
Even simple 3.5mm jacks for headsets (with microphones) aren't compatible between Apple and non-Apple.

>type a: 1 cm insertion depth
>type c: 2 mm insertion depth
>equally secure and reliable
Sure bub.

Attached: mushishi-1.jpg (937x809, 191K)

They are all the same except in different sizes.
All because of "muh thin", "muh extra thinn" and "muh super thinnnnn".

It's pretty clear that this is the most retarded port in history right? I mean I get why it exists, but Jesus Christ, look at it.

Attached: 798px-USB_3.0_Micro_B_plug.svg.png (798x232, 13K)

>Analog audio isn't part of the USB-C standard.
USB IF has a spec for it, both digital and analog audio, if only manufacturers would fucking follow it
anandtech.com/show/10719/usbif-publishes-audio-over-usb-typec-specifications

The size you dingus. Type A allows more pins than other variants.
Did you ever saw a Lightning Connector? It have 8 pin, do you think all 8 pins are actually used in a 2.0 or for charging? No, they are there for future proof, thats what Type A does. Thats how many other types of connections does.

I really hope Type-C doesn't become standard on non-mobile stuff due to thinshit-loving normies.

>Universal Serial Bus
>12 different fucking shaped ports
What the fuck happened?

I don't get what's so hard about keeping the regular rectangle usb port and maybe usb C for smaller things. Everything else can fuck off.

Women in tech happened

This plug has always struck me as an abomination. It just looks completely fucking retarded. It's as if the common USB plug wasn't enough and they only had 15 minutes to come up with a design for a new one that would work.
Fuck's sake mate.

/thread

If you think that's cancer, then go ahead and look oat Wi-Fi standards.

But Nintendo has always done that. Most console manufacturers make their own ports to help make it difficult to emulate.

i assume it's to delay people in the brief moment it takes to examine the shape to let them know there is a right and wrong way to plug it in.

explain

No, thats fake news and you know it. Nintendo used an in house cable design so that you'd have to buy a new one if the one bundled in broke, they could of always used power only USB ports. Having proprietary ports doesn't even make emulation harder anyway.

USB 3 was a mistake

usb c is the superior format you just wont realize that until iphone uses it

Introduces interference with wireless solutions like Bluetooth

>>USB 3.1 (retroactively Gen 1)
>>USB 3.1 Gen 2
>>USB 3.2

this is due to letting mobo vendors (sitting on their huge stockpiles of 5 Gb usb 3.1/whatever boards) belong to the USB standards group.
I'm sure the retail/channel folks didn't fight too hard either.

>usb 2.0
>Introduces interference with wireless solutions like Bluetooth
Retard, USB 2.0 doesn't operate at high enough frequency to fuck with Bluetooth

I meant to reply to 3.0

>universal
False. It does not work with all devices
>Serial
False. You cannot pour milk on it and eat it.
>Bus
False. It does not pick me up in the morning to take me to school.

2.0 is the fucking bane of my existence. Dozens of times slower than 3.0, kept everywhere for legacy reasons for fuck knows why

You forgot
>>USB 1.1 aka USB 2.0 FULL SPEED
>>USB 2.0 High Speed

Hmm, USB 2.0 (480 Megabit max), USB 1 (12 Megabit max), USB 3.0 (5Gbps) Yet your lan speed is only 1Gbps and HDD reg drives can hit data transfers that push 1.5 Gbps (Sata 1) bus to the limit To say nothing of the un tapped Sata 2 (3.0 Gbps and Sata 3 (6 Gbps). Seems the weak link anymore is your Network Card. How many consumer affordable 10 Gbps devices again?, Oh wait, there is none, unless you buy 2nd hand Enterprise grade stuff on E-Bay for still pricey sum once you add the nics, switch, and cables

>It does not pick me up in the morning to take me to school.
Holy fuckng underage.

>Seems the weak link anymore is your Network Card
For 99.9% percent of people a standard 1Gb NIC is not a bottleneck as not many people have WAN speeds close to that. The only people who feel 1Gb is a bottleneck are the ones with big NAS systems where 1Gb is very limiting.
>How many consumer affordable 10 Gbps devices again?
There are few but only the few as most consumers just don't have a use for 10Gb NICs so there is no reason to mass produce 10Gb chipsets or cards so they can be cheap. Those who want 10Gb are either willing to pay the price premium or don't mind retired server equipment

"My hole is better than yours"

because really, what needs 3 speed?
external storage, ok
after that... 4k webcam

beyond that almost anything else would be ok at usb1 specs, but 2 fully superseded one shortly after introduction due to some things genuinely needing some more speed, 3 is only overtaking 2 because the connector is damn near the same and backwards compatible so fuck it.

On the other hand we've had consumer NAS devices for over a decade. There's a discrepancy here.

They should've just made all the later versions of 3 type-c only. That way manufacturers would not only be incentivized to switch on their peripherals but also include more than one on their computer products.

Hey, it charges my phone 4x faster than a regular micro usb.

USB 1.1 was usable
USB 2.0 aged like fine wine
USB 3.0 should've never happened
USB 3.1 and 3.2 was the attempt to make everyone forget about the mess.

>USB 3.0 should've never happened
Why?

And how duriable is it? That and type c are trash from that alone

> USB 3.0 should've never happened
You're mum shuld have naver happened, faggot.

Are those reality shows real, or scripted?

>>type c: 2 mm insertion depth
Are you retarded?

Attached: images (2).jpg (443x332, 14K)