Sleeper Battlestations

What does Jow Forums think of sleeper builds/battlestations? I am interested in getting into it and want to know if anyone has a setup similar to pic related. Is it hard to use an old pc case for a modern computer?

More images in the imgur link. imgur.com/a/NVPZI

Attached: i9VxnJW.jpg (3168x2286, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/zkuBu9d
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5qewph/refurbished_and_old_xbox_development_kit_and_made/
youtube.com/watch?v=sCRG5Roxe2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dumb and pointless, IMO.
Either use custom cases or use the old hardware. Sleepers are just hipster tier shit.

What you do when you're unemployed and have time to kill on something you can only show off on Jow Forums or /vr/. Forget about it

It's only hard with Pre-1997 cases as most of them use the AT standard instead of ATX (see pic). AT ones are the most fun looking ones though, many of them had the 7-segment displays and turbo buttons. They require dremel-ing out the back so the motherboard's ports are accessible.

Attached: back.jpg (2430x890, 596K)

Attached: macsshwib.jpg (3264x2448, 1.7M)

Im trying to find a matching case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

I prefer them, modern cases just dont look good to me

Fuck, Its so hard.

Dumb terminals aren't sleepers.

I think they're fun

It's soyboy crap.

Rate my sleeper build!

Attached: 0cf4260a41984b56a7836236221217a0.jpg (1152x1536, 261K)

>soyboy
underage spotted

>Soyboy damage control

Attached: nc.jpg (800x800, 29K)

Attached: 14316948_342730636067622_5847181421379374969_n.jpg (528x960, 35K)

Attached: 26025831_574164389590911_3838236208949433847_o.jpg (1152x2048, 421K)

has this inside, 1950x threadripper, also has IBM Model M keyboard, and a Microsoft wheelmouse USB for Unreal 4 and DOOM

Attached: 20171228_162250.jpg (747x1328, 351K)

What is the story behind this again?

Extremly rare xbox or something, some asshole tore out all the origanal parts and replaced them. And posted it on reddit

What was it before?

That WAS a Microsoft Dev PC for the original Xbox. It had the special software required to run Xbox games on Pc hardware.
They’ve been hunted down by Microsoft for years because they don’t want people to run their Xbox games on PC.
This guy found one, the holy grail to Xbox enthusiasts, and gutted it, wiped the HDD, for his sleeper build.

It’s kinda like finding a one-off Ferrari and having it riced out like your average shitty Honda accord

Excessively rare Xbox devkit that could have massively helped out with Xbox emulation. Faggot reused the original hard drive after formatting it too.

I did the opposite.
2002-2004 hardware inside a new case.
I’m thinking about replacing it with a phanteks enthoo evolve itx

Attached: 7143915D-4714-42DF-BE34-66798BD14625.jpg (4032x3024, 2.03M)

This is the stupidest thing I've seen on Jow Forums in a fair while

Side note, this case was 10$ on Newegg with a sale + MIR
And it’s really not that bad, I think linussextips did a video on cheap cases and talked about this one.
Besides that support panel on the right side it’s Ok

Attached: 30B61C07-29A8-451B-BE2D-BE6F4712EE06.jpg (4032x3024, 1.86M)

Does this count as sleeper?

Attached: IMG_20180408_235231.jpg (2560x1920, 1.1M)

Hehehehehehe

Empty case, it was a standard ATX case nothing special

I have an identical version of it with a different front panel that was AT and it houses a P3 1ghz retro build

Redditor scraps a shitty og xbox dev kit for a case and posts it expecting internet points. Instead of praise idiots lambast him for ruining rare shit, mostly because they thought said shit could have helped with emulation development, since it used normal components. Sadly for them they were wrong for reasons i can't be bothered to remember.

What is a sleeper?

El Computo

Attached: 71a7lbbbw5L._SX355_[1].jpg (355x272, 14K)

I remember discovering that Green Ham Gaming dude a few years ago and thought it'd be cool to create a nostalgic Windows XP PC with a P4 CPU, a gig or so of ram, GeForce FX 5000 series card and an IDE hard drive

Xbox alpha dev kit, one of only 50 ever made, most of which were lost in a flood. He thought the HDD was empty so he reformatted it, while it was actually using a file system Windows cannot read.

To add insult to injury the pc he built was worth less than half the original dev kit.

>Intel® Core™ i3-7100T Processor (3M Cache, 3.40 GHz)
>MSI GTX 1050ti
>Gigabyte H110M-A
>8 gb DDR4
>imgur.com/zkuBu9d

king of Jow Forums, is that you?

Attached: 1464360243519.gif (250x263, 213K)

>What does Jow Forums think of sleeper builds/battlestations?
OP image is quite nice. I like it. Actually imo there's a lot going on in that picture for me to like (monitor, keyboard, speakers, boombox, the cleanliness, and etc.)
I think it could use a pen plotter, and a better set of cameras though.

>Sleeper Battlestations
Um, okay.

Attached: sleeper.jpg (500x375, 25K)

Eyy

(I’m broke down at a loves because of the def filter failing, send help, pls, CRE sucks)

Attached: DE47B868-421A-4447-AD9A-C929C44FCA80.jpg (4032x3024, 1.92M)

I hope those stains are on the outside of that windsheild user.

Always wanted to try making one, but it just seems impractical from a financial point of view.

Attached: Macintosh Plus.jpg (3888x2588, 2.07M)

Attached: Car-Northern-SKy-cabin.jpg (465x304, 20K)

Attached: Technology-Onboard-700x550.jpg (700x550, 90K)

Attached: Classic-Viewliner-Bedroom-20-With-bedroom-colors-with-Viewliner-Bedroom.jpg (1024x768, 129K)

Attached: trucksleepercab.jpg (736x566, 107K)

Attached: header classe_voitures_lits.jpg (1920x370, 242K)

An interesting project to work on, and a funky novelty to use, but that's about it. There's really no practical advantage to new hardware in an old case.

If it counts, I have an NES case that I built a Raspberry Pi into for use as a general media player and console emulator.

Attached: nes.jpg (1000x750, 143K)

Attached: 2018.03.22 - 1986 - Aliens--01:30:00 [0003].png (1280x688, 723K)

it should hava word "trump" written at top of it's front panel

And an nVidia card so it catches fire.

It's a shame you can't get away from CRT.
Has anyone painted an IPS case beige?

Attached: 05112610.jpg (1230x917, 317K)

Please don't remind me.

I'd love to have a modern OS with that aesthetic.

fpbp

that looks almost comfy.

t.mad grandpa wants his tech to stay in his time

Only thing I don't like about sleepers is that the majority of people who make them never bother preserving the original components. It's even worse when people do them with cases that clearly don't support their form factor so they do shit like hack away at the internals, like one guy took an IBM case and grafted on some sort of weirdo extended top just because he wanted to use a huge graphics card. Really hate that kind of shit because it spits in the face of preservation, the main reason why people seek out old tech like these cases in the first place.

Xbox Dev Kit
That guy is a redditor who decided to scrap all the internals, wipe the hard drive, and then shove in really garbage components into it
Yet another reason why sleeperfags are the worst Jow Forums-related hipsters

Dude I can see your PSU sag like a grandma's tits, you should've welded in a support railing when you had the chance

>some guy did some thing to his personal property
It's just like plebbit to fag out about this.

sleeper builds are for retarded techtubers. literally autism tier
"but it won't get stolen at a hotel or convention!"
if you're not at your own house, then bring a laptop. only retards bring full PC's on holiday with them.

This thread is stupid and OP is retarded as fuck.
Am assively expensive workstation build from 20 years ago, was still a massively expensive workstation setup.
Pic related didn't turn into a 'Sleeper' because it's 28 years old.

Attached: 'sleeper'.jpg (1024x529, 101K)

we're not forcing you to be here, you know.
you can just GTFO if you prefer.

in case someone still wonders
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5qewph/refurbished_and_old_xbox_development_kit_and_made/

>tfw computers that aren't /v/ermin cancer are now called "sleeper"

Attached: 1403837987365.png (400x389, 48K)

I don't think you get it - that guy's PC is retrofit with stuff from last year. He just bought a CRT and has visual mods on his OS

>Extremly rare
Wrong.

>holy grail to Xbox enthusiasts
Nonsense.

>idiots lambast him for ruining rare shit, mostly because they thought said shit could have helped with emulation development, since it used normal components
Correct.

Thousands of Xbox dev kits were made and there was nothing new to be learned from this kit. The best case would have been the source code for for one game.
The only redeemable quality of this rare alpha dev kit is the looks. Any game developer had access to the preinstalled software.

>/v/ermin cancer
>OP pic literally has steam opened up right in the center of the screen

Attached: file.png (221x250, 25K)

Even worse.

Better than a PC that looks like a fucking car, anti freeze included

Attached: tuning-1.jpg (448x336, 53K)

Preserving original components can be a bit of a moot point in some instances. If literally all you've got is the case, for instance, there's no original innards left to sperg out over preserving. Or if the innards are there but in such poor condition they're unsalvageable. Sure people do some stupid shit when they've got parts that won't properly fit in the old case, and maybe in some of those instances they're wrecking something of value. There are certainly some old and unusual platforms that I wouldn't want to see hacked to bits just to have some generic PC bits jammed in them.

But most of the people who want to make a sleeper are just using old generic PC junk anyway. It doesn't matter if this, that, or the other beige box gets cut up. That occasionally someone wrecks a notable case isn't really reason enough to hate the idea as a whole, and I can guarantee more notable machines have been simply scrapped or cannibalised for parts than "ruined" by modifications to them being visible when someone made a sleeper out of them. Might as well be getting angry at everyone who ever disposed of an old computer.

Goddamn that looks comfy

Here's the updated version with two GTX 480's, please use it in the future.

Attached: wanha.png (394x664, 517K)

How do you get windows 10 to look like that?

>Posted about building a sleeper few months ago
>Got saged and downboated to hell
>Realized how sleeper is a stupid aesthetic
>Now retro is a meme of kids born after 9/11 and we get a bakers dozen of these threads daily
Thanks linus.

youtube.com/watch?v=sCRG5Roxe2I

retro is always a meme. In every aspect of life

thanks

Those dumb young kids liking stuff I used to like!