MATE?

People talk about KDE, XFCE, and Gnome here mostly but does anyone use MATE? Currently running Ubunte MATE on my T430s and it seems to be faster then Debian KDE although I do love KDE.

What you guys think about MATE?

Attached: Yerba-Mate-89366372.jpg (640x427, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7DykfOtUqlk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love mate. It's all I use.

They introduced MATE on our research cluster recently, and ditched GNOME. Can't say it feels different, but all we do is have a terminal on the right, and EMACS on the left hand side of the screen.

Mate is Gnome done right. Fucking Gnome devs and their shitty Gnome3.

MATE is pretty fucking good.
I'm using Plasma, but Mate is a tough contender.

If I ever go back to GTK, it's either Budgie (it's partially going QT, but will still be using GTK programs) or MATE.

MATE looked appealing to me but it wouldn't install properly and when I got it to it wouldn't detect my laptop's keyboard or trackpad/point so I switched to xfce and everything worked flawlessly. I have a thinkpad, too.

Weird, XFCE was good on my thinkpad but it was impossible to get the sound buttons, and mute buttons to work. Yes I'm a retard

MATE is the best, I would be hating life if I had to use any other DE, just let everyone torture themselves with XFCE or whatever no-feature minimalist DE people use

It works with x2go, so it's good.

how do you say mate? do you say it like the brits?

MAH-TEH

>separate terminal window while using emacs
???

MATE IS LOVE MATE IS LIFE

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-04-09 00-11-30.png (1680x1050, 633K)

MATE and stock KDE (tried plasma) are the only DEs I haven't tried yet.

is MATE closer to Gnome or XFCE in terms of heaviness?

mate is a fork of gnome2. It is much lighter than gnome3. A lot heavier than xfce

Nas ganas de unos matthew mcconaughey

>A lot heavier than xfce

Is it really a lot?
I remember seeing some graphs where they were quite similar (XFCE still used less, yes, but not that much).
And MATE is already ported to GTK3, don't how much it affects the resource usage.

I like Cinnamon better. I use it on Debian. It's fast, it's light, it's user friendly, and it has all the features I need pretty much out of the box.

It's just "Mate", like "Gate". They wanted it to be "Ma-Tay", but they were retarded and didn't include the proper accent for that on the "e". So it's just "Mate". Kind of the same shit as Gnome and Gif.

I used MATE for a really long time after Gnome 3 was released. I'm on KDE now but if the devs port to Wayland I may look at it again.

MATE is simply XFCE but better in every conceivable way

>They wanted it to be "Ma-Tay", but they were retarded and didn't include the proper accent for that on the "e".

You are the retard here.
It's named after the spanish word mate, so there's no accent.

you are fucking retarded

Mutiny is the best thing ever.

I'm not your mate, and we're speaking English here. I don't care what they call it in their Spanish translation, In English we use English rules and pronunciation,

WEED LMAO DUDEEEEE

>In English we use English rules and pronunciation
not if the word isn't an English word, you fucking dumb piece of shit

haha fuck me its tea

yeh been using m8 for five years straight m8
so solid, works well in un-optimised hardware.

>What you guys think about MATE?

si tu novia te dejo, tomate un mate y olvidate.

Jej, is that an actual saying in SA?

Mr Burguerland attacks again.

yes but with wine instead of mate

>[Square Brackets Around Taskbar Items]
absolutely hideous, it's funny because it's hardcoded so you can't disable it without reconpiling

youtube.com/watch?v=7DykfOtUqlk

Attached: cape-fear-.jpg (1600x900, 180K)

how the fuck do you pronounce "noir" then, you cunt? noy-ruh? fucking amerifats think their language isn't a mishmash of random borrowed words and want to pronounce it their way.

Attached: 081.jpg (428x428, 22K)

quechua

DEs are garbage mate, they only complicate things, LXDE is best because it keeps things simple [basically just a panel and a FM]

A hatchet is simpler than a chainsaw but the latter will help you cut down trees faster.

You might mean this graph it was actually lighter.

Attached: cmp-all4.png (698x690, 32K)

nice unlabelled graph

some retards don't know how to use emacs properly

the best is what i like

Attached: loll.jpg (165x115, 6K)

>Percentage of fanboy cancer by DE

Attached: 1506931357068.gif (480x479, 263K)

not a fair comparison

that pic is true for murica [but you don't hear about the not rich people]

Pretty much a 1 to 1 analogy. Both are are tools and you can make the argument that the features offered by the chainsaw are bloat(certainly requires more energy than a hatchet) and even make the process of cutting down a tree more dangerous(DE's are more prone to bugs than basic WM's) but at the same time using a hatchet is a pain in the ass and requires both more time and strength(knowledge) to accomplish the same task.

Please explain
I don't have anything against mate but what makes mate superior to XFCE. It looks so fucking similar if configured the same way, yet XFCE is lighter.

You know MATE is basically GNOME 2 ported to GTK3, right?

That's gotta be outdated. I refuse to believe gnome3 is lighter than kde.

I want to like MATE, but it keeps screwing with me.
It has broken a couple of times my xorg config, and after a while my 2 mouse button stopped working.
I dont really know if it's really a mate issue, but i had never had this kind of problems since i changed to xfce (mint if both cases)

I stopped using Mate for awhile because it hit a rough patch, I think it was when it was first going to GTK3. I gave it another chance recently though and it's fine again.

>1 to 1 analogy
not at all

lxde does not lack real functionality compared to gnome, both will cut your tree, however lxde performs better and applies to more trees

LXDE hasn't even received an update this year, it hasn't received an update to its core functionality since 2016. I am disinclined to believe your assertion that it doesn't lack functionality compared to Gnome and I don't even like Gnome.

Lxde is in a weird position. For really little more overhead you can use xfce or mate. If you absolutelly want to keep it small you can go to a WM.

It may be silly, but I love that xfce (terminal) has the drop-terminal option by default and i dont have to install some extra terminal emulator for it.

well gnome just received one and it is a UI regression and the broken performance continues to be broken where lxde has no such problem

thing is those add / use their own settings for fonts and who knows what, lxde uses the default ones directly .gtkrc settings.ini fontconfig etc
it's barely a de really, more like a few tools connected by a session afai understand

i think lxde is receiving bugfixes only, they moved to lxqt

>yet XFCE is lighter
no it's not