/sqt/

The old SQT is dying and nobody else made a new one, so now you all get to stare at my HDD problem. Tl;dr: has been working perfectly for a year or two, today it shows up empty, an error scan instantly brought up 100% red, and then I check the SMART and got this. It's still plugged in and detected by the OS and everything, though. What the fuck gives? Does it mean I should go wiggle the sata cable or something and it'll be fine, or does it just mean it's so dead it can't even give diagnostics anymore?

Attached: HDTune_2018-04-09_01-11-15.png (566x459, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HP-W2007-20-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B000OK2X6K
amazon.com/HP-23-8-inch-Adjustment-Speakers-VH240a/dp/B072M34RQC
seagaterescue.com
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
lmgtfy.com/?q=symlink
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which m.2 SSD should I buy? I just want a 64GB one for my home server, but it seems like they're all cheaper junk ones. I also need a 2TB one for my desktop. Which one to get?

Attached: 1513881697020.png (1440x1080, 1.47M)

Does CPU automatically (on hardware level) use cache, or OS does this?

What drive? Seagate had some problems with firmware that shits itself up after some time.
And SMART thing is firmware stuff.
Also try checking it under GNU/Linux, maybe it is PajeetNT does something.

> I just want a 64GB one for my home server, but it seems like they're all cheaper junk ones.
Cheaper junk SSD should easily do the job on a Linux server.

> I also need a 2TB one for my desktop. Which one to get?
Sounds kinda unlikely that you need a 2TB SSD. Probably better consider what actually needs to be on some 256-512GB SSD or whatever and move the rest to a 10TB HDD before long.

But eh, I'd go with Samsung or Corsair if I really needed a 2TB SSD.

yes, hence the "64MB cache" listed on CPUs.

OS caches stuff too, but that's a completely different cache altogether

Yeah pretty sure it's a Seagate. If that's the problem, can I make it spit out the files on it? Or maybe even get it back into working order? Or is that as good as dead

Not exactly hardware level, but it'll definitely be handled below the OS, in microcode and firmware.

>Not exactly hardware level, but it'll definitely be handled below the OS, in microcode and firmware.
Okay.

I have a old A4-3320M with 4GB RAM i want to turn into a dedicated Minecraft server, how good would it work?

Is it true that getting a refurbiished dell and putting a 950 ti in it really make it able to run current gen games? I just think that's a bamboozling being put on me

Could work. Depends on whether it or mods running on it crap out though.

>950Ti
You are 4 years old behind user.

Only if it has a 2nd gen I5 or better, and you would need a GTX 1050Ti because GTX 950Ti uses 95W so it cant be powered by the PCIe slot alone.

Alright, thank

What music player do you guys use for PC and/or Android? Spotify is missing some stuff i cant live without

Vanilla, 4-7 people tops.
Would HDD speed affect performance?

What's a good cheap machine for IP TV?
My parents want to switch to it instead of cable since it's cheaper to get fast internet. I know Raspberry Pis can run Kodi but the provider they're looking at (setvnow.com) only provides an Android APK for Kodi. I'd prefer to use a Pi since I'm proficient with Linux but if there's a better alternative I'd be willing to try it.

Attached: 1520623560166.jpg (632x768, 75K)

200$ new laptop. It is power efficient (5W CPU) and yet powerful enough. And comes with familiar Windows 10.

Data should be there, yes.
Seagate has a kinda-cheap service to restore them at their lab. Like $30 or something, pretty affordable.
I don't think you can do shit by yourself, tho. But maybe you can try seatools.

How do I get volume quieter than the lowest volume setting without muting it?I'm running Android on a xiaomi redmi note 3

4gb of ram is more then enough for 10 people with NO MODS. Like all 10 people could be chunk loading in 10 different locations on the map, and you wont even have a hiccup

Idk, on MTK chipsets you could do it via service menu.

> at their lab
Is that available in the UK?

If not I might as well get a new drive, it was 2TB so not a huge loss. Giving up the data would be annoying though, I had a bunch of completely random shit on there I won't be able to just collect again. Here's hoping

So trying to test tcpdump on one of my interfaces. Trying to send custom packets and want to try and capture them. Wasn't seeing them on tcpdump however so I tried a ping on the interface as well and got nothing

Tcpdump command is
Tcpdump -i interface -w file

And pinging with
Ping -I interface Google

Also running my program which should be sending packets on that interface. It's not popping errors and it's returning the correct values.

And idea what's up / how I can capture these things?

Well a machine with a dedicated display, keyboard, touchpad, disk drive, probably webcam, speakers, etc. seems like overkill. Especially Windows 10. They don't need forced system updates/restarts or security notifications while watching TV.
I feel like I should be able to rig something up that's cheaper but I'll keep that in mind.

What determines whether a monitor can display bright, bold colors?

I'd been using this:
amazon.com/HP-W2007-20-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B000OK2X6K

For more than a decade now, and for all its faults I always loved the colors.

I switched to this:
amazon.com/HP-23-8-inch-Adjustment-Speakers-VH240a/dp/B072M34RQC

And despite all its improvements the colors look dull and washed out. I figured going from an old TN to a relatively new IPS would make everything more colorful, not less.

My guess is it has something to do with either brightness or matte/glossy, but I'd like to know for sure before ordering a new monitor.

>Firefox shits the bed and recaptcha stops working as a result
>reset it, install addons again
>now I don't even have to complete the captcha before posting, and this has been going on since I reinstalled all my stuff
I remember I ALWAYS had to complete CAPTCHA twice to even post, even when I successfully completed it. Should I be worried?

>IPS
Found your problem right there

Aren't IPS panels supposed to be better for color? Just nabbed this off Google Images, but that seemed to be the consensus elsewhere.

Attached: file.png (900x515, 821K)

C-x C-f /sudo::/some/file
Opening FTP connection to sudo...
(hangs indefinitely)

Is there any way to open a local file with sudo from inside emacs?

Attached: IDKWTFIGO.jpg (351x359, 41K)

Don't know.
seagaterescue.com

Alright, what does one do when a old (Iphone 4s) enters in a "Iphone is disabled, connect to itunes).
No, im not jamal asking how remove a cloud account, just what i am supposed to do here.

Does using the baclground feature on newpipe to play videos aa only audio use less data than playing the video normally?

How bad would I be fucking up if I went with one of these routers? I just moved into a new studio apartment (one room and a bathroom) and they didn't have a router pre-installed.
Audacious on PC, Samsung music player on Android. I don't expect anything fancy out of my music players however.

Attached: Screenshot_20180408_192356.png (1091x930, 213K)

Just saw this post I'm not OP of that thread, but I want to ask about that.

I'm using Manjaro with KDE Plasma, what should I do to get the decent KDE file picker?
The GTK one sucks balls.

Attached: fuckthisshit.png (1130x700, 43K)

Sometimes a good TN can be better than a shit IPS. I'd normally google the model you're interested in for in depth forum reviews of their color before buying. You might also be used to oversaturated colors rather than more realistic ones (think Samsung Phones).

You can configure a lot of settings in a monitor through calibration, although doing an objective, well rounded calibration without a physical calibrator is tricky and unreliable. I'd try the mode settings on the monitor itself and see if any of them suit your preference better.

Also check if the Input range is set to limited or full on your GPU. It may be called something different for different brands.

Is there any way to get rid of the Google Assistant in favor of Google's Now? The former breaks comparability with a lot of my apps.

Did something change with Jow Forums native extension or cookies? My browser (pale moon) is currently commiting sudoku randomly when I try to Post, but this only started happening this evening.

What PDF reader do you guys use?

>How bad would I be fucking up if I went with one of these routers?
How the fuck is this your list in the first place? Varying price points and capabilities are listed.

Literally just searched "router" in Amazon.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Wireless N is sufficient for almost anything, and you don't need a lot of crazy ass features. Also make sure you don't need a modem too.

Whats the cheapest laptop with an i9?

A Xeon laptop.

I literally do not understand the difference between "localhost" , 192.168.0.X and 127.0.0.1. plz help

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (250x250, 9K)

Look up what alias means

Definitely should've read more reviews ahead of time, I was a bit overeager and took an early recommendation. I hadn't considered oversaturation, I'll need to look around for other monitors to see if my old one was the exception rather than the rule. If that ends up being the case, though, could I adjust my search and look for a monitor with something like generous saturation adjustments?

I've tried calibration, doesn't seem to be anything amiss. The monitor's settings are rather limited, I rose the contrast but it didn't help much. GPU's same as it ever was, though I may shop around for a stronger card soon.

My typing speed has gotten much lower over the past year and I don't know why. I did switch from mx reds to blues but it feels more like I'm having trouble getting words into the keyboard. Like I know the word but my fingers won't type it, or that there's a disconnect between my left and right fingers. Spelling mistakes are getting more and more common. Am I dying of some sort of brain tumour, could it be the new keyboard or my hand/wrist positioning or should I just start practicing more?

why do mouth fedora threads get deleted here in Jow Forums?

What are some important things to remember for technical / whiteboard job interviews?

When I'm on Jow Forums.org, how do I get 4chanX to link to 4chanX catalog instead of Jow Forums's regular catalog?

i.e. clicking on "technology" currently leads to:
I want it to lead to
>>

Attached: x.png (768x349, 68K)

>GPU's same as it ever was
That's my point. If you didn't switch to Full after you bought the IPS, it's probably still set to Limited.

Like I said, calibration is generally shit without buying the physical tool. You can probably get an app from HP for configuring the monitor remotely, with slightly more fine tuned control than the on-monitor buttons. Make sure you try all the predefined profiles.

There's also GPU based color controls for things like vibrance.

Jow Forums autolinked stuff. See pic for what I was trying to post.

i.e. clicking on "technology" currently leads to:
I want it to lead to
>>

Attached: post.png (579x248, 22K)

if my house's ip is XX.YY.ZZ.QQ, and I ping this up from within the network. Would my router catch that the IP is the same IP as itself and automatically route it back to itself?

Hey Jow Forums, today I fucked up. I accidentally deleted the boot partitions for Linux and Winblows (dual boot), now I cannot boot into anything. What do

Run Testdisk from another computer to the HDD in question to recover the partitions.

libreoffice

fuck that reply was fast, I expected to wait at least 30min for someone to respond, if this shit works ur a "linux expert"
>go to pc/mac repair store
>tell neckbeard what happened
>>you need to be a looniks expert to fix that user

You dont, you literally press enter twice in Testdisk to recover all deleted partitions.

Now that Flash is dead (the software too, not just the player) what do people use to make animations and games (think newgrounds and miniclip)? I see Flash got rebranded to 'Adobe Animate' - is it any good?

Attached: Flash-Player-Adobe.png (750x750, 205K)

Still flash.

apache or nginx??
Whats good? whats fast? whats the difference

what is the white unscrewable block at the rear of the panel called and it does it matter if i remove it? it's just in the way.

nginx, though you'll find more instructions online for apache
look up benchmarks online for what's faster or what the difference is

what is the w.hite unscrewable block at the rear of t.he panel called and it does it matter if i remove it? it's .just in the w.ay.

Attached: New Bitmap Image.jpg (960x428, 124K)

Why is it that some of my shows (almost entirely .mkv files) show up in explorer like above in pic, yet some stuff I've downloaded refuses to grab a screenshot from the video for the icon?
Usually when I load up a folder for the first time it loads the screencap for each file, but lately it stopped doing that for some things I've downloaded off MEGA.

Attached: Capture.jpg (677x835, 177K)

Can I get an electrical engineering degree online?

Attached: ba8ae152b81d32f8223bf7f9e23f1b5cf14972385524a4b5ecbcca0d7881a965.jpg (533x700, 93K)

zathura
Highly configurable and reads other documents types as well

Showing hidden files and deleting thumbs.db may force it to remake thumbnails. It may also be considered a protected system file depending on which windows you're using.

I'd call it a shield for the rear I/O ports.
How is it screwed in? If it's under warranty and they are tamper proof screws, I probably wouldn't.

poor wording on my part, tried to say it could be unscrewed. yeah I/O shield sounds right. i already have one on the back panel though, seems like overkill, so im taking it off.

says partitions cant be recovered fuck

A screenshot would help.

I have a hard time understanding channels in Go
Isn't basically just a global variable ?

Why can't Windows phone run an android emulator to emulate the apps that it lacks?

t. lover of metro design

Attached: 1516917002039.png (500x487, 409K)

Patents.
Same reason why we cant emulate x86 without intel chimping out.

Attached: testdisk-screenshot.png (642x359, 30K)

no patents for windows 10 to emulate android apps?

127.0.0.1 and localhost are your best friends, they will always answer you in less than 1ms (doesn't matter if your connected to anything or not.) And 192.168.0.x is just your gateway that connects you to your router and then the rest of the world, nothing special

Why are they shilling Cloudflare's DNS so fucking much? Your ISP can see who you made a connection with through IP.

fellow pc gamers how do i stop obsessing about software issues?

i have actual ocd (not meme ocd) and i cant stop testing my shit for sound sync issues and its ruining my life. i do it all day everyday and cant stop for fear of something wrong that i havent found yet. the only time i open vidya is to test for issues.

any advice would be appreciated

I'm trying to change the disk cache in adobe audition. It normally puts temp files in a temp folder somewhere in appdata on the C: drive. My C: drive is nearly full so I wanna change the primary cache. I set it to a directory on D: drive and Audition tells me it can't find the directory and continues to save to the old location on C: Setting a secondary cache location appears to do absolutely nothing. When primary is full that's just it. It stops importing the file cause the cache is full. Never even tries to use the secondary. Even deleting the temp folder in appdata on only referencing the cache to the folder on D: does nothing. The old folder just recreates and populates itself.

This issue is absolutely infuriating and the official adobe support only offers useless platitudes for solutions like "hold shift when booting audition for default settings" like you fucking niggers I'm explicitly trying to AVOID the default settings.

I'm editing live audio recordings several hours long and one recording can fill up the few remaining gigabytes on my C: drive before it's even 50% imported and assuming the cache was clear beforehand. I need my primary cache to be on a different drive and I just can't seem to make the program do it. I've never seen shit like this.

You're going about it the wrong way. Don't go fucking around with different programs trying to force them to do shit differently. Just symlink the folder directly.

No one here is close to qualified to help with an actual mental illness. Get real help from a professional who can show you the best ways of coping. It's literally impossible to eliminate all the potential triggers for your ticks.

Well why does Audition even have these options to change the cache to a custom directory if it's just going to put all the temp files in
>C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Audition\5.0

regardless? How the fuck else am I supposed to point the program to the folders I want?

Attached: adobe.jpg (775x540, 104K)

lmgtfy.com/?q=symlink

Having this wierd problem in my vimrc where all of the words sourounded by are treated literally i.e a statement like
nnoremap ,w :w!
would just put ":w!" in my command thingy

My HDD SMART status is listing my hard drives with weird times, can someone translate (and explain what im looking at)?
3 drives
199591429:09:14
479:29:26
514:36:21

assume i know nothing of linux, i need to get a usb camera working on a system running opensuse 13.1.
the program that needs to get the signal is trying to access a /dev/video file, but those dont even exist on startup. i managed to create them using the MAKEDEV script but i have no idea how to continue from here since the program still isnt getting any videofeed. the computer recognizes the camera and the driver is installed.
do i somehow need to associate one of the video files with the camera?
additional problem: those video files in the dev directory disappear on restart.
the system is has specialized software and hardware (cost ~32k$) and before i deal with their support i want to make sure im not doing any stupid mistakes.

Well I did it and now Audition just crashes when I boot it. I had to create a soft link as it wouldn't let me create a hard link between two different disk drives for some reason.

This is so fucking stupid. This is enterprise software. It shouldn't have to do these ridiculous workarounds. It should just work so I don't have to waste my time.

Your in compatibility mode. Add
set nocompatibility
to your vimrc

Thanks! Fixed!

Samefag

hours:minutes:seconds?

actually it may be seconds, 199591429 seconds would be about 6.3 years

No, the first one has about 3 years on it, the second about 10 years and the third about 5 years... all approx but they all have way over that hours wise. Also they don't update the time by at least a minute.

I tried googling the answer but my specific numbers obviously dont get anything and depending on the keywords i use i get other answers, like using "3 numbers hard drive smart format" or something gives results on how to format a hard drive, how long a drive lasts, explanations of MTBF... nothing on what to do if your hard drives (or tool) are reporting the numbers weird.

Has anyone managed to get 4ch-X working with Violetmonkey?
The scripts are supposedly enabled but no elements load
FF Nighlty, been trying on and off for months

What does it mean if Mint is "based on Debian and Ubuntu"? Does Mint fall under the category "Debian"? Do Debian and Ubuntu applications work on Mint?

Oh nevermind, UBO is breaking it....
How did I not think of this before...

Hmm well I did buy it in 2012, but it spent at least a year in a box, probably more. It did spend at least 2 years up full time before that, and i thought maybe 2 years since but it might be more... having trouble getting to 6.3 but maybe i used it more than i thought.

Anything on the other 2?

>199591429:09:14
>479:29:26
>514:36:21
No i just looked again, the long one is now 199591430:09:14, the other 2 have ticked up 1 in the same fashion (only the first number), but I know we arent counting raw hours with only 479 and 514.