I'm wondering how people like their working places nowadays since I'm in the process of outfitting a small software...

I'm wondering how people like their working places nowadays since I'm in the process of outfitting a small software (~50m2, 5 people) office on a budget. In my old-school, corporate mentality I would have gone for isolated desks with desktop computers but I understand young hipster fags have a distaste of such things now. How are/were your favourite working spaces organised like?

Now I'm thinking of getting everyone notebooks with usb-c to connect to their own monitors + keyboard/mouses but is that too restrictive even? Are there people who just prefer working on notebooks? Wireless keyboards for convenience, or wired for never having to charge them? Desks in the middle or facing the walls? Office speakers or individual headphones?

Attached: hipster office.jpg (4554x2744, 2.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

everblocksystems.com/
altwork.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=bHLR3faI7lU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

in b4 "just get macbooks"

Desktops and cubicles please. Fuck all this new age openoffice bullshit.

If it's just 5 people cubicles will be a waste of money

Cubicles make it easier for slackers to browse Jow Forums at work instead of coding.

Desktops mean employees have an excuse not to be working on weekends/after hours.

git gud m8, do you think all this bullshit is happening for no reason?

...but but but....I want my work to feel like I'm at a LAN party.

Laptops over desktops are pretty much a necessity at this point. It allows for workers to work from home occasionally if a serviceman has to come to their dwelling to do work. Open office works well if there aren't a ton of people. It's a lot faster to be able to quickly ask someone from a different division a question verbally as opposed to waiting on email.
My current work setup uses laptops with a large monitor for each worker, with the option of using a stand so that the laptop monitor can count as a second one (like in OP's pic). Everyone has a company mouse/keyboard that they chose for the company to buy prior to starting that stay in the office. There are 4 large desks that seat 2 people each, so essentially 4 people per "unit".
With regards to open office: it works better the fewer people you have. Having the open setting was great when there were only 3-5 people in the open area at a time. This allowed for very little distracting side chatter in addition to being able to field quick questions to the majority of the team. Now we have 8 people in the main open area and I can barely get anything done because there are so many side conversations going on.

I may be able to help you out here OP. I work in a similar situation My work is a 4 person team and we all use iMacs on the same large, long table in the middle of the room similar to pic-related. It works fine but if you're going to have people using their own computers, just buy external monitors and let them plug in.

A large central desk only works in small teams IMO. Any bigger than 10 people and you should look at getting people individual cubicles.

You can still design for privacy in a small office (pic related) vs openness (OP pic)

Cubicles just save space

Attached: office.jpg (1972x1466, 755K)

Why iMacs instead of MacBook Pro's + Displays? It's just one USB-C cable to plug in now.

The computers are owned by the company and we just use them while we are here. It's a job that doesn't require work from home.

Do employees really need privacy? If the goal of the office layout is productivity, why would you let each individual be able to hide what they're doing?

Techbros are now considered hipsters? What?
That being said the questions in your second half are things you need to ask your client - although not understanding the trends shows that they were incorrect to hire you on in the first place

dunno about most people but I need a cubicle with a desktop, hearing other people typing away and chatting is very distracting, and laptops just don't have enough screen realestate

I would put in individual offices that will fit 2 developers with top notch sound isolation and a seperate meeting room/kitchen/goofing off area

>Do employees really need to be paid? If the goal of the office is profit, why would you throw away money to pay employees?

Isn‘t quite a bit of a problem in such open offices that people easily start distract each other or even worse annoy each other, stressing all people involved and reducing productivity?

The fuck is the point of using an external keyboard for your laptop if it's just going to be the same chiclet garbage

At my workplace it's all Cubicles. There is no privacy. Bosses even have Cubicles, slightly more fancy (door and full height walls) but still it is what it is. Only wide open type space is cafeteria and hallways. Got a big ass conference room but mostly its just used as a place for people to eat lunch with some privacy. Everyone's got a desktop. Bosses get a desktop and a workplace issued smart phone so they get e-mail alerts all the damn time about whatever shit's going on. Even then some bosses are a fucking joke, my division is ran by a retard who knows really nothing about what we do. Makes our life hell.

I love seeing pictures of startup companies that are doomed to fail.

I relish in the misery of the young men who will join and be used and abused by desperate, clueless company founders and their close friends who are made CEOs on the spot. There is something very interesting about nepotism, I just love to see how bad it can really get before people start to crack.

The unnecessarily expensive hardware, the open working environment in what appears to be an interior with zero attention to detail, the look of zero confidence on the faces of the code monkeys that will get paid not in cash but in 'valuable experience', the management with zero leadership skills. It all adds a little sweetness to this delicious eye candy.

Rate my office

Attached: Typical_UPS_delivery_truck.jpg (2500x1875, 1.1M)

Fuck that.

Cubicles make it easier to concentrate on work, if some one wants to slacker off, they can do that, if they get the shit done, they can slacker off as much as they want.

Desktop means that there are no scenarios of employees loosing the laptop and all of the project files with a fucking "password" password.

All this bullshit is happening for shitty reasons, if you are any good, you are sitting in your room with no one else bothering you, fuck the open office shit.

Open office is just cost savings Trojan horsing as "collaborative" space. As a worker in their late 20s the minimum I find acceptable is a corner cubical (two walls), 2 monitors, and a laptop dock with keyboard and mouse.

Just reread the OP

>5 people

In this case cubicles are a bit of a waste, but I personally would still prefer separate desks with some breathing room between them.

In cubicle I can do whatever I want. Shitpost, do the real work, FAP, chat and so on. Nobody is near me (at least I can't see them) nobody is watching my screen. Sure, I am distracted with important Jow Forums and /b/ threads, but I am able to do the job. And switching brain activity really helps.
In open-space shit I couldn't do a thing, really. I saw my neighbour peering into my laptop, an I literally was looking into Google.com and code all day, like a retard.
This is not working this way. At least with me.

stop shitting on my packages you animal

>have to wade through a pile of shit some loser just threw on the shelves, barely even sorted
>did he put that single 1100 envelope in the front or the back?
>he didn't even use totes
2/10

if you have everyone on one table you can watch as they have a coffee or smoke break every 15 minutes.

IME personal offices with the OPTION of grabbing your laptop and sitting with a colleague in their office is the most productive environment.

you just have to have proper leadership that identify and excise slackers.

>implying I'm hired
I'm a guy who's been building some software with two pajeets far away who just got some money coming in and I want to start a proper company with a proper office

You need to supply the entire office with Apple products and then ban sitting

Attached: Video:%20How%20to%20make%20your%20own%20standing%20desk%20with%20a%20human-size%20hamster%20wheel%20 (700x394, 46K)

You know I'm unironically considering apple even though I would never buy one myself, because the people I hire might be retarded and spend time fucking around configuring linux instead of getting the job done.

ofc u need cubicles, how do u expect me to eat to pick nose and eat my boogers or scratch my balls in front of others

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 31K)

We have 2 options. Cubicle + screenshot monitoring or shared office space like OP's pic.

Open plan activity based workspace makes my friends feel safe and besides it's much easier to have an inclusive meeting with everyone about the inappropriate sexual relationship I had the previous evening.

Laptop stands + Screens

Wireless keyboards are better because I actually do engineering and need to use pen and paper every now and then. The battery lasts for months and someone in the office recharges them when I'm away so I don't care.

Ideal office space would be desks set up next to windows, with cheap walls to separate each office for some visual privacy

Attached: FlatironOfficeHorizCrop.jpg (1500x639, 292K)

if shared space, desks facing the walls

why would anyone want to program when theres a person right in front of you staring right into ur eyeballs

Attached: sanic.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

>desks set up next to windows
G L A R E
L
A
R
E

lol at all of these insecure people here.

Just have the monitors facing away from the windows

t. neurotic HR chick who needs attention 24/7

everblocksystems.com/

and get everyone toughbooks with docks.

/thread

>"look mom, I just got repeating numbers when I posted!!!"

>toughbooks
>not thinkpads
pleb

not even getting into the whole manchild-size legos thing

He asked for legitimate advice bro.

altwork.com/

I think one of these would be perfect too for the command center

Open office bullshit is an excuse to make cheap SHITTY offices. no one wants to program while they are a foot from other people who don't want to be quiet. Follow the Joel Test. rule 8 specifies that programmer NEED a quiet space to work productively.
read the mythical man month.

I have never seen something so fucking retarded. it reminds me of pic related's office in the film grandmas boy.

youtube.com/watch?v=bHLR3faI7lU

Attached: index.jpg (257x196, 5K)

>$8500 hospital bed for the terminally autistic

Hey, at least it's better than the shitty meme standing workstations pushed by people who apparently pine for their glory days a s a fucking Safeway cashier.

>you will never look half as good as the guy in striped t-shirt in op's pic

why live ;_;

>Desktops mean employees have an excuse not to be working on weekends/after hours.
Lol, I can tell you've never had a real job by that statement alone.

just hit the gym a few times a week and groom your beard and hair. Not that difficult except for the gene part

>Desktops mean employees have an excuse not to be working on weekends/after hours
Because version control systems like Git and SVN apparently aren't a thing.
>Cubicles make it easier for slackers to browse Jow Forums at work instead of coding.
Because tracking employees' network traffic apparently isn't a thing in this weird alternate dimension where this office is either

>Laptops over desktops are pretty much a necessity at this point.
Get fucked. Use a VPN.
>ask someone from a different division a question verbally as opposed to waiting on email
Get double fucked, don't break my flow for your inane requests.

i hate layouts like that where someone is sat behind your monitor looking straight back at you

awkward eye contact all day long. is he staring at me? or something on the edge of his screen?? fuck i wish i was in a cubicle

Both of my past 2 jobs were open office spaces with macbooks connected to external keyboard/mouse and a monitor or two.

I fucking hate open office spaces so much. I also prefer thinkpads with debian/ubuntu/mint but that's not a big deal.

Holy fucking shit open office spaces are terrible though, so loud, so little privacy, I'd rather have a cubicle... some resemblance of personal space.

I didn't know open office spaces were such an epidemic, are there lots of them in Australia?

and wear clothing that fits you properly. this isn't that hard, but a lot of people don't pay enough attention to this.

Open offices fundamentally do not work, unless they are arranged with desks up against a U-shaped wall. Dynamic visual distractions beyond a screen are a huge drain on productivity and an easy way to be constantly distracted - especially when you've been working on the same task for a long time without any deep focus on it.

Why are you lying

what do we mean by "do not work"? do you mean companies fail with open office layouts? do you have any empirical evidence of this? did you mean something less melodramatic than "do not work", but didn't feel like your argument was worth making if you used more measured language?

don't hyperbolize. if you have a point to make, make it plainly.

open office layouts are worse, but higher ups like them. you don't have to spend so much money on organizational stuff like cubicle walls, you can pack people into less space and call it "agile" or "lean" or something synergistically buzzwordy that basically means "cheap", and perhaps most importantly it *looks* really appealing for new recruits who aren't totally jaded by years of experiencing open office layouts (and perhaps it's appealing to people who don't realize that a lot of their frustration in their past work came from distractions frustrating their efforts to concentrate and get work done).

i've never heard of an employee leaving a company over open office layouts, so my hunch is that even if people began to recognize that open office layouts are worse, they're not "empirically so bad that they provably cause attrition or missed deadlines", which would prompt managers to try changes. employees in open office layouts, meanwhile, tend to take on the cost of isolating themselves into their own hands - buying things like noise-isolating headphones out of pocket. so it's almost as if managers have figured out a way to get employees to pay if they want to be able to focus.

I'm not insecure, I just work best in privacy.

Just have desks in a row with a bunch of people on each row and a small divider between the person directly opposite so you aren't constantly looking at them

My team all sit next to each other, when we want to discuss something we just do.

Working in a cubicle sounds like a nightmare. They have it in one of our offices and people just don't go in.

What the hell is wrong with you.
When my boss come to my workplace I show him news and memes straight from Jow Forums and he didn't mind. All he care about is that I do my tasks.

Give them a budget
Let them decide
Make sure they get your approval first

What the fuck.
Are you THIS fucked in the head to believe you can't work from home without a laptop?

This. Would be incredibly cheap and easy

Ideal would be individual semi-open cubicles with each person facing toward their window and blinds for blocking sun/glare.
If you want vitamin D deficient zombie workers then put everyone in a windowless, blue-lit room

Open office models are noisy, unproductive. Imagine taking a phone call. With 50m2 you aren't give much to work with. However, everyone needs his privacy. Slacking off is a short rest for the brain. And short rests boost long-time productivity. Also, cubicles or derivatives look professional.

>t. Germ office outfitter

>sorry I only have a chromebook at home xD

why would anyone would want to go to the office in 2018?

Cubicles prevent people from arguing over space.

Attached: 1504872167577.png (516x767, 445K)

open offices are toxic, nobody likes em, ask apple employees how they feel about the new HQ, neck time long coming

I enjoy eating rich breakfast with coworkers, small talks, relaxing in chill room, going out for lunch together etc.