Do you use a CRT monitor and why? I'm thinking of picking up one but craigslist hasn't had any decent deals...

Do you use a CRT monitor and why? I'm thinking of picking up one but craigslist hasn't had any decent deals, I got a guy to go $40 on one, it's dell. I feel like that's too high though. Sucks that thrift stores stopped carrying them years ago.

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (720x480, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mg_kh92buUA
youtube.com/watch?v=k66dfUAzSq0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have one (trinitron pt5001 rebrand). Unfortunately it's no longer functional. If you find one that works then go for it user. They're pretty worth it as a 2cnd monitor especially if you like gaming, and watching videos.

I have one (viewsonic p95f+). Ideal for pretty much all video games. Its the only reason to have one in this day and age. 1600x1200 @85hz with absolutely no motion blur or input lag is a miracle.

is this some sort of videophile meme ? also some guy is offering dell ips 20 inch monitors for like $25 because they have some lines or random stains and i am tempted to buy one and see if i can fix it.

What do you think an appropriate price for one is? I plan on using it for photoshopping, watching videos, making music in Renoise, and playing Everquest. I use a shit thinkpad so I can't utilize it for gaming really.

>lines, or random stains
Flat trinitrons naturally have two feint lines in the screen, and the stains I would guess would probably be the coating coming off. I'm not sure that these can be repaired.
I would pass them up if the 2 lines aren't from the trinitrons support brace thingies, and/or if the stains are really noticeable.

>What do you think an appropriate price for one is? I plan on using it for photoshopping, watching videos, making music in Renoise, and playing Everquest. I use a shit thinkpad so I can't utilize it for gaming really.
Me personally I'd pay up to $50 for a decent fully functional 21" crt monitor that was delivered to me. Maybe a little more if it was an gdm fw900.

I do.
Because PAL Amiga games just don't look as good on a 22" flat screen as they do on a 22" Trinitron.

>I got a guy to go $40 on one
Ouch.

Got a nice CRT monitor for 8 dollars from ebay, breddy gud desu

I store my 20 years old crt monitor in the basement. Sometimes I take it out to play some old games and watch old shows because I'm a nostalgic manchild.
I also have a crt tv in the shed on my allotment, it's the comfiest place to have a drink and watch some shit.

Me, but is a fucking nightmare, it looks so dark that i have to use amd drivers to put more bright to the screen and its blue, de red looks black, i cant see shit while playing(1024x768 make models look tiny and the blue color just make everything look the same), i just use it because my lcd monitor its broken, and the other i bought hasnt/havent arrived.

Sorry my bad english

Attached: 100_1717.jpg (4000x3000, 2.47M)

your crt is fucked

That CRT is on its last legs.

t. someone who had the exact same problem

> Do you use a CRT monitor
yes
and why?
I can't afford to buy a new monitor

t. neet

I have a CRT but the screen turns off for a second before coming back on about once an hour. Im afraid it's dying

I use a 109b6 from Philips its a late model CRT that was sold in 2005 I have 3 of them and once setup properly color wise its amazing

run it at 1024x768 at 120hz some people mentioned here if you used a DAC you could set it to higher res while keeping high hz I was wondering what device that was that let it do that?

I use a ridiculously high-end one since it's the cheapest way to get decent colour accuracy. Wouldn't recommend one for anything "normal", though, unless you get off on dem blacks.

Also keep in mind that basically all cheap CRTs are terrible, Trinitrons have retarded 2.5 gamma, and all expensive CRTs have 20 000 hours on them.

Attached: calrekt.png (938x1862, 732K)

>barco trinitron
Those are nice. Mine is from intergraph (not as nice).

No, because it's outdated technology that looks like shit and is harmful to your eyes. I guess it's ok for gaymers who really notice these extra 5ms of latency, not much use to anyone else.

Attached: soyboy 4.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

The late 2000s was the time to stock up on CRT monitors. I had like 4 in my closet that I had gotten all for free, I was basically hoarding them for a while but lost interest eventually and gave them all away. The only one I see on craigslist in my area right now is $200 (and I live in a huge city) so $40 actually isn't that bad if you ask me.

CRT were way too straining on my eyes, fucking brutal.

I use CRT because it just werks™...

But seriously this is nice one - Hitachi CM751U (Which I saved from trash)

Overall Image is good, working on max 1600x1200 @75Hz and picture control is nice too (RGB colours independently, geometry, moire etc.)

Attached: IMG_0589.jpg (2000x1500, 2.17M)

My Barcos aren't Trinitrons, they use Hitachi tubes. Trinitrons are sadly trash for actual accuracy, because they all have retarded natural gamma.

Attached: trinitrionimg_1493.jpg (2048x1365, 908K)

the absolute state of Jow Forums

Everything in that picture really is hipster shit.

>Flatirons not actual Trinitrons
>Analog tape not DAT
>Model M space saver not a Model F
>Cheapo consumer film camera, not a professional one
Disgusting.

>Vinyl
It's fucking vinyl. It's always been only good for original releases.

>IBM ThinkPad
ThinkPads were good before becoming Chinkpads, nobody expects you to use a real ThinkPad for real use anymore though.

>I use a ridiculously high-end one
>posts a shit one
yeah...

>Trinitrons are sadly trash for actual accuracy, because they all have retarded natural gamma.
Why did they come with graphics workstations then? Sounds dumb.

I’m stuck with CRT until OLED monitors become affordable. Once you realize how trash LCDs still are your eyes are basically ruined.

It doesn’t matter if you calibrate them like you are supposed to anyway. Trinitron uses phosphors that sRGB was defined from: it is 2.4 gamma with an offset that makes the corrected power curve approximately 2.2.

The performance speaks for itself.

Probably because they were the sharpest. You can coax gamma 2.2 out of them, but it's at the cost of having a contrast ratio somewhere between cock and ass.

Attached: crt_contrast_anim.gif (1000x667, 684K)

I’m waiting for microled. Just want a screen that doesn’t have a major flaw. It’s been a long wait maybe the wait will be over soon.

Calibrating to change gamma doesn't affect contrast ratio.

Ignore, he's a well known tripfag idiot around here.

Those diamondtrons'll do stupid resolutions.
I have a 19" one that'll do 1920x1440
The 22" ones'll happily do 2560x2048 at a low refresh rate.

I'd also like to know about a good DAC. My monitor is rated for higher than my 980ti can push out.

it's crazy how they were dumped by the truckload around 2008-2012, but now prices are going up

Are there video cards or external converters that can do 10 bit colour?

>at a low refresh rate

Attached: 1523229202872.jpg (299x168, 11K)

The advantage of an external DAC is that it keeps the signal from degrading because the analog signal path is shorter, the caveat is that most products have less usable bandwidth than the RAMDAC inside your graphics card, ex

>HDFury2, 132~ mhz
>HDFury3, 180~ mhz
>RAMDAC, 320~ mhz

The 109B6 has a fixed length video cable so there is no advantage in an external DAC other than lack of analog video outputs or whatever.

the fuck did you mean by this? fucking nu-Jow Forums meme kids

No, it's a retarded meme, flat screen are way better

FD TRINITRONS ARE FLAT GLASS

FW900 @200HZ IS THE GOAT

Attached: 1423364509955.jpg (1599x1434, 353K)

Both of my CRTs are flat screen. One is even from 1999. How do you not know this.

So what?
Your wimpy eyes might not be able to handle it for your /v/ uses they are wasted on gamers.

Got a W900, the curved screen version of this.
Used to brag to people saying I have a 1600p curved screen with OLED tier colour and laugh at them when they saw it and I was right.

There are people who still think CRTs are king in 2018.

Attached: 00114what.jpg (350x296, 46K)

What's king to you then?

tn

I have one for gaming but I legitimately cannot find (a cheap) one for PC, in the US. I ordered a nice one from Europe and they sent an email basically saying "oops, turns out that was an accidental listing, we haven't had those for years"

Attached: 1486185549480.png (547x514, 714K)

Got a LaCie monitor. 85Hz on 2k. Great color, dynamic range (bright as fuck) and 0 latency in gaming. Literally 0.

Only VR headsets can compete with that latency.

Any monitor mid-range and up.

LCDs can do far higher resolutions than CRT could ever physically achieve (thanks to the limits of the electron gun).
LCDs have better black levels and contrast in the real world because CRT phosphors reflect/scatter light.
LCD objectively have better colors. They're starting to move toward rec2020 while almost any CRT you'll ever have access to is designed to hopefully meet sRGB.
LCDs are FAR brighter than CRTs. CRTs are so dim that sunlight can make them unusable.
The higher the ambient brightness is, the brighter blacks become on the CRT, ruining any "perfect contrast" or "infinite contrast" you may have had. If the light is bright enough (the sun) contrast goes to 0 and you simply don't see an image.

LCDs have worse pixel response, motion quality, and input latency.
Pixel response is about as low as it's going to get. It's fine for most use cases, including video games and movies.
Motion quality will always be superior on a CRT. But you must ask yourself if it's worth all the downsides of CRT. You can also mitigate this with ULMB/backlight strobing.
Input latency on LCDs can be practically 0, it depends entirely on the display itself. Korean LCDs with almost nothing between the panel and the video card will have excellent latencies, while a TV with "120hz" will have terrible latencies.

Attached: __souryuu_asuka_langley_neon_genesis_evangelion_drawn_by_bosshi__66975ec15a6fabb556a08d4ae26250b4.jp (600x800, 174K)

Wait a minute, that's not a grill!

Attached: 1517488779499.jpg (248x459, 18K)

Easy on the carrots bugs

test

Only way I'll upgrade my giant ass sony trinitron is when OLED technology becomes affordable. Hopefully around 2023 or something it'll be cheaper. It's fucking weird seeing the number year 2023.

I WOULD IF I KNEW WHERE TO GET ONE

it not 5ms its 9ms to the best LCD the best LCD that are branded as 1ms in reality are 9ms lag. most lcd are 20-30ms lag which is huge.

VR headsets lag 9ms idiot.

i use a mitsubishi diamond pro 2070sb with that goes to 2053x1536

this is bullshit, there are 144hz benqs that go to 1~5ms

CI TA TI ON NE ED ED

Go to displaylag website.

heres proof btw

Attached: input_lag_1.jpg (697x495, 88K)

Sounds like some made up neckbeard shit.

Yes, I still use two of them for video gaming. A JVC TM-13U with a Wii hooked up for emulation, and a Hitachi Superscan Elite for FPS.

No, because I have no need for latency that low, and there's no other reason to use one.

I feel like people are confusing the terms. It's not the same. white to black and gray to gray latency is not the same as input lag. Ofc, white to black latency is part of the equation with input lag.

I see a lot of people claim CRTs have zero lag or latency too, but remember, the beam scans over the tube ~60-85 times a second. That introduces latency.

>heres proof btw
Well that site does say that it's 5.6 seconds of input lag with "instant mode" vs a crt, so maybe it is legit.
Personally I'd rather have a crt, or an ips panel though over a tn. It's already sacrificing quality by being a tn panel, and from what I've just read "instant mode" sacrifices more quality for performance. So it's pretty much a shit a panel that isn't as fast, good looking as a crt, and it's not as good image wise as an ips.
It was a good try though user.

i use a CRT i said that in my post. I just don't like non-factual information

and i have a benq on instant mode which looks fine. The reason I don't use it is because, read: >> MOTION BLUR

I feel like having the back off of that is extremely dangerous..

VvvvVvvvV::------------

Attached: tri.png (330x250, 105K)

Yes but only because I play games with a native resolution of 640x480. Otherwise I'd be using an ultrawide IPS LCD.

Attached: deathsmiles demul.jpg (4056x2704, 1.68M)

They have segas for that

I love my Hitachi751U. Mine was in a barn. 480p looks incredible on it.

I don't blame people for confusing the two, the 1ms response time is marketed in a way that is a factual lie along with trying to confuse you that its input lag.

my monitor is 14-15ms input lag with all the image enhancing hdr and local dimming turned on, I gladly traded away 5~ms away for a significantly better picture.

>local dimming
Always thought that looked strange. Seen so many screens where local dimming kinda lagged behind the picture. I'd see the picture fade to black, then the backlight would dim half a second later.

I want to pick one up to emulate retro games.

no, the limit on crts ability to do high resolutions was down to input types, not the guns,
just tested a shit tier worn out crt against lcds, far better blacks and colors, though the resolution was notably ass.
as far as colors go, I can't comment, I do know that till hdr, people still used crts because they were just that good with color representation.
same thing with every lcd tech there is sans oled and self limiting, but oled has burn in and other self emitting are only advertisement ready as of now.

as for input latency, lcds still come out with input latencies that exceed 200ms, fuck even gameing monitors that do 144 and 240 hz have 10+ ms input lag half the time.

depending on use, crts are VERY worth it.
but then again I love light gun games, and they only work with wiimote like bullshit, or crts.

CRT also has burn in. Not the kind you get with OLED, but it's still burn in and the reason I don't keep mine on with the taskbar at the bottom for more than two hours at a time.

oh fuck, I know the feel, we have a samsung un55es6100 in the living room I just turned the dynamic ratio off on completely. because of how fucking trash it is, fucking lagging more then 2 seconds at times to get brighter or get dimmer,

however, tv's and monitors are getting FAR better at dealing with local dimming. what you want to look for is full array, and just accept that if something is going to shoot across the screen a fullscreen length a second, local dimming will lag.

youtube.com/watch?v=mg_kh92buUA

thats mine, or at least a benchmark of my tv/monitor, outside of things that purposefully break the backlighting like this benchmark doed to show its weakness, I value it greatly as when something is black, its fucking black and when its bright, its really bright, overall can not complain at all.

never noticed burn in on either of my crts when they were in active use, but I did notice it on my lcd due to chrome tabs.

any kind of error a crt ever gave me was usually fixed with a degaussing.

CRT burn in only happens if you're displaying the same image for extended periods of time. For PC use that's the taskbar with the start button, clock, and tray icons. In airports that used to use CRTs for departure and arrival times the headers on the table and the colons in the times were burned in so hard they were visible even when the display was turned off.

hi

Attached: tactical assault eggs.jpg (2592x1728, 1.34M)

I miss the yellow capsules that came completely apart. The new "safe" ones are shit. Can't really put them in my mouth and suck on them like I used to do as a kid.

>when the lcd has better contrast ratio
Nice shit crt m80, doesn't even look like a flat screen.

although that crt had more natural skin color

Attached: snapshot_19.37_[2016.12.23_03.35.48].png (1920x1080, 2.48M)

You're the most mysterious user to me. I've seen you post but never talk.

>not even a trinitron

That sucks, sorry user.
Flatscreen CRTs have a lot of geometry issues. Hence half curved Trinitrons and clones are the sweet spot.

Compaq 2025, I like it. (1600x1200, 75HZ).

Input lag is a little high (25ms), not unusable though.

are we talking about the kind of burn in when its off its noticeable, or the kind of burn in where it can't display anything that could remotely mask the burn in?

god knows I kept my monitors on for 12+ hours a day and never noticed start menu burn in.

Both, though by the time you notice the burnt in image even when it's off you'd definitely see it when it's on.
>god knows I kept my monitors on for 12+ hours a day and never noticed start menu burn in
Now that makes me wonder just how long you need to display an image for it to be burned in. A lot of the computers at my high school had the windows 2000 logon screen burned in to the screens and it was definitely noticeable at all times but more so when on.

how do you record your input lag on your CRT?

That's an LCD

oh a bad lcd at that.

youtube.com/watch?v=k66dfUAzSq0

only burn in I ever had with a crt or lcd was my lcd after 6 years of chrome being the dominant thing open, the tab outlines burnt in bad

i think i had that guy added on steam like 7 years ago

I got 3x 109b6 Philips for 20$ aud each.

the only CSGO pro to still list CRT as his monitor uses this model makes me feel good :)he obviously only uses it at home thou or at private lans.

here's my Mitsubishi 2070sb, it does 2053x1536@86hz

it has extra brightness and the text is clear at 1600x1200 with high refresh rates, unlike a lot of other monitors

Attached: 20180406_064717.jpg (4032x2268, 2.07M)