Try to learn programming

>try to learn programming
>all courses start you off on babby tier syntax shit and after getting to loops and arrays immediately throw you into NSA level incomprehensible nonsense
>no intermediate middle ground

How do you guys actually learn this shit?

Attached: laptop 3.gif (396x170, 2.56M)

wha?

Attached: terry_gun.jpg (990x682, 49K)

Dude, you are one step away from finishing the basics!

Attached: Untitled.png (548x650, 23K)

>How do you guys actually learn this shit?
Not in college that's for fucking sure.
I only did it for the paper that proves I knew it already.

Online courses aren't college classes, you can start in the middle if you want. How the fuck are you even asking that question? Just play a more advanced video lmao

My college classes literally consisted of less info than the free shit online.

Only way I learned was a buddy of mine and I trying to create shit for his Dad's business and tons of googling.

OP's skill ceiling is reached has been reached before the intro was over

ProjectEuler.net
thank me later

How did you learn programming then?

Pick up a programming book, start reading. Many are online for free.

>learn math from school
>write programs on my calculator that help me do the problems quickly
>start playing around with open source games on my computer
>mostly just change code, don't reinvent the wheel
>develop a better understanding of how things work
>challenge myself to do better projects
that's how I did it at least, all you need is some math history and some examples to look at.

I remember sitting in a programming 101 lecture where the professor started with 'Now this is where things tend to get hard for students'. We were just beginning to learn iteration.
As much as people meme about 'code monkeys', many people can't even achieve that.

HtDP 2nd Edition

You combine the easy learning with the hard learning.

Easy learning is great, you copy paste code, you watch along, listen, pick up a few things and write them down. Being introduced to the thing is often just as good as actually knowing it, if you know when to do something but not exactly how you can just google it and you'll be familiar enough with it to use it.

Eventually you'll repeat the easy things enough to know them and not need to even think about them when you're doing them.

The hard parts are supposed to be parts you get stuck on, purposefully put there. You have 3 choices

1) Just give up
2) Go learn it piece by piece to try figure it out
3) Go to stack overflow and copy past the answer, or copy paste like 3 different answers into one mess that eventually works

99% of the time you'll pick 1 or 3, but the time when you do pick 2 it will end up with a strong learning experience. The best way to force 2 is to actually make your own shit that you're invested in, spend hours stuck on that one tiny problem and end up fixing it and you'll remember it forever.

I don't wanna make a new thread just to ask this, so, which programming language should I start learning?

Install Gentoo

python is a good intro
java for intro to oop, or c++
past that its up to whatever you wanna specialize in or learn to do, but the above are great starts

my best advice to noobs looking to learn a language:

JUST PICK SOMETHING AND STICK WITH IT

seriously, you will eventually want to pick up multiple languages. what you start with doesn't matter because you're trying to learn concepts and any reasonably popular language will help you with that. after you have your first language (and more importantly, basic programming concepts) down, learning new languages will be easier.

Roll a 6-sided die and pick one from this list:
>1: Python
>2: Java
>3: C
>4: Javascript
>5: Ruby
>6: Scala

Would you guys recommend project euler for a noob programmer or is it not helpful to real projects?

Project Euler is very math-focused. If you know a lot about math, it'll be straightforward, and it will sharpen your problem-solving skills, but it's not as directly applicable to what a programmer would be working on day-to-day. There are other sites out there like exercism.io that go through exercises that you're more likely to encounter as a programmer and give you a better idea of what programming is really like.

Most of it isn't useful in entreprise projects, but the understanding you'll build with the challenges will help (maybe)

You get good at what you spend a lot of time doing. Solving Project Euler problems will only make you better at solving other Project Euler problems.

If you want to build applications, you need to practice actually addressing a user need.

Attached: 1511919391612.png (3840x2160, 1.61M)

No memes, learn these languages in this order and just focus on one per year. And most importantly, build shit with them. Just reading the documentation will do you no good.
1. Python
2. C#
3. C++
4. Haskell

This.

I started by trying to make something, can't remember what exactly, slowly researching every bits and pieces as I went forward, making sure I understood how and why things worked by reading even more. Eventually I had a very messy but functional thing. Then rince and repeat until you're able to make huge things.

Honestly I think it's the only way to learn how to code and actually get good at it.

Thanks

/thread

I would actually agree with the OP. I'll elaborate on where I think there's a failing in how programming is taught. Too often things are taught at a pretty rudimentary level like the OP described, where no one ever touches things like build pipelines, deployment pipelines, which are extremely important to think about when making software.

>after getting to loops and arrays
>immediately throw you into NSA level incomprehensible nonsense

user in my experience the typical tutorial goes:
>branching
>loops/arrays
>functions/recursion

if you're referring to recursion as nsa shit then get out of Jow Forums

Attached: Wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg (500x375, 33K)

Install Gentoo is a meme reply. Don't do it. Linux distributions are meant to be learned in a virtual machine first anyways if you're a beginner. Ubuntu, CentOS/Redhat and Debian are the ones used in corporations anyways. If you want a career in Linux, Gentoo isnt for novices.

>I'll elaborate on where I think there's a failing in how programming is taught.
you still didn't elaborate shit, you just made a generalization about something you think you understand. do you write software professionally?

This user knows what’s up

Attached: 9C72E6ED-397A-4255-9721-5E0F590CF0AC.jpg (1024x759, 79K)