/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/5XrUEbBK

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: 24269f69cde49f95229765cb46780f70.jpg (1210x936, 285K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_kernel
youtube.com/watch?v=mvELyEy9uVA&t=1m35s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cat

Attached: IMG_20180402_194117333.jpg (2340x4160, 2.25M)

Should I go for either sennheiser HD 4.40 or the 4.50? Or something else in that ~150€ price range

What's the best headphones for ASMR?

Attached: 3milku-chan.png (792x680, 516K)

Any headphone that doesn't have rolled off treble will do.

hd800

Hd 579 are comfy if you don't need bt

buy an EARS and have your girlfriend that you will never have to make them for you

are the Audio Technica ATH-A700X any good?

I kinda do, but thanks for the rec anyway.
Are there any other decent bt headphones in that price range, or should I just go for the HD 4.40?

Feels kimochi listening to my HD 600s knowing I made the best choice for music listening bliss!

Attached: When the HD 800 HONKS.jpg (403x403, 115K)

is there a solution to pulseaudio thunking when the daemon starts/stops or is poettering a shithead?

Attached: 1511766177616.gif (300x300, 1.49M)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Good OP.

Attached: 1520603053800.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)

>Disabling pulseaudio.
I always run into more problems using JACK

Anything with good S O U N D S T A G E ie any good headphone in the $500+ bracket

Whatever is wrong with alsa's builtin 'dmix', which is used by default when there's no jackd or pulse.
>jack problems
Use linux-rt proper, not shit mainline and its shitty scheduler latency.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_kernel

I have the Philips SHP9500, and only an idiot would buy the HD600 when the SHP9500 has better bass and real soundstage for fraction of the cost.

Attached: honkD600.png (1280x720, 2.65M)

>dmix
I remember life before poettering. it was still shit. audio in linux has always been shit. If I have to choose between archaic shit and modern shit I'll just choose the modern shit, which is still shit but nevertheless modern shit

Attached: puke.gif (1024x576, 499K)

>SHP9500
>soundstage
kek

But it just werks! Unlike pulseaudio...
For fanciness, jackd.
The real eww is running mainline kernel. Try cyclictest from rt-tests as in that link above.

Hold up, nigger. What the fuck is going on in this image?

Attached: 1493061043218.png (200x200, 100K)

>But it just werks! Unlike pulseaudio
it does, you should try it
>The real eww is running mainline kernel.
I don't, I use muqss

Japanese cant into drawings.

Attached: dejapoo.png (295x149, 85K)

>muqss
I tried the -ck stuff before trying -rt.
CK doesn't help with the latency problem, unfortunately.
Do run cyclictest as suggested... you'll find, if you leave it running on the background, that there'll be some 20ms+ peaks recorded when you do look again after a few hours. Eww.
>it does, you should try it
Deja-vu... every time I try it it's the same glitchy shit. I'm going to wait at least a couple years until I try again.

bluetooth adapters

Can pads be too big?

Attached: Front_off_stand.jpg (1500x1125, 142K)

ofc not ;3

Do ears get oily or only face/hair?
Should I wash my ears everyday to not make my pads oily?

>Should I wash my ears everyday to not make my pads oily?
what the fuck is going on with you that you would not wash your body on a daily basis and you ask only because you care about your headphones and not your hygiene?

ughhhhhh fuck off faggot only mutts shower everyday

Buy hd660s

Attached: 20180305_205619.jpg (3264x2448, 2.78M)

Did you send them back ? I can't believe you bought these for any other reason than trolling /hpg/.

best wireless headphones for running/lifting weights?

At some point yes. Greater clamping force and greater distance between drivers and ears have an effect on both comfort and sound, and I'd rather have GOOD pads than LODSA pads.

Watch Love Live.

*slaps ur gfs ass*

Attached: philips_fidelio_x2_4.jpg (4189x2357, 2.78M)

what are some good basshead headphones
something to shake my fucking nogging

*slaps back*

*breaks*

Attached: 5108571.jpg (4608x3072, 3.56M)

Man I fucking love velour
Is there any fleshlight made with velour

Those are durable yet lightweight headphones, if you threw a Fidelio X2 and the K712 at a wall, the Fidelio X2 would break but the AKG wouldn't

'snaps' your gfs butt 'crack'

Attached: hd600.jpg (1487x1800, 651K)

My earbuds broke.

What are the best under $50 earbuds that will provide me enjoyment and comfort.

Spoiler: The wall is made out of 4AA's.

Attached: Pro-4AA.jpg (1323x1600, 212K)

yikes

*Rapes your gf with treble*

Attached: 1381258421106.png (1230x1673, 886K)

So far from the lcd2, he500, dt990, hd650, etc I get by far the strongest response from the he500. It feels like they're reaching through the driver and fucking with my ears. It's like theres nothing between the performed and my ears and I think this is largely due to how large the driver is.

Attached: i-dont-want-no-treble.jpg (460x300, 96K)

I really want to but I got an hd6xx for $200 on ebay without having to wait for a drop. From everything I've read they are the best of the bunch. The people who rip on them don't seem to own them and I know of two people that have the entire HD580/hd600/hd650/hd660s line up that say these are the best.
I'll probably be buying the DT1990 instead. Seems very similar to the hd800, which I love.

*laughs*
You call that rape? Watch this.

Attached: beyerdynamic-kopfho_rer-dt-990-edition.jpg (592x700, 33K)

They really are unlistenable but I used them as my only headphone since like 2014 and if you've never heard anything else they just sound really fucking clear and "detailed". I went from a m50 to them and it sounded like a massive upgrade and then I didn't realize how bad they were until I got better headphones last fall.
I suggest the dt770 to friends because of this.

>earbuds
Ear pods or whatever they're called are the only apple product I've found to be decent. The wired, not wireless.

Do you guys like the DT880?

I haven't heard them but I think I would probably enjoy the 600ohm, especially off an amp that artificially colors the sound to be more warm. Something like the darkvoice or Valhalla.

>mids drilling into your skull
>sacrificing depth for width
>no dynamic range
>deliberately designed for garbage pop masters

no

Not looking to argue, but I was under the impression that pop music had some of the better mastering? I listen to a lot of electronic music and I can just straight hear how poorly it's mastered, even on headphones that aren't very bright.
Don't big record labels have really famous mastering people?
I wish all music was mastered well.

dt880 is good
dt990 is no

Fucking hell, I just ascertained that one of the drivers in my MDR-V6 is dead. I thought this thing would last forever but it only lasted 4 years.

Worst part is that I'm worse off than I was 4 years ago so I can't even afford a decent replacement. I guess I'd some chink shit like Superlux.

What do you guys think of the Logitech G231?

My gf needs a new headset for gaming and she liked how that one looked, but amazon reviews are mixed.

Also what about the G230? This one is listed as £57 while the G231 is at £35

Attached: 61SMs8104DL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 103K)

buy her an hd800 and at4040 unless you want to get tyrone'd

I'm asumming that's some kind of "getting cucked by a nigger".

She had some shit £15 headset and was happy with it, so the bar is not set too high.

Ok /hpg/, how long did it take for you to stop buying snake oil and come to the logical conclusion that battery powered non-oversampling wire-with-gain solution is objectively superior to overpriced garbage that produce dishonest overprocessed sound?

For gamers that use push to talk I strongly suggest a Samson go mic and creative aurvana live! as the ideal starter set up. The mic will last them the rest of their life and has a pretty clean headphone jack on it that acts as a dac/amp for low power headphones like the CAL.
In the future she could get better headphones without worrying about the mic. If you want to spend more than that you could get the takstar pro 82 instead.
CAL could be like a $150 headphone though, it's that good.

jesus how do hd600 owners live with these prices.
$50 for a pair of pads?

alpha fucks beta bucks

Tell her to buy that shit herself

Sounds ok to me (not veeery isolating, I'm used to the ATH-M50x), the mic has a short pickup range which I find very good for voice chat while gaming since it doesn't pick up all the background noise / keyboard / mouse shit compared to the antlion mic I have. Voice quality is also clear imo. I don't find the headband very comfortable since like flat ones without cushions better. The cushions somehow hurt my head after some time so I use a baseball cap while wearing it. I recommend it. I only bought this headset because I heard my friend talk with it in Mumble and was convinced of the good mic quality. It's also a bit squeaky because of the plastic, just be aware.

>implying wire with gain exists
all of these supposedly neutral amps color the sound far worse than anything that picks a coloration and designs around it

thread is literally pointless, just eq

No wonder you have no gf user if you don't buy anything for her birthday.
Thanks bro, she definitively doesn't want anything squeaky. She tried my old Siberia v3 and hated it so I best look for something else.

Attached: 96459082-C248-43D5-80C7-690E49149F3A.jpg (4032x3024, 3.14M)

Any good USB-C headphones, or will I need an adapter?
>HTC U11

>supposedly neutral amps
Its not about the amp, its about the dac. And when it comes to dacs simpler is better. I am perfectly aware that if you want high powered amp that doesnt color the sound at all, you are a lot better off buying old speaker amps... if you absolutely want to buy completely neutral dedicated headphone amp for high-end headphones, something like Lake People G109 is as cheap as you're going to get. O2 is the budget option but wont run everything and sound objectively worse.

Do you pad roll, /hpg/?

Any meausurements to back this up? Coloration (change in FR) is very easy to measure.

If the squeakiness is a deal breaker you could check out the Logitech G233 (or G433 if you want the surround sound meme). Seems like it doesn't squeak at all here: youtube.com/watch?v=mvELyEy9uVA&t=1m35s

Alright audiofa/g/s, looking to buy some headphones. I was going to buy Oppo PM-3 but then foubd out that the faux leather ear pads are of shit quality, will tear and you'd have to replace the whole headset when they happens.

>Budget

Max £600-£700

>Location

United Caliphate

>Source

Mainly for a PC, would buy an amp and a DAC if it's really necessary.

>Open or closed

Closed

>Comfort level

Comfortable, would wear them for hours every single day.

Stretch your budget to HD820, and distance yourself from the riffraff that will never be able to afford them.

Good idea at that point to avoid pm3. I'm the creator of pic related and its why I didn't buy them.
I suggest getting cheap closed backs and a good open back.
At your price range there are not many options for good closed backs.
The closest thing I can think of is the double quarter pounder with cheese t50rp aeon flow closed.
Just get an msr7 and a used lcd2 or hd600.

>hurr they are unlistenable
>muh hd6xx meme
>muh FANCIER HEADPHONES meme

I got them exactly because a lot of Sennheiser headphones sound shitty to me with their super flat, rolled-off-everything sound 'signature'.

Different people like different things, fags. I like muh treble.

Low IQ post

Can Jow Forums shill me something that matches these criteria?
>Closed back with noise isolation since I will be using it in public
>Supports both bluetooth wireless connection and wired connection
>Resilient against sweat (will be using it in the gym too)
>Budget is 100 Euros, can pay more if worth it
>I live in Germoney

Alright thanks

While I like your headphones, just stop with the fucking LOOK AT ME SO INNOVATIVE MUSIC PRODUCER-put-plugs-and-potentiometers-in-wood shit. It looks cringy as fuck.

Also, you can't even afford a fucking table.

If you want over-ear headphones with bluetooth that you want to be able to use in public, look into sony or bose wireless ANC headphones. For Bose the QC35, and for Sony there's multiple options. I personally have the MDR100ABN, but I think they retired that in favor of a newer version with a different code.

I'm very happy with them for mobile use, battery actually lasts for 24 hours, and on planes they're a super godsend.

I don’t mind how it looks. Just waiting around for UPS and the post to deliver.

UK lurker here, what's the best

Hey man I like bright headphones too, but more like hd800/dt1990 bright. The dt990 is actually unlistenable to me now. You can get used to the treble if you've never heard anything else but now that I have multiple headphones I never use them.

Sennheiser HD 4.40 or 4.50? Or something in that range with BT

DT1990 or HD800, and why?
Looking for opinions from people who actually own the headphones, graph readers and NHAs need not apply.

I bought a pair of Bluetooth headphones for $100 and it's rather clear that the Bluetooth is holding them back. I would try to get something that supports one of the new codecs like LDAC or aptxhd. Check beyer, senn, sony, etc to see who is offering a product with it. I wouldn't buy anything Bluetooth without it.

well, of course 500+$ headphones are better than 150$ ones.

At least they *should* be.

Even just the dt880 is miles better than the dt990. There are plenty of headphones at that price that don't have such horrible treble.

I had both the DT880 and the DT990 to test. The 880 sounded too boring.

I asked in the previous thread for an upgrade to my current ER4SR and was recc'd the AF180's but would that be an upgrade to my current IEMs? I've heard some mixed things about it in reviews.

I did notice from testing that the sound quality was just ok, any recommends with those codecs around 100-200 € mark?
I live in northern europe if that matters

Anyone from Europe order a Schiit stack? Shipping seems pretty expensive, and there'll also be customs.

>upgrade to my current ER4SR
How so? You need to explain how you want the new to seem better.

>DT1990 or HD800, and why?
>Looking for opinions from people who actually own the headphones, graph readers and NHAs need not apply.
I own a DT1990 but not a HD800. I'm not going to argue in favor or against the HD800, but just state my opinion on the 1990 : if you want a bassy open headphone that does it tastefully, without overdoing it, the DT1990 is just about perfect. With the B pads they have some seriously impactful bass. With the A pads they sound like a more full bodied DT880. They're sold with two pair of pads and those pads seriously change the character of the headphone tuning in a well done way, it's like owning two headphones.
The build quality is exquisite, they're sold with a healthy amount of accessories (two cables, one coiled, one that isn't, a decent protective case) but there's a heavy minus in terms of comfort. They clamp more than the older pro DT, which were also quite clampy. If comfort is important to you I'd say this can be a deal breaker.
Soundstage seems accurate. It's neither wide ala AKG nor closed in ala HD650.

Attached: 1990.jpg (802x668, 166K)

Final E3000 for 49 GBP

>SONY H.EAR SERIES WH-H900N BLUETOOTH
I found these for around 179€

Can you fix the clamp by bending the metal headband? I did this with my 880 pros and they were super comfortable after that.