/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1502257172433.png (680x449, 163K)

Other urls found in this thread:

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27591/?product=97185
opendesktop.org/p/1226130/
opendesktop.org/p/1002417/
gist.github.com/herbmillerjr/a48314d18d65a60ee22c40790aaafc0b#file-virtualbox-modules-5-1-22-page-table-patch
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/locale
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wanna watch the 1080p movies I have on my desktop on my $100 laptop. It doesn't support 10-bit video at all, so I want a easy way to transcode it on the fly so I can watch it easily with mpv. Any ideas?

Buy a new laptop.

plex

>void devs posting pony shit again

Attached: 1519463707361.jpg (600x532, 42K)

is ext4 ok file system for (storage) hard drives?

Yes, ext4 is the jack-of-all-trades of Linux filesystems.

This is a normal mechanical drive that I would just fill and file to a cabinet.

one of the trades jackext4 is good at

>storage
Use xfs

What do you use as a / instead of a login manager?
LightDM is buggy as shit.

slim

Dropbox won't work on my Ubuntu 17.10 :(

1. open terminal
2. try to start the dropbox client (it's in ~/.dropbox-dist//dropbox )
3. watch and post the error messages

Should I libreboot or coreboot my T410?

I advise against corebooting/librebooting a laptop "just for the hell of it".

If you have any legit reason to do it and you have confidence that you can do it without bricking your laptop AND coreboot/libreboot supports your laptop well then yes, install it.

Thank you. Out of curiosity does having full disc encryption fuck with the boot?(The demos I have seen always just take the user to login)

Broke my debian install trying to reinstall libc6 because wine told me to and I have urgent projects to complete tomorrow.
What do?

Boot up any live system (such as debian installers recovery mode, debian live etc), chroot into your system and try to reinstall the original libc.

Most of my shit (that doesn't work on libc) still works, but I can't install anything new because it says
>dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
>dpkg: error: 1 expected program not found in PATH or not executable
>Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
I already tried adding it to my path, doesn't work.
Sometimes it tells me to check my LANG, LC_ALL and LANGUAGE variables, but they are all what they should be.

Don't know if this would be the appropriate place to ask, but I'm having issues with capturing audio from my mic on Debian.

I recently installed Debian 9 on my laptop. For audio interface I use a Behringer UMC404HD, as I am into recording music, plus I'm just an audiofag. I have an analog condenser mic hooked up to it and a pair of headphones.

I can hear sound just fine through the headphones running through the interface, however, the mic will not pic up any audio. The computer recognizes that there is a line for sound input and i can select the line as my main sound input, but it does not actually record. In short: It can detect that there is a mic, but can not actually record sound.

Wondering if any fellow debian/audiofags can help me out with this dilemma, or at least push me in the appropriate troubleshooting directions.

Thanks in advance :)

Attached: catAudioFag.jpg (3264x2448, 956K)

>Opening terminal and using Neofetch
CPU soft lockup
>Pressing Screenshot hotkey on the keyboard
CPU soft lockup
>Moving the Mouse (touchpad) too early after I have started the laptop (XPS 9560)
CPU soft lockup

Ubuntu 17.10, fug.

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27591/?product=97185

This is microcode for 7700HQ i7 I have.
I will try and see if updating this will improve situation

microcode.dat is in a traditional text format. It is still used in some
Linux distributions. It can be updated to the system through the old microcode
update interface which is available in the kernel with
CONFIG_MICROCODE_OLD_INTERFACE=y.

To update the microcode.dat to the system, one need:
1. Ensure the existence of /dev/cpu/microcode
2. Write microcode.dat to the file, e.g.
dd if=microcode.dat of=/dev/cpu/microcode bs=1M

intel-ucode directory contains binary microcode files named in
family-model-stepping pattern. The file is supported in most modern Linux
distributions. It's generally located in the /lib/firmware directory,
and can be updated through the microcode reload interface.

To update the intel-ucode package to the system, one need:
1. Ensure the existence of /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload
2. Copy intel-ucode directory to /lib/firmware, overwrite the files in
/lib/firmware/intel-ucode/
3. Write the reload interface to 1 to reload the microcode files, e.g.
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload

I'm going to fucking break my laptop lmao

ldconfig is in the libc-bin package.

Download the relevant libc-bin for your release and unpack it to your root, from a live system.
If you boot up a live system with dpkg you can unpack deb files
dpkg -x package.dev target_dir
dpkg -x libc-bin_2.24-11+deb9u3_amd64.deb /mnt/oldroot/

pls help
How do I fix this?

OK, it was already newest so I didn't have chanse to break my laptop
but CPU lockup and ACPI failures agalore

I used this guide to compile MPV.
Do I need to run it every time I want to update my MPV?

Attached: 1497776928881.png (1836x1282, 204K)

Do repositories adjust to their own version? Let's say I'm on Ubuntu 32 bit and I want to install postgreSQL through apt-get and there's only postgreSQL 9.x in the repo without _x6 or _x64. If I install it, am I guaranteed to get the x86 version?

Attached: 1495379471740.jpg (323x297, 17K)

hHoly cock fucking shit even typing neofetch causes cpu soft lockup

unless you changed your repository to x86_64 you'll get the right one

yes

Thanks fren.

I fucking love you man. No idea why I didn't try to install the packages from .deb files, just assumed it wouldn't work.
I didn't even have to do it from a different live system.
But I did some stupid things while libc was giving me pain, so I'm stuck on Unstable, and apparently Debian doesn't let you safely downgrade to Stable. But whatever, I was planning to reinstall anyway.

Debian is unironically the nastiest distribution to install.

Alright, thank you.

What's the current state of ganoo plus loonycs on convertible Winshit 10 tablets? I just bought a Lenovo Miix 310 and it sounds like stuff will mostly work, but little is said about how it's actually like to use.
In general for this class of devices:
Does multi-touch work?
If I swipe around the browser/file explorer, does it know I want to scroll?
What happens if I have something plugged into a USB port on the keyboard, then detach the screen? Is it just like I unplugged it, or does it explode?
What's power consumption like on these recent devices compared to Win 10?

Attached: Doggy Using Computer.jpg (600x399, 42K)

This is why I will never use Void. They cannot be trusted.

the libreboot starts before you decrypt the disk.

just insert any live distro and try it out

where should I install the bootloader? pls help, early is fine

Attached: 20180409_153148.jpg (3264x1836, 1.98M)

/dev/sda if grub2

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a way to easily transfer "non-essential" changes made in a vm over to a real system? Changes which aren't directly dependent on specific hardware of course.

For example, maybe I've been working on a highly customized vim config or firefox sandbox environment for the past few weeks and wanted to do it in a vm because I know that I'll be installing many different packages and don't want to bother with dependency optimization, but I'm really particular about which dependencies are on my real OS and will decide how I'll optimize the dependencies after I get the vm-version of the project working the way I want it to.

Is there a way to quickly bring those changes (after doing the optimization in the vm) over or do I have to do it by hand? Obviously, the vm I'd be using for testing would more or less be the same as my real system, just different "essential" system setting, such ram, cpu, kernel settings, ect.

Do it by hand.

Well shit. Guess I'll continue with my habit of documenting everything...

Still waiting for it to arrive and I was hoping for some kind user to give me the secret sauce for it to work flawlessly from the get-go

Attached: cute-boston-terrier-puppy-sleeping-on-computer.jpg (600x400, 168K)

well I have the Acer Aspire Switch 11 SW5-171 and the (bluetooth?) keyboard did not work initially but after about a year or so the kernels supported it out of the box, thereafter I only ran it without DE so never used touchscreen outside of browsers but there it worked out of the box

After years of distro hopping, anyone else came to the same conclusion to settle at Debian because it's just the golden cut?

Attached: 52de7c0285b801cfb95f0b586915e0770f76bc9669c6498020b4c2567d4a64e0.jpg (800x807, 340K)

Been getting this error in boot for the pat few days. I suspect that it's got something to do with the crap that I installed to quickly get a printer to work. Is there a quick and easy fix? I'd be happy to just uninstall the shit that I've got (if I even knew how), but this feel like a common issue.

Attached: Selection_003.png (769x605, 55K)

How do I backup my Debian system so that I can just put it on a new hard drive if I ever have to replace the one in my laptop? Any imaging tools or rsync?

Is Ubuntu for phone/tablets dead, or is there a way I can use a smartphone or tablet without fucking iOS or Android?

Ubuntu is dead. Install lineage os.

Male a partition or backup you home directory and write a script for installing your favorite programs.

just backup ur home, that's where are all the configs

dd disc to backup
dd backup to disc

Glad I asked, never heard of Lineage OS but it looks exactly like what I want. Thanks!

LineageOS is literally a android fork user

Why is it that the only nice _original_ retro looking icon themes you can find are all for KDE?
GTK only has web-2.0/"flat" and the ten thousand or so "remakes" of windows/mac icon themes are the closest you can get, but they're not original.

and btw, I'm not interested in old icon themes to actually have a "retro" desktop or anything edgy like that. I just love how they look. For example
opendesktop.org/p/1226130/
opendesktop.org/p/1002417/
They have so much more character to them than the modern uniform and sterile looking shit everyone makes now which just feel so plain and lifeless.

These for if you just want to back up your files and program config

This if you want to image the entire system so you can restore it verbatim onto a new hard drive

This isn't Windows; you can just image your virtual hard drive onto your real computer and it will just detect the change in hardware just fine. I think there's a vboxmanage command to convert from vdi to a raw image. Then you can just dd it onto your physical drive and expand to fill later.

Alternatively, just tar up your ~ and extract it on your real install.

Long story short I tried a few one-liners from stackoverflow to upgrade all python packages with pip at once and now the permissions on the packages have some kind of problem since some were normal packages installed with apt and some explicitly installed with pip. pip install doesn't include the --user flag anymore and tries to install packages into /usr/local instead of ~/.local. I have to add --user manually. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to fix this?

Attached: If+anyone+has+that+pepe+id+appreciate+it+_1b3ddbf7efabbfc18f9ad30121a46e14.jpg (655x527, 44K)

so I installed linux mint, now what?

enjoy sunshine brother

If by Debian you mean Debian Sid, then yes.

Trying to install virtualbox on Ubuntu 17.10, and I keep getting an error with vboxdrv.sh failing to build kernel modules. Here is a copy of the end of vbox-install.log file with some errors at the end. Can any user help a brainlet out?
justpaste DOT it/1jepc

Attached: 1478473926406.png (788x872, 1.23M)

Actually I guess you can use KDE themes, but just have to modify the index.theme a bit. Setting "Type=Scalable\nMinSize=16\nMaxSize=" on each of the directories.

Yeah, first remove everything you installed with pip. Then reinstall all the python packages your distro has marked installed, because you fucked all those up. Next time use virtualenv if you want to pull in newer packages with pip for certain programs.

>Ubuntu 17.10
>KDE Plasma
>Only a black monitor with mouse appears
?

> so I installed linux mint, now what?
Uninstall and install Debian

What version of vbox? Try >=5.2.0

5.1.14/18
Those are the versions listed as compatible with the box I am building with packer and vagrant
Installing a the latest version results in a successful install but a failed build when bringing the vagrant box up
This is for building metasploitable3 btw

Try this patch: gist.github.com/herbmillerjr/a48314d18d65a60ee22c40790aaafc0b#file-virtualbox-modules-5-1-22-page-table-patch

Will this delet system 32?

I am running kernel 4.13, will that matter?

Linux?

No, but if you're going to be hacking on metasploitable you better know damn well how to read a patch.

This patch applies to all versions >=4.12.0

Not him, but I use Arch linux.

>Not him, but I use Arch linux.
designated

You're lucky, I'm on Arch as well.

what's the difference between arch linux and normal linux?

I've been having trouble installing debian, it fucks up at the select and install software section every time and makes me try again
It just failed again at the very end when trying to prepare pic related
what should I do and can I fix this?
It won't let me install the grub boot loader either

Attached: 20180409_213339.jpg (4032x3024, 3.82M)

Fixed pic

Attached: Screenshot_20180409-215301.jpg (1049x776, 435K)

So, I'm on Debian trying to configure i3status to show my CPU temp.
The default path "/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp1_input" doesn't work.
How do I get it to show me the temp through lm-sensors or anything else?
/etc/modules didn't work.
What do I need to put in path?
Looking around in search engines didn't help, at best they said to write a external script outside i3status to make it use lm-sensors.

maybe your mobo isn't supported.
did you try sensors-detect?

>did you try sensors-detect?
Yes, lm-sensors works flawlessly, I just want to get that info to display on my i3bar.

Really just write your own script. You'd be done already instead of fighting with search engines.
Here's the completely shitty one I use.
#!/usr/bin/pypy3 -OO

from subprocess import check_output
txt = check_output(('sensors','radeon-pci-0100','coretemp-isa-0000'), universal_newlines=True)

# Slice exactly instead of finding the text since this gets called often
cpu = txt[150:156]
rad = txt[52:58]
print(cpu,rad)

Wouldn't your life be easier with kvm/qemu?

I guess I will. Thank you for that.
Thing is, I've never used a script before nor have any idea of what to do with that block of text. Which is why I didn't consider a script a solution.
Where do I put it? How do I run it? How do it tell i3status.conf about it?
Can you explain step by step what do I do with that code to achieve my goal please?

Why are these just boxes instead of dots?

Attached: 2018-04-10-020509_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 187K)

Create a text file with that in it.
Probably change "pypy" to "python" to save yourself a headache.
Change the radeon and coretemp arguments to match your hardware, and adjust the slice numbers to match your system's output.
chmod +x [the file].
Either add the folder the file is in to $PATH, or ln -s the file into a folder that is already in $PATH.
Tell i3 to call the file by its name.

>A graphical activity monitor for the command line. Written in node.js.
lol

Why shouldn't you?
Seems like a fun thing to try

Set the locale to UTF-8.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/locale

Holy shit thats the cancerest of the cancers.

I knew, that screenshot was yesterday though, I don't know if only ncmpcpp has the problem so I tried installing other programs, I only found vtop.
Don't worry I always use htop.
$ locale -a
C
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
POSIX

Am I doing something wrong?

Try this command: sudo modprobe vboxdrv

echo $LANG?

en_US.UTF-8

I think it's actually a missing font, what is that then?

Okay, I just installed bdf-creep and added xft:creep:size=12 to my fonts.
Thank you for helping me deduct the problem.