/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: pcbg.jpg (1179x1333, 363K)

Other urls found in this thread:

softwarebilliger.de/windows-7-professional/
youtube.com/watch?v=_Kmh4BbJPz8
pcpartpicker.com/product/7bL7YJ/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-3gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
youtube.com/watch?&v=HOjJmXhf1DY
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7b4fXH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it possible to buy a CPU without a stock cooler coming with it? Last time I built a PC I had to throw away the shitty stock HSF, seemed like a waste of money.

Is there decent way to get windows 7? I am not a fan of 10 and would like to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Intel overclocking CPUs don't come with any, same with the AMD X CPUs starting with the 1600X (although they also cost more so really getting a stock cooler is not a waste of money).

thanks

In Germany you can buy the key for 12€ at this website

Attached: dota2-696x391.jpg (696x391, 63K)

Is this a missing link or am I being played because I honestly can't tell

Hey, question about airflow.

I've got a 280mm rad on the front of my case, with 2 industrial noctuas pushing in air from the front. Now, there's not a super huge amount of air pushing out the other side of the rad for obvious reasons.

I'm replacing the stock case fans on the top and back of the case, though. There's room for a 120 on the back, and up to 2 140s on the top, I think. Worried about net pressure, though. Since there's low air flow coming from the front, I don't want to end up with negative pressure, pulling a bunch of dust, but I also don't want to pull in air from the top or back, since, again, dust. Also, pulling in air from the top of the case seems dumb because the heat is going to rise. What do.

Turn down the fan speeds on your exhaust

softwarebilliger.de/windows-7-professional/

Attached: 20170205212011_1.jpg (1920x1080, 362K)

Nice, grabbed a copy. Saw some stores in the UK selling the same thing for £150, weird.

It's the difference between retail keys and keys that could be from anywhere (but the good sellers provide ones that don't get shoah'd in 6 months)

Rate my low-budget build. I assembled it recently.
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX (LGA 1155)
CPU: i5-2500K
Memory: 8gb of RAM (two sticks of Kingston HyperX)
HDD: WD Black 1 TB
GPU: Palit 1050Ti
CPU Cooler: Gammaxx 300
Case: Aerocool AERO-300
Power Supply: HuntKey GS550
Two case fans 120mm each.
Most of this was, of cource, used before, but everything is in perfect or almost perfect condition. Total cost was less than 500$.

Attached: _xawJQKomVQ.jpg (1632x918, 314K)

Any recommendations for an ultrawide monitor?
No gaming and light video work so image quality's the main focus. Budget's pretty flexible, but don't wanna go too crazy since it's not gonna see any industrial-grade use.

>still running a C2Q Q9550
>desire to upgrade is starting to get overwhelming
>thinking of getting a cheapish ryzen 1600 meme but can't pull the trigger because new gen is coming up and want to see some benches
>be sure that 1st gen will go out-of-stock before you decide
>deep inside know that intel would be better because gay men
>ram and gpus cost too fucking much anyhows
sucks to be in downward spiral of indecisiveness

Attached: suicide-gun1.jpg (426x282, 20K)

Why won't you buy Xeon x3440? I've seen many builds based on it with total price about like 400$.

Get the 1600 since you have a GPU bottleneck either way

>Total cost was less than 500$.
hobo
Enjoy though good job

Pretty much this.
If you are not running GPU better than 1070 you are not going to notice any difference between Intel and AMD

And even if you are you have to be doing it at 1080p

>cheapish ryzen 1600
literally nothing cheap about it.
the fucking starting price is more than their previous CPU msrp

But GPU is the easiest part to upgrade when/if they get reasonably priced again so cpu performance withing next few years kinda matters. But yeah, I know I'm overthinking this shit and should just get whatever.

Nice, what games are you playing?

Probably 27" - 32" 3440 x 1440 IPS

AM4 CPUs are going to be around for a few years too
Probably until PCIe 4/DDR5/SATA 4

It's $150-170 for 12 threads
That's literally a better value than the 1200

War Thunder, max graphics, stable 65-75 FPS.
MGS 5, didn't measure FPS, but it's comfortable.
Now i'm gonna try Kingdom Come.

>if they get reasonably priced again
Will this ever happen? I don't follow the crypto mining scene so I don't know if buying overpriced gpus will become more expensive than the profit they can return. And even if that can happen, how long will it take?

Currently, the gpu I'm eyeing (1060 6gb gaming x) is worth more than twice my cpu (1600), heh.

>Multi-core doesn't matter!
>Productivity doesn't matter!
>Price/performance doesn't matter!
>Performance per watt doesn't matter!
>Power usage doesn't matter!
>Temperatures don't matter!
>Soldered dies don't matter!
>Stutters don't matter!
>Streaming doesn't matter!
>Data centers don't matter!
>Locked CPUs don't matter!
>OEMs don't matter!
>Hyperscalers don't matter!
>Upgradeability doesn't matter!
>Anti-competitive business practices don't matter!
>Locked platform features don't matter!
>Synthetic loads don't matter!
>Burnt pins don't matter!
>CPU exploits don't matter!
>*NEW* ECC support doesn't matter!
>*NEW* PCI-e lanes don't matter!
>*NEW* Power draw several times the TDP doesn't matter!

Attached: 1492855909643.png (1228x1502, 944K)

Is there any news on new ryzen cpus and nvidias cards? Probably building a new pc in few months and getting a 1600x and 1080 doesn't feel that sensible decision to do.

>but why not going for i5?
Fuck intel.

Threadripper 2 in second half of 2018. Probably no new consumer cards from Nvidia this year

Zen+ in 10 days.

That's it? What the fuck. Might as well go crazy and get a R7 and 1080ti then.

So I need to test a new GPU in my current system.
Is it as simple as installing it and the drivers? Or do I have to uninstall my current (Nvidia) drivers, for the new AMD drivers to work?

Do I really have to go through and dismantle your "argument" point by point? Because I can

Personally I'd uninstall the old drivers, but it is possible to run Nvidia and Radeon graphics cards at the same time

Come back in a few months then and don't bother asking now

Launched Kingdom Come. 30-40 FPS, FullHD, medium settings. And this is in stock, not even turbo mode.

So if I get a motherboard for the 2400g, it SHOULD have an compatible bios by now right?
I'm spacing it out because I don't wanna have to deal with the bullshit, but it's been 2 months since the launch of the chips.

I have an Asus ROG Impact VII ITX motherboard that refuses to boot, the bios led flashes and the cpu fan spins a little, then stops. It posts q-code 00.

I've tried bios reflash, replacing the bios chip and reseating the power cords. Any ideas?

I'm tired of waiting. Is this build any good? Need validation on ram and mobo.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (565x468, 53K)

Sorry but MUH GAYMANS
Rypoo didnt deliver the fps that i want

lol at you dinosaurs for still building pc's.
You can get laptops at a comparable price nowadays.

Laptops are fine if portability is required. Desktops have the advantage of customization, easier upgradability, better price to performance, and better thermals. Different things for different purposes

Did you check on the compability of the ram? Very imporatnt.

Most of the time you have to upgrade everything anyways.
Oh I want a better cpu, but I have to upgrade the motherboard too, oh but I need more ram too...

It says it will run at 2933.

>Do I really have to go through and dismantle your "argument" point by point? Because I can
I'm not but i would really appreciate it, i don't know much but the memes seem accurate

Attached: IMG_5219.jpg (535x755, 41K)

I wish I had money for a new rig.

Attached: 1504369610001.png (1615x1600, 261K)

>>Oh I want a better cpu, but I have to upgrade the motherboard too, oh but I need more ram too...
this is exactly my problem right now
I might as well just get a whole new pc since most of my parts are 6 years old, the only relatively new is my gtx 1070 and that's almost 2 years old at this point

I figure I'll build a new pc towards the end of the year if intel's next cpus are out by then, either their cpus will be better than amd's next cpus or they won't and amd's cpus will be cheaper

youtube.com/watch?v=_Kmh4BbJPz8

Attached: 1521707147223.gif (499x341, 1.09M)

Start flipping burgers user.

Hey guys I have a question, I bought a b350 AMD Motherboard to buy a Ryzen 1800X CPU, but then I found out about the new Ryzen CPUs that will be coming this month. My question is, since I already bought the motherboard, should I get the new CPU or is the 1800X better?

I'm unironcially going to buy a mac once my 1080 stops being enough

1800x is overpriced. 1700 can be overclocked to the same performance. Unless you don't want to. But yeah it will be better since it's releasing pretty soon. Just need to update the bios.

are RAM prices going down?

Attached: thumb-1920-889462.jpg (1920x1080, 556K)

SU800 is a bad ssd.

Its not, still he should be looking for a 860 EVO.

The SU800 is what you get for a simple laptop or a simple build.

Would anyone mind giving me an opinion on the price of my old parts? Trying to sell them to put towards new stuff

6600, gtx 970, asus z170-a, 212 evo, coolermaster 500 watt power supply.

No ram, not worth much but I was looking at 300 maybe? Too high?

>1800x
>b350
Jesus christ, do you like roasting mobos?

450. Put it in a case with a hd and sell it for 650 as a gaming pc

I'll take the 970 for $25

Thanks user, I've been thinking about keeping it for an off pc for awhile now if i could find ram at a decent enough price but I never do

>Most of the time you have to upgrade everything anyways.
I guess so if you need the best of the best or you're a dummy with poor planning skills

>I might as well just get a whole new pc since most of my parts are 6 years old
If you have Haswell just get a 4770/K

Take for instance the first point about multi-core perf not mattering.. of course it matters but only for certain applications like 7z or Blender. Gaming is a mix of multi and single and also CPU bias exists in game engines, which is why the R5 2400G isn't as good as the i7 7700 in games.

Regarding price/perf, Intel is clearly ahead in games right now. Power usage is about the same, temps are about the same at reasonable clocks, stutters are memes, steaming is a niche application, who cares about data centers and OEMs (what does this even mean?), upgradeability is about the same even with Intel switching sockets all the time, both companies have locked platform features to chipsets, CPUs exploits don't affect the consumers or prosumers, Intel has more PCIe lanes usually except in some situations, and finally the power draw _several times_ TDP is just a lie and AMD's CPUs will also draw over TDP when overclocked.

The only valid points are about anti-competitive business practices and locked CPUs, but the latter is less of an issue because most CPUs come basically clocked at their sweet spots anyway. Notice that there's a whopping 0.3GHz difference between the boost clocks of the i5 8400 and the i5 8600K at stock, and if you OC much at all you will destroy the power consumption and thermal profile. Same for AMD's CPUs, but they have more or less a hard limit at around 4GHz while Intel's CPUs have boosts over 4GHz.

Having said that I'm an AMD fan and there's certainly nothing wrong with getting AMD for gaming or any other application

Are 4K prices ever going to change?

I'm thinking of buying 3 4K monitors for dev work and desu it looks like prices haven't changed the past 2 years

GTX 970s go for around $250 USD on ebay. i5-6600 is still a high clocked quadcore which is at least worth $150 USD, if K then $180 USD. I think your best bet is selling the system and GPU separately. You can't really sell a system without RAM though.

You could do a motherboard/CPU combo though for around $225 I think.

Consider the MX330, these are cheaper
pcpartpicker.com/product/7bL7YJ/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-3gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
If possible get a B350-F Rog Strix and a 620 EVO. I have that motherboard, it works great though I haven't overclocked yet, I'm benchmarking some games to see the difference. According to this guy it can overclock a 1700
youtube.com/watch?&v=HOjJmXhf1DY

Attached: Specs.png (1413x736, 105K)

>i5-6600 is still a high clocked quadcore which is at least worth $150 USD,
i3 8100 is better and sells for 120USD new, so no the i5 6600 is not worth 150USD.

I would just update the BIOS on the mobo and get a 7700/K. No reason to sell the whole platform, but the 970 is worth about 200USD and falling quickly, CPU is worth $120 or less, the mobo is probably worth $80, PSU $35, and cooler $15. You can also just look at the 'sold listings' on ebay for your components

>>If you have Haswell just get a 4770/K
I have an ivybridge so the highest I can go is like a 3770k, right now I have a 3570k

3770K would be a great CPU; you should check out some benchmarks. You'll be graphics limited in most cases as long as you have an appropriately paired graphics card and resolution

which specifications should I look for an UPS? I heard I need it to protect Raid 0 configurations

My pc has a gold 650w power supply, ryzen 1700 gtx 1070

>Raid 0
Don't

It's just for storing shitty games and make them load a bit faster, is it still bad? should I use something else instead?

R7 1700 with 1080ti @1440p. 144hz yes/no?

any ideas?

SU800 is a sub-standard analog of MX300. Same memory chips, worse performance and reliability.

wait 10 days for new ryzen

RAID 5, but if the data isn't important to you, you can use RAID 0. An SSD would be a better buy than a UPS

R5 1600/X would be about the same and cheaper. You can upgrade to a better 8 core later (or maybe even 12c depending on a lot of factors)

Already have the 1700 so id like to upgrade to 1440p if possible w/o swapping the cpu.

You're fine then

why?

3770k is like $500 so I think I'm just gonna skip that and wait for the next series of cpus
I'd like to upgrade to 1440p/144hz eventually too

>3770k is like $500
It's about $175-200 used. No one buys new hardware years later. It'll always be cost prohibitive

The cheaper B350 boards have bad VRMs so to overclock a R7 you should get one with more power phases. I'd recommend the B350-F Rog Strix (4+4) or the Gaming K4 (9+2) or the AX370 K5 (6+2), K7 (10 phase) or Crosshair VI (12 phase)

Do I need another cpu to update the BIOS? (R3 2200G + GA-AB350-GAMING 3)

I can find it for $60 used.

Basically, anything with a minimum of 4 CPU phases is recommended, exception being the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, which has 3 CPU phases, but overclocks like no ones business because it's so overbuilt.

Reports say no, but there's no guarantee

I would think 4 would be barely enough, even with heatsinks on the VRMs

I'm currently researching about what hardware to get. I come from a 5820K (4.4 @1.4V). Currently I'm sitting on a shitty Phenom housed in my highend build, I already have a Titanium PSU, H150+6 fans, 2 TB SSD, 1080 Ti.I put the 16 GB lowend RAM into my other build so I need to buy different RAM.

AIM: Ryzen 2700X, H150i cooled max OC

- Budget: 1000 €
This doesn't mean I want to waste it. I'm up to 1K, if I have money left I may buy a better chair because my current one starts to fall appart
- Mainboard: 99% ASUS. Best brand when it comes to OC, durability and BIOS. I love the BIOS fan settings and know other manufacturers have worse fan controls. Options
>Prime X470 Pro
Basic option, seems to be a non-gaming branded design, cheaper, I actually prefer its design (Had the X99 / 3.1 before)
>Strix X470
ROG board, does it have any advantages or is it only gaming branded?
>Crosshair X470
Top of the line, could fit in the budget, but worth it? I once had a Maximus V Formula, great board, but overkill in the end. So the only thing that counts is better VRMs. I use a dedicated sound card, so sound is no issue.

-RAM:
I'm pretty unsure if I should go for 16 or 32 GB, 4x8, 2x8 or 2x16. People tell dualrank OC worse, but just in the case RAM gets cheaper I would get 64 GB for total overkill (And RAMdisk fun).

Also, which RAM should I get? I aim for the Gskill Trident Z RGB. RGB is a must, obviously, the Tridents look better than Corsair and have better latencies. I was told 3200 CL14 and 3600 onwards are excklusively Samsung BDies.

-Cooling upgrade: Would you add another 3 ML fans for 360 AIO to improve airflow andcooling? How do I connect them properly, 3 Y adapters for each cable?

Also, my build. Imagine it with something shiny.

Oh, and I do mostly gayming, some video editing. Windows 8.1 on 4K.

Attached: DSC_0013.jpg (3840x2160, 1.91M)

Give it a try, if it isn't updated and your motherboard doesn't have this sticker you can have it updated at any retailer (call and ask around for prices) or you could request a boot kit for free
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Attached: Ryzen-2000-Ready.png (1158x646, 414K)

I have an 8600k installed in a z370 carbon. Do I need to mess with any of the more in depth settings to OC it to 4.2 or are the base voltages and whatnot fine for it? I know literal dick about OC'ing shit

You have to douse it in gasoline before starting any overclocking

just do it, if it fails it wont boot and you can restore it in the bios, if it's too much your PC will just crash or shutter often. Watch the temps so it stays around 70°C, max 80°C if you don't give a shit.

Try switching it to 4.0 first, see how it goes with your setup while running Prime95 torture test. If it's stable for 15 minutes turn it up again to 4.1, then repeat, if it's stable at 4.2, that's fine, if it crashes, you'll have to start incrementally raising the voltage until it works (watch temps as the other user said)

when do you guys determine when to upgrade your PC?

>when your games/programs cannot run properly
>when your hardware is failing/dying
>when your PC crashes randomly due to hardware/software related issues

I don't bother upgrading unless I really need it. what do you have and ill let you know if i would upgrade or not.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7b4fXH

When I see something I don't actually need but want it so bad

is this what you have or what you want?

this is what i have right now

If you want to get new stuff, buy a new case, a nicer one. and maybe a nicer monitor and use the current one as your second monitor. maybe a 240hz 24" screen perhaps.

it's called "tray" you save 3-4%

Any leaf fags who've had experience with the site Vuugo. I ended up not buying anything from them because of shitty shipping standards but they seemed pretty sketchy.