I feel like my computer Engineering course is trash. EU guy. Almost done first year

I feel like my computer Engineering course is trash. EU guy. Almost done first year
>Java is the only language we are studying for 4 years

I had no choice of picking what college I was going too become of the location I live in. I don't want to drop out of college.

Attached: Shinji_Crying_EoE.png (853x480, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62-s?setAcc=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

k

Java is a useful language. You should still learn a lot about programming in general, take those skills and learn other languages on your own time

once you learn one language, the others get easier. It's just a matter of switching terms and syntax.

>EU
Just fucking say which country you're from you imbecile. God I hate you fags so much.

not him but I hate when people say this
>yeah it will totally be useful too, right! it's just 4 years of your own time and money, get over it! it will give you skills, skills to learn everything yourself!
this is some Karate Kid logic, wax on/wax off and then go learn actual karate yourself.

Let me guess. TU/e eindhoven

Almost done the year and we only know the basics.
I actually don't know anything. The source material was just a bunch of printed out papers with no detailed explanations on what a single word means.

Potatoe Country

Is tuition cheap? You get a degree for credibility, you teach yourself.

>CS is a joke degree compared to computer en-

3k, since I'm a poor fag it's free.

We all know, that college is only needed for certificate, so employer can employ you.
They've taught me nothing in university. Good thing is that education in our shithole is free.

College is useful if you're too lazy to learn things on your own and need a kickstart, what and how well they can teach you depends obviously on the college. If this helps: Java is definetly
useful and usually better paid than C# (I'm a .NET developer)

You went to a bad school

My college time was invaluable. I learned great unique shit from really smart phds.

Ireland? Romania? Kazakhstan?

Where did you go?

You learned nothing you couldn't have learned by studying the shit on your own.

100% disagree. I was able to learn a way of thinking about a certain branch of math in a way that nobody else does.
It's invaluable . I would never give it up

Бeлapycь?

College is necessary if you live in a country, like Italy, where credentialism is so crazy that you literally cannot get an actual job without a degree.
Seriously, you won't even get an interview if they don't see it on your resume.
Of course by "necessary" I mean that you need it to get the piece of paper.
But actual learning? Oh, not a chance. I learned ten times more stuff when studying on my own than when I was in college.

Then answer

they're both shit. either way you're going to work yourself to death

do a cybersecurity, get bitches and money doing a bunch of retarded shit, and retire at 55 with a bourgeoisie mcmansion like all the other faggots

Additionally

Being able to discuss shit as if I was an equal with MIT,Harvard, and Berkeley PHDs who were not only very successful in academia but also had great industry experience was incredibly valuable .

The average class size for my courses was around 10 people and my math classes had 3 people in them . We really did cover a lot of amazing niche shit I wouldn't have even known existed much less have resources to study from .

I would actually DOX myself if I gave the answer .

Thanks for proving you're full of shit then.

Engineering on USA is trash, at least you are in MIT but you will never overpass chinks and loo pooers.

Why are you so determined to believe it doesn't exist

>my math classes had 3 people in them
wat

If you think the lectures are about learning the programming language, it means that you've still got a lot to learn and it's a good you don't have to switch languages.
And really learning the programming language is the smallest part and if you could stop complaining and do your Java homework, you will have no problem doing things in C++ or any language similar to that in the future.

It's not that I'm determined to believe it doesn't exist when your statements are so abstract.
Do you really expect people to believe you with so little information? Come on, grow up.
At this point what I'm starting to actually believe is that you're a shill paid by whatever college.

don't worry about it OP, java isn't even bad despite what Jow Forums will tell you it's a solid language
just learn the things you're interested in by yourself, remember you're there to get a piece of paper saying you're not incompetent, anything else is a cherry on top

also don't be discouraged either by the first year courses, you start getting great professors at the later years

You can only take my word for it either way even if I did provide more "concrete" info.
If I'm a shill why won't I say the name?
What do I possibly have to gain by lying?
You tell me to grow up but are so pointlessly combative

I believe him. He didn't speak in abstract terms, he said college gave him access to very qualified professors that he could talk to as a peer. If you don't see the value in being mentored by brilliant people then that's your own problem.

I know you don't wanna dox yourself but do you have any book recommendations?

What did he mean by this?

Attached: 1496054312393.png (1751x392, 62K)

don't know why this paranoid android deleted all his posts when he barely even gave out any revealing information. This is what falling for too many Jow Forums 'botnet' memes does to you

More like he was, in fact, full of shit.

user, the thing is that relying on others to give you "X" is just the sure way to end in hell

Get your shit together, if you don't like Java learn something else. I don't know how your life is, but if you're complaining about not learning enough while trough the day you do nothing with your free time but jack off to anime and play videogames then there's something wrong going on.

Get that degree and more than that become the top of the top of whatever you want to be

Its University, you are not going to spoon fed, you need to actually take ownership of your own learning otherwise it will be a complete waste.

This is exactly why college is a meme. You can (and should) do this perfectly well without going to college.
The whole point of college, whether you like it or not, is not learning. Is getting the degree. Period.

Java is usefull language. One of languages that guarantees job.

As for your uni education level - it's not school. They will not feed you information. Go learn something yourself.

I agree, I'm completely self taught, landed a job in the industry immediately. But it is a career limiting move, some companies are very picky about people who don't have their sheet of paper.

>But it is a career limiting move, some companies are very picky about people who don't have their sheet of paper.
Yes, and that's exactly why I'm saying this despite having a degree myself.
Now, pay attention, I'm not saying that college is USELESS to learn: if you are lucky enough to end up in a school with a good overall program and most importantly COMPETENT PROFESSORS, then it will certainly help you to learn and give you guidance.
But it's in no way NECESSARY to actually acquire that knowledge and those skills.
Despite believing it's still somewhat of a meme, I don't regret going to college: I did learn a lot, some professors were good (albeit some also were shit) and it got me that neat degree that employers crave.
But if I said I couldn't have done it on my own without it, I would just be deluding myself.

The only reason I went there in the first place is for the piece of paper. I don't feel ashamed about saying this because it's the plain truth, and I think it's a perfectly valid reason to go to college.

The while statement is faster than the for. Use short arrays for settings, stay away from Boolean or boolean. Learn to terminate the if else statements with one liner shift bitwise compares. That requires you learning Assembly, of where 4 years of Java be excellent. Remember, the best can program in Assembly with any language. Secret Proverb

>>The while statement is faster than the for.
Complete bullshit. What matters in the end is the speed of the compiled code.
while(condition) {}
and
for(; condition;) {}
Will be compiled identically by most compilers.

You want a well paying job? That's what Java is for, that's why they teach it.

The employer can be shit and just paper

There is a long fight on Stack Overflow, it was finished by a slight advantage over for, with lots of number crunching in spawned nested loops.

I've written several Java programs for a decade, including over 20 apps for Android; including user related ones.

Latvia I'm guessing

Since this seems to be the general degree thread...

What would be your immediate reaction if you saw this on my resume/CV?
open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62-s?setAcc=true
(select England if it asks for a country)

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-09-22-27-35-106.jpg (996x1708, 350K)

By "stages" what do they mean? Semesters? Years?

Nominally a year. It's called a stage because it's possible to spread it out longer than that (part time study). It's not possible to complete it in less then three academic years (except for credit transfer etc).

Fucking normie. I read your whining and I cringe. I also went to similarly shitty college (just Java and C# for 2.5 years). So what? It didn't stop me from learning C and assembly, get into open source, write useful shit. Stop expecting that interesting knowledge will get miraculously handed to you in college. Ain't gonna happen, so start learning on your own.

> What would be your immediate reaction if you saw this on my resume/CV?
Get the fuck out of here, we've got pajeets with better qualifications.

>CE
>Java
literally what the fuck, this doesn't even happen on the shittiest south American universities, I'm serious.
Are you sure you are not doing Software or Systems Engineering? That would make more sense.
Java is useless for computer engineering, it doesn't make sense.

I think you've confused me with someone else. I haven't posted in this thread prior to . I haven't yet enrolled on this degree, but I'm considering it.

I would assume you are a pajeet, put you on a black list and then burn your CV.
Just the names of the courses are the cringest of cringe, what in the fuck is even that career?

why even pay for a shitty course with Java and C#? I would literally rather kill myself. Just learn on your own, C and Assembly are markets where there isn't that much competition anyway.
Or at lest if you are really interested in low level stuff and there is no decent career in systems, do Electronics instead.
In my available shitty universities at least I get to program with Pascal, Assembly and C++ in EE or eng tech. Instead of Poova and C#

this desu senpai. my CE degree was basically an EE degree for the first two years and then you can decide which path you want to go. java can teach you some basic programming things but it is so ridiculously high level.

if you are studying java for 4 years then you're not getting a computer engineering.

CS grad here. I was a self-taught programmer for 3 years before going to school. I knew enough to make simple games, web sites and scripts, and could more often than not come up with a solution that kinda worked after Googling any problems. That being said, I probably learned at least 60% of what I know now while in university. Just a lot of stuff about how computers work in general and what's going on under the hood, so to speak. There was also number theory, graph theory, database normalization and a bunch of other stuff that never really came up when I was doing it as a hobby. Nowadays I spend a lot less time Googling stuff than I used to, and when I read my old code, I see lots of things that I could have done better.

Tl;dr it's probably worth it if you can go to a decent school AND you don't have the motivation to learn all this stuff on your own.

Autist

>Java
>Computer Engineering
Please explain what computer engineering is in your country, because in the U.S. it typically means someone that either works with hardware, or very low level software. You might get a semester of Java if it's used in the intro to computer science class you'll be required to take, but that should be about it.

They don't offer a Computer Science degree. What you saw was "Computing and IT (Software)". There's also a version that combines it with more maths modules, "Computing and IT & Mathematics". Pic related.

Attached: www.open.ac.uk_courses_qualifications_q67-citm.png (1464x8193, 1.21M)

That's not true at all. Even with motivation. It would have actually been impossible to learn this without a professor.
Only a handful of people internationally subscribed to the philosophy and no attainable texts existed, of those handful maybe two were professors and one was in my state

>revealing my college would be doxxing myself
Are you home-schooled? Unless you really are trolling, this is stupid. At least tell us what fucking region you're from.

I know I benefited a lot from having the guidance of my professors, but if someone is intelligent and motivated then I think they could understand all fundamental CS concepts by reading texts, and testing themselves using exercises from the books/internet. Most people seriously lack the motivation to teach themselves these topics with any rigor, though.

you take like 4-5 programming classes even if you're computer engineering. I did where I went.

>south america
>EU

>Almost done first year
Why do you think that idiot?

Attached: [Sephirotic] Evangelion - 12 [MULTI][BD 1080p 8bits 5.1 AAC][D31DD6E2].mkv_snapshot_20.01_[2018.02.1 (1440x1080, 243K)