>github.com/henrypp/simplewall
>imgur.com/a/g1Uqu

Attached: 1.jpg (670x335, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catalog.update.microsoft.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This shit doesn't work.

werks 4 me m8

Why aren't you reviewing updates before installing?
>in b4 but M$ forces them
you're a retard if you let that happen

Is this just another frontend for Windows Firewall?

why block updates? isn't that insecure?

Because this shit is hardwired into W10 you can't block it you fucking retard.

> Just a placebo

Why do you still use that shit for anything but games

no it's completely independent firewall and in fact it recommends disabling windows firewall when you set rules but you can leave it on if you like

literally nobody uses Windows anymore, and it would probably fall apart without constant updates

Just get them from here catalog.update.microsoft.com/

>literally nobody uses Windows anymore

Attached: os_market_share_january_2017.png (1125x735, 34K)

because windows 10 requires an external firewall to completely block telemetry/updates

Attached: ltsb_isnt_a_botnet_meme.png (1649x606, 109K)

so.. disable automatic updates to install them manually

Attached: b89e4a68b62e608a319db2529b2e57ed087b48607afae5c4a2ba3f6ca7bbbea3.jpg (636x640, 248K)

the amount of retardation in this image is impressive

several things related to telemetry and updates have hardcoded IPs that they'll talk to microsoft on, regardless of what you do in the hosts file or with software firewalls. Basically the deepest parts of the OS and network stack are gonna fight you if you try to turn this shit off.

>no really I trust this random thing I downloaded to disable the botnet properly, it totally works

Attached: why windows 10 is still a botnet.jpg (638x5176, 968K)

> January
> 2017

WTF why would I block updates? I could understand an IT syversec guy doing this for testing, but the average joe that doesnt know shit blocking updates its just asking for trouble, lik all the morons that get bitten by virus and other stuff because they didnt update their shit.

I use GNU/Linux to block Windows. Works well, I recommend it.

Attached: 1500688791400.jpg (700x453, 103K)

who are you quoting? i never said anything about downloading a random thing, just that in your example image it's straight up doing it wrong - people have known for years that blocking m$ in hosts has never worked, that hasn't been a thing since pre-XP i'm pretty sure.

the guy in your image is also doing it wrong, btw. he has "allow telemetry" set to disabled - that's wrong, all that setting does is turn off any managing of the telemetry on the user's side; it literally says this in the group policy manager. you have to enable it and set the telemetry to 0 (on enterprise and education) and then you'll get pre-10 low-level telemetry, which is barely anything at all.

i have it set-up properly and i'm looking at wireshark right now - no traffic from m$ at all at the moment.

this chart probably includes asians though

>then you'll get pre-10 low-level telemetry, which is barely anything at all.
"barely anything" != "nothing". So in other words, you can't turn off telemetry, just turn it down a little. You can't stop it from talking to MS, just make it say a little less. Why you think any telemetry at all is acceptable is beyond me.

why would I install some shitty software on my computer when I can more easily block anything coming from a windows desktop using Bind, setup on a linux machine that acts as a DNS black hole for any address I choose, not only that but I can run packet sniffing on the linux machine to search for packets matching any description and set the linux firewall to simply drop those connections

>just turn it down a little
you can turn it down to the way it was pre-10, which is what most people cry about

>Why you think any telemetry at all is acceptable is beyond me.
never said that, just said that your image examples are doing it wrong. i dont really use Windows anymore myself

OP here you fags explain this

Attached: 1.gif (1332x661, 2.15M)

pre-10 you could stop it completely. OS components respected the hosts file and you could block the update that backported telemetry.

>people have known for years that blocking m$ in hosts has never worked
Then why would you think simplewall would work? The same mechanism that allows m$ to bypass those filters allows them to bypass any software firewall, or connect via IPv6 even though the adapter settings have it turned off. If you're under the impression that they would honor simplewall's blocking or even the windows firewall, you're sorely mistaken.

>and then you'll get pre-10 low-level telemetry
not possible to get pre-10 levels of telemetry without 3rd party software and external firewalls, and not even possible to get "minimal" telemetry outside of specific versions of windows 10. Unless you want to count the telemetry updates that were pushed back to 7/8.1 after 10's release, all of which can be uninstalled since those versions actually allow you to control your individual updates.

>Then why would you think simplewall would work? The same mechanism that allows m$ to bypass those filters allows them to bypass any software firewall, or connect via IPv6 even though the adapter settings have it turned off. If you're under the impression that they would honor simplewall's blocking or even the windows firewall, you're sorely mistaken.
where in my post did i say anything about simplewall

>and not even possible to get "minimal" telemetry outside of specific versions of windows 10
this, however, i already stated in my post. can you read, my friend?

>where in my post did i say anything about simplewall
It didn't, but I'm not really sure what your point is. If you are agreeing that windows 10 will ignore the hosts file and user settings why is my image retarded? That same mechanism allows it to ignore wireshark, firewalls, etc. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. Previously versions of windows didn't actually do this when you turned the respective features/services off.

>this, however, i already stated in my post. can you read, my friend?
Well you took this out of context basically just so you could try to discredit my literacy, so I'll just assume you agree with me entirely and call you a faggot retard if you don't.

i blocked windows from updating by setting update orchestra to start in 2020

right now my real problem is windows defender, just acting and taking 25% of my ram/cpu/etc all the time

Because I got tired of searching for newest debotnetter after every nonoptional update.

If it don't broke, don't fix it.