University not teaching us skills for industry

In my second year of a CS degree and they're making us take bullshit classes about theory that have no fucking application in the real world. Theory doesn't get you a fucking job but academics don't understand that even when the ENTIRE CS undergrad group has been complaining it's not preparing us for a job.

The teaching is shit too because nobody can give it in plain English instead of fuckhuge equations. It seems like I'm taking a mathematics degree with the amount that I'm having to do.

Should I transfer to a better university that actually teaches shit thats in demand by companies? I'm in Australia for any recommendations.

Attached: images.jpg (220x229, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.cerebralab.com/#!/blog/11
cglab.ca/~michiel/TheoryOfComputation/TheoryOfComputation.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

neck yourself

CS is not programming vocational school. KYS retard.

>neurosurgeon
>why are we reading all these stupid books instead of actually fucking around in people's brains

Retake the class you failed and stop complaining about your mental deficiencies on Jow Forums

learn how to suck dick by yourself otherwise you wont ever get a job

wrong subreddit, btw

>a compile error is the same as surgery

>why isnt my cs program giving me vocational training!
fucking hate this meme. my school is falling for it, too. they have us doing pair programming on python kata instead of learning theory shit about turing machines and computability theory. i can learn that shitty programming stuff on my own thanks.

I'm paying thousands of dollars to learn how to program because I took a CS degree. I dont fucking need to know how to construct a mathematical proof because I'm not taking a mathematics degree.

>Should I transfer to a better university that actually teaches shit thats in demand by companies?
They will probably teach you the same thing. Science degrees are designed to prepare students who want to enter academia.

>falling for the university meme
should had just gone to a code bootcamp and be a code monkey.

It is if the computer is performing the surgery

>computer science
>complain about math
Great choice of a degree there user, maybe you should have done basic research of what CS is.

Also
>research degree doesn't prepare for work
No shit.

many programming languages are based upon mathematics

The entire purpose of going to university is training for a job so you can be a net benefit to society.

>I'm in Australia
Found your problem.

Though at least it's not Canada.

>Should I transfer to a better university that actually teaches shit
protipp they will have even more math and equations

Drop out, go to a coding bootcamp, and spend the rest of your life as a code monkey writing Javascript for pennies. Alternatively, embrace the theory, and find yourself at the forefront of computer science. The choice is yours, my friend.

see

>actually thinking this

Attached: 1523072961918.jpg (270x360, 31K)

The forefront is data science, AI and shit. Theory has been mostly solved since the 70s which is why you only see old fucks in theoretical CS.

tough shit, should have picked medicine if you want to help people

It's not, a research degree is to prepare you for research.
Some jobs requires you to be able to do research, hence why those degrees are beneficial in some areas.
But HR then decided that the frontend developer needs a CS degree because otherwise he can't program, and that's where we are now.

When I was in undergrad (not CS, applied STEM instead). I took a java class and man it discouraged me out of any CS.

Fast forward 10 years later and VS and C# are out. I asked around at my company what software they work with and language. Basically everyone is telling me about .Net, C#, VS and so on.

Literally picked it up 2 years ago and making programs every week or so to make my life easier.

I have no clue how schools can even pretend to teach programming when they haven't heard of any of the stuff I just mentioned.
Funny enough, javascript is much in demand because schools DO NOT TEACH this at all.

Attached: mouse.png (225x225, 3K)

Considering robots will be performing surgery in a decade or two, yes

t. reddit

You're a fucking retard. Computer Science is NOT simply about programming. It's about Computer Science. The whole thing. You should have went to a meme boot camp so you could get a code monkey job and max out at $60k a year. Loser

No, the entire point of undergrad is to prepare you for graduate school

Why do people shit on Canada here?

Finally someone that gets it.

You're earning an architectual degree but you want to be a construction worker. Astonishing. Maybe you can compete with Pajeet doing the same thing at a tenth the wage, or maybe you can stop being an insolent child and realize that computer science isn't programming.

Programming jobs start at around 100k.

>CS degree
CS is a meme degree that is basically as inapplicable as a math degree.
>they're making us take bullshit classes about theory that have no fucking application in the real world
That's what CS is about. Why do you think everyone teaching anything related to computers in high school and middle school has a CS degree? Because there's literally nothing else to work at.
>inb4 b-but 0.000004% of CS graduates get an actual practical job at Google
kek

If you wanted a degree for practical shit with computers you should have taken CE or other engineering degrees, CS is more theoretical and CE is more practical.

Still gonna have the math tho lol.

I think the best advice to give is to learn programming as a tool throughout your life and study in a degree-mandatory program. At least you will have a much sharper edge than anyone else if you can automate half the crap people slave over like proof-reading and such.

Attached: mouse icon.jpg (225x225, 5K)

being this mad
did some code monkey hurt you?

On what fucking planet?

>Programming jobs start at around 100k.
lol no, they start around 40k. The illegal Mexicans building stuff next to the road literally make more than half of programmers.

>he thinks CS = programming

IN AMERICA (to be specific Cali and NY). They're pretty much the outlier though, don't expect that much in other countries.

I've read it in news articles posted in Jow Forums career advice threads. Just Google it.

>Cali and NY
>America

you best be joking

>Cali and NY
Sweet child... Do you know how much living in those cities cost? Look up how a job market works and you'll learn that making 100k in those is like making 30k elsewhere.

Yes, this

If you want to learn programming, start programming.

CE and CS degrees include a bit of programming, but most of it is auxiliary knowledge for that area.

It's like taking a cracking/hacking course and then being confused why they're teaching networks, data structures and operating system concepts and not just metasploit.

>He thinks CE and CS are even marginally comparable

CompEs can literally build a CPU from scratch and then program it. CS babbies can barely write webapps and fingerpop their own assholes.

ITT all the sunk cost academia fags with rich parents inattentive of ROI on a degree who think Haskell and Coq can make you money.

Those are developer jobs. A lot more goes into that than just programming. To work at some place like google for example, it's really competitive just getting your foot in the door. That homebrew guy didn't get hired because he couldn't invert a binary tree. Can you?

tis truth QQ

Programming is about problem solving. You can learn a language in less than a week. You need to know how to solve problems though.
Or if you're working at a big company you need to learn how to copy and paste with slight modifications.

how did moot get a job then

how are they not in America?

I heard he's pretty good at sucking cock that faggot

Are you from America?

> Pajeet gets mad that uni wants to teach him actual knowledge

If you don’t like theory involved in a degree, your are looking for a shit tier code monkey job. Just stop wasting money on a degree.

Well shit did you not read up in your University's catalog about what you'll be learning? Community college (at least here in the states) are what gives you practical vocational experience.

The entire propose is to get an ACADEMIC degree. Retard.

>Most expensive cities in USA
Nice try

Spotted the poor code monkey

You need the sense of rigor that writing mathematical proofs teaches. If you're too bad at rigorous thinking to prove a few theorems, I would never let you work on any system that actually has to perform reliably such as software for medical machines or a pacemaker.

This is not unique to software. It goes for every other branch of engineering. I wouldn't hire an electronics engineer who doesn't know what a Fourier transform is. The discrete math that CS graduates have to deal with is kid-tier stuff in comparison.

It's like tryna design a car without understanding how cars work.

I also studied CS, and it is theory focused. If you wanted practical skills you should change to Computer Engineering

They already are in coordination with surgeons

Poor analogy. It's like practicing medicine without knowing physics, it just works.

That is probably the biggest BS pill academia will feed anyone. "You must learn from ...". In our day and age, this is obsolete the second you can read about it in a book or the internet. Your smartphone is literally a knowledge pool at your fingertips.

The top 2 things that will be the most valuable in your life are: experience and coaching. Nothing else matters unless you are able to self-teach from reading.

All this "rigor" crap is as stupid as when you try to create a video game and people insist you have to reinvent gravity when instead you could be focusing on the gameplay, the mechanics or the story.

Tangentially related question: anyone know of any good free resources for learning Theory of Computation?

I started watching the UCDavis lectures from 2011 on youtube, but then when he introduces generalized NFAs he hand-wavingly says you can use regex's between nodes and starts building on that without explaining how exactly that would work. He'd done some other bad things before that, but that fucking killed it for me... anyway, anyone know of any good free online books or lecture series for Theory of Computation

>reinventing the fucking wheel just to get a job

Attached: giphy.gif (480x270, 528K)

>Studying Computer Science
>Science
Tada.

If you don’t like your university, go to those code boot camp things.

You’ll be just as useless.

This

Are you trolling, or are you this crappy at algorithms and math? Like the guy you're responding to said, the math thrown at CS undergrads is baby bullshit compared to what math and engineering majors have to learn. You must be one of those shitty coders who writes a couple of scripts that call on some bloated libraries to do some shit (having not even a vague clue about how those libraries work), and then you think you know what you're doing when you've done nothing more complicated than connecting legos.

loling at your life right now.

>University
Should have gone to college.

>wah wah they make us take college algebra

>In my second year of a CS degree and they're making us take bullshit classes about theory that have no fucking application in the real world.
CS all about computational theory. That's literally the entire point of the degree.

If you wanted to learn to program, you should have gone into Software Engineering or gone to a vocational school you fucking retard.

AAA video game programming, especially for titles with custom engines that mostly hire programmers as opposed to armies of 3D artists, is one of the most difficult and competitive fields of programming you can get into.

It's actually a very good example of a field where you do need the mathematical analysis of algorithms. There's a ridiculous amount of bullshit being done to compute those massive detailed frames sixty times per second, and just as much to guarentee that it'll do that without occasionally pausing for a few seconds.

If you had given an example like building a website or making CRUD apps for companies, sure you can do that easily without a CS degree. But working as a video game programmer when your main skill is programming rather than making art assets? That's much harder, and underestimating it is a clear sign that you don't have enough real world exposure to understand what tasks are easy and which ones are difficult.

Should've taken CE or SE you retard. Science is not about real world applications.
Maybe even MIS, it has all the MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISE QUALITY you want.

Sounds like you don't want to be in Computer SCIENCE. Go get an online degree in programming

Theory does help you get jobs, though. No one but webdevs or interns who climbed the ranks through connections and showing results get jobs without proving to interviewers they know the theory behind what they're attempting in their projects. You'll just end up implementing code that 'just werks.'

That's why, you know, you get internships and stuff

>thiking computer science is just programming
If you wanted to just learn stuff related to work you should of gone to tafe user Uni is for learning.

Unfortunately, shit like this gets posted at least once in every two weeks :'(

Jow Forums is full of retards like OP who think that the only thing they need to know is 50 programming languages and 100 frameworks (and are incapable of learning them on their own, so they require a special institution to spoonfeed them)

kys

Not sure if also OP but kys anyway

>he doesn't know about math solving programs out there.
aced every single math class.

Attached: 1514483257675.jpg (586x580, 470K)

CS PhD student here. Contrary to popular belief, a Bachelor's in CS is not a programming degree. Sure, the first couple of classes will teach you to program, and many of the classes that follow will have programming assignments, but ultimately, you are expected to supplement your coursework with internships or open source experience if you wish to use it to become a programmer.

You might think this is absolutely silly, but there's a reason why CS classes aren't glorified boot camps. You spend a minimum of 4 years on a bachelors no matter what, and in those 4 years, if the university was teaching some cutting edge technology currently being used in workplaces all over when you started your degree, by the time you finish it, they may easily have switched to some new thing. So rather than trying to play catch up with an industry that can never make up its mind about what it wants, CS schools teach you enough about programming that you can pick up anything you need within a couple of weeks, and focus the rest of their efforts on theory, so you can tackle new problems as they come, or at least you'll be equipped to tackle CS research.

The vast majority of programming jobs are going to have you making CRUD applications. You could probably make one without a university degree. But after 10 years of making dumb CRUD applications that anyone could make, wouldn't you want to try your hand at something more challenging? Well, if you don't understand CS theory, you're not going to be able to tackle the harder problems. As one of my old professors once said, "I don't care what our students are doing 4 years after they graduate, I care what they're doing 40 years after they graduate." Or something to that extent, maybe it was 2 and 20 years.

fellow australian?

is tafe a better pathway into programming than uni? I'm nearly at the point of choosing which way to go.

drop out and go to a code monkey training camp then you moron. CS isn't about javascript code monkeying.

Oh, look some stupid brainlet thinks he knows what's good for himself.

Go shit on a street, dumbass. Nobody needs you to infect this industry with garbage low wage web developers whose only knowledge of a programming language is that "it fuckin works"

Attached: time for your (You)s.webm (1280x720, 2.86M)

tafe is the pathway into nubile arab and chinese girls

A good blog post on reinventing the wheel, and why you should do it:
blog.cerebralab.com/#!/blog/11

Theory lets you pick up one memetech after another instead of having to go to training camps every time the industry shifts.

Though, I'll admit colleges really don't teach enough trade. You can always take an internship.

Attached: 1412648918262.gif (210x230, 1K)

Hey PhD guy: got any recommendations for learning Theory of Computation? Preferably something I could find for free online (like a free book or series of lectures on youtube), though I'm willing to pirate in a pinch (I've heard good things about Sipser's book)

>It seems like I'm taking a mathematics degree with the amount that I'm having to do.
1. The math you have to learn is entry level
2. In my third world university, we have both majors, computer science (the whole science) and computing (for code monkeys). I don't really understand why people in first world countries do CS when they only want to code.

The sad thing is that a lot of CS grads are like OP, and a lot of CS departments have been catering to them. I had a friend who was a CS masters student and was teaching CS101, and she told me that she was only allowed to fail 5% of the class. She had students that were submitting shit work and obviously had no fucking clue about basic things, but she had to pass them because they did better than the guys that didn't even bother showing up or submitting the homework. I had kids in my classes that were blatantly copying off of each other, and the professor overlooked it because if he didn't he'd have to fail so many kids that it'd reflect badly on him

Computer science is literally an area of math that got big enough for its own department. Damn you're dumb.

Honestly, having only read what I've been required to for classes on the subject (my main specialty is in security, not automata/computability stuff), I don't think I could make a well-informed recommendation on the subject as to the best resources.

That said, if you're just looking for something that's free, here's something I found in like 10 seconds that seems relatively new (published in 2017):
cglab.ca/~michiel/TheoryOfComputation/TheoryOfComputation.pdf

>Theory with no application in the real world
>Claims kid with no knowledge of real world

Did you ever bother to look up the definition of compute before you decided to do a CS degree?

>I had kids in my classes that were blatantly copying off of each other, and the professor overlooked it because if he didn't he'd have to fail so many kids that it'd reflect badly on him

You see, professors should not be letting crap like that slide. You catch your students cheating? You give them a zero, and you give the class a lecture that looks like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=rbzJTTDO9f4

>Study computer science
>Mad that he has to be knowledgeable when it comes to general scientific knowledge too
Whew OP, you really are a faggot

It's okay I'm failing community college at 25 because I'm lazy and I've never had a job. Probably just gonna go back to muh cyber crime to support myself when I run out of patience

>Practising medicine without knowing physics
That's what you call nurses, they just do shit they are told without having a deep understanding of it

I was going to come into this thread and rip your ass apart, but everyone else already did it for me. Suck it up, pussy.

lol sweet thanks, I don't know how the hell I missed that when googling it. I'll check that out