How did you stop language hopping? I can't make up my god damned mind

how did you stop language hopping? I can't make up my god damned mind.

Attached: programminglanguages.png (600x249, 187K)

Install Gentoo

Use C

learned java and got a job

>He doesn't like learning and using multiple languages

Finish a big project, and don't let yourself blame the language for stopping you. Try implementing your own compiler (or bytecode-compiling interpreter) for a language you think you want to use. You'll quickly get a better appreciation for why existing languages make the tradeoffs they do.

Do you have any project recommendations? Or, for scale, what a big project is in your eyes?

Big enough that you get 10% of the way through implementing it and you're refactoring your code so much that you're tempted to start over. In other words, it's more about your attention span than the project itself.

Choose the language that works best for your needs/goals. And if your needs/goals aren't specific, your language choice probably doesn't need to be either.

I see the reasoning. I'll pick something and start rolling with the punches, thanks!

specific requirements

By not jumping language to language to impress Jow Forums.

Realize it's about the platform, not the language.

While they're are some outliers, when it comes to OOP languages in general, they more or less do the same thing.

What's important is the platform, associated ecosystem, and developing your skills as a developer. These are transferable and what's most important.

You may find yourself enjoying one language over another, or finding some more effective than others, but you'll come to realize that it really doesn't matter too much. Languages are just the tools on the shelf. You need to be a great craftsman to use them, and use them well.

The most important thing is yourself and your ability to design, problem solve, and write robust, maintainable systems. Languages are mostly irrelevant.

Pick a platform, go deep, get better.

But don't choose anything involving SharePoint or PHP.

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleagues come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."

As the deadline fast approaches,
And bugs are all that I can see,
Somewhere, someone whispers:
"Write in C."

Write in C, Write in C,
Write in C, oh, Write in C.
LOGO's dead and buried,
Write in C.

I used to write a lot of FORTRAN,
For science it worked flawlessly.
Try using it for graphics!
Write in C.

If you've just spent nearly 30 hours
Debugging some assembly,
Soon you will be glad to
Write in C.

Write in C, Write in C,
Write in C, yeah, Write in C.
Only wimps use BASIC.
Write in C.

Write in C, Write in C
Write in C, oh, Write in C.
Pascal won't quite cut it.
Write in C.

Write in C, Write in C,
Write in C, yeah, Write in C.
Don't even mention COBOL.
Write in C.

Rust came out and it does the job of everything else but better.

Realise, that once you learn to program and understand the basic concepts a programming language is nothing else than a filter. Meaning the choice of language is important, but secondary and depends largely on the task at hand. Once you've learned to 'think like a computer' that being simulating a program, multiple codepaths etc in your head, learning a language becomes trivial.

>...sharp

when will the C meme die

Why do you consider C a meme and what would you use to replace C?

REEEEEE FUCK OFF PAJEET

>Pearl

>Practical
>Extension
>And
>Report
>Language

>Steven!

JavaScript

C is the answer to all your questions.

Use whatever your job uses and then make decisions based on that

I call it Language shopping. Best thing is that 99% is free!

Hahahaha, incredible, friend! I'm going to post this on my Twitter!

I language hopped for long time. Then I realized I'm tired of it and decided to choose an area I could stand. I then learned the languages popular in that industry

C++ has everything you want

>Try implementing your own compiler (or bytecode-compiling interpreter) for a language you think you want to use.
Actually don't do that.
Not long until you will become angry that even your toy language does many basic things like source code inclusion or variable scoping & declaration objectively better than existing languages and their creators were fucking retards.

other than countless miscellaneous simple projects, i've recently (past year) been taking an active approach to learning programming.

I started a project involving a lot of data manipulation. MS Access was not going to cut it... so I started learning sqlite.

By the end of the year I had these ridiculous bash/sqlite scripts that crunched a bunch of 200mb .csv files into exactly what I wanted, and I had become obsessed with optimization and making the scripts as automatic as possible.

Recently I've started porting it all to python... Which has opened a new paradigm for this same project. The code is all portable now- I can copy the container folder to a Windows machine with python installed, and it works exactly the same. I was anticipating it being much harder to accomplish portability... But, with the right tool, it was relatively painless.

So, figure out what you want to do first, and pick the tools that will allow you to accomplish what you need to do. I personally have a very hard time learning pure concepts and need a way to apply myself and see an end result.

No successful programmer sticks with one language forever, that's counter productive.

>I need to make a front end for my website, better use the only language I'll ever use for the rest of my life, which is C

Got a job.