Are they good laptops? build quality etc. My knowledge of HP is abysmal support and trash low end quality...

are they good laptops? build quality etc. My knowledge of HP is abysmal support and trash low end quality, but how do their high end lines compare? Their specs are very good value/money compare to XPS in 8th gen

Attached: hp spectre.png (573x430, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ThinkPads, yo.

Just like Dell, their Business grade is good, while their consumer grade is trash.
And just like everybody else, they're trying more and more to sell consumer grade shit with a business grade sticker on it.

The spectre? Hell yeah.
High end from any brand is super nice, every brand has their low end with low quality and their high end.
Business stuff is in between.
Lenovo makes some super shit low end laptops, nice business stuff and super nice high end.
Same for HP, they make a lot of consumer trash, have their nice elite books, and then their high end stuff.

I would recommend it, it’s aesthetically beautiful and is built super solid.

hp laptops are shit
sony laptops are shit
literal all laptops are absolute plastic overheating shit unless you're buying a used thinkpad or a refurb 2015 macbook pro bc you've got some dough.

seriously dont drop large cash on a laptop. buy a $400-500 halfway decent laptop with a really good screen because you know it's gonna break within ~3 years. spend the rest on a desktop/mini ITX and if you're doing anything intense use the desktop- thunderbolt 3 opens up possibilities to use external graphics cards on the laptop when connected to the desktop.

im not even sure what your end goal is use case on the laptop but an MS surface or the new $299 ipad with any generic bluetooth keyboard + owning a desktop would suffice all your needs.

I have an HP ENVY x360 15something and after roughly 120 man-hours of work I have a computer that works really well, feels elegant. and looks sexy as fuck.
Pros:
> relatively fast
> lot of storage
> can handle a lot of open applications at once
Cons:
> Uses HP's UEFI programming which is shitty as fuck and very difficult to get to allow you to dual-boot - any modification to the MBR and it defaults to Windows 10.
> Can't game (I don't care about this but you might)
> Minor VM issues, all just because VMs use a lot of system resources
> Shitty support
> Initial touchpad drivers have issues and the uninstall and reinstall process is buggy

I have a friend with the spectre pictured and he has no complaints aside from gaming.

Also what this guy said , if I had it to do again I'd have ignored the peripherals I bought and just gotten a ThinkPad.

>High end from any brand is super nice, every brand has their low end with low quality and their high end.
>Business stuff is in between.
You are windowlickingly retarded if you think business grade is somehow in the middle of a manufacturer's quality spectrum.

Attached: 1520648167606.png (774x572, 352K)

I need something portable and professional looking as I'm a consultant. (To normies not autists) The new XPS with intel/vega hybrid looks like my best option atm with the xps of the same spec $600 more expensive.

Unironically mbp
Would never use anything else again, windows pc are all pajeet tier quality

Clearly you've never used their Zbooks. Mediocre throughout

if you're working with normies just get an iPad and bluetooth keyboard for show, they love it. cheapest option. take notes, research, photos, do the real shit on a goddamn desktop.

I can't get a desktop because I frequently move between countries. I don't want to spend a ludicrous amount on a laptop, but I do want a great monitor and enough juice to decode h.265 films which are my main source of entertainment at home and on the move. I'd appreciate some recommendations, but these $1700-2200 laptops seem to be the sweet spot for build quality, spec and design at the moment.

The only laptops ever worth buying are MacBooks and ThinkPads.

if you want a good screen you literally will not get a better one than an Macbook display.

flat out, the color gamut is fantastic and corrected properly from the factor, the retina display as gimicky as the name is does live up to the hype.

The 15" macbooks (refurb 2015's with AMD cards are the BEST bang for your buck) or the new ones are gonna fit that price range, give you the screen you want, and guaranteed decoding power.

plus the whole fucking thing is aluminum, and as a video editor who's forced to own one bc clients hand over final cut projects, i've had this 2012 edition i got from a friend with the NVIDIA chip and yeah, this thing still runs and looks new. can't say that about the pc laptops i used to own, after a year something would break or it wouldn't hold up to basic wear and tear.

apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

save $400+ they literally take the ones that have been returned to stores within the 14 day period, they get new aluminum casing and have an extended warranty.

thanks for the suggestion. I've got to say that from my experience at work I really didn't like the apple ecosystem, interface and lack of compatibility. I have no doubt that is some good hardware for the price, but I'd rather not buy into their business model. I do also enjoy some light/older games and I intend learn a bit about linux with it too, but I'll take your advice and check out XPS refurbs etc as well.

Ive been working on one today, quite flimsy. The screen is sometimes a little blurry too.

HP probook/elitebook is where its at

>after a year something would break or it wouldn't hold up to basic wear and tear.
That's what you get for buying consumer grade

How is the hinge? My biggest issue with my previous laptop was its godawful cracking hinge that also put pressure onto the bezels. It was otherwise very solid and lasted 5 years without issue

>Dell consumer grade trash
Fucking retard
XPS 13 is top tier

I've been thinking of the new XPS 15 too. I can live with it being USB-C only but I'm concerned about the linux support and battery life, especially since it costs so damn much.

I'd get one of the previous gen ones for linux. They have pretty good support (I believe even linus uses one). The vega version has about 1.5-2 hrs reduced battery life so that on top of linux lack of optimisation is going to drain fast for you. That said, AMD have been improving on the driver front recently and I believe you can use chill on it in both win10 and linux

Linus uses the XPS 13, the new vega powered one is the XPS 15 2-in-1. While the 13 would undoubtedly have a longer battery and no driver issues I'm interested in the larger screen and better performance. The regular XPS 15 isn't really an option since the nice screen is locked behind an nvidia GPU added upgrade which I've understood to be a dumpster fire on linux right now.
>That said, AMD have been improving on the driver front recently
I've heard this too but since Vega M is a very recent thing I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm planning on waiting for some reviews before making a decision.

I checked out the apple store here for aus and the only 2015 refurb mbp is $2600 lmao

Why do High-end dells feel so shitty?
Latitude line? Shit speakers and screen quality
XPS line? Shit panel that will latch on to every grease stain
Precision line? literally DOA

the matte panels are fine

I own an XPS 13 and my literal only complaint is the keyboard and "carbon fiber" material are huge fingerprint magnets. Everything else is top tier build quality and once you use a laptop with bezels this thin, everything else looks archaic.

HP's business line is the Elitebook.

Once you spend money on something, you sale is considered a vote whether you like that thing or not. This leads to every innovation appearing good to a company, and is likely why laptops keep getting worse.