Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1523334852872.webm
useast.cloveros.ga
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

post ur gentoo desktop with this thread open
stop larping cause we know u aredumb to install gentoo

Same user

I know that feel, OP

Attached: 2018-04-09-234806_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.65M)

thread theme
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1523334852872.webm

CloverOS is gentoo for retards

Stupid frog poster.

True, but CloverOS papes are the shit

Fastest distro I ever used

Attached: 2018-04-09-220144_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.7M)

Isn't that just Gentoo ¬.¬

Yeah, and it installs in 2 minutes

It doesn't compile packages?

It's an optimized Gentoo image with a binhost configured in /etc/portage/make.conf

more info: useast.cloveros.ga

It's good if you want a speed riced Gentoo install without any effort

why does it have no torrent links

so it's gentoo but installs like ubuntu? wew that's literally the perfect distro

If you use the base system. I wanted kd e so it took like 20 minutes. It's ridiculous light. I haven't used it because I'm paranoid and it's maintained by one guy.

installs better than ubuntu

g-guys i use arch and it just w-werks

My man what's wrong with ur English

install gentoo

Attached: g.jpg (396x385, 33K)

can someone help me with this:

ubuntu, fdisk /dev/sda, command 'p' and i see my partition table. There is unused space of 2046 sectors between sda1 and sda2 and this triggers me and makes me mentally retarded. How can I get rid of this gap?

resize sda1

>5
expand sda1

extend sda1

do i have to just delete sda1 and make it again in fdisk? its 487mb i think its used to start up linux. i see other options such as gparted and resize2fs.

>require 24/7 high performance computing
>CPU bound
>gentoo is significantly slower because you need to spend time compiling binaries

delete and remake it, you don't need to reformat

Like with some other Gentoo derivatives, you can still use portage. As far as I'm concerned, it's not very retarded to use this, even if main Gentoo isn't all that hard either.

Absolutely not. It's only maybe annoying to run Gentoo on a really shitty potato of a machine, otherwise most compiles are over pretty fast while you also do your other stuff.

OTOH I did months worth of updates on a 10 year old laptop with a HDD (not a SSD) and that worked fine while shitposting and watching movies, so even potato machines are relatively fine.

> CPU bound
With a SSD, probably so. On HDD a modern CPU can easily be so fast that you're mostly IO bound on a lot of compiles / installs.

lol my fucking fx-8350 can emerge packages as fast as it takes to download from debian's slow ass server

>OTOH I did months worth of updates on a 10 year old laptop with a HDD (not a SSD) and that worked fine while shitposting and watching movies, so even potato machines are relatively fine.
What about compiling web browsers? I woudln't want to keep my computer up for 20 hours just to compile a single browser, not to mention it would make full daily updates impossible if there's plenty of software to update.

cloveros is botnet

Am I cool now?

Attached: gentoo-thread.png (1280x720, 206K)

Fuck Gentoo Debian 4 life!

Attached: screenshot-2018-04-10_08-44-34.png (1600x900, 149K)

GTK Theme: Boot Menu

Nice blog. Subscribed!

Works just fine on my Pentium G4560.
>you need to spend time compiling binaries
The computer does the work, not you. You only need to tell it to start - after that, you don't even have to be present. Also, if you set PORTAGE_NICENESS to like 19 and the computer should stay nice and responsive for you even while it's compiling.

25 seconds for surf & 11 minutes for otter browser on my most potato of machines - an AM1 5350.

Chrome and Firefox have a -bin package.

>mfw I want to use gentoo for the memes, but USE flags are tedious and compiling packages takes forever on my laptop

Attached: 1506445958055.gif (636x758, 14K)

what are the advantages of compiling over just installing from a package manager if you dont plan to edit the source code? is it a philosophical thing or does it have any utility?

You can still change compile-time configurables on the software (for instance, dropping gnome dependencies from various packages) or use alternative compiler toolchains (clang instead of gcc & thinLTO enabled for example - or the now widespread PIE binaries).

Of course it's also a way to get packages for your specific variant of ARM or MIPS or whatever other CPU instruction set that isn't all that common.

>can't stop compiling chromium

Autocorrect on a phone keyboard. It turns posts into garabge if you aren't careful.

It's the worst. It takes like 6 hours and I have a xeon. It maxes out my cpu. Firefox takes like 45 minutes.