So...

So, in the latest episode of Silicon Valley the character Gilfoyle (pic related) has an audible alert set up for when the price of Bitcoin is profitable to mine.
He uses this alert to manually remotely toggle his rig.
Keep in mind, this is a world-class programmer, so why doesn't he write a script to toggle it automatically? Am I missing something?

Attached: re4GQgG[1].jpg (1920x1080, 112K)

>not being in full control of your mining rig at all times

>Am I missing something?

You have autism.

fucking this

is there really no way to securely control that automatically?

he doesn't actually plan to mine bitcoin for a profit. It's not practical or profitable in any way nowadays. He also included a loud as fuck and annoying alert sound that is played at full volume to the whole office. Note that the alert cannot be turned off. He's really just fucking with everyone.

I know that, but hypothetically wouldn't it be feasible and preferable to control it automatically?

Because he's a jaded asshole and does it on purpose to make people around him suffer.

Do you literally have autism?

Because how else would they make a joke at buttcoins expense?

yes and it definitely could. that's not the point of his alert though

It's a tv show

I know this, it just really piqued my curiosity to think that in that scenario it would be the incorrect manner of approaching the problem

>why would you have a man in the loop in an application where money is involved

>Money
>Bitcoin

Kek

>audible alert set up for when the price of Bitcoin is profitable to mine.
Wouldn't it be better to set up alert for when the price of Bitcoin is profitable to SELL?

if it was fully automated, what are they going to show on tv? a terminal with text scrolling by? hardly any of the watchers will get it unless there's some intervention involved

It's called poor writing.

This makes zero sense.

You don't make money from mining unless you actually, randomly, generate a legitimate block with some currency in it.
You can turn your rig on and off as much as you want, but unless you actually mine a profitable block you haven't earnt anything.

Also,
>bitcoin being profitable to mine
HA!

It is a TV-series. That's what you are missing.

>Am I missing something?

yes, you are watching soy entertaiment

The entire premise is retarded. Bitcoin is not ever profitable to mine with normal computers anymore and there would never be a good reason to turn your miner on and off even if it was. Don't put too much thought into boomer misconceptions you see on tv.

It's an adhoc explanation to troll your coworkers. Noone turns their miners on and off. They run 24/7.

>2018
>Thinks people still mine by themselves

Attached: brainlet.jpg (645x729, 48K)

Bitcoin has all the characteristics of what's defined as money, unlike that piece of paper you currently use that's only good for wiping your ass with.

that's relative to when/what price you bought it at.

I saw Napalm Death live a few years ago. I was looking forward to hearing that song but was disappointed they never played it. Turns out they did, and I was so shitfaced I missed it.

no valid argument. 0/10

Attached: disagree.jpg (707x530, 48K)

Bazinga!

Test