Lighting is technology

Lighting is technology.

Are LED bulbs good or botnet? Should I use something else instead?

Attached: phcnd4we14fro_2pk_1024x1024.jpg (1024x977, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lamptest.ru/results/
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-led-light-bulbs/
engadget.com/2016/11/03/hackers-hijack-a-philips-hue-lights-with-a-drone/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>LED bulbs
>botnet

quality thread

>botnet
Jow Forums brainwashing at it's finest

>tfw your new lightbulb firmware update bricks your lights

ignoring the idiotic part of your question, colored LED's are better for your eyes and sleep than CFL's. Google 'Cicardian Rythym'. I have 3 of these set up with f.lux, and I've never slept better.

Led bulbs are the good. Go to your power company’s web site and you may be able to order bulbs for 98 cents each. I ordered $250 worth of br30 for $36 plus shipping.

You need full RGB house lighting for the pro-gamer

Whatever you do don't get into the Hue ecosystem.
I started with 2x of the cheapeat bulbs and a bridge, i'm now many 100s of pounds deep with no end in sight

>using proprietary lighting
Utilising any photons not emitted by the sun means you're getting buttfucked by Google.

Was it worth the hassle tho?

Not him, but I've got a bunch of hue stuff and I love it. I just wish the switches supported state pushing instead of having to fucking poll the things for automation.

LEDs are getting better, look for high CRI lighting. The older LEDs had really bad CRI (color rendering index) and just looked unnatural, newer ones have gotten better. For interior lighting I prefer warmer lights in most application, something like 3000-3600K. They still aren't as pretty as regular ol' incandescent in the light they put out, but they are getting better and it is worth the tradeoff for the longevity and electricity savings imo.

If you are looking into a botnet to control them, the best one is Lutron.

You can find spectrum, blinking and CRI measures here:
lamptest.ru/results/

IKEA bulbs seems to be best choice for buck.

Attached: file.png (486x862, 221K)

Why can't I find many dimmable LED lights that have a colour temperature of around ~3500K?
Most LED's either come in "warm" at like 2700K, or "cool" at like 6500K.

Hue is pretty good. Expensive, but the lights are definitely high-quality. Not even that botnet, either. They function entirely over zigbee and LAN. Even the app uses a local connection if you're on LAN, so its completely possible to firewall the hub without losing any functionality.

I had to replace the light bulb on my ceiling fan and the only one around was an LED bulb so I took that. It's not bad so far and hopefully lasts longer than any normal bulb I've put in there. Might even be a bit brighter.

>Lighting is technology.
No shit, Sherlock.

I do have to admit i wouldn't go back, it does hurt everytime i get any new addition though.

Once setup it's a seamless integration though, very intuative.
Never had any problems/bugs

It's the classical opener to a non-Jow Forums thread.

But this isn't a non-Jow Forums thread. You're just as retarded as OP, it seems.

Morons. Purebread Morons.
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-led-light-bulbs/
engadget.com/2016/11/03/hackers-hijack-a-philips-hue-lights-with-a-drone/

Attached: thiskillstheretards.jpg (403x235, 26K)

So, every led lightbulb ever is a 'smartbulb'? Otherwise OP's question is retarded.

That's only because it's connected to a smart home system. If you just plug the bulb into a lamp it aint gonna do that.

>because it's connected to a smart home system
If there is will there is a way.

Replaced all my br30 cam bulbs with Phillips warm glow led (gets warmer as it dims). Replaced my dimmers with lutron maestro cl dimmers.

Beware of the flickering light of some LED bulbs. They can harm you if you are sensitive to such things.

Go and record a video of the LED bulb (with the 'slow motion' mode of your phone camera if available). If there is flickering in the light you will see black bands moving in the video. That's an interference pattern between the actual flickering of the light and the capture speed of the camera sensor. Since the pixels are not captured simultaneously but sequencially you will see black bands if the light was off at the time that row or column was captured.
The effect is more pronounced when the light bulb is the only source of light in the room.

That's the same thing that CRTs would do isn't it? Cameras recording those would always do that flicker shit.

Tplink smart led bulbs, are they worth it?

They require an internet connection, so no.

Yes.

>The joke about something ridiculous being botnet has been made a billion times on Jow Forums
>People still can't tell
holy actual autism

No and you should buy them right now before we hit peak LED. When peak LED hits they are going to make bulb lifetimes shorter so they can sell more

the cheap ones, like the ones that are now literally cheaper than incandescent, have no ability to process information whatsoever.

I only use KDE(TM) bulbs

Attached: bombilla-led-de-filamento-e27-6w-600-lm-kde-23901762z0-12093767.jpg (500x500, 51K)

that's the joke, retard

LED lighting is shit because backwards capability
E socket is trash
Bad rectifiers causing premature failure and flickering, stress on the eye etc
The patrician way is a big 2Kw Power supply in your distribution panel, powering all your lighting with 50V DC
everything else is nigger rigging level

Yevgeniy, we use CIE 1923 for CRI figures in the civilized world.

Nanoleaf Aurora master race

>smart light bulbs
>lights getting hijacked
Why the fuck does every little insignificant thing in the world have to be made "smart"? This shit is getting so retarded it almost angers me.

Attached: lkg.jpg (500x333, 32K)

Lights are one of the few actually useful applications of IoT brainlet.

Why do a light need an internet connection?

It doesn't. Network doesn't necessarily mean internet. As it was point out earlier, Philips Hue bulbs for example, don't actually require an internet connection to function--you can control them from your phone so long as you're on the same network as the hub. Pretty sure the switches still work even without a network since they're all just connecting to the hub via zigbee, and the lights don't actually connect directly to your network.

Smart light products do require an internet connection if you want to control your lights while outside your LAN, though.

Attached: light bulbs.png (1640x800, 560K)

IoT doesn't stand for network of things.

>durr durr hurr duhhhh
I'm sorry you have brain damage, but please try to contain it.

>claim _Internet_ of Things is useful for lights
>ask why
>goes on about how you can use it on LAN
Sorry but how did your post answer my question in any way?

quality ones are much better than other energy efficient options, but still have relatively shitty color reproduction.

IoT is generally used to refer to all networked devices with small embedded systems that allow for inter-device communication and automation. It doesn't strictly require an internet connection. Does that make it a stupid word? Yes, probably. It's a buzzword. But it's also the most convenient shorthand to refer to networked devices with embedded systems used for inter-device communication and automation. Would you prefer if we called it NDwESUfIDCaA?

they leak cancer causing gasses
and when they break everyone within the immediate vaccinity is fucked

No it's not, IoT is specifically for internet using devices.
Internally networked lights is home automation without IoT.

The post that claimed IoT is useful for lights was also in direct response to a post about the problems of every device having an internet connection.

Additionally, you failed to mention anything useful about it.

You really will have to tell me what it's like to have brain damage, user. Your condition fascinates me.

>lol u r stupid!!
Wow, I bow to your superior debate skills.

Typical brainlet response, you even understand why you're retarded lmao

Better than CFLs definitely, but still not an incandescent

Referee here.

You are wrong, he is right.

Cheap leds are really shit. better off getting fluorescent if you need bright light or halogen bulbs for decoration.

First one is for rich people, we have expensive electricity here.

>u r stupid times two!!!!111
You're just boring now.

Yes, cheap LED's are shit but expensive LED's are (generally) awesome.

It's really unfortunate that most people buy the cheapest crap first, and then get put off of new technology.

Same as with people buying $300 windows crapbooks before switching to a $2000 Macbook "because all Windows laptops are shit"

>Cheap leds are really shit. better off getting fluorescent
Cheap LEDs are as shitty, as cheap fluorescent. But they don't sell shit in wallmart tho.

>Same as with people buying $300 windows crapbooks before switching to a $2000 Macbook "because all Windows laptops are shit"
I've switched from 2000$ macbook to 300$ crapbook, performance is the same, all Appel products are sheit.

That's the whole problem: people only look at performance/stats, without considering build quality, screen, keyboard, trackpad, etc.

If you're buying LED's and only look at lumen/$ you're going to end up with a flickering piece of shit with a crappy spectrum and a short lifespan.

>build quality,
Don't care, plastic is better since it doesn't give you a tickle.
>screen
My crapbook has an LG screen with similar density and colours. Even apple icc works fine.
>keyboard
Better.
>trackpad
Only this.
>If you're buying LED's and only look at lumen/$ you're going to end up with a flickering piece of shit with a crappy spectrum and a short lifespan.
Sure. But you can test most lights before buying. I've found LEDs with good enough CRI (as good as CFL) for 2$/6W bulb. And it had switch-mode driver, and no visible flicker.

Rich people don't waste money

Attached: license.png (1640x800, 178K)

You need to buy the ones with CRI90+

>using light bulbs
enjoy your government spying on you and communists who subconsciously try to make you gay by hacking into your light bulb. if you have even a tiny bit of knowledge about technology you'd only use bonfires like me.

Does anyone actually sell 90% NTSC LEDs in bulbs, or are you talking about 90% of a shitty incandescent lightbulb? Because almost anything can do the latter these days.

Attached: e9d.jpg (600x600, 16K)