Dedicated music player

I'm looking to get a dedicated music player. My iPod classic got jacked a couple days ago (along with my earbuds so I'm up for suggestions on those too in the $70-100 range) and I'd like to replace it. Since they don't make classics anymore I'm looking at the Fiio X3 markiii. I like having physical buttons to operate through my pocket while I work so if I can I'd like to steer away from an iPod touch or similar.

INB4: "just use your phone like the rest of us faggot".

I like to disconnect from work and I don't have internet at home so I don't want to use data to stream.

Thanks guys.

Attached: fiiox3mk3.jpg (1394x729, 159K)

A Cowon J3 is pretty good in my experience although the UI is old and proprietary which can throw you off - I don't think you can rockbox it either. Can be an older Plenue model if you want, or a Sansa Disk Clip if you want something smaller/cheaper.
FiiO is good too, there's also Astell&Kern or Onkyo.

I appreciate it. I've been out of the game for so long I just don't know the reputation that comes with any of these names so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks friendo.

FiiO, A&K, Cowon and even Sony are good to chose from. I think Onkyo is relatively new, but they've been in the sound business with stereo speakers for a while. Hope you enjoy whatever model you end up getting.

>pmp thread?
pmp thread

Attached: 20180305_083250.jpg (4032x3024, 3.76M)

Unironically your phone. Use airplane mode, buy a cheap DAC dongle (Sabaj DA2) and you're done.
Most DAPs are utter garbage and largely overpriced.

The only dedicated players I've heard that weren't complete shit were Onkyo DPX-1a and the A&K AK320.

>799$
>949$

If you want to use it at home then use your computer. Get a decent home audio setup.

I would if I had a computer...

I use it when I go to the gym or work in my workshop or around the house. I really like to leave my phone in the truck and go work on some project in the workshop and disconnect for a few hours.

Thing is I've been using a Gen 7 iPod for the last 7-8 years or so I'm sure I'm not used to the crem de la crem.

Also I can't spend that kind of money.

Attached: 20170702_145735.jpg (4032x3024, 3.12M)

The new shanling m0 is looking pretty nice for around $100

I have a Ruizu x02 that I sometimes use at work because it's so lightweight and I don't like to carry shit on my pockets while working.

Any cheap shit until your headphone/iem goes past $200.

IPod classic? that's still as good as it gets
Also, buy a computer for fucks sake. A decent lightweight one with good speakers. You don't need internet for a computer to be useful for file/media storage.
How do you plan on putting music on a dedicated PMP without a computer? Buy a boombox and CDs on eBay/amazon

>laptop
>good speakers
Doesn't exist

Not really a laptop but the current iPad pro has pretty godly speakers for a portable device.

Huawei Matebook X and Pro.

>"just use your phone like the rest of us faggot".
It's funny because most new phone these days doesn't even have headphone jack anymore.

Any budget daps that run android?

When I was doing spring cleaning, I found my old (2nd gen) ipod Touch. The thing still turned on, so that's good. Question is, is there a way to put music on an iPod touch without using iTunes? I know there's built-in methods through winamp for ipod classic/mini/nano/whatever, but it doesn't seem to detect my touch.

There's also some thing called WALTR but when you run it it's like some unskippable shitty infomercial about a guy trying to sell the license to you. I could probably crack it, but I'm not so willing after it's tried to shill itself to me that hard.

Not the cheap ones
Unfortunately cheap ones are basically a gamble in sound quality.

You really don't want that

Look around a bit, it's old enough for some softwares to work.

My dad gifted me a portable dac/amp, and I've been using it w/ my day-to-day phone. It's a bit tedious for when I want to use my phone for other stuff. I don't know know what else can be otg'd other than android sources.

Recent DAPs can, the ones that run linux.
Apparently Sony ones can too.
"Cheap" (they're not really cheap) Android DAPs run like bottom end android phones from 2011.

Is all this hassle even worth it?

I mean, I'm sure that a high end DAC with headphones on par will sound better than my shit, but right now using my phone and some chink IEMs I'm quite happy, and I think I should spend some considerable amount of money to get a real improvement.

I mean, a gift's a gift.

Probably not
Even if you spend considerable money, you may still not find a big improvement.
You might like it less even.

i just bought an old sony walkman the other day.

clip zip w/rock box. dual booting with rockbox 3.13 (3.14 has voltage scaling for the clip zip that can cause crashes / freezes on some units) and the latest original firmware. i use rockbox when it's hooked into good speakers or headphones (crossfeed and dithering are great), and the original firmware for other situations (because it's better for battery life). really nice player.

Glad to know I had a good one then.

I own my own business so I do all my music transferring when I'm in town. Same with movies. I'll torrent one that looks good then play it through my PlayStation when I want to watch it.

Sell all your dumb bad tech accessories like the PlayStation and get a computer

what earphones?

ALL DEDICATED PLAYERS ARE DEAD TO ME

All my music is in the cloud.
I stream all the podcasts I listen to.
I never download any music or podcasts.

Attached: 1523358057415.jpg (1083x1200, 190K)

hf5

smartphone, guys, come on...

thanks fampai

What's pd supposed to mean?

Attached: Astell_Kern_-_AK_240_Blue_Note_-_01_1024x1024.jpg (1000x667, 69K)

cultist, spread your propaganda elsewhere

What's a good dedicated player with actual bluetooth?

Are you never without network access? About 50% of the time I listen to music I don't have reliable network connections.

Did you read his post fuckwit?

My go to is my rockboxed Xduuo X3 with two 128gb microSDs in.
Latest build of rockbox made for it seems to be based on the Sansa Clip rockbox instead of the generic Rockbox firmware it used to have, so it has great battery life now. (Reports 11 hours remaining on a full charge)
It also charges in rockbox now so you dont have to reboot it into the official firmware to make sure it charges properly (though why you'd ever want to use the ofw is beyond me).
And database is no longer fucked on it.

zune HD, it has an option button where you would find the volume rocker on a phone, but it makes the screen a controller that you don't even have to look at to use: vol up, down, forward, back, ff, rev, and pause are all right there.
Also the DAC is very nice, there's a reason 32GB zune HDs still go for $100 all these years later

my FiiO X1 works great with my Shure SE215s

Attached: download.jpg (239x211, 5K)

That doesn't make any sense, they use complete different platforms.
Rockbox codebase is shared except the hw specific parts.

I have those but what's up with those tips? Some sort of aftermarket? Do they isolate more? I tend to like Ety tri-flange but am open to something better.

>Deadzone
>can't listen to music even though you have an audio player and headphones
Good going